How do I reconnect my smart meter after going off supply?

• 23 January 2018
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

The first thing you need to do if you’ve gone off supply is to make a top up payment at your local PayPoint, or if you’re a PAYG+ customer you can also top up online or via the app.

You’ll need to have a positive credit balance for your energy supplies to reconnect, so make sure you check the balance, to know how much you need to top up by. it's important to remember that your usage costs whilst you were in your non disconnect period (for PAYG+) or your emergency credit (for PAYG Standard) will need to be paid before going into a positive balance.

If you have a traditional meter, it will reconnect as soon as you make the top up. If it doesn't, please call us on 0330 102 7517.

If you have a smart meter, you may need to manually reconnect your supply. To do this, please press A, A, B on the meter's keypad.

With PAYG+ you might need to type in a 'reconnection code' into one of the meters, but this will be outlined to you via email or SMS (depending on your communication preference).

With PAYG Standard, if your gas meter shows ‘VEND’ rather than ‘CONNECT’ then your top up hasn’t worked. If this happens, you’ll have to enter your top-up receipt number by hand. Find your top-up receipt and type the number into your In Home Display (IHD). If there’s no connection, you can use your meter keypad – just press A to start.

For your safety, make sure your boiler pilot light is relit and there’s no gas escaping from any fires, hobs or any other gas appliance that were being used when the gas went off.

*Updated on the 01/07/2019*

14 replies

I have credit on my account and still I'm waiting for the electric to go on.
New customer went active this week. Hadn't realised I was active yet and was still attempting to top-up my old supplier. By Friday, the supply switched off and I discovered I was now active with Boost. I have only 1 card. I topped up £10 on Friday tea-time and my electricity supply was reconnected. At night, my heating wouldn't come on. My smart meter read £16 odd estimated bill for electricity. For gas it read £7 and supply off. I attempted to log in online to top-up with my card as the shops were now shut. It didn't email me a password. I requested one several times across Friday night and Saturday morning.

On Saturday afternoon, around 2:50pm, I topped up £20 cash at the shop. I came home and attempted to push A B on the meter, but the top-up hadn't been received. I attempted to enter the code, which was rejected. The receipt says payment successful. I repeated several times. I waited 30 minutes and attempted to enter the code again, several times. I then attempted to enter it several times on my IHD, which repeatedly failed. My IHD now reads that my estimated electricity bill is £17 odd, the gas £7 and supply off. I then attempted to phone Boost, and they are closed on Saturday from 2pm. I have to wait until Monday.

I re-requested a password, and this time I received one. Once logged in to the app I found the top-up has shown up on the Top-up History. My account balance is £23.45. I cannot see any further details regarding my electricity and gas balance, and why my gas supply will not switch on. I then decided to fill in an online contact form to seek help at around 3:45pm. It is currently 4:20pm, I have had no reply.

I am unable to heat my home, dry my washing, bath my young son etc. I am very unhappy with Boost I strongly regret switching from Utilita, I don't know why I did, but I will be switching back. They did not ever switch off my supply between 6pm and 10am, or from Friday evening until 10:30am Monday, or holidays. They gave credit, emergency credit, and then friendly credit, and I never ever went without gas the entire time I was with them. I recommended them to people all the time. After switching to Boost it's taken just 1 week to end up spending the entire weekend without gas. Not happy! Such a BIG mistake!

Is there any other way I can contact Boost over the weekend? My electricity is connected, does anyone know why my gas isn't? Has anyone has this issue, and what was the solution? How long should I expect to be without a supply of gas? How soon should I expect a reply from Boost's online contact form?

Thank You.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi @melmyl18 sorry to learn of the problems outlined above.

If you have an online account, you're on PAYG+. This has one balance for both meters. It sounds like you need to press A, A, B on the gas meter to reconnect. It's a safety feature.

Usually you will have a non disconnect period over the weekend, but if the meter disconnected before, this will be why you were off supply.

If you check out the details and phone number for boost out of hours help- they should get you back on supply. https://www.boostpower.co.uk/terms/what-to-do-in-an-emergency

Hope this helps
My activation code does not work and I’m not getting the email for a new one?
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @CarlaG2019,

I've moved your question over here as you can find out further information here.

If you're still having troubles though, please call us on 0330 102 7517 so that we can help you get back on.

Thanks,
Ed
Hi, not sure if anyone can help me. I've been disconnected (this is a new system for me, just moved home), have topped up this morning and noted that to activate the meter I need to type in AAB. It's not working though and I still have no power. I'm an older person with health issues, not looking forward to another night with no hear or light or hot water. If anyone out there knows what to do I'd be grateful for a heads up.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hi @stevemazillius - I've moved your post over here. The information above should help. If your issue still isn't resolved, please give us a ring (0330 102 7517), drop us an email (hello@boostpower.co.uk) or send us a message on Facebook (m.me/boostpower) with your account number, full name and DoB.
Hello , I have taken over a gas and electric account this morning. Call centre gave me 2 long numbers to allow me to top up at pay point until my cards arrive, Topped up at local shop , credit is now showing on both smart meters but still no gas or electric flowing . Tried pressing AAB but just says REJECTED .
Call centre closed until Monday.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hey @marvoboy ,

I trust this has now been sorted, and your supply has been restored. I've moved your question here for future reference should you need support.
Hi Emily , thank you for replying .

Yes now on line with both Gas and electricity . Had to phone the call centre again on Monday they gave me a lengthy access code over the phone for both smart meters which kicked then in to life.

All good now.

Regards

Marvoboy...
Userlevel 4
Badge
I'm glad this was sorted, @marvoboy!

Top up meter but no gas only electric need my gas on on smart meters only change over a week ago and been topping up every outher day 

Ran out of credit, topped up with app, gas allowed me to recconect and yet over a day later the electric is not on and when I try the aab thing meter it says rejected and in the box that supply is off rather than ready/on as it should

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Top up meter but no gas only electric need my gas on on smart meters only change over a week ago and been topping up every outher day 

If you’re PAYG+ and your meters go off supply, the gas meter will need to be reconnected manually: press A, A, B on the keypad once the balance is in the green. 

More info above @Johnhold @Boostseemsawful