Solved

Why does my balance drop straight away after topping up?

• 17 January 2019
  • 17 replies

Hi there. Can someone tell me,if I put £20 on card,do I get the full credit or do they charge for using PAYG. When I was with another company,if I put £20 on Iwould only get about £18 credit.
icon

Best answer by Tim_Boost 11 February 2019, 12:35

Hi there. Can someone tell me,if I put £20 on card,do I get the full credit or do they charge for using PAYG. When I was with another company,if I put £20 on Iwould only get about £18 credit.

Hi @prezo1

If your balance drops when you top up, it will likely be unpaid standing charges, unpaid emergency credit, or a debt's been loaded onto the account.

Look on Boost Answers for info on these possibilities, or let us know your set up so we can advise!
View original

17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @prezo1

If your balance drops when you top up, it will likely be unpaid standing charges, unpaid emergency credit, or a debt's been loaded onto the account.

Look on Boost Answers for info on these possibilities, or let us know your set up so we can advise!
Userlevel 1

Anyone else had this issue my old man been topping up 20 pound and they been taking 14 pound off like every 2 weeks why is this boost! Been doing this for a year and I just found out and he did not receive a welcome pack when you took over from old supplier and try and ring you guys but always hang up after 5 mins

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Marlen401 

It sounds like a standing charge debt to me. 

If you are in your emergency credit, standing charge doesn’t get deducted, until you next top up an amount that would put you above 0. When you do this, it’s all taken at once, resulting in a balance that was less then your top up. 

Let me know what you think,
Tim

Userlevel 1

Good theary but I don't even have the chance to get emergency credit just puts the 6 pound there and when I use that within maybe 3 4 days just washing up I can't use gas again and I didn't receive a welcome pack or anything so I don't know if it's that but as I said I can't get through with them on the phone 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for confirming, @Marlen401 

The next most likely reason is that there’s a debt loaded onto the meter. Can you send us a piccy of the meter showing the display screen?

Userlevel 1

There it is 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks @Marlen401 - it’s handy to have this piccy. 

I can see you’re meter at the point of taking this photo was in emergency credit, meaning every day that passes a standing charge debt will accrue. 

If you press A for a second time, you’d be able to view if there’s any loaded debt.

Userlevel 1

Why isit always in debt then every top up it takes 14 pound and even though I don't use that amount it's still loads 

I have only ever been on PAYG with Boost I have no debt with Boost and have checked my meter which shows I have no debt.

However for the past month or so Boost have been taking money off of every single top up regardless if I had any money left on the meter to begin with or having not used the emergency at all. This is roughly £11.00 each time. This obviously means my tops ups don’t last long at all. I usually put £45-60 a month on my electric depending on how cold the weather is. Since the beginning of December I have put roughly £149.00 on my electric.

My electric ran out this afternoon so I put the emergency on and then decided to film the meter when I topped up. The emergency had £4.62 out of the £5 remaining. When I topped up £20.00 with my key. It accepted the £20.00 credit, and then immediately dropped to £7.93 and I have no idea why. This has happened with every single top up so my credit isn't going to last long at all. I would like to know what I am being charged for and why this has been happening. I have rung Boost only to be told it isn't an emergency so I can only contact them via email and yet no one has bothered replying to my emails.

If anyone has a clue what is happening and why I would very much appreciate it because I am beyond upset.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @pudding21 

This sounds similar to what was described by @Marlen401 - what’s the latest on this one, Marlen?

@pudding21 can you confirm you don’t have smart meters, and the meters aren’t showing any loaded debt?

I’m having similar issue, I used my emergency credit, all of it, topped up £20 and was still about £2.50 in debt. Can you please explain where the rest of the credit went? I used my emergency in the space of 24 hours and topped up immediately after it ran out. 

My £20 top up has lasted me 24 hours. I use one room at a time and have done nothing but have a shower and watch YouTube with one light on in the room. As sad as that is. I havent even cooked or done a load of washing. These are images I took before I topped up 24 hours ago. What is a token charge??

I do not have smart meters and as the images previously posted show there is no debt. This is what my meter shows this morning before I had to put the emergency on. I had £7.93 after my £20 top up. So I've been charged £8.14 for 24 hours. £20 usually lasts me over a week.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @pudding21 @rache 

Looking online ‘token charge’ is the minimum credit required to reset the emergency credit. 

@pudding21 can you confirm how much actual credit was left after the top up you made 24 hours ago (now 48 hours ago). It does sound very odd that you would use up all the credit and that emergency credit within that space of time. 

Are you both able to check for loaded debt on the meter? See this page to confirm the screens you need.  

£7.93 was left on my meter as credit after I topped up £20.00. I also have no loaded debt on my meter. I am payg and have been for years so I don't see how I would have debt with Boost either. Why would my token charge be as much as £13? Even if the emergency is used that is only £5

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

£7.93 was left on my meter as credit after I topped up £20.00. I also have no loaded debt on my meter. I am payg and have been for years so I don't see how I would have debt with Boost either. 

Thanks @pudding21, it’s possible to have a loaded debt on the meter and be prepayment. It’s actually the most likely reason for credit dropping after a top up. 

Did you work out how you can check for a loaded debt via this page?

Why would my token charge be as much as £13? Even if the emergency is used that is only £5

If you go into your emergency credit, standing charge isn’t taken. And if you top up that emergency credit to stay on supply but not enough to get above £0, this standing charge debt can build up. 

That and a loaded debt are the usual causes of this credit dropping…..

Userlevel 1

Move suppliers I have now everything is fine now so if I was you guys run away lol