Tutorial

What happens when I switch away from Boost with smart meters?

• 18 April 2019
  • 2 replies
What happens when I switch away from Boost with smart meters?
Userlevel 4
Badge
So it’s time to say goodbye to Boost. We wish you could stay, but we understand that if we love you, we have to let you go. We also have to make the move as smooth as possible for you, so here’s a few points that’ll help cure your concerns!

Once you’ve signed up to a new supplier, they will work directly with us to complete the switch over process. You’ll know when we’ve been contacted by them, as you’ll get a letter or an email from us confirming you’re leaving. You should also get a letter or email from the new supplier telling you the date the supply switches over.

The night before the switch, we’ll put your smart meters into a ‘credit mode’. This means that you can’t be disconnected, even if you have no credit. We do this because it often takes a few days before your new supplier will have a stable connection to the meters, so it’s safer to keep you on supply whilst neither provider can connect to your meters remotely.

Credit can’t be transferred from one company to another, so your meter will look like you have no credit. Don’t worry though, it’s not disappeared into a tech black hole, it’s still sat on your now closed account with us. Get in contact with us via hello@boostpower.co.uk, on the phone at 0330 102 7517, or via Twitter or Facebook, and request this back, we’ll get it sent over to you in the form of a cheque.

If your new supplier doesn’t use the same smart meter model as us, they’ll either need to put you on a pay monthly contract, or exchange your meter for one they can communicate with. There are currently 14 other suppliers that use the same meters as us:

Utilita Energy Limited
Co-operative Energy Ltd
First Utility Ltd
Electricity Plus Supply Ltd t/a The Utility Warehouse
Toto Energy Limited
E (Gas & Electricity)
Spark Energy Supply Limited
Eversmart Energy Ltd
EON Energy
Robin Hood Energy Limited
Ecotricity
Bristol Energy
Our Power Energy Supply Ltd
Octopus Energy

I hope this answers your questions, but if there’s any other queries you have, please leave a comment below, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

2 replies

Hi i want switch off the energy supplier top up because i change for monthly payment with british gas
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Daduska20,

I've moved your question over here, you should be able to get all the answers about switching away here.

Thanks,
Ed