Solved

Why is My Smart Meter Beeping?

• 6 January 2018
  • 3 replies

Update 25/02/2020 - If anyone else is getting a beeping noise from their meter, please stick a message in the comment below, so we can help further!

My meter is beeping every few minutes, I think it is because it can't connect to my internet. Does anyone know how to solve this please?

icon

Best answer by Lucy_Boost 8 January 2018, 12:51

My meter is beeping every few minutes and I think it is because it can't connect to my Internet so does anyone know how to solve this please?

Hey Michelle and David,

What is the meter beeping noise like? Is this definitely coming from your meter rather than your In Home Display? Your electricity smart meter also creates a short-range wireless network called HAN (Home Area Network). This allows it to communicate with your gas smart meter and devices like an In-Home Display or Smart Gateway.

Since your gas meter doesn’t have a SIM card of its own, it uses HAN to send its messages to your electricity smart meter, which then forwards them to OVO.

If there’s ‘no HAN’, your gas smart meter won’t communicate with your electricity smart meter, so we won’t get your meter readings automatically. Again, just like ‘no WAN’, you’ll need to give them to us the old way through My OVO.

Please let us know a bit more about the beeping noise so we can help further.

Lucy

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

My meter is beeping every few minutes and I think it is because it can't connect to my Internet so does anyone know how to solve this please?

Hey Michelle and David,

What is the meter beeping noise like? Is this definitely coming from your meter rather than your In Home Display? Your electricity smart meter also creates a short-range wireless network called HAN (Home Area Network). This allows it to communicate with your gas smart meter and devices like an In-Home Display or Smart Gateway.

Since your gas meter doesn’t have a SIM card of its own, it uses HAN to send its messages to your electricity smart meter, which then forwards them to OVO.

If there’s ‘no HAN’, your gas smart meter won’t communicate with your electricity smart meter, so we won’t get your meter readings automatically. Again, just like ‘no WAN’, you’ll need to give them to us the old way through My OVO.

Please let us know a bit more about the beeping noise so we can help further.

Lucy

Hi, I have a secure liberty 100 smart meter and it is currently beeping every 45s - 1min, it is a high pitch beeping noise, the wan light is on and everything is working ok but the beeping is driving me mad.

I read somewhere it could just be the battery but I dont want to open it myself just in case…..

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hey @chris0107, I’ve moved your post here, there’s handy info above. I’d recommend dropping the team an email here: hello@boostpower.co.uk, the team will be able to take a look into this. 

Thanks!