Solved

Why isn't the new Smart PAYG app accepting any kind of top ups?

• 7 November 2020
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello Boost forum.

I have just switched to the new smart payg app as having the new metre.

Ok the app will not accept any payment be it credit card or pay point so slightly fed up as running low on electricity and sufferring with ill health problems I can do without this BS.

Before you ask yes deleted the app again, using the latest version.

I can’t go back to the old app which worked great with no issues.

Need help asap with regards to this matter please.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Tim_Boost 9 November 2020, 18:37

Hi @cynet2007 and thanks for sharing what must’ve been a frustrating experience. 

Your top ups onto the new Smart PAYG app not working will either be because your account hasn’t been changed over yet (which we confirm to you via email), or because of the issue outlined in this topic:

I can confirm that there was an issue with 873 accounts that were being changed over from PAYG+ to Smart PAYG, which occurred on Friday 6th. The latest on this is as follows:

• We've now resolved 793 out of 873 of the failed transfers, these customers should be able to top up normally and would have received an email to confirm this. 
  • 50 failed altogether, these customers should continue to top up on PAYG+ until we email them to advise. 
  • 30 have partially succeeded (where gas or electricity has failed to change to Smart PAYG, and the other one has been successful). These exceptions are being fixed now and will be confirmed with an email. 

Can you let us know the latest when you get a chance?

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 1

I downloaded the new app and as per the instructions from the one and only email I’ve had about this I clicked forgot password but no verification email comes through. I can’t get on the app and I can’t get onto my account on the website. I haven’t been sent new cards. I’ve been on the phone over the past few days and either been on hold or been ‘getting passed to the right department’ that never seems to pick up. I went to call this morning as it says they’re open 9-1 on a Saturday only to have an automated service say they’re not open. 
I don’t think the credit will last until Monday as I’m obviously watching the numbers decrease on my in home display and I daren’t put my heating on. 
Does anyone know how I can get sorted with this? Sorry for the long post but I don’t know what to do and I’m starting to panic. 
thanks for any help anyone can give 

I'm in the same situation.. your energy wont be cut off at weekends.. I'm currently awaiting a phone call back from them.. this is ridiculous and they're customer services department is shocking 

Userlevel 1

I'm in the same situation.. your energy wont be cut off at weekends.. I'm currently awaiting a phone call back from them.. this is ridiculous and they're customer services department is shocking 

Are they calling you back at the weekend or are you expecting it on Monday? 
I totally agree, the service has been appalling. I’m looking to switch to a new provider as I’m not happy with that or the new system. 
Thank you for setting my mind at rest about the energy not going off. Do you know if I go into emergency credit I will have to pay it back? I’ve never had to use it before. Really hope you get sorted quickly too 

Yeah I would assume they would want it back.. but I'll be telling them I'm not paying it back.. I wouldnt have to use it if i could have topped up as usual.. I'll be looking to switch providers too.. i think it's the beginning of the end for boost.. unless the decide to switch back to the old system.. I'm not holding my breath for them calling me back today.. i did request a call back but i think I'll be in the phone on hold from 8 am Monday when they open.. yes it says on the website if you run out of credit between 4PM friday and 10 am Monday that you wont be cut off..

Userlevel 1

Yeah I would assume they would want it back.. but I'll be telling them I'm not paying it back.. I wouldnt have to use it if i could have topped up as usual.. I'll be looking to switch providers too.. i think it's the beginning of the end for boost.. unless the decide to switch back to the old system.. I'm not holding my breath for them calling me back today.. i did request a call back but i think I'll be in the phone on hold from 8 am Monday when they open.. yes it says on the website if you run out of credit between 4PM friday and 10 am Monday that you wont be cut off..

I’m exactly the same. I would never have to go into emergency credit if they had answered the phone and sorted out the issue. I won’t be paying anything back and already on uswitch looking for alternatives. The customer service has been shocking. Thanks for the info, at least I don’t have to worry about losing power. 

Userlevel 1

Well been waiting on the phone for over an hour so far to just to find out why their new app is not allowing payments of any types!

Gives a false phone number when trying to purchase electricity when the payment is declined.

Honestly what a massive balls upon their part releasing an app not fit for purpose.

Userlevel 1

Well been waiting on the phone for over an hour so far to just to find out why their new app is not allowing payments of any types!

Gives a false phone number when trying to purchase electricity when the payment is declined.

Honestly what a massive balls upon their part releasing an app not fit for purpose.

Have you managed to get through today? I wasn’t able to at all as it just said the office is closed. 
so I guess everyone is going to be in the same situation if no one can top up. It’s an awful situation to be in and can’t believe they’ve done this. It seems to be a huge step back on their service as I found the original app very user friendly. I don’t understand why they’ve changed? 

I've had the same trouble,I spent 3 hours in all on the phone yesterday to be told in 20 seconds it's not a emergency and I wont be cut off and phone back in the morning which has been closed.

Userlevel 1

I've had the same trouble,I spent 3 hours in all on the phone yesterday to be told in 20 seconds it's not a emergency and I wont be cut off and phone back in the morning which has been closed.

It’s such bad customer service. I’ve just been on the Facebook page and seen 100s of comments from people in the same situation. Boost have really let everyone down and I think they’re going to lose a lot of customers.

hope you get sorted 

Userlevel 1

Thank you Tanya :)

I managed to speak to a customer service advisor who told me the app is not working and has many issues with it right now.

I payed them over the phone to top up which was ok but the waiting times are horrendous.

They are sending me out a new boost card and emailed me a bar code to use in the shops to top up.

A nightmare for Boost and us as customers but will not jump ship just yet. I want to see if they can get the system running as it should be as it will be a good concept if they can.

I hope Tanya you can get some answers and fixes to your troubles, best of luck.

Kindest Regards

David

Userlevel 1

Thank you Tanya :)

I managed to speak to a customer service advisor who told me the app is not working and has many issues with it right now.

I payed them over the phone to top up which was ok but the waiting times are horrendous.

They are sending me out a new boost card and emailed me a bar code to use in the shops to top up.

A nightmare for Boost and us as customers but will not jump ship just yet. I want to see if they can get the system running as it should be as it will be a good concept if they can.

I hope Tanya you can get some answers and fixes to your troubles, best of luck.

Kindest Regards

David

Thank you david

Tbh I’ve gone from being a tenant to a home owner and I’m hoping to be able to move to direct debits rather than payg. The standing charge on payg is just so high compared to monthly payments. Although I don’t think this is just Boost. I don’t think boost offer that. I don’t really think what they’re doing is going to enhance the service though. I much preferred having it on my phone with the app that was there. But I guess that’s personal preference. 
I don’t know why everytime I rang I just had an automated person saying they weren’t open. Pleased that you’ve managed to get sorted though and hope I can top up soon! 

Userlevel 2

I downloaded the new app and as per the instructions from the one and only email I’ve had about this I clicked forgot password but no verification email comes through. I can’t get on the app and I can’t get onto my account on the website. I haven’t been sent new cards. I’ve been on the phone over the past few days and either been on hold or been ‘getting passed to the right department’ that never seems to pick up. I went to call this morning as it says they’re open 9-1 on a Saturday only to have an automated service say they’re not open. 
I don’t think the credit will last until Monday as I’m obviously watching the numbers decrease on my in home display and I daren’t put my heating on. 
Does anyone know how I can get sorted with this? Sorry for the long post but I don’t know what to do and I’m starting to panic. 
thanks for any help anyone can give 

I had the same problem today..Sunday..when they are closed BUT I sent an e.mail saying can’t top up explaining I didn’t have a new card. Credit was not going to last until tomorrow and the email I sent explaining that said they wouldn’t be able to respond for 5-7 days. 
HOWEVER they sent me the new top up card no a few minutes later (Luckily I checked my emails a few hrs later)
What you then have to do is use this to log in, NOT register which is what the instructions say.
Good luck xx

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @cynet2007 and thanks for sharing what must’ve been a frustrating experience. 

Your top ups onto the new Smart PAYG app not working will either be because your account hasn’t been changed over yet (which we confirm to you via email), or because of the issue outlined in this topic:

I can confirm that there was an issue with 873 accounts that were being changed over from PAYG+ to Smart PAYG, which occurred on Friday 6th. The latest on this is as follows:

• We've now resolved 793 out of 873 of the failed transfers, these customers should be able to top up normally and would have received an email to confirm this. 
  • 50 failed altogether, these customers should continue to top up on PAYG+ until we email them to advise. 
  • 30 have partially succeeded (where gas or electricity has failed to change to Smart PAYG, and the other one has been successful). These exceptions are being fixed now and will be confirmed with an email. 

Userlevel 1

Hi @cynet2007 and thanks for sharing what must’ve been a frustrating experience. 

Tim can you return any money I am owed where the app took over 7 payments in a space of 20 mins totalling £140. I would call but the waiting times have been over 5 hours long a record for any customer service I have ever known to date.

Userlevel 1

I've been switched to the new app got the email confirmation but only able to top up the gass it keeps saying error when I try to top up electric even tho it's showing as a pending transaction in the bank account how do I know if it has gone on the meter or not 

Userlevel 1

I've been switched to the new app got the email confirmation but only able to top up the gass it keeps saying error when I try to top up electric even tho it's showing as a pending transaction in the bank account how do I know if it has gone on the meter or not 

It took 7 transactions of me and they have not gone through since Saturday. I asked my bank to stop them pending as it took £120 more than it should have done. Im hoping boost will cancel those transactions in due course.

Userlevel 1

I am still waiting for a response from Boost regarding the smart meter concerns that everyone seems to be having. I cannot afford to be without power but that is exactly what has happened to several tennants that I have dealt with. I tried to get through to the number on the Boost website and was diverted to OVO who cannot help me. I have a £200 credit on my meter at present and can't just replace that while Boost sir around thinking what to do about this widespread issue. What exactly can Boost do to confirm that this will not continue to happen?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

It’s tricky to know what has happened in your case, @cynet2007 @Denise March 1 @Claireamac as I can’t access your account. 

You might be effected by what I outlined above, it may be something else. Can you let us know the latest? 

I’m sorry to hear about those multiple top ups, such a pain! Contacted your bank for an indemnity claim might be an option but without knowing more info I can’t offer much advice..

Userlevel 1

@Tim_Boost still no balance showing on in home display I was transferred to the new app beginning of the week I've been trying to contact your team through Facebook email and phone with no response 

Hello there can anyone help me please about a week ago got the email.about the new app before I did It check my balance on the old app and on the meter it siad I have £10 cool. SO I did want it said to do so the same day I topped up I get the email thanking for topping up did not o think to check my balance!! so this morning I woke up too no electricity 😡😡😡😡  so i check to see want was going on went on the app my balance and I kicked me out off it so I did it again 5time later deleted the app and reinstalled it but just keeps kicking out  so I when to the meter out side it was turned off so turned it back on and check my balance on the meter it display £5.!! So my last top up didn’t go n the my meter 😡😡😡😡😡 I have called with on answer i have try emailing / Facebook / Twitter stil on answer I got £0.90 left In my meter and £5 emergency electricity but do not like too using P.S I don’t like this new app 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Your lucky they have done me out of £120 😡🤬

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Sorry to hear this, @Tracythreeboys @Sunrise1970x 

If you’re on the new Smart PAYG, you should have a top up card for each meter, and an app to top up. You should also have an IHD to view your balance. 

if you don’t and you’re low on credit, this is something that warrants a call: 0330 102 7517

In the meantime, you can view your meter balance by pressing 7 on the smart meter keypad. It will show you emergency credit info and then the current balance will be on the next screen.

Smart PAYG: activating your emergency credit on your smart meter screen

You can also use your smart meter screen to activate your emergency credit.

Smart meter keypad OVO Energy

Start by pressing 7 on your keypad.

Emergency Credit offer OVO Energy smart meter

Accept smart meter OVO Energy

To accept the emergency credit offer, press A on the keypad.

Ignore smart meter OVO Energy

If you’ve changed your mind and don’t want to activate your emergency credit, just press B.

Smart meter screen: if you’ve used up your emergency credit

Once you’ve activated your emergency credit, you can check up on it by pressing 7 on your smart meter keypad.

If you’ve still got some credit left, the screen will first display ‘E-CREDIT’ and then ‘IN USE’.

E-Credit emergency credit smart meter OVO Energy

OVO Energy In Use Smart meter screen

If you’ve used up all your emergency credit, the screen will first display ‘E-CREDIT’ and then ‘USED UP’.

E-Credit emergency credit smart meter OVO Energy

used up smart meter credit OVO Energy

If you want to know how much you need to repay (including the emergency credit you’ve used) to reconnect your supply, press 7 again.

repay emergency credit OVO Energy

£11.78 OVO Energy smart meter credit