Boost have been failing me for over a month.

Boost is easily the worst company I have ever had to deal with. In ANY industry!

Here’s the story!

I moved into a council flat on Feb 6th in newcastle. At first, I couldn’t find who my gas supplier was, but after a few phonecalls, I found out it was boost. 

I called them on Monday 7th Feb and started the process of getting gas supplied to my flat. I told them I was off supply, that I didn’t have a topup card as the previous tenant didn’t leave it, and also informed them that due to mecical reasons I should be on their vulnerable persons register. They gave me a code, and told me to go to a local paypoint shop and they could give me a card. I visited every paypoint within a few miles of my house, and they all said they didn’t have cards, or if they did, only British Gas. 

I called back the customer services on the 8th Feb, and said I couldn’t get a card, so they said they could post one out to me. At this point I am still off supply, freezing cold in my house, unable to have a bath, etc. I was offered no immediate solution to my problem, and was told I would have to wait 3-5 days for the card. 

So I waited. I contacted customer services again on the 16th Feb. By this point I have been off supply, freezing cold without hot water for 11 days. They said they would post a card out to me but it would take 3-5 days again. This time however I was told I could have an engineer come to add emergency credit to get the gas supply on. So on the 16th Feb I got gas supplied. 

Then, on the 20th Feb the measly £5 emergency credit ran out and I was off supply again. They sent an engineer again. This engineer informed me that my meter was 25 years old, and really needed to be changed. 

This time I got £10 credit, which lasted my until today. 2nd March, and ran out again. I still do not have a topup card. I have been told 4 times that one has been requested. 

Today, I spoke to customer services again, and they informed me they would book me a meter swap to get a smart meter. I accepted this offer. I was told I could not get installation until the 25th March, but at least it will happen. 

Now, at 7.45pm I received an email from Boost saying that because only my gas supply is with Boost, they cannot give me a smart meter unless I switch my electricity as well. But they also say that they are not accepting new customers so I cannot swap my electricity to them until later. so as it stands I am being left with unstable gas supply, no topup card, and a 25 year old meter. 

To add to this, a week ago I submitted a formal complaint on the Boost website and have not received any response to it. 

This is disgusting. Boost power need to be ashamed of the way they do business. 

I will be sharing this everywhere to get as much publicity on it as possible. I have also sent it as a complaint to the energy ombudsman. 

I’m hoping I can get my electricity supplier to take me on for gas as well, otherwise I am in big trouble. 

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @tomlikeafox.

Firstly I want to apologise for what sounds like a really challenging experience. This isn’t the level of service we aim to offer when you move in to a home we supply.

If the previous tenants didn’t leave you the top-card cards/keys we can get you a new set sent out or these can be collected from your local Pay Point if they have our cards in stock. You can view a map of your local Pay Points here - We’d recommend giving the store a call on the contact details provided to check they have a Boost card before making the journey to collect.

As you mention you weren’t able to collect a top-up card from any local PayPoints and were off-supply, an emergency engineer’s visit should’ve been arranged to make sure you were back on supply as soon as possible. It’s really disappointing to hear that this wasn’t initially arranged, particularly as you mention being on our Priority Services Register. 

I’d like the opportunity to follow up any shortfalls in service you might have experienced so have requested your account details via a private message.

Userlevel 1

@tomlikeafox.

I emailed the COE of OVO and a few directors yesterday and told them to have a look on this forum after having issues myself with OVO and Boost

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/switching-suppliers-and-moving-home-144/how-can-i-move-from-a-pay-monthly-ovo-account-to-a-pay-as-you-go-account-with-boost-10077/index2.html#post49346

I got a response from head of complaints in 60 mins hopefully it will get sorted ASP for you

Userlevel 1

@tomlikeafox.

You may not have to wait long i got my Boost contract emailed to me today on a Saturday  2.15pm :grinning:

Just need  numbers to log in app or purchase at paypoint. I hope they email them and i am not waiting 5 days with possibility they fail to turn up like you

@tomlikeafox.

I emailed the COE of OVO and a few directors yesterday and told them to have a look on this forum after having issues myself with OVO and Boost

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/switching-suppliers-and-moving-home-144/how-can-i-move-from-a-pay-monthly-ovo-account-to-a-pay-as-you-go-account-with-boost-10077/index2.html#post49346

I got a response from head of complaints in 60 mins hopefully it will get sorted ASP for you

If you would be willing to send me a private message and share the email address, I would be grateful. I’ve had no help of any note Just every department telling me there’s nothing I can do but wait. 

Userlevel 1

Tomlikeafox

sent you a PM

Userlevel 4
Badge

Just wanted to step in here to mention that any emails sent to our CEO or directors would get logged as a formal complaint much in the same way as registering a complaint via our website or directly with the Support Team.

Whilst I have been in touch directly to try and get your issues resolved, I appreciate the difficulties you’ve both experienced recently, @Inhouse and @tomlikeafox

Our complaints process would allow us to investigate your experiences fully and aims to offer you a fair resolution.

I hope we are able to reach a solution for you both promptly.

Just wanted to step in here to mention that any emails sent to our CEO or directors would get logged as a formal complaint much in the same way as registering a complaint via our website or directly with the Support Team.

Whilst I have been in touch directly to try and get your issues resolved, I appreciate the difficulties you’ve both experienced recently, @Inhouse and @tomlikeafox

Our complaints process would allow us to investigate your experiences fully and aims to offer you a fair resolution.

I hope we are able to reach a solution for you both promptly.

I have used the complaints process. I submitted a formal complaint using the web form 2 weeks ago and still haven’t even had it acknowledged. 

Userlevel 1

Inhouse

Here is my honest unbiased opinion  the government have  put electric companies in a impossible
situation and if they dont wake up and smell the coffee its going to end in tears

I would not want to be in Jess.Tim. customer services job at the moment for any price
they must be absolutely overloaded with work.

Sadly sometimes things go array that normally would not i would like to think that is what happened
this time. you have to remember Jess and Tim can only pass information up the ladder and hope it gets delt with even then it takes time.

I have had 40 years dealing with utility companies and due to circumstances i doubt 98% of people have  not had so much interaction.

The old PAYG meters are a pain when people move in have the tee shirt at least 40 times over.

To anyone thinking of moving suppliers unless you pay over the variable rate  you can not at least i have not been able to but if you could imho be careful  dealt with most over the years and despite these hickups

i rate OVO as one of if not the best subject to resolving current issues

Been told things are in pipe line which i know is true so i would defiantly sit tight.

Let me know what your outcome is via pm and i will tell you my honest opinion but i am confident its in right place to get a satisfactory outcome  lets be honest at the very least they could of sent cards/key via registered delivery in your exceptional circumstances  even in a taxi

Some of what you have been told on the phone  well i wont comment yet would not want to embarrass anyone unless i have to.if its getting sorted .

remember what you have been told was by some poor sole in a overworked customers service department and you should be confident it is being delt with by people who want a satisfactory outcome

Keep me updated

Userlevel 1

Tomlikeafox

Sent you a pm will have you in stitches its like pulling teeth

Userlevel 1

Tomlikeafox

Finally got contract Saturday and top up numbers today one down
Still waiting a call from complaint follow up team but imagine they wait for things to cool off ..lol

Just yours to go have you heard anything yet ?