Solved

Why has my Smart PAYG top up not been added to my meter balance but it's taken the payment from my bank balance?

Hello, my meter was beeping to say i was low on credit.  I have topped up £10 on two occasions and the app says sorry the payment hasn’t been taken even though the payment is going through with barclays straight away.  I only have 35p left does anyone know what has happened?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Tim_Boost 14 May 2021, 16:19

Hi @SimonParker1979 and thanks for posting this,

Top-ups may display as ‘pending payment’ on the app if a payment fails due to an issue, such as our systems not communicating with PayPoint properly, or the PAN not being linked correctly to the a meter.

When this happens no funds are taken - you should be informed that the payment has failed and that we suggest you check your bank account. The top up amount should be available in your bank account within five days, but it’s usually a lot quicker! Payments that fail are also shown as 'vend fail' in the PayPoint online portal

So with that in mind, @SimonParker1979, I’d recommend you get in touch with our Support team, to make sure there’s no issue with your PAN card number and your account: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile).

If you get a new card number, here’s some info for how to update your app with this:

How do I add a new top-up card to my new app?

If we only supply you with electricity:

• Tap Manage Accounts
  • Click on Add Smart TopUp card
  • Select Electricity
  • Press Next
  • Enter your top-up barcode number into the box
  • Then press Save

If we only supply you with gas:

• Tap Manage Accounts
  • Select Gas
  • Press Next
  • Then press Save

If we supply you with gas and electricity:

• Tap Manage Accounts
  • Select Electricity
  • Press Next
  • Press Save
  • Then select Add Smart TopUp card again
  • Follow the same steps as for electricity to add your gas
  • Press Save

When you move from PAYG+ to PAYG Smart, your top-up cards are automatically added to your new app. If you have new cards, just follow the steps above to add them (from Add Smart TopUp card).

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @SimonParker1979 and thanks for posting this,

Top-ups may display as ‘pending payment’ on the app if a payment fails due to an issue, such as our systems not communicating with PayPoint properly, or the PAN not being linked correctly to the a meter.

When this happens no funds are taken - you should be informed that the payment has failed and that we suggest you check your bank account. The top up amount should be available in your bank account within five days, but it’s usually a lot quicker! Payments that fail are also shown as 'vend fail' in the PayPoint online portal

So with that in mind, @SimonParker1979, I’d recommend you get in touch with our Support team, to make sure there’s no issue with your PAN card number and your account: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile).

If you get a new card number, here’s some info for how to update your app with this:

How do I add a new top-up card to my new app?

If we only supply you with electricity:

• Tap Manage Accounts
  • Select Electricity
  • Press Next
  • Then press Save

If we only supply you with gas:

• Tap Manage Accounts
  • Select Gas
  • Press Next
  • Then press Save

If we supply you with gas and electricity:

• Tap Manage Accounts
  • Select Electricity
  • Press Next
  • Press Save
  • Then select Add Smart TopUp card again
  • Follow the same steps as for electricity to add your gas
  • Press Save

When you move from PAYG+ to PAYG Smart, your top-up cards are automatically added to your new app. If you have new cards, just follow the steps above to add them (from Add Smart TopUp card).

Userlevel 1

I topped up my electricity and gas meters on the 9th and 11th of May the money went out of my bank but didn't make it to the meters so I called 3 times managed to get an engineer out who replaced the meters. The electric meter says default on it and hasn't updated since the 8th, the gas meter updated last night so I've just gone to top it up on the app then get a message payment hasn't gone through but don't worry you havnt been charged, yes I have been charged yet again so how do i get my money back and what am I supposed to do when the meters I can't top up go off? You can't just leave people without gas and electric 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Vickyp77 and thanks for posting this. I’ve moved it over to another topic, which outlines the process for these ‘pending payments’. Are you able to check your bank account to see if these have been returned yet? 

The timeframe I’ve been advised is:

When this happens no funds are taken - you should be informed that the payment has failed and that we suggest you check your bank account. The top up amount should be available in your bank account within five days, but it’s usually a lot quicker! Payments that fail are also shown as 'vend fail' in the PayPoint online portal

Userlevel 1

The payments I made on the 9th and 11th have gone through as iff they went on the meters but they didn't so how do i get that money back? I am assuming the payment I made last night will go back in bank as I don't have a receipt for that as iff it had gone through 

Hi, 

This has also happened to me I topped up electric on the 14th..the money as gone out my bank but never gone on my meter balance...tried ringing but the number just keeps going over the options to press and won't go through to anyone... Also got a number off here  From a reply above.. that goes to OVO to Which they are confused I've got that number and just tell me to ring Boost... I'm running outa credit too.

Userlevel 1

Hi,

Well I did manage to get through to somone and I even had new meters put in, but I'm still in the same boat, the people on the phone are useless the people on here are useless I can't afford to keep trying to put money on when I'm not even getting any of it back. Here's the number I called ​0330 102 7517 and I hope you get sorted 

Hi,

Well I did manage to get through to somone and I even had new meters put in, but I'm still in the same boat, the people on the phone are useless the people on here are useless I can't afford to keep trying to put money on when I'm not even getting any of it back. Here's the number I called ​0330 102 7517 and I hope you get sorted 

Yeah I've tried that number but I can't get past the choose an option point. Tried contacting on social media but no luck there. I'm same don't want to try put more on Incase it don't work and I don't get money back. Guess I'll keep trying the number.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for sharing and helping each other, @Vickyp77 @Wilkins204 - it’s what this forum is all about. 

See below for info on failed top ups, it can take up to 5 days for the payment to show back in your bank account balance: 

If you think there’s an issue with your top up card PAN number, or with you going off supply whilst you wait for this failed top up to show in your bank account before retrying the top up, give us a call: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile). Our call queues are much smaller today now that the Monday rush is over...

Hi I topped up £20 and you have taken the payment 3 times please help 

Userlevel 2

Hi @St5v5,

Sorry to hear about the multiple payments you’ve seen when trying to top-up. Sounds like these could be ‘pending payments’ - 

It’s worth checking your bank as any multiple payments should be returned within 5 days.

If you haven’t already give our Support Team a call on 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile) to check that there are no issues with your top-up PAN number before topping up again.

I hope this helps - keep us updated, it’s really helpful for others who might have the same problem in future. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 2

I had it happen to me after being moved over and my gas meter dying, engineer fixed the issue, tried topping up several times (money auto refunded in a couple of days), meter was communicating with ihd, checked the pan number for the gas on my ihd and surprise surprise, completely different numbers. Added the correct number from my ihd to the app, topped up and voila, all working fine. So many people are coming unstuck with this situation it's a complete mess.

I’m also now having the same problem, topping up my gas account yet it’s leaving my bank account but not being added to my gas. Having to call Boost everyday, I’m told I need a new electric meter as it’s faulty which is effecting my gas meter, I need an engineer but fit a new electric meter but they won’t do it until I’m off supply! Iv honestly had enough now. Does anyone know if I can get my meters removed and go back to the original meters??

Userlevel 2

I’m really sorry to hear of the issues you’re having with your smart meters, @SamP - I can totally appreciate the frustration this must be causing.

In terms of the advice you’ve been given - it sounds like the agent you spoke to might have been referring to the emergency engineers appointments (which can only be booked for a same day visit if you’ve already lost supply).

If the issue is a non-communicating smart meter the team should advise you to carry out some checks on the meter. If these checks show a engineers visit is required they’re able to book this as a regular maintenance appointment with at least 17 working days notice.

In the meantime it’s best to continue topping up as usual. Even if your top-ups don’t show on your meter they should still reach your Boost account and they will begin building up a credit to cover the usage charges which will be applied once the meters are fixed. If you haven’t already it’s worth reaching out to the Support Team to request this is investigated further. The easiest way to get in touch is via webchat - find this by clicking the yellow speech bubble on our Homepage.

I’m really hoping this information is helpful in getting the issues resolved. Let us know if you have further queries - we’re always on hand here to help where we can. :slight_smile: