Solved

My smart meters have just reconnected to Boost and charged me £140. Anyone else had this issue?

• 11 January 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

So I had a smart meter fitted in 2016, and since then it’s been great. Up until about June when the meter stopped sending readings to the supplier. I kept topping up by auto payment every week or so until one day it took £140 in a day out because it had just “reconnected” to the suppliers readings! It keeps saying they have lost the connection to my meter but won’t come out to change it or see why exactly this is happening! I can’t be charged £140+ in one day! That’s not what these meters are for. Anyone else had this issue? 

icon

Best answer by Nancy_Boost 13 January 2020, 15:56

Hi @Victoria.agostini,

It sounds like we’ve got intermittent signal with your meters. When this happens, we may not be able to deduct your usage costs for the duration of time we lose signal. When we regain signal, your charges will be deducted in a lump sum. We can normally move the amount owed to a debt balance with a daily repayment rate. If you need us to do this, please give us a ring (0330 102 7517), drop us an email (hello@boostpower.co.uk) or send us a message on Facebook with your account number, full name and DoB.

There are some checks we’d need you to do in order to determine what the issue with signal is. They are as follows:

1) Confirm your smart meter serial numbers -  each is written directly above the barcode on the meters and should begin ‘G4P...’ for gas and ‘14P, 15P, 16P...’ etc. for electricity.

2) Look for a light labelled WAN on the top of the electric meter - is it flashing/solid/off?

3) Look for the word HAN in the bottom right corner of your gas meter's display screen - is it flashing/solid/off?

4) Press 0 on your gas and electric meter - does it show the time and date or the word COMMISSION?

5) Press 9 on your gas meter and provide your current reading which appears after the word ‘VOLUME’.

6) Press 9 on your electric meter and provide us with the current reading on the meter which appears after ‘IMP KWH’.

7) Where is your electricity meter situated? E.g. inside, outside, in a metal box, near thick walls, the basement or anywhere that could be blocking signal.

8) Where is your gas meter situated? E.g, outside in a brown box in the ground, inside under the stairs.

9) Is there a good, medium or bad mobile signal in your area, and next to the electricity meter in particular?

You can complete these check at home and then send your responses to us via email or in a Facebook message.

Hope this helps!

View original

4 replies

I checked my account on the app on Friday, it showed £32 in credit, this morning I've had a text saying about being disconnected. Checked the app and now I'm -£75. 49 and being disconnected in the morning. How does this happen? I can't afford to pay that in one go. I've been topping up every week and used my winter wallet. I've not had nay notification of this charge and I'm so angry about it. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi @Victoria.agostini,

It sounds like we’ve got intermittent signal with your meters. When this happens, we may not be able to deduct your usage costs for the duration of time we lose signal. When we regain signal, your charges will be deducted in a lump sum. We can normally move the amount owed to a debt balance with a daily repayment rate. If you need us to do this, please give us a ring (0330 102 7517), drop us an email (hello@boostpower.co.uk) or send us a message on Facebook with your account number, full name and DoB.

There are some checks we’d need you to do in order to determine what the issue with signal is. They are as follows:

1) Confirm your smart meter serial numbers -  each is written directly above the barcode on the meters and should begin ‘G4P...’ for gas and ‘14P, 15P, 16P...’ etc. for electricity.

2) Look for a light labelled WAN on the top of the electric meter - is it flashing/solid/off?

3) Look for the word HAN in the bottom right corner of your gas meter's display screen - is it flashing/solid/off?

4) Press 0 on your gas and electric meter - does it show the time and date or the word COMMISSION?

5) Press 9 on your gas meter and provide your current reading which appears after the word ‘VOLUME’.

6) Press 9 on your electric meter and provide us with the current reading on the meter which appears after ‘IMP KWH’.

7) Where is your electricity meter situated? E.g. inside, outside, in a metal box, near thick walls, the basement or anywhere that could be blocking signal.

8) Where is your gas meter situated? E.g, outside in a brown box in the ground, inside under the stairs.

9) Is there a good, medium or bad mobile signal in your area, and next to the electricity meter in particular?

You can complete these check at home and then send your responses to us via email or in a Facebook message.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@Debs85 - I’ve moved you post over here, it looks like you’ve experienced the same issue. Please check my best answer above for more info. 

Userlevel 1

I checked my account on the app on Friday, it showed £32 in credit, this morning I've had a text saying about being disconnected. Checked the app and now I'm -£75. 49 and being disconnected in the morning. How does this happen? I can't afford to pay that in one go. I've been topping up every week and used my winter wallet. I've not had nay notification of this charge and I'm so angry about it. 

Hi debs, 

I have actually switched suppliers today as today was my last straw. It’s all BS blaming it on signal issues. Someone was supposed to call me from management today but they haven’t bothered. So I’ve switched. It’ll take 21 days or so, but I can’t live in fear of getting a text saying I’ll be “disconnected” when one day I have £150 from my winter wallet and the next it’s all gone and then some. Also, I’ve spoken to citizens advice and it’s actually illegal. The contract you entered into was for a PAYG PRE payment meter, not a meter that takes it out whenever they feel like it, leaving you in the red in your bank account. It’s actually disgusting. And you can never get hold of anyone. Switch to SSE or anyone who can deal with smart meters, and don’t let them fool you with the whole “we can reverse the charges and you can pay us back per day, we can catch it within 24 hours and reverse them” because I’m a week later and I’m yet to see any reversals. It’s all lies and bs. Sorry Debs.