Question

Tried to switch supplier with a smart meter but they told me I was listed as a 'business' - why?

Userlevel 1
I went to switch supplier from boostovo and was told by the other supplier that my user database is showing I am a business and not a residential property and was also told to ask you to update the database (SSC) I hope I havnt been paying business rates can you help me please, I am straying with boostovo now but would like this update applied asap please, many thanks.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi @heatherr thanks for posting.

It’s possible that your smart meters are set up with ‘half hourly settlement’. Some suppliers confuse this with a business supply, when it's labeled on the national database. Get Boost to contact any supplier that does to clear things up.

If the database is wrong this is a a simple fix and I don't suspect to have hadn't any effect on the charges it's a simple box wrongly marked - if you drop the boost customer care team a message online (Facebook, twitter or email) or a quick call and they'll be able to update the database for you immediately.

hope this helps
Userlevel 1
We are trying to switch suppliers away from boost, only to find out we can't because our home is flagged as a non domestic supply ( business residence) which it isn't, e- mailed a couple of times, but no reply? Anybody any idea why this is??
Userlevel 4
Badge
@kate4nath, I moved your question over here, as @mattj3135 has given a great explanation!

You can contact us by calling 0330 102 7517, via email at hello@boostpower.co.uk, or via our Facebook or Twitter pages: https://www.facebook.com/boostpoweruk/ and https://twitter.com/boostpoweruk.

Thanks,
Ed
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey @kate4nath did the above make sense? Did you manage to resolve this?

Let us know!

Darran
Userlevel 1

tried phoning i got told i have to wait a month for the database to be updated which is a lot longer than immediately and with boost’s raised prices i just want out.

Userlevel 1

i was assured by the end of the month i could leave and i will be switched back to residential well clearly that was a lie because i still can’t leave boost whats going on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, ill have to give ofcom a call honestly this is pathetic.

Userlevel 1

a month and no reply by a member of staff, clearly appreciated here and this is down to your company my address was not ever registered as business till i joined your company.

Userlevel 1

Hi @heatherr thanks for posting.

It’s possible that your smart meters are set up with ‘half hourly settlement’. Some suppliers confuse this with a business supply, when it's labeled on the national database. Get Boost to contact any supplier that does to clear things up.

If the database is wrong this is a a simple fix and I don't suspect to have hadn't any effect on the charges it's a simple box wrongly marked - if you drop the boost customer care team a message online (Facebook, twitter or email) or a quick call and they'll be able to update the database for you immediately.

hope this helps

only if this was actually true… (the part about it being a simple checkbox is, but the part about boost doing it for you and immediately is not true)

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi @ownprox 

Boost would submit a request to the national database to update your meter details. After this, its up to the database to process the request, which can take up to 4 weeks.

If it still hasn’t been updated, we can chase it up for you. Please give us a ring (0330 102 7517), drop us an email (hello@boostpower.co.uk) or send us a message on Facebook (m.me/boostpower) with your account number, full name and DoB.

Rest assured you’re not registered as a business supply, and this has no affect on the rates you pay.

Thanks

Userlevel 1

its been exactly 1 month and 1 week still cant leave this hell, so its 100% a lie that it takes a month even though updating a database is a simple process and it is a numeric / Boolean variable that needs changing it literally takes about 30 seconds to change ive been waiting for over a month what is even going on ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

phoned many times………….………………..

i have been facebooking / ringing your team doesnt do anything just say your still in a queue well hello its been over a month???????????

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @ownprox,

I edited your comment above to remove the explicit words that are not accepted on this forum.

The process of changing any details on the national database usually takes around 2-3 weeks, but shouldn’t be taking this long.

I’ve advice chasing this up with the Boost care team on 0330 1027517, between 8am - 8pm, Monday to Friday to chase this up.

Thanks,

Bradley 

Userlevel 1

ITS BEEN 1 month and a week i just phoned up your support said you changed me over to domestic so i tried to switch again guess what got lied to by your agent my household is still registered as profile class is 00 and needs to be domestic on ecos database i have now been lied to many times by your staff can you please just sort this crap out its stupid now.

Userlevel 1

i have been lied to several times on the phone by boost support telling my they switched / switching my property type to non domestic / residential apparently im registered as a business address (because of boost) and because of this i cant leave now i phoned up 2 times a month and a week ago was assured the changes were taking place in national database today i phoned up bingo the support said yes its updated so im like finally time to try my 3rd time switching (filling info in 3 times for another site is not fun) oh guess what rejected due to business address my meter is marked as type 00 / Business on the eco’s nation database but wait dint boost customer support just confirm they updated it apparently they lied...

Userlevel 1

Thanks boost finally i just phoned up the other supplier again and told them that you said you switched me and there finally attempting to take me on sorry for previous messages was just a bit frustrated.

Userlevel 1

it gets worse so i was accepted for the switch guess what they noticed that my electric is still businesses wtf boost?????????????????

BOOST WHAT DO I DO YOU HAVE ME STUCK IN A DAMN HOLE IVE RANG YOU 5-7 TIMES CAN YOU PLEASE STOP BEING HELPLESS.

its bloody Christmas and you got me fing about on the phone to no ends im still stuck in the same hole i was 5 weeks ago yet i was assured by your own support team this situation was and would be solved in 4 weeks around 5-6 weeks ago pathetic support also i have phoned up and been assured i was not classed as business anymore well i clearly am according to other providers i also spoke to a manager that assured me its fine to switch now…

i just want to simply switch providers this should be a simple task boost you have made this near impossible for me and its not fair at all, I’m very dissatisfied with how i’m being treated its almost like im stuck in a cage with your company i wanted out 5 weeks ago yet you still hold the keys… also how have you updated my gas but failed to update my electric on the eco’s database when i phoned up i wanted both changed.

Userlevel 1

Might make a report if this is not solved within the next few days i refuse to wait 4 weeks again and to anyone else needing to report boost link below will help you do so:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/complain-about-your-gas-or-electricity-bill-or-supplier

im fed up of trying.

Userlevel 1

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Userlevel 1

7 December 2019

Boost Power
1 Rivergate, Bristol BS1 6ED 

Type of supply: Dual fuel
Account number: 6687679

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Complaint against Boost Power

Wont let me leave asked 5 weeks ago to get the eco's database updated so i can leave well guess what still i cant leave they seem to of updated my gas to non domestic / residential and well i requested both gas and electric to be switched over now they are holding me ransom at super expensive prices and wont let me leave its like im in a cage and they hold the keys i have phoned support many times wasted over 10 hours ive been trying to switch to bulb now for over 5 weeks which is 13.5p kw/h so every day im not at bulb im getting ripped off and boost support team are doing basically nothing to help you can follow the situation at: https://forum.boostpower.co.uk/smart-payg-23/tried-to-switch-supplier-with-a-smart-meter-but-they-told-me-i-was-listed-as-a-business-why-143

i would like to have both my meters registered as residential in the ECOS national database like requested 5 weeks ago this is preventing me from leaving and the incompetence of this company is frustrating i just want out switching should be a easy process boost has made this near to impossible im stuck running round in circles.

I understand you have 8 weeks to resolve my complaint before I can go to the energy ombudsman. I first contacted you about this on 9/11/2019 by telephone. If we haven't agreed a resolution about my complaint before the 8 weeks have lapsed, I understand you'll issue me with a deadlock or 8 week letter which means I can then take my complaint to the energy ombudsman.

Please respond to my concerns, including any other information you feel would help resolve this complaint.

Please reply in writing within 10 working days. If you fail to respond in this time, I will consider taking the matter further.

Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

Steven Corner

Userlevel 1

PROFILE CLASS 01 is residential not 00 like you have set my electric meter which means i can’t switch still because its still not residential funny feeling you guys knew this and did it to keep me another 4 weeks to rip me off even more. MAKE SURE ITS 01 at ecos database you updated the gas meter fine but failed to update the electric one correctly which is pathetic you knew what i wanted you knew what i needed and you failed to provide thanks boost merry Christmas to you to… rip off’s