Solved

Why isn't the new Smart PAYG app accepting any kind of top ups?

• 7 November 2020
  • 43 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello Boost forum.

I have just switched to the new smart payg app as having the new metre.

Ok the app will not accept any payment be it credit card or pay point so slightly fed up as running low on electricity and sufferring with ill health problems I can do without this BS.

Before you ask yes deleted the app again, using the latest version.

I can’t go back to the old app which worked great with no issues.

Need help asap with regards to this matter please.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Tim_Boost 24 May 2021, 11:36

View original

43 replies

I have sent an email and they send it back

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m sorry to hear of your experience, @Allison321600, I trust you’ve managed to get this sorted now.

Moving forward these are all the channels of communication to get issues like these resolved:

• Our Care team are here Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm and Saturday’s & Sunday’s 9am to 5pm. You can reach them on 0330 102 7517
  • You can also message our team on Facebook & Twitter. 
  • Drop them an email at hello@boostpower.co.uk, however if the email your emailing from isn’t registered to your account, this could bounce back. 

We have a really helpful PAYG Smart topic here you may be able to find help and advice with the issues you’ve experienced. 

Userlevel 1

I am getting very annoyed now for 2days I have been trying to top up via this new app and my card keeps getting declined ! I'm almost out of emergency credit thanks to this!

I tried to call and you get the 1,2,3 options then it repeats the start of the conversation you don't actually get through to anyone! 

Great service in an emergency ain't you when your the one who have changed everything! So now what do I do ? I have a toddler and a kid with autism how am i getting electric and gas when this emergency runs out because i CANNOT top up or speak to a human on the phone! 😡😡

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Caz88 - thanks for posting this, I think you’re effected by this issue. I’ve update the ‘best answer of this topic, to make this super clear.  The bit that might be relevant to you is:

As of the 28th April 2021, we are aware of some customers seeing an error message ‘Error loading page’ on the payment authorization section. If you’re effected by this issue, please call us so we can ensure you can top up and log this as a technical case with the app team: 0330 102 7517.

I’ve just topped my meter up and it keeps saying rejected. I’ve got no gas or electric and no one is answering the phones 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Mikewasere and thanks for posting. 

You may have been effected by this issue:

As of the 28th April 2021, we are aware of some customers seeing an error message ‘Error loading page’ on the payment authorization section. If you’re effected by this issue, please call us so we can ensure you can top up and log this as a technical case with the app team: 0330 102 7517.

What’s the latest with this?

Userlevel 1

Well after downloading the new app, firstly it wouldn’t recognise my previous registered email address from my first account. Or give me a link to create a new password. By this time my balance had gone into emergency credit. Tried phoning the Boost helpline with my mobile, wouldn’t let me select options 1, 2 or 3. Emailed 2 days ago, no reply. Phoned again this morning on my landline and a operator put me through to another number, well hey no at least I got to talk to a human, but nobody picked up. Phoned again on the landline managed to select option 1 and got to speak to a polite lady who got me to top up online by this time I was on the verge of tears for trying, I got emailed my paypont numbers. My gas got topped up ok but £20 later on the electricity and nothing has shown. Tried putting it into my old ovo display, rejected, the. Put the payment code into my electric smart meter and it was rejected again. My emergency credit is showing two different balances now, £1.97 on my meter and £3.11 on my IHD. 
I am totally disgusted with this service. It’s the worst experience I have ever had. I will be looking for a new supplier as from tomorrow. No doubt I’ll be hanging on the line again tomorrow figuring out how I’m gonna manage if my electric cuts off!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for sharing this negative experience, @soozy71 - it sounds like something anyone would want to forget. Really sorry to hear.

Very odd that the electricity top up didn’t reach your meter, even when you inputted the code into the meter. This tells me the ‘PAN’ number might not be correctly linked to your meter. If this top up hasn’t transferred yet, I think it’s worth getting this double checked. Please give us a call when you can so we can get this all sorted for you: 0330 102 7517.   

Switched over to the new app this morning. 
added my bank card but payments won’t go through, and now gone on to emergency credit and worried it’s going to run out, was never sent cards to be able to do it at the shop. I have been trying to call boost but long waits and I have messaged people on here and sent emails. 
has anyone had this issue and been able to sort it out please? 
I have tried deleting the app a few times and reinstalling but no luck. Thanks 

