Solved

Why does the new Smart PAYG app not show my balance?

• 4 November 2020
  • 51 replies

Userlevel 4

The whole reason I Joined is for the convenience of managing my account on my phone.

The new app is a backward step in every way. if it does not change and become more user friendly I will leave and find another supplier.

icon

Best answer by Tim_Boost 5 November 2020, 13:36

In response to your balance not showing in the app, you’ll be able to get an In Home Display that shows you this. If you don’t have an IHD already, request one by Facebook and Twitter or phone: 0330 102 7517

In the meantime, you can view your meter balance by pressing 7 on the smart meter keypad. It will show you emergency credit info and then the current balance will be on the next screen.

Smart PAYG: activating your emergency credit on your smart meter screen

You can also use your smart meter screen to activate your emergency credit.

Smart meter keypad OVO Energy

Start by pressing 7 on your keypad.

Emergency Credit offer OVO Energy smart meter

Accept smart meter OVO Energy

To accept the emergency credit offer, press A on the keypad.

Ignore smart meter OVO Energy

If you’ve changed your mind and don’t want to activate your emergency credit, just press B.

Smart meter screen: if you’ve used up your emergency credit

Once you’ve activated your emergency credit, you can check up on it by pressing 7 on your smart meter keypad.

If you’ve still got some credit left, the screen will first display ‘E-CREDIT’ and then ‘IN USE’.

E-Credit emergency credit smart meter OVO Energy

OVO Energy In Use Smart meter screen

If you’ve used up all your emergency credit, the screen will first display ‘E-CREDIT’ and then ‘USED UP’.

used up smart meter credit OVO Energy

If you want to know how much you need to repay (including the emergency credit you’ve used) to reconnect your supply, press 7 again.

repay emergency credit OVO Energy

£11.78 OVO Energy smart meter credit

View original

51 replies

Userlevel 1

I feel exactly the same way, I dont know what the heck is going its awful. I've left a question on here not long ago.

Userlevel 4

i’ve no idea why they changed it.

Probably because they will charge you more for that service down the line??

The old app and service was great, this is total rubbish.

Userlevel 1

It certainly is rubbish the manager has been online to post about FAQS etc but ignored my question here in the forum and my private message. I cant access a balance anywhere my meter is blank with a red flashing light there is no where to see your balance on the app either when your supposed to be able to use the app to see your balance and I had over £79 on the old app and want to know what happens to that money I put on once I registered to the new one. I hope I havent lost all that money from before I registered. 

Userlevel 2

This change is total rubbish, for all the reasons above. Just tried calling them, no chance of getting through without a 40 minute wait.

is this still the same company- hate this type of thing.

looking to move supply tonight, absolutely disgraceful 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for this feedback, @janiwarrant @Chris Mitchell @Garyh - I’m really sorry for each and every person that has had long wait times to get through when calling.

We are seeing large calling volumes, likely as a result of a combination of the change smart PAYG generating lots of contact, as well as the usual high contact we see in colder weather. We’re doing our best to increase bums on seats to take your call and we are thankful for the patience of anyone who is in a queue.

Userlevel 4

Thanks for the feedback regarding waiting times Tim, but can you answer the fundamental questions regarding why the new app is so poor and hasn’t the functionality of the old one??

Userlevel 2

Understand this Tim, but what’s going to happen with this excuse of an App you have given everyone, it’s totally pointless?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

In response to your balance not showing in the app, you’ll be able to get an In Home Display that shows you this. If you don’t have an IHD already, request one by Facebook and Twitter or phone: 0330 102 7517

In the meantime, you can view your meter balance by pressing 7 on the smart meter keypad. It will show you emergency credit info and then the current balance will be on the next screen.

If you’ve changed your mind and don’t want to activate your emergency credit, just press B.

Once you’ve activated your emergency credit, you can check up on it by pressing 7 on your smart meter keypad.

If you’ve still got some credit left, the screen will first display ‘E-CREDIT’ and then ‘IN USE’.

If you’ve used up all your emergency credit, the screen will first display ‘E-CREDIT’ and then ‘USED UP’.

If you want to know how much you need to repay (including the emergency credit you’ve used) to reconnect your supply, press 7 again.

Userlevel 4

Once again you are totally missing the point!!

Why isn’t it shown in the APP, that is why I switched to you in the first place.

Currently there is no reason to stay with your company as you now don’t offer the service I came to you for.

Userlevel 1

Pressing 7 on my meter doesnt show me anything to do with my current balance, and the new app doesnt either, is there ANY WAY to view my current balance so I know how much is left? Why mess with something that worked completely fine.

Id topped up £15 returned to the older app to check and it says we are switching you over and wont even show me there now.

Userlevel 1

The whole reason I Joined is for the convenience of managing my account on my phone.

The new app is a backward step in every way. if it does not change and become more user friendly I will leave and find another supplier.

I completely agree! Can’t get my balance, my IHD has never shown a balance! No new top up card received. Have tweeted but no reply, can’t get through on the phone……...rubbish service! I suspect they want us to top up blind so we spend more than we need. 

Userlevel 2

I’ve just had to top up as I don’t know what’s on the meter, just spotted minimum is now £10, I’ve just been made redundant and dealing with this annoyance is the last thing I need when I need to budget every single penny. Dawn, I think your right, they have stopped the £30 credit facility they had which was useful and now using us build a cash balance. My gas is moving on the 17th, to a direct debit plan, smart meter with top up facilities, best of both world really - electric will move shortly after.

just to add a note; I don’t like getting emails from ‘Economy Energy’ either - makes you feel like a second class citizen when these are the dearest tariffs on the market - not happy.

Userlevel 2

I’ve just had to top up on both too as no facility to check usage/balance and I’m sure it said when it was changing over we wouldn’t receive texts to let us know balance was low, so how you supposed to check your balance if you’re at work?

This new app is totally rubbish and am definitely looking into a new energy supplier. I couldn’t fault them previously but this is a joke!

Userlevel 1

My meter is not in my house. In fact, it is technically attached to my neighbour (in their garden) and so I don’t have easy access to my meter. 

So what was the point of removing the in-app balance? I do not understand the logic of this and I haven’t seen anyone from Boost justify this change.

Userlevel 1

I am asking this very same question. The app has now just turned into a glorified electronic doorstop. Gone from being useful to just being there to top-up. You are as well getting rid of it and going back to just using a card to top-up.

Userlevel 1

My meter is not in my house. In fact, it is technically attached to my neighbour (in their garden) and so I don’t have easy access to my meter. 

So what was the point of removing the in-app balance? I do not understand the logic of this and I haven’t seen anyone from Boost justify this change.

Absolutely ridiculous, the new app shows no useful info, and they are not sending emails to alert you of low balance! I guess when the lights go out, it's time to top up! 

Userlevel 1

Absolutely ridiculous, the new app shows no useful info, and they are not sending emails to alert you of low balance! I guess when the lights go out, it's time to top up! 

We are as well not even have the app now. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot with something like this as an app for customers. Then when you try to call they say because of their changes they have to make priority for others, well new provider is on the cards here.

Userlevel 3

i totally agree with you chris. same reason here. i need to access this while abroad. no good to me on a display at home. im hardly ever there

Userlevel 3

how is this done from another country?  without the feature in the app, this is useless. also, i tried to top up both on the new app, as its not 2 separate transactions, my card issuer had flagged it as fraud. this new app and way of using your energy is completely useless. the old app was better, user friendly and made it easier to manage. now we have to be mind readers and play the guessing game.

very disappointed, very unhappy customer. and to be 240th in a queue when calling customer services. disgusting.

i shall be leaving as soon as i physically can

Userlevel 3

I’ve just had to top up as I don’t know what’s on the meter, just spotted minimum is now £10, I’ve just been made redundant and dealing with this annoyance is the last thing I need when I need to budget every single penny. Dawn, I think your right, they have stopped the £30 credit facility they had which was useful and now using us build a cash balance. My gas is moving on the 17th, to a direct debit plan, smart meter with top up facilities, best of both world really - electric will move shortly after.

just to add a note; I don’t like getting emails from ‘Economy Energy’ either - makes you feel like a second class citizen when these are the dearest tariffs on the market - not happy.

hi *garyh, which supplier are you changing to? the ability to top up and have a credit meter sounds ideal. cheers andy

Userlevel 2

hi *garyh, which supplier are you changing to? the ability to top up and have a credit meter sounds ideal. cheers andy

I’ve signed up with bulb. Only downside is I have to wait 3 weeks to switch but will be worth it!

Userlevel 3

I’ve signed up with bulb. Only downside is I have to wait 3 weeks to switch but will be worth it!

cheers for that. ill give them a go

Userlevel 2

Hi Andy, it’s eon for the gas, if it goes smoothly they will do electric afterwards. Don’t know how good they are but it sounded like a good thing for me, cheers Gary

Userlevel 2

I’ve signed up with bulb too… I know companies can drop the odd bollaric, but, this seems so amateurish its beyond belief…

1. They put you on a live service, which is buckled and broken and in no way ready for real life end use, and remove EVERYTHING that would help the end user if they hit the skids.
  2. The app side is built terrible, I cannot log in yet, but going off what I seen already, like how they just cannot be chewed to echo back a response to the app from the server to say that your email isn't recognised is plain old lazy… Here’s how easy it is… HTTPJob in the app->server picks it up->queries database->is there rows?->If yes, echo back saying we’ve found you->if no, echo back saying nope, your not here->App reports response… Done! Any of that, well hell no… Basically, all you get is “If your email is in our system, we will contact you… If not, watch your emails pointlessly for a day or two because you’ll never know if we are contacting you”
  3. Repeat number 2 for their contact form on the website, as well as, if your using a contact form on a website, then, it shouldnt really matter if the email is in the database… Its a contact form FFS
  4. Relying on social media to fix issues… Sorry, no… No no no no

5 Worst part, which done it for me… Hanging up on customers, especially when its an emergency, no company should do that, and to me, thats the point where I stop and move on, because it is a sign that they arent bothered, no matter how many times you read the words “sorry”, because lets face it, companies in the modern world have whipped that word into white noise on the reasoning they’ve changed something that isnt actually broken to help the bottom line and its all went pear shaped… No matter how they dress it up with their marketing…

That is all this is an exercise in, and, it obviously hasn't been worth it by the looks of it!

It seems you like to skate round the issue of not being able to see your gas and electric balance on the new app and refer to the ihd and meters. My meters have no keypad and all my ihd displays is some information about my gas account but not electric. Please explain as i jave no idea how much i have on my duel accounts.