Tutorial

Smart PAYG - a guide to the new app

• 20 January 2021
  • 41 replies
Smart PAYG - a guide to the new app
Userlevel 5
Badge

Updated on 11/10/21 by Tim_Boost:

By now, most of you have probably got used to how the new app works, but just in case, we’ve put together a guide to explain the ins and outs of the ‘Boost Top Up’ app:

Firstly, a question many of you have asked:

The Boost Top Up app - Features

Here’s a brief overview of the features available.

Top up

This button allows credit to be applied to your smart meters. Debit card details are stored on the app for easy transactions. Each supply in the property will be identified by a payment allocation number (PAN) and can be selected for topping up.

Pay in store

For any customers who wish to top up cash, who don't have access to a PAN card, they can use this option to generate a barcode. This can be scanned at the Paypoint rather than typing in a 19 digit code.

My payments

A history of all payments made on the app, including the date and amount. Payments take up to 24 hours to be reflected here. If you want to check a recent payment, you can check your confirmation email or SMS.

My cards

All debit cards or bank cards can be managed from here. If you want to remove an old bank card and replace it with a new one, that can be processed from this page.

Manage accounts

Accounts refers to each energy supply, so in a standard dual fuel home you would expect to see two accounts; one for gas and another for electricity. Each will have a payment allocation number (PAN).

Card numbers can be added or replaced here.

My details

This is where you can amend your name, telephone number (for SMS receipts) and email address. The receipts can also be toggled on and off here.

Store finder

The store finder will locate any local Paypoint outlets in case the customer wishes to top up with cash. The customer just needs to input a postcode and a map with all the shops that offer Paypoint vending will be displayed.

Common questions about the app and Smart PAYG balance:

I’m already on PAYG Smart, can I use the new Boost Top-up app?

Of course – you’ll find all the instructions on how to download it in the letters or emails we’ve sent you on the day you moved to PAYG Smart.

When will the old PAYG+ app stop working?

You can carry on using it until we get in touch about the exact date of your move to PAYG Smart. We’ll give you plenty of notice.

When can I download the new Boost Top-up app?

If we’ve written to ask you to download the Boost Top-up app, please follow the instructions on how to set it up. If we haven’t been in touch about this yet, keep on using the PAYG+ app until you hear from us. 

What should I do once I move from PAYG+ to PAYG Smart?

You just need to download the new app. It’s called ‘Boost Top-up’.  Once you’ve done that… 

1. Open it and tap Sign In
  2. Select Forgot password
  3. Enter the email address we use to contact you, and press Next
  4. Then choose a new password
  5. Head to your email inbox – you'll see a Boost password reset email from us
  6. Enter the code from this email into the app, and press Next
  7. Choose a new password by following the instructions, and hit Confirm
  8. Sign into the app using your email and your new password – you'll stay logged in 

Your top-up cards will be added automatically to the new app, so you can start making payments anytime.

Remember, your PAYG+ balance will move across automatically. You can also delete the old PAYG+ app.

Will I be able to see my balance in the new Boost Top-up app?

Yes, but it might take up to 3 days to show after downloading the app for the first time. Your balance will be updated each day after midnight. That said, if your meters aren't communicating with us frequently, your balance might not show at all – or be out of date.

Why isn’t the balance showing on my app?

It could be that you don’t have the latest version of the Boost Top-up app. You need to download it (App Store or Google Play) and use it to top-up – your balance will then show after midnight. 

One thing to note is that your balance might take up to 3 days to show after downloading the latest version.

There’s also a chance that you can’t see your balance because the connection between us and your smart meters has dropped out, and we’re not receiving data. This might happen on some meters as we experience a few teething problems with the new app.  But rest assured, we're looking to fix them as soon as possible. You can find more about this in our troubleshooting FAQs section (below). 

Why isn’t my balance showing on the browser version of the Boost Top-up app?

The balance feature isn’t available in your internet browser yet, but it’s something we hope to add in the future.  Download the app (App Store or Google Play) or read on for alternative ways to view your balance. 

Why is my IHD balance different from my app balance? 

The app balance gets updated once a day after midnight. If you've used energy since midnight or if you've topped up since the time your energy balance updated on your app, then your app balance will be out of date. 

If your meter isn’t communicating with us, then your balance won't update in the app. But the IHD will communicate from your meter throughout the day to stay up to date.

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS1 meter

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

A SMETS1 meter has a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it’ll just have the 2 red and blue buttons, but no keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my meter or IHD?

It’s normal for smart meters to lose signal from time to time, just like mobile phones. This means it might take longer than usual for your top-up to show up as energy credit. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to see your top-ups on your meter, but you can always add them manually too. Read on for more info. 

How do I top up my SMETS1 meters manually?

After making a payment, it takes up to 30 minutes (for electricity) and 60 minutes (for gas) for the money to show on your meter. If it doesn’t, you can give it a little push.

For this, you’ll need the 20-digit code on your PayPoint receipt. This is why it’s always best to keep your receipts safe.

• Press on your gas or electricity meter

• Enter the code from your receipt

• Tap B to confirm and it’s all done!

If you top up online or via your app, PayPoint will either email them to you or send them via text.

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on, so make sure all gas appliances are off before trying to reconnect. If the meter has disconnected, you can reconnect it by pressing AAB (SMETS1) or holding and B at the same time (SMETS2).

Why did my SMETS1 meter cut out without using emergency credit first? 

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD

When your balance drops below £5, your IHD will flash and tell you that you can activate the emergency credit. If you don’t, it’ll then flash again when your balance is below 50p:

• Navigate to the main menu

• Click on Account

• Press the  emergency credit button

(You’ll find more detailed information on what to do in your IHD booklet.)

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter:

• Press the 7 on the keypad

• You’ll see a message saying EC OFFER – tap A to accept the emergency credit or B to ignore

• Then tap B to confirm

• By pressing 7 you’ll see whether the credit has been activated – it’ll tell you EC SELECTED

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS2 meter

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

You can tell if you’ve got a SMETS1 meter, as it will have a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it will just have the 2 red and blue buttons, keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my SMETS2 meter or IHD?

Smart meters can stop communicating with us for a number of reasons. If your top-up hasn't appeared on your meter, follow the instructions below to add your credit manually.. 

How do I top up my SMETS2 meters manually?

There are 2 ways:

1. Using your IHD – this is the easiest and fastest way:

• Tap the menu icon at the bottom right of the screen

• Press Top-Up

• Choose the fuel you want to top up

• Press OK

• Enter your PayPoint code

• Tap OK

• The IHD will then confirm that your money has been added to your meter

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A on your meter until you see Enter Top Up Code

• Press and hold A to begin typing 

• Enter your code using the A and B buttons to navigate through the digits

• Press and hold B when complete

• The meter will show you one of these messages: Top Up accepted or Invalid

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press C on your gas meter to enter the menu

• Using and B, scroll to Prepayment and press C

• Tap A and B until you see New Payment

• Press to select it

• Use A and B to enter your code

• Tap C again

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on. If the meter has disconnected, you should be asked to press any button following a top-up to trigger a reconnection.

Why did my SMETS2 meter cut out straight away without warning? Where is my emergency credit?

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD:

If your balance drops below £5, the IHD will tell you that your emergency credit is available:

• Press the menu button

• Tap E-Credit

• Select the fuel you want emergency credit for (gas or electricity)

• Press OK

• The IHD will confirm your request

• You’ll see Emergency credit in use next to the fuel you’ve added it to

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter

For electricity:

If your balance goes below £0, your meter will say EMC available:

• Press A to cancel or B to activate it

• You should now see 2 emergency credit balances. The first is how much emergency credit you have left and the second shows how much has already been accepted

• If you select the emergency credit, you’ll see an EC sign on the display at the bottom-right corner

For gas:

• Press any button on your gas meter to wake up the screen

• If you have any emergency credit available, you’ll see an EC logo on the screen, next to the signal bar icon

• Press C to enter the menu and B to scroll to Prepayment

• Tap C to enter

• Press B to scroll down to the Emerg. Credit option, then C to enter

• If the status says Available, press C to accept the £5 emergency credit (you should hear a beep sound and the status should change to In-Use)

• You can check your emergency credit balance by going through the same menu options until you see Limit and Remaining

41 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Just got the email about being changed to the  PAYG SMART
on 18th feb
it says i wont see my balance on the app but would see it on the in home display
I dont have one!
So how am i meant to know?

Just downloaded the new payg smart app and top up my gas and electric and have email reciepts to say my payments were successful but can’t find my balance’s anywhere in the app… any ideas please ?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @JustinEnglish, I’ve moved your message to this page as it’s a great question other customers could benefit from! 

If you have an S1 meter that looks like the image below, you’ll need to press 7 on the keypad of each meter, and it’ll show your balance, you can also activate your emergency credit this way too.

On the new SMETS2 meters (again looks like the images below), then at the moment you won’t be able to view the balance on the meter.

You can also view the balance for both meters on an IHD (In Home Display) The app should give you the option to request one, however if it doesn’t please reach out to the team via Facebook here, and they can get one ordered for you. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Wow this new app is so basic
Having to get step ladders to access my meter which is touching my ceiling to view balance is a step back from the old app and being able to view the balance on the screen
Feels like we have gone back 5 years
Disappointed is a understatement.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Wow this new app is so basic
Having to get step ladders to access my meter which is touching my ceiling to view balance is a step back from the old app and being able to view the balance on the screen
Feels like we have gone back 5 years
Disappointed is a understatