Question

How can my son who has a learning disability and aggrophobia, and lives far from meters without a mobile phone, view his balance and top up on Smart PAYG?

• 25 April 2021
  • 8 replies

After numerous emails and 40 minute wait on the phone, without being connected, I am coming to my wits end. after many meltdowns from my son. I am still waiting for answers, as he grows more and more anxious. Come on Boost we expect more  from you. it all started off so well, so WHY change and make things even harder for your disabled customers. 

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Alisoncarermum and thanks for posting this. 

If your son is on Smart PAYG, he’ll be able to use an internet browser to log in to Smart PAYG, view their balance, and top up their meters. A link to this is here. It can be used on a PC, tablet etc. 

Are you able to help by checking to see if your son is on our ‘Priority Services Register’? A link to sign up to this is here. A guide on the PSR is here

Hope this helps!

@Tim_Boost – I too do not have a device which allows apps to be downloaded and so I also have to use the web site you linked to.

Sadly this is not yet showing me any balances, either of the energy usage or of what I have paid.

Is there something else I have to do to see these? Please post some bookmarkable links to the actual pages of the site which show these balances, I am not very good at web site navigation.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @pendlewitch and thanks for reaching out. 

You may be effect the issue outlined here:

“Some Smart PAYG balances haven’t updated on the "Boost Top-Up" app/browser since the 20th of May. This has been raised to our experts and should be sorted very soon. Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

For now can you please either view your balance on your IHD or go directly to your meters.”

Info here on how to view your balance on the IHD:

Hope this helps!

The IHD is not showing any electricity balances. The only thing I see on there is the daily gas usage, which is trivial (none today). Electricity does not feature on it at all. Here’s a picture of it:

I have now paid a third amount to the electricity, and this too is not showing on the Boost web site, over two weeks later.
If it is the meter which is causing this then you must send an engineer out to rectify this.

I have also just gone out and looked at the meter, it’s blank, how do I get it to display anything? There is a blue button and an orange button on the front which don’t seen to do anything.

Userlevel 2

Sounds like you have an Aclara S2 meter, @pendlewitch. In which case you’re not able to check the balance on the meter itself. So it’s really important we get the IHD properly connected to the meters so it can show you both your gas and electricity usage. 

If you haven't already seen it the advice on this thread would also apply in your case -

To help the Support team work out why the IHD isn’t connecting, we need you to do some checks, which you might need to provide to the team via email, depending on what you diagnose: hello@boostpower.co.uk

Is there a WAN and HAN connection?

Check the electricity meter and confirm what the LED light labelled 'WAN' and ‘HAN’ is doing.

If you have a Secure Liberty smart meter, and the WAN light is flashing, the meter has WAN. Please check how many times the light flashes between pauses. One flash between pauses means very low signal, five means great signal. If the light is solid, there's no WAN. The HAN light will be solid when the HAN is open - this will activated during install (when pairing the electricity meter to the gas meter and any devices) as well as when pairing an IHD or smart relay via SFE. Once this process has completed, the HAN light will turn off. So you’ll need to check the IHD directly to see if it’s connected to the HAN.

If you have a Aclara S2 smart meter, if there’s WAN and HAN coverage the WAN & HAN lights on top will flash every 5 seconds. If they are searching for signal then they will flash every 3 seconds and if there is a connectivity issue then they will flash every 1 second or not flash at all.

Here are a list of questions you may be asked, if your meter has no or poor WAN:

1. How strong is the mobile phone signal next to your meter?

2. Is there anything metallic in the way of the meter which could be moved?

3. If the meter has something metallic blocking the signal - for instance a mirror or an ironing board - then moving this may solve the problem.

4. Is your electricity meter in a metal box (e.g a metal meter cupboard)? 

5. Is your electricity meter in a basement, or is it partially enclosed (e.g in a closed cupboard under the stairs)?

If the IHD is showing missing data for one or both fuels and the meter comms are fine, you should perform the following checks.

1 - Check the distance to the electricity meter, has the IHD been moved? 

Try to keep the IHD within a max of 6 metres from the electricity meter. The signal will decline significantly with walls.

2 -  Has the IHD shown data previously or has anything changed e.g. obstructions?

If the IHD was previously showing data, check if anything has changed in the home that could have caused the loss of communication.

3 - Is the IHD showing the correct time?

If it's not showing the correct time, the IHD is not paired.

4a - IHD2 and IHD3: Check WiFi symbol - is it flashing/solid?

• No WiFi symbol & incorrect time > Needs to be paired by our Support team: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)

• WiFi symbol flashing > Our Support team may be able to sort by unpairing and pairing the device: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)

• WiFi symbol solid > No issue with WiFi pairing

4b - IHD6: Check the signal bars

Signal bars solid > IHD is paired.

Signal bars flashing > Needs to be paired by our Support team: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)

5 - Try turning off for several minutes before turning back on.

Hope this helps!

Jess thank you for that very comprehensive reply.

Items 1 to 5 are not the problem, if you look at the picture, the symbols on the top line of the display show that it is working and connected, but only to the gas meter. I turn it off and on every day.

Here’s a picture of the electric meter. Four of the five lights flash every 5 seconds, the middle one does not flash.

Is the black rectangle supposed to be some sort of display? If so, why is it blank? Does the meter have a reset button on the actual meter, not remotely? 

Userlevel 2

Here’s a picture of the electric meter. Four of the five lights flash every 5 seconds, the middle one does not flash.

Is the black rectangle supposed to be some sort of display? If so, why is it blank? Does the meter have a reset button on the actual meter, not remotely? 

That’s a really good sign, @pendlewitch  - the lights are flashing as they should which means we’re communicating with the meter.

The meter screen will be ‘asleep’ until you press either the blue or orange button there so again this isn’t something to worry about. The buttons will show you some information on the screen (such as your meter readings and prices) they don’t show the balance however so we need to get the IHD properly connected so you can check the balance on there.

As you’ve carried out these checks the next step would be to give the Support team a call on 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile). They’ll be able to send out a message from the meter to the IHD to get it reconnected.

Let us know how this goes, will be helpful to hear the process for others in a similar position.