Solved

Why am I being charged for energy I haven't used?

• 31 January 2020
  • 15 replies

Half of the week my boiler is switched off and I expect to have not consumed any gas while it is.

How come, when I check my smart meter, £2 or so has been burnt while I remain cold? Also, emergency credit has a mind of its own.

Kind regards,

Darren H

icon

Best answer by Bradley_Boost 31 January 2020, 15:21

Updated 23/09/2020 - If you’re concerned that your meter is clocking more than you’re using, you can perform a test to check the meter. Here’s a link with instructions, just let us know the result of this if it’s showing anything abnormal.

Hey @darren91 

Thanks for reaching out on the Boost forum about your query.

It’s very odd that you’d be charged for any energy usage if there is none being used in your property. It’s not uncommon to see very faint amounts of gas usage showing as some gas can escape through even when these appliances are off. But, with the charges you’ve stated, we may need to check out everything is working as it should be.

I recommend reaching out to the Boost team via our Facebook or Twitter pages, or send them an email at hello@boostpower.co.uk.

Let me know how you get on,

Bradley 

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Updated 23/09/2020 - If you’re concerned that your meter is clocking more than you’re using, you can perform a test to check the meter. Here’s a link with instructions, just let us know the result of this if it’s showing anything abnormal.

Hey @darren91 

Thanks for reaching out on the Boost forum about your query.

It’s very odd that you’d be charged for any energy usage if there is none being used in your property. It’s not uncommon to see very faint amounts of gas usage showing as some gas can escape through even when these appliances are off. But, with the charges you’ve stated, we may need to check out everything is working as it should be.

I recommend reaching out to the Boost team via our Facebook or Twitter pages, or send them an email at hello@boostpower.co.uk.

Let me know how you get on,

Bradley 

Thank you Bradley I will prepare an email. My boiler is regularly checked so I don't expect any problems. My vision of paying for gas is that it permits me access to it from wherever it is sourced and that means the taps run while I am in credit and that I can't hold onto it for a later stage?

I will be looking for a more eco supplier. 

Kind regards

Userlevel 5
Badge

I think @Bradley_Boost is talking about incredibly small amounts here, @darren91, barely noticeable BUT it could be just enough to pick up on the meter.

If you’re concerned that your meter is clocking more than you’re using, you can perform a test to check the meter. Here’s a link with instructions, just let us know the result of this if it’s showing anything abnormal.

Cheers,

Ed

Dear Ed, I am unable to perform tests as the only gas consumers are the radiators. Maybe I will turn down every dial and report back.
Looking on the IHD it's clocked me in as using 35p min to 45p max daily. So since Sunday while the boiler has been switched off £3.35 has vanished.

You have made great sense and I will report next week about any reduction or increase after I do my best to turn all the mechanical levers down 👍

Best

Darren

Hi here is day 1 of my IHD

A
B

Sorry the update for the gas was 2 months behind so here is it updated as today.

A
B

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hey @darren91 - it looks to me like the Total: £3.35 bit is for the usage for just over a week? As the graph shows a bar for each day for a 9 day period, each just below 45p each.

Dear Nancy_Boost thank you for your response, similar to what Ed said it is apparent that I am being charged for incorrect ‘clocking’ beyond my control. My gas has been off for 1 week and look again at what my IHD says. I will be choosing a new supplier as I have had no explanation. If you or anyone manages to consume dead on 35p a day then please share your IHD.

A

B

Hi again, after inspecting the yearly summary you sent me recently, on the back it details the ‘standing charge’ which is that 35p that has been draining. So for gas and electric from you it costs 63.5p regardless of whether I have used it or not. So I could essentially detach my place from all external pipes etc and still have to pay. I guess it’s maybe a bit controversial so I won’t go into a rant.

The bill you sent me doesn’t account for the standing charge in the overall cost. However, I know I’ve spent more than you have told me I have consumed.

Thanks for your help.

Darren

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hey @darren91 

I was going to suggest, due to the similar daily levels, that most of the charge would’ve been from a daily standing charge.

One thing to note, is if you were to ever cap an energy supply in your property, Boost can remove the daily standing charges. It appears you wouldn't be looking to do this though,  even though you appear to use it very little.

All the best,

Bradley 

I topped up my account on the 25th of February with £60, and by the weekend I had to top up with another £20. This morning I got a text telling me my gas and electricity was in emergency from today and I'll need to top up again tomorrow by 10am. I know for a fact I haven't possibly used this amount of energy in the space of 10 days. And usually £30 lasts for more than a week for me. 

I'm stressed as I've no money left to top up any more and nobody is in a position to help me. Paying all this has meant my other Bill's have had to be missed. And tomorrow my supply is going to be cut off.

Has this happened to anyone else? 

Does anyone have any ideas for what to do?

I think there is a fault with my electric smart meter as it keeps coming up with messages saying no credit and going off when there is credit available. Also we are topping up almost every other day. £80 in 19 days! It's impossible to speak to anyone in customer service and when you do  get through they don't understand what I am saying. I have taken a meter reading to see if this sheds some light onwhat is happening but again can find no way of passing this info kn to Boost. Are there any suggestions on what I can do next?

In having the same problem.  I've also put £80 in my meter and it's going to cut off tomorrow.  I've got no money left and I'm stressed with this 

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Lesslee51 and @Leeb66, I’ve moved your post over here, as there’s some info that’s gonna help you out!

If you’re concerned that your meter is clocking more than you’re using, you can perform a test to check the meter. Here’s a link with instructions, just let us know the result of this if it’s showing anything abnormal.