Well after downloading the new app, firstly it wouldn’t recognise my previous registered email address from my first account. Or give me a link to create a new password. By this time my balance had gone into emergency credit. Tried phoning the Boost helpline with my mobile, wouldn’t let me select options 1, 2 or 3. Emailed 2 days ago, no reply. Phoned again this morning on my landline and a operator put me through to another number, well hey no at least I got to talk to a human, but nobody picked up. Phoned again on the landline managed to select option 1 and got to speak to a polite lady who got me to top up online by this time I was on the verge of tears for trying, I got emailed my paypont numbers. My gas got topped up ok but £20 later on the electricity and nothing has shown. Tried putting it into my old ovo display, rejected, the. Put the payment code into my electric smart meter and it was rejected again. My emergency credit is showing two different balances now, £1.97 on my meter and £3.11 on my IHD. 
I am totally disgusted with this service. It’s the worst experience I have ever had. I will be looking for a new supplier as from tomorrow. No doubt I’ll be hanging on the line again tomorrow figuring out how I’m gonna manage if my electric cuts off!

Getting the same thing! My IHD and meters showing 2 different balances and I am on emergency credit as we speak.

If this new app is progress then god help us all! Currently looking for a new supplier

The current app is useless, so frustrating that you just cannot top up easily, these guys need to realise that us ‘pay as you go’ customers are paying in advance, not requiring credit and we need a tool that works. If this continues, they will just drive us away to other service providers, crazy thing is, they had an app that worked fine, changed it, and since then it’s just become a hassle.

Get your ‘S*@#’ together Boost!

Just to let you all know, when you have tried to top up and it says unsuccessful,  the money has actually been taken with out authorisation.  £160 out of my bank, all cos the app doesn't work. Absolutely terrible service. Leaving them ASAP. 

Well, all changed to the 'NEW' app on Monday, I've spent over 8 hours on the phone, for the same woman telling me that I'm wrong. I re-registered I signed in I put pay now, all didn't work, but the woman saying its my fault. Anyways put all the details in, put a £10 on it, came up, your payment has not been took, you will NOT BE CHARGED FOR THIS TRANSACTION.  Well looked at my bank yesterday, and they took £160 out of my bank (that said I haven't been charged this time) so it all came out in fivers and tenners. They haven't contacted me or got back to me on email. 

BOOST . THE SERVICE IS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.  I WILL BE LEAVING ASAP. the bank refunded me, good job because I don't think boost would have any intention of doing it.. 

Switched over to the new app this morning. 
added my bank card but payments won’t go through, and now gone on to emergency credit and worried it’s going to run out, was never sent cards to be able to do it at the shop. I have been trying to call boost but long waits and I have messaged people on here and sent emails. 
has anyone had this issue and been able to sort it out please? 
I have tried deleting the app a few times and reinstalling but no luck. Thanks 

Check your bank as they yokk £160 out of mine without consent and no credit. Leaving them. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for flagging this, @Akev @Gadget @Holmsey @Kezzah87 - some different things mixed in here, but we’re here to unpack this and see if we can help. 

The balance between the In Home Display / meter and the app will be slightly different, with the former being real-time, and the app being based on a midnight snapshot. I go into more detail on this here.

Also please be advised that with this app balance, we have the following things to consider:

• You need to have the latest version of the ‘Boost Top Up’ app and have made a top up using this latest app version, to have this balance feature available from that midnight onwards.
  • For some customers, the balance feature won’t show on the ‘Boost Top Up’ app till up to 3 days after the latest version of the app has been installed.
  • Some customers with ‘S2’ smart meters may see a longer delay till their balance shows. This is being worked on. 

For anyone having issues with topping up on the app, please know this should be easy, a top up with the Smart PAYG app should be a click away. But we are seeing issues with some accounts:

Any top ups that have failed to get onto the app, but have left the bank account, will be automatically returned to the bank balance. @Kezzah87 that must’ve been a nasty surprise to see that much had been taken, but good to hear it was returned. 

I’m keen to hear from you if you’re still having issues topping up via the app or if it’s now working. Getting the latest like this will really help others who might also be effected...

?

I am unable to top up using my cards or the app. Is anyone able to help?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Catollie and thanks for posting here. Are you able to give any more info on what happens when you try and top up via the app and PayPoint?

The info below is taken from this FAQ, and might be helpful:

Paying for my energy on PAYG Smart

How do I top up on PAYG Smart?

You can do it with your new Boost Top-up app once you’ve downloaded it, just like you topped up with the old one. You can also make payments online, or at any PayPoint shop with your Boost top-up card or by using the barcode in the app.

On PAYG Smart, you’ll need to start topping up your electricity and gas separately – you can choose how much credit you’d like to add to each.

Why haven’t you sent me a new top-up card?

The best thing about the Boost app is that you can manage and top up your energy from anywhere. You can also make payments at the shop using the in-app barcode. This is why we haven’t sent you a new top-up card – you can do it all in the app! If you’d prefer to have top-up cards, just give us a call and we’ll send them your way.

