Question

Why isn't my Smart PAYG app top up showing on my balance since 20th May?

• 24 May 2021
  • 9 replies

Can someone please transfer my top up to my metre. I've been on the phone since 11am and no one is answering. 

9 replies

I topped up after my electricty disconnected & it won't reconnect. This was 2hrs ago! Ive tried pressing a&b lots of times but still no electric.  

I have the same problem. Electric ran out at 11am.ive been on hold waiting for someone to answer. Disgusting this is. 

Electric meter how do I see my balance - just gone over to smart rubbish and had nothing but trouble. Can never get to speak to a human at boost. Can never get through - 6 emails sent all say different and not helpful. 

made a top up with new up didn’t work but took money form account so now it’s sits pending for four days. 

no top up cards sent out. 

Have to top up on both meters when the old app did fuel fuel and so much easier - 

when I press A on meter it goes to credit but no amount shows on display then goes to cost which is what’s used so far in the year. 

totally at a lost now and cannot get any help form boost 

Hi, we were switched over to new app last Tuesday and so far have been unable to top up our electricity meter. It has taken lots of attempts and £150 taken from our account but not on electricity meter. We are down to £6 electricity with no way of topping up. I spoke to them Friday and was told the app was having maintenance and would be fine Sunday so have tried another £20 today with no luck. I have just spoken to someone again and all they can say is the money will go back into our bank. I said that is great but how do I top up??? Then asked why do they switch when the system is not working and she hung up on me, after being on hold for over 40 minutes I am not impressed. She said she can refer to technical team and they will be in touch in 5 days, not much help when only have £6 credit and no IHD as have not received that either. What an absolute shambles. 

@Boost can anyone HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for posting, @Banksy, @Beth1, @DaveDj, @Julieo1000 

I’ve combined your questions as I wanted to make you all aware that some Smart PAYG balances haven’t updated on the "Boost Top-Up" app since the 20th of May. This has been raised to our experts and should be sorted very soon. Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

For now can you please either view your balance on your IHD or go directly to your meters. 

Obviously this isn’t the full answer for some of you, who’s called out that your top up hasn’t reached your meter. I’ve been advised top ups made via the app or PayPoints shouldn’t be effected by this issue, and that credit made should be added to your meter balance. 

Some unrelated instances of pending top ups will be returned to your bank account, more info on this process here:

There’s also the chance that communication issues with your meter mean that balance updates are delayed. I’ve got info here to help you work out communication issues with two types of smart meter, Secure Liberty (S1) and Aclara (S2) meters. If you’re off supply, you’ve topped up and your balance won’t update, please call us: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile).

What is WAN (Wide Area Network) for a Secure Liberty smart meter?

WAN allows an electricity smart meter to send/receive data (such as meter readings) securely through the S1 Communications Hub. It uses a roaming SIM that works on 2.5G to do this - the same kind of data network your mobile phone uses. If you have good 4G signal but no 2.5G in your area, the meter will have no WAN.

This LED light represents if there is a WAN connection. It will also indicate how strong this connection is by flashing between 1 - 5 times before pausing.

• 5 flashes indicates the strongest WAN connection
  • 1 or 2 flashes indicates weak WAN connection
  • Solid light indicates there is no WAN

Is there a WAN connection for an Aclara S2 smart meter?

These are the lights on the comms hub for SMETS2 found on the electricity meter:

Lights on the communications hub

What lights are flashing and how often? - Please note that this is very different to SMETS1

Low - every 5 seconds - everything is fine here
Medium - every 3 seconds - searching for connectivity  
High - every 1 second -  connectivity issue
Off - connectivity issue

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1

So i changed over eventually, after being cut off and 4 attempts at a call in after 4.3 hrs wait time!, 1 engineers reset at 2000hrs that night i am back on, to find i got cut off again 2 days later, ok, topped up, mmmmm nothing, hit emergency credit, that worked. but now i am back to square one, in a few hours i am going to be cut off yet again due to NO CREDIT! oh that's right i have topped up already so why is it not registering 4 days later like your post have suggested. I have strong signal unlike some other users which i feel bad for right now, but this is not solving my problem, no amount of sucking eggs to reinstall anything works. Do i really want to sit on hold for most of the day waiting around? not really i have a life to sort out, but your forcing my hand right now all to speak to the same women again this week! And to top it off, thanks to your debt you left me, i cannot change suppliers!
This is the final time before i start going down the complaint route with Ofgem because i am sick and tired of wasting time making calls because this system is flawed badly, it worked fine before this change over, ever heard the term, DON’T FIX WHAT AIN’T BROKEN?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for flagging this, @FluffyBeard. Commenting on your experience when calling up, we’re aware of a network issue with Vodaphone. Details here:

Some Boost customers on Vodafone’s mobile network are unable to select an option on the IVR when calling in, which meant they weren't connecting to an agent. This is part of a wider networking issue and is being worked on by third parties. 

We’ve put a fix in place that will connect callers to an agent automatically if they don’t select an option. 

Can you let us know of your top ups are making it onto the meter at all? Is the actual meter display screen showing your balance as changing? If not, it’s likely these top ups haven’t been made and the amount returned to your bank balance:

Userlevel 1

Thanks for flagging this, @FluffyBeard. Commenting on your experience when calling up, we’re aware of a network issue with Vodaphone. Details here:

Some Boost customers on Vodafone’s mobile network are unable to select an option on the IVR when calling in, which meant they weren't connecting to an agent. This is part of a wider networking issue and is being worked on by third parties. 

We’ve put a fix in place that will connect callers to an agent automatically if they don’t select an option. 

Can you let us know of your top ups are making it onto the meter at all? Is the actual meter display screen showing your balance as changing? If not, it’s likely these top ups haven’t been made and the amount returned to your bank balance:

I dont use Vodafone, unless your meaning the metre, my top up in app does not show on the metre, its showing emergency credit which is going to run out! My payment has not been returned as of yet if that's what your asking. It shows a debit on my card and a receipt online.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for confirming, @FluffyBeard

Are you aware you can type in that UTRN code on the receipt into the meter manually, if the top up you make on the app doesn’t get onto the meter? 

I’m going to get some tutorial content to show how to do this on other meters, but see below for how to do this with a ‘Secure Liberty’ smart meter. If you have another type of smart meter, please call us for advice: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile).

Using your Secure Liberty meter keypad to add credit manually

You’ll need to use your meter keypad if your home area network (HAN) isn’t working properly.

OVO Energy smart meter keypad

The HAN is the network that connects your meter and the IHD; it works like other wireless systems in your home.

Just press the blue ‘A’ key to start.

The screen will show ‘VEND MODE’.

VEND MODE OVO Energy Smart meter

Type your 20-digit code on the meter keypad. Once you’ve started, the blue ‘A’ key becomes a delete button, so if you go wrong, you can use it to go back and delete one number at a time.

When you’ve entered all 20 digits, press ‘B’. Your meter will then either accept or reject the code. If it accepts it, you’ll see ‘ACCEPTED’, then the amount of the top-up, and ‘ADDED’.

Accepted OVO smart meter screen

50.00 OVO Smart meter screen

Added smart meter screen OVO

If something’s wrong and the meter doesn’t like the number, you’ll see one of these messages:

Rejected OVO smart meter screen

Duplicate OVO smart meter screen

Incorrect OVO smart meter screen

Incomplete OVO smart meter screen

So you’ll need to enter your 20-digit code again.

If you type in the wrong code 5 times, the display screen will show ‘KEY LOCKED’ and you won’t be able to type anything for 20 seconds. Just wait and try again.