Solved

What do I do if there's debt on a meter when I've just moved in?

• 6 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

We have just bought a property with the boost meters , never had these before so not sure about them, only just realised there is a debit on the gas ….how do I get this cleared as it isn’t my debit……..also we asked to have smart meters put in as we are to old to go crawling on the ground to see the gas meter but reading on here about the problems people are having with them I’m now not sure this is a good idea. Think it maybe better to change supplier?..please help...

icon

Best answer by Ed_Boost 10 February 2021, 11:30

Hey @Chrissyb,

Welcome to the forum!

When you move in, you need to call us on 0330 102 7517 to get an account set up in your name. The adviser will also be able to help with any debt that’s left on the meter.

If it’s a smart meter, they’ll remotely remove it when a new account is created, but if you have traditional top up meters, they’ll get a code generated so that you can pick up a message from a PayPoint to wipe the debt.

If the debt is over £50, we’ll need you to send in a tenancy agreement, to prove that the previous tenants who’s debt this belongs to no longer lives there. The email address to send this to is hello@boostpower.co.uk. I’d recommend sending this in first, then calling us so that the adviser can find the email, and do it all in the one call.

There’s a bit more info on this link on what to expect when moving home.

Thanks,

Ed

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 1

Thankyou , I have emailed them and sent photos of my top up receipts .

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @Chrissyb,

Welcome to the forum!

When you move in, you need to call us on 0330 102 7517 to get an account set up in your name. The adviser will also be able to help with any debt that’s left on the meter.

If it’s a smart meter, they’ll remotely remove it when a new account is created, but if you have traditional top up meters, they’ll get a code generated so that you can pick up a message from a PayPoint to wipe the debt.

If the debt is over £50, we’ll need you to send in a tenancy agreement, to prove that the previous tenants who’s debt this belongs to no longer lives there. The email address to send this to is hello@boostpower.co.uk. I’d recommend sending this in first, then calling us so that the adviser can find the email, and do it all in the one call.

There’s a bit more info on this link on what to expect when moving home.

Thanks,

Ed

Userlevel 1

Hi I have rung that number three times, I wasn’t told any of this. We moved in on the 25th jan and as we didn’t know anything about these meters as we always pay direct debit. We have topped up three times and three times it has taken £7 of the ten I put on the card.so I have already paid £21 of the debt and there is another £24 to pay! ...we now own this house and I am not very happy with these meters or the customer service I have received 

Userlevel 5
Badge

That sounds about right, @Chrissyb, the meter will take 70% of a top up to pay off any outstanding debt.

What I’d suggest, is to call again, explain the situation, and if you have receipts of the top ups that 70% were deducted from, send pictures of them to us at hello@boostpower.co.uk. We’ll then be able to wipe the remaining £24 debt from the meter, and load £21 credit on to refund you for the credit that paid off the debt.

Userlevel 1

Also I was not offered a new payment card I am still using the one from before… very poor customer service and lack of information 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Sorry to hear that payment card hasn’t been sent out, @Chrissyb.

We’ve outlined some advice in this topic for that one. Let’s try our Support team and get one sent out to you:

The best thing to do is to email hello@boostpower.co.uk, or drop a message via Facebook messenger or Twitter. Whether you get sent on in the post or given a code to pick one up at a PayPoint depends on the urgency.

Hope this helps,
Tim