Question

Why is my IHD 6 showing a 'friendly gas - top-up soon' message when I have credit on my smart meter?

• 19 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Hello 

please can someone shed some light on my ihd 6 Ive has friendly gas messages scrolling at the bottom of the screen along with top up soon even tho there is £50 on each meter in credit I’ve tried to reset the ihd 6 and speak to boost but getting no where with long hold times on the phone and lack of customer service I’m facing frustration and getting nothing fixed both engineers and boost say meter readings and signals are good so they can’t seem to see a issue and should all be working ok had any one else had this issue before 

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Luke2020 and welcome to the Boost forum,

Sounds like you might be having some issues with the connection of your In-Home Display to your Smart meters which can mean that the balance shown on the device isn’t able to update correctly. There’s some helpful tips on getting things re-connected on this thread:

1 - Check the distance to the electricity meter, has the IHD been moved? 

Try to keep the IHD within a max of 6 metres from the electricity meter. The signal will decline significantly with walls.

2 -  Has the IHD shown data previously or has anything changed e.g. obstructions?

If the IHD was previously showing data, check if anything has changed in the home that could have caused the loss of communication.

3 - Is the IHD showing the correct time?

If it's not showing the correct time, the IHD is not paired.

4a - IHD2 and IHD3: Check WiFi symbol - is it flashing/solid?

• No WiFi symbol & incorrect time > Needs to be paired by our Support team: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)
  • WiFi symbol flashing > Our Support team may be able to sort by unpairing and pairing the device: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)
  • WiFi symbol solid > No issue with WiFi pairing

4b - IHD6: Check the signal bars

Signal bars solid > IHD is paired.
Signal bars flashing > Needs to be paired by our Support team: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)

5 - Try turning off for several minutes before turning back on.

Have you been able to check a snapshot of your balance on the Boost app?

I have tried all the Above points all settings are working and correct as far as I can see signal is good I can see the credit decreasing yet for some reason I have top up soon message and gas friendly credit active message scrolling on the ihd 6 screen 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Well this is a strange one, @Luke2020.

As you’re able to see the balance decreasing I’m wondering whether there might be a bug on your device meaning this ‘friendly credit’ message hasn’t disappeared when it should.

I’d suggest trying a full reboot of the IHD. To do this you’ll need to unplug the device and allow it to run out of battery. When you re-plug it in and switch on, the device should’ve reset which I’m hoping might clear the error message. Give this a try and let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:

Hello

i have switched it off and let it completely die rebooted and still remains on screen I have a lot of credit on the meters due to a bill that’s meant to be billed from the meters as they had put me on a credit mode prior due to other sm2 meters had issues now I have new sm2 gas and electric meter top ups go on fine on both meters just having this bug that won’t go away I’ll upload a photo to give you an idea of that the issue looks like 

still awaiting boost bill to come through lol from July 2021 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Sorry to hear that re-boot didn’t fix the issue, @Luke2020.

In this case it’s best to contact our Support Team directly to report a possible fault to your device. The team may be able to carry out further trouble-shooting or request a replacement device if needed. The quickest way to reach the team is via our Webchat which you can find here.

Hope this helps get things sorted. :slight_smile:

I have done that many times, customer service agents keep telling me there’s nothing wrong with my meters and so do engineers clearly there’s photos to prove otherwise yet no one wants to fix or boost have the most poorest customer service I’d say :(

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’m really sorry to hear that the Support Team haven’t been able to get this sorted for you, @Luke2020

If you’re still unhappy we’d recommend raising this as a formal complaint which would allow us to fully investigate things and escalate the complaint if we’re still not able to get this fixed. See our full complaints procedure here.

Without access to your account here, we’re unfortunately limited in taking any further action to get things sorted, but I’m hoping this is resolved quickly for you.