Solved

Meter display blank after power cut - what's happened?

• 28 January 2019
  • 3 replies

I’ve a ‘pay as you go’ meter. We had a power cut today morning after I noticed that meter display is blank. The red light is flashing there’s no digits and some bad noise. Could you help me please?
icon

Best answer by Nancy_Boost 7 February 2019, 12:24

Hi @FRANK,

Sounds like your meter has gone faulty following the power cut. This is not uncommon for older types of electricity meters.

The meter should stay on, providing you had credit on it before the power cut. We can't arrange an emergency meter exchange unless the meter has actually turned off. The best thing to do in this scenario is get in touch with the team (0330 102 7517) and arrange a faulty meter exchange for a future date (usually around 17 working days). If the meter does go off before this appointment, then get back in touch immediately and we'll be able to get an engineer out within 3 to 4 hours for an emergency meter exchange.

Hope this helps,
Nancy
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hi @FRANK,

Sounds like your meter has gone faulty following the power cut. This is not uncommon for older types of electricity meters.

The meter should stay on, providing you had credit on it before the power cut. We can't arrange an emergency meter exchange unless the meter has actually turned off. The best thing to do in this scenario is get in touch with the team (0330 102 7517) and arrange a faulty meter exchange for a future date (usually around 17 working days). If the meter does go off before this appointment, then get back in touch immediately and we'll be able to get an engineer out within 3 to 4 hours for an emergency meter exchange.

Hope this helps,
Nancy
Hi there,

My meter has been showing a blank screen since last Saturday (assumed it was a power cut), I have had an engineer out today to look at it as it was classed as an emergency but they advised that they can't do anything until it goes off supply and have confirmed that the meter won't run out of credit which has eased my worries.

I have an installation date for a new smart meter of Monday 30th September however I live in a block of flats and they need to turn off power for my neighbour , I have spoken to him today and he seems ok with the power going off but the engineer advised that they will require access to their property but I'm unsure that my neighbour will be available for the slot between 2-6pm. I have contacted Boost to see if the engineers have any closer slots and also weekend slots as advised by the engineer however they advised they can't look for a new slot without losing my current slot which is a bit of a backward system in my opinion.

My concern is that my neighbour won't be in at the time (I don't know my neighbour or his schedule) so wanted to try and move my appointment to a weekend slot or a closer appointment as it's currently 6 weeks away. Would Boost consider this a higher priority as if they can't gain access to his flat they won't be able to install my meter (they have to turn off both mine and my neighbour's electric for a short time due to how it's been wired up).

Is there anything else I can do? Surely if they can't fit the meter I will continuously stay on a credit meter which I can't pay until they swap meters.

Any information would be much appreciated and apologies for rambling on.

Many thanks

Oliver
Userlevel 4
Badge
@oli_1_uk I've moved your post over here, as it's very relevant.

Hi @FRANK,

Hope this helps,
Nancy

It's worth having a read of Nancy's answer above for further info.

Thanks,
Ed