How do I add a new top-up card to my new app?

You only need to do this if you’re signing up for a new account.

If we only supply you with electricity:

• Tap Manage Accounts
  • Click on Add Smart TopUp card
  • Select Electricity
  • Press Next
  • Enter your top-up barcode number into the box
  • Then press Save

If we only supply you with gas:

• Tap Manage Accounts
  • Select Gas
  • Press Next
  • Then press Save

If we supply you with gas and electricity:

• Tap Manage Accounts
  • Select Electricity
  • Press Next
  • Press Save
  • Then select Add Smart TopUp card again
  • Follow the same steps as for electricity to add your gas
  • Press Save

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS1 meter

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

A SMETS1 meter has a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it’ll just have the 2 red and blue buttons, but no keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my meter or IHD?

It’s normal for smart meters to lose signal from time to time, just like mobile phones. This means it might take longer than usual for your top-up to show up as energy credit. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to see your top-ups on your meter, but you can always add them manually too. Read on for more info. 

How do I top up my SMETS1 meters manually?

After making a payment, it takes up to 30 minutes (for electricity) and 60 minutes (for gas) for the money to show on your meter. If it doesn’t, you can give it a little push.

For this, you’ll need the 20-digit code on your PayPoint receipt. This is why it’s always best to keep your receipts safe.

• Press on your gas or electricity meter

• Enter the code from your receipt

• Tap B to confirm and it’s all done!

If you top up online or via your app, PayPoint will either email them to you or send them via text.

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on, so make sure all gas appliances are off before trying to reconnect. If the meter has disconnected, you can reconnect it by pressing AAB (SMETS1) or holding and B at the same time (SMETS2).

Why did my SMETS1 meter cut out without using emergency credit first? 

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD

When your balance drops below £5, your IHD will flash and tell you that you can activate the emergency credit. If you don’t, it’ll then flash again when your balance is below 50p:

• Navigate to the main menu

• Click on Account

• Press the  emergency credit button

(You’ll find more detailed information on what to do in your IHD booklet.)

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter:

• Press the 7 on the keypad

• You’ll see a message saying EC OFFER – tap A to accept the emergency credit or B to ignore

• Then tap B to confirm

• By pressing 7 you’ll see whether the credit has been activated – it’ll tell you EC SELECTED

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS2 meter

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

You can tell if you’ve got a SMETS1 meter, as it will have a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it will just have the 2 red and blue buttons, keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my SMETS2 meter or IHD?

Smart meters can stop communicating with us for a number of reasons. If your top-up hasn't appeared on your meter, follow the instructions below to add your credit manually.. 

How do I top up my SMETS2 meters manually?

There are 2 ways:

1. Using your IHD – this is the easiest and fastest way:

• Tap the menu icon at the bottom right of the screen

• Press Top-Up

• Choose the fuel you want to top up

• Press OK

• Enter your PayPoint code

• Tap OK

• The IHD will then confirm that your money has been added to your meter

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A on your meter until you see Enter Top Up Code

• Press and hold A to begin typing 

• Enter your code using the A and B buttons to navigate through the digits

• Press and hold B when complete

• The meter will show you one of these messages: Top Up accepted or Invalid

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press C on your gas meter to enter the menu

• Using and B, scroll to Prepayment and press C

• Tap A and B until you see New Payment

• Press to select it

• Use A and B to enter your code

• Tap C again

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on. If the meter has disconnected, you should be asked to press any button following a top-up to trigger a reconnection.

Why did my SMETS2 meter cut out straight away without warning? Where is my emergency credit?

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD:

If your balance drops below £5, the IHD will tell you that your emergency credit is available:

• Press the menu button

• Tap E-Credit

• Select the fuel you want emergency credit for (gas or electricity)

• Press OK

• The IHD will confirm your request

• You’ll see Emergency credit in use next to the fuel you’ve added it to

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter

For electricity:

If your balance goes below £0, your meter will say EMC available:

• Press A to cancel or B to activate it

• You should now see 2 emergency credit balances. The first is how much emergency credit you have left and the second shows how much has already been accepted

• If you select the emergency credit, you’ll see an EC sign on the display at the bottom-right corner

For gas:

• Press any button on your gas meter to wake up the screen

• If you have any emergency credit available, you’ll see an EC logo on the screen, next to the signal bar icon

• Press C to enter the menu and B to scroll to Prepayment

• Tap C to enter

• Press B to scroll down to the Emerg. Credit option, then C to enter

• If the status says Available, press C to accept the £5 emergency credit (you should hear a beep sound and the status should change to In-Use)

• You can check your emergency credit balance by going through the same menu options until you see Limit and Remaining