The Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) 6 User Guide

• 20 January 2021
  • 30 replies
The Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) 6 User Guide
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Updated on 22/09/21 by Tim_Boost: 

Get familiar with your new IHD

With the recent changes to our app, many of your will have been sent a new Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) 6. So we thought it would be handy to have a dedicated topic guide for this device. If you haven’t got an IHD6 yet, request one here

When you’re sent an In-Home Display, this needs linking up (pairing) with your meters, with the help of our Support team. Call us to get this done when you’re near the device: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile).

The default screen on these are often set to “Usage today” rather than your current balance. There is a simple fix to get your balance as the home screen default:

Choosing Your Home Screen Layout

From SETTINGS you can also change the view of your home screen according to your personal preference by selecting HOME screen. This option will give you four different home screen layouts to choose from. Use the left and right arrows to scroll through the options. Once you have chosen the screen view you prefer, press SET to save the settings. 

Here’s an idea of the screens to look out for: 

3xgWJ9kqg_AgaxuSwftQzCH1PJChpLjoJFY2BN2Cd2CbiTLSfapy1hfjuAUhieoL0BYyYZG4p1tVpj4Z9x4HAIUhpTA7STwzlplbXOkiMKwwLYIOTfld1ndfq_42Twrt4jap2C-D

SKXBEASinPA4eu-Gf6-D4E-zBlUbILxl-bGk53Lby8RPIkqeKi4lG7HCvO78yecA2uYvi_Q9oDLsHkWneebvhNtd6tTOLf4J9MzR2eWle3rz4GS8Cw8LsRjGgacVoSCLqMVAAb2q

7iMUdgDKvvVXGlB0sHpp4W__WW4IwmEjVq-9Nh2RpdDMrxqKJqa6uVEc2gO5TjKcCiKDpGsDX9G5N2kuUxA7ie8U7F5Bq7uSF7So79CQMcHWB1rIZ3yv33CItfkCZmKYMqxTvYy5

KhVfA3aWCmUHQcmrqszXiX3PFaN6LMQNNWf662YvwpzoWjpJqx5PRqDyKrbIQz6kjMAKwLMeGmV7R1a1_pXQ-K0N2EiN7heL7E9eplIyFCn1QdgYZbAz78bIisHie7MBaoSTsFuw

qo31BIxHdur0C7xoMSAuPLhXQ0xdooFokokcGCHhqSXS44606fwFxZArNqhY_p-gqNtpkpFA_HKQCuzxcaFnEVd4ACCpWpB96C7s6fAFz6I_kPGeQfih8BDeT7PRp91fVHgyT1Nz

BULqtrzcsUiaoXRUBIRm9SAmNHowlTXAglJkFAT9HntNpKGIqyYjOYN-N4ZRc8Q78jca-812iy8oBYRCEA6a3GNur6kJ9ym-anN-FaIsYDOsYjCw2Iv_ayreY63H2GNVRa5VPpZt

GqqGIIIaXAsiMTrxBasTMWYo5-E1DLhtnZDOXkgEoYLcjTljF39kwM3M8_7S7WLQ72oeZRuqt5CbWQo36vNaiTyDhio-uS-JUp75jJY2Sbk6D9ICbrwlMRMvKzJNKa_RQTN2J7F3

37UqEVlV5bc00R_uWO4tcx9rngnUf98XbJfsPidjQg8qoOq06nhODfbaNBmFvyHfnBExsyPibuDROpABGQGCThnwiYb06dYyM7UUfPjG8nx_gPyTBJuUrHO4y5hvMJiSTMEUKfPv

There is also a super handy user guide here.

The video and guide were created by Chameleon Technology you can find them here

If you have an issue with your IHD6:

To help the Support team work out why the IHD isn’t connecting, we need you to do some checks, which you might need to provide to the team via email, depending on what you diagnose: hello@boostpower.co.uk

Is there a WAN and HAN connection?

Check the electricity meter and confirm what the LED light labelled 'WAN' and ‘HAN’ is doing.

If you have a Secure Liberty smart meter, and the WAN light is flashing, the meter has WAN. Please check how many times the light flashes between pauses. One flash between pauses means very low signal, five means great signal. If the light is solid, there's no WAN. The HAN light will be solid when the HAN is open - this will activated during install (when pairing the electricity meter to the gas meter and any devices) as well as when pairing an IHD or smart relay via SFE. Once this process has completed, the HAN light will turn off. So you’ll need to check the IHD directly to see if it’s connected to the HAN.

If you have a Aclara S2 smart meter, if there’s WAN and HAN coverage the WAN & HAN lights on top will flash every 5 seconds. If they are searching for signal then they will flash every 3 seconds and if there is a connectivity issue then they will flash every 1 second or not flash at all.

Here are a list of questions you may be asked, if your meter has no or poor WAN:

1. How strong is the mobile phone signal next to your meter?
  2. Is there anything metallic in the way of the meter which could be moved?
  3. If the meter has something metallic blocking the signal - for instance a mirror or an ironing board - then moving this may solve the problem.
  4. Is your electricity meter in a metal box (e.g a metal meter cupboard)? 
  5. Is your electricity meter in a basement, or is it partially enclosed (e.g in a closed cupboard under the stairs)?

If the IHD is showing missing data for one or both fuels and the meter comms are fine, you should perform the following checks.

1 - Check the distance to the electricity meter, has the IHD been moved? 

Try to keep the IHD within a max of 6 metres from the electricity meter. The signal will decline significantly with walls.

2 -  Has the IHD shown data previously or has anything changed e.g. obstructions?

If the IHD was previously showing data, check if anything has changed in the home that could have caused the loss of communication.

3 - Is the IHD showing the correct time?

If it's not showing the correct time, the IHD is not paired.

4 - Check the IHD signal bars

Signal bars solid > IHD is paired.
Signal bars flashing > Needs to be paired by our Support team: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)

5 - Try turning off for several minutes before turning back on.

If we’ve missed anything out, please leave a comment below!

In Home Display FAQs:

Why is my IHD balance different from my app balance? 

The app balance gets updated once a day after midnight. If you've used energy since midnight or if you've topped up since the time your energy balance updated on your app, then your app balance will be out of date. 

If your meter isn’t communicating with us, then your balance won't update in the app. But the IHD will communicate from your meter throughout the day to stay up to date.

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS1 meter

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

A SMETS1 meter has a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it’ll just have the 2 red and blue buttons, but no keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my meter or IHD?

It’s normal for smart meters to lose signal from time to time, just like mobile phones. This means it might take longer than usual for your top-up to show up as energy credit. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to see your top-ups on your meter, but you can always add them manually too. Read on for more info. 

How do I top up my SMETS1 meters manually?

After making a payment, it takes up to 30 minutes (for electricity) and 60 minutes (for gas) for the money to show on your meter. If it doesn’t, you can give it a little push.

For this, you’ll need the 20-digit code on your PayPoint receipt. This is why it’s always best to keep your receipts safe.

• Press on your gas or electricity meter

• Enter the code from your receipt

• Tap B to confirm and it’s all done!

If you top up online or via your app, PayPoint will either email them to you or send them via text.

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on, so make sure all gas appliances are off before trying to reconnect. If the meter has disconnected, you can reconnect it by pressing AAB (SMETS1) or holding and B at the same time (SMETS2).

Why did my SMETS1 meter cut out without using emergency credit first? 

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD

When your balance drops below £5, your IHD will flash and tell you that you can activate the emergency credit. If you don’t, it’ll then flash again when your balance is below 50p:

• Navigate to the main menu

• Click on Account

• Press the  emergency credit button

(You’ll find more detailed information on what to do in your IHD booklet.)

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter:

• Press the 7 on the keypad

• You’ll see a message saying EC OFFER – tap A to accept the emergency credit or B to ignore

• Then tap B to confirm

• By pressing 7 you’ll see whether the credit has been activated – it’ll tell you EC SELECTED

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS2 meter

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

You can tell if you’ve got a SMETS1 meter, as it will have a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it will just have the 2 red and blue buttons, keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my SMETS2 meter or IHD?

Smart meters can stop communicating with us for a number of reasons. If your top-up hasn't appeared on your meter, follow the instructions below to add your credit manually.. 

How do I top up my SMETS2 meters manually?

There are 2 ways:

1. Using your IHD – this is the easiest and fastest way:

• Tap the menu icon at the bottom right of the screen

• Press Top-Up

• Choose the fuel you want to top up

• Press OK

• Enter your PayPoint code

• Tap OK

• The IHD will then confirm that your money has been added to your meter

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A on your meter until you see Enter Top Up Code

• Press and hold A to begin typing 

• Enter your code using the A and B buttons to navigate through the digits

• Press and hold B when complete

• The meter will show you one of these messages: Top Up accepted or Invalid

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press C on your gas meter to enter the menu

• Using and B, scroll to Prepayment and press C

• Tap A and B until you see New Payment

• Press to select it

• Use A and B to enter your code

• Tap C again

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on. If the meter has disconnected, you should be asked to press any button following a top-up to trigger a reconnection.

Why did my SMETS2 meter cut out straight away without warning? Where is my emergency credit?

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD:

If your balance drops below £5, the IHD will tell you that your emergency credit is available:

• Press the menu button

• Tap E-Credit

• Select the fuel you want emergency credit for (gas or electricity)

• Press OK

• The IHD will confirm your request

• You’ll see Emergency credit in use next to the fuel you’ve added it to

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter

For electricity:

If your balance goes below £0, your meter will say EMC available:

• Press A to cancel or B to activate it

• You should now see 2 emergency credit balances. The first is how much emergency credit you have left and the second shows how much has already been accepted

• If you select the emergency credit, you’ll see an EC sign on the display at the bottom-right corner

For gas:

• Press any button on your gas meter to wake up the screen

• If you have any emergency credit available, you’ll see an EC logo on the screen, next to the signal bar icon

• Press C to enter the menu and B to scroll to Prepayment

• Tap C to enter

• Press B to scroll down to the Emerg. Credit option, then C to enter

• If the status says Available, press C to accept the £5 emergency credit (you should hear a beep sound and the status should change to In-Use)

• You can check your emergency credit balance by going through the same menu options until you see Limit and Remaining

30 replies

Hi,
I've spotted my electricity meter today with the screen saying "application FW 07.04.00" and if I press any button it doesn't react: it keeps showing only this. The red indicator closest to the screen turns on for a few seconds and then it turns off for more time. See the picture below..

The smart display in my house shows two signal bars for the connection to the meter and it’s not stable all day (when it drops to one bar it gets disconnected)...can you kindly increase the zigbee transmitter power a little bit? If I connect it to the wifi it loses the connection to the meter and from 2 signal bars it drops to 1 bar...

The last bit: I've received the previous old meter credit on electricity but not on gas.

Thank you.

Max

latest update: the IHD6 smart screen is showing only the gas data and the electric side disappeared. I’m thinking that they run an update on the electric meter but something went wrong...what should I do now if I need to enable the emergency credit? I can’t even know the credit...I’ll try to top-up a bit asap...

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @mxmx and thanks for posting this - lots of handy info and a picture really helps!

If the smart meter has been recently fitted, it’s likely there is still work being done behind the scenes with regards to the firmware (that’s what the screen display is referring to) and the devices (such as the gas and IHD) connected to the Home Area Network (HAN). It can take weeks from previous experience. 

Can you confirm when it was fitted and if you’ve been able to top up either meters? We’ll piece this together from the info you give. If you can’t top up and concerned about going off supply, please call us: 0330 102 7517

fitted on 16/11. I've topped up via Paypoint and the electricity is still on so far.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks @mxmx yep this is likely effected by us setting up your meters. if the gas isn’t set up fully, it shouldn’t disconnect. 

However it shouldn’t take this long, as least it shouldn’t for the core features of taking credit and deducting usage. Please can you report this with the Support team and they can pass it on to the S2 team: 0330 102 7517

Hi, I’m struggling to find a way of getting hold of someone for some help. So basically I’m running low on my gas, I only know this if I go and check my meter outside. For some reason ever since I’ve had my smart meter it does not show up my gas information on the screen only my electric. Also I’ve been having issues with my gas card at pay points... every time I go top up there’s an issue and they have to keep scanning the card about 6 times before it works. Now this is not working at all and I have no way of topping up as apparently my account is yet to be set up? I also have no emergency credit option on my smart meter. it’s freezing and I’m worried that I’m going to run out, which is an inconvenience especially as I’m working from home. I’ve had nothing but issues and if these are not rectified I’m just going to go to a different company. if I’m honest I’ve heard nothing but bad things about boost ever since I registered

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @Jessica.Robinson 

I’ve moved your comment here, so that you’re able to find more advice and info about the IHD issue you’re having! We recommend plugging it in as close to your electricity meter as possible, and leaving it for around 24 hours. This should give the IHD time to receive all the information to display to you! 

As for topping up, it sounds like you’re top up card is a little worn. As we’re currently not office based due to the pandemic, we’re unable to issue new ones! So we’ve come up with new ways for customers to top up and be contact free.

You can use the new Boost Top Up app, which you can find more handy info about here. You can also generate your own barcodes for the PayPoints to scan. 

I hope this has been helpful. Should you need any more help from us you can pop us a message on our Facebook page here. 

Take Care :slight_smile:

Userlevel 3

Since the announcement of change of service. I've been given an IHD, which doesn't work and is  permanently stuck in August 23rd 2019. I've had my gas metre reading vanish twice, I've had hours of time on hold on the phone... And I will now be forcibly put on a service, not on the level that I signed up for.

Really is shocking service 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’ve moved your message here @psychoduck, as it’s relating to the IHD. 

It sounds like the IHD may need to be unpaired and repaired with your meters. This will need to be done with our Care team.

Once re-paired you’ll need to leave your IHD next to your electricity meter for 24 hours to allow all the data to sync. 

You can reach the team Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, on 0330 102 7517.  Whilst I understand our call volumes were previously high, our team have worked exceptionally hard and they’re now resuming back to normal. 

Userlevel 1

My ihd isn't pairing... 

I have ihd6 and s1 (16p) meters.... 

The flashing wan shows strong signal of 5 flashes then a break.  

The ihd has been connected to the broadband successfully for 48 hrs now and isn't showing any signs of picking up signals..

The meter is i. The open and the ihd is within 2 meters of the box so distance shouldn't be an issue... Please advise

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @splreece1978 - I’ve moved your question over here so we can keep everything IHD related together.

In this instance, the best advice I can give is to call us on 0330 102 7517. They’ll most likely need to un-pair the device from the meters, then re-pair it again.

They’re available 8am - 8pm Monday - Friday, and 9am - 5pm Saturday and Sunday as well.

Thanks,

Ed

Userlevel 1

What do I do as mine has lost connection and everything you have told me to do hasnt worked. Please help!!

My Chameleon smart meter monitor keeps turning itself on and off is it possible someone could point me in the right direction to get this sorted please.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

What do I do as mine has lost connection and everything you have told me to do hasnt worked. Please help!!

Ahh sorry to hear this, @Charlie7992 

There’s a series of checks you can do to diagnose connection issues. It could be a number of things causing this, unfortunately. 

At the top left of the device, what is the signal bar saying? How far is the device from your electric meter? Try moving it closer to see if there’s any changes. 

@Marcoos45 this is a strange one. I’ve moved your comment over to our guide topic. I’d suggest looking at the tutorial video for an overview. As for the device turning itself off and on again, I have actually never heard of this. It sounds obvious, but it’s worth checking the connection between the plug and the power adaptor, and the power cable and the device. Let’s go from there and see if we can figure this out. A picture of the device when on would help…..

Userlevel 1

Most of Sunday 14/2/21 and all of today 15/2/21 my IHD has been saying connection lost. For the week prior to this, it was losing connection but gaining it back after a short period. I have tried taking it down closer to the meter, but no change at all.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Highlinder28 - It may be best to get in touch on 0330 102 7517 so that we can look at un-pairing the display from the meters, then re-pairing it again. This seems to resolve most issues, so if it’s not gaining connection again, this would be what I’d advise.

They’re available 8am - 8pm weekdays, and 9am - 5pm weekends.

Userlevel 1

@Highlinder28 - It may be best to get in touch on 0330 102 7517 so that we can look at un-pairing the display from the meters, then re-pairing it again. This seems to resolve most issues, so if it’s not gaining connection again, this would be what I’d advise.

They’re available 8am - 8pm weekdays, and 9am - 5pm weekends.

Well turned out that the IHD was done for and only after a few months, not even moved or anything. So now new one has been ordered.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Glad to hear you’re getting a new one, @Highlinder28, fingers crossed this one lasts a bit longer! 

How do you pair the ihd 6 to smart meter ? Having tried to get help via customer services over the phone and failed because the person told me to plug it in at the side of the meter and leave for 24 hr... 

Having a go at pairing myself the ihd is constantly saying waiting under pair CAD to account, the WiFi signal on both meter and ihd are fine so can anyone advise please

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

How do you pair the ihd 6 to smart meter ?

Hi @Nicola2467 and thanks for posting. 

If your IHD isn’t paired with your smart meter, it needs pairing. How to check?

Signal bars flashing > Needs to be paired

This needs doing when you’re by the IHD, and with the help of our Support team, who perform an action remotely to open up the smart meter network. Give us a call to sort this when you’re at home, on: 0330 102 7517.

Hope this helps!

How do I register my ihd?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @steviehone and thanks for posting. To answer your question:

When you’re sent an In-Home Display, this needs linking up (pairing) with your meters, with the help of our Support team. Call us to get this done when you’re near the device: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile).

There is also a super handy user guide here.

Once it arrives, check out the video guide at the top of this topic to get it set up just as you’d like it! 

Userlevel 1

Hi

My new IHD arrived a day or so ago and i called to get it linked yesterday. However it shows no details of my PAYG account? I have no balnce or any of the items relating to a PAYG account?

Regards

Mark

Userlevel 2

Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting in touch. Very strange that you’re not seeing the PAYG options on your new IHD. As the device has only just been linked up to your meters, I’m wondering whether this might explain things -  sometimes it can take up to 24 hours until the IHD is fully paired up. 

If it’s still not updated with the PAYG options and it’s been over 24 hours, it might be worth going through the trouble-shooting advice given above - 

1 - Check the distance to the electricity meter, has the IHD been moved? 

Try to keep the IHD within a max of 6 metres from the electricity meter. The signal will decline significantly with walls.

2 -  Has the IHD shown data previously or has anything changed e.g. obstructions?

If the IHD was previously showing data, check if anything has changed in the home that could have caused the loss of communication.

3 - Is the IHD showing the correct time?

If it's not showing the correct time, the IHD is not paired.

4 - Check the IHD signal bars

Signal bars flashing > Needs to be paired by our Support team: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)

Try this and let us know how you get on - this is really helpful for others who may be having the same problem with their new IHD.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

Try this and let us know how you get on - this is really helpful for others who may be having the same problem with their new IHD.

Perfect thank you a reboot did the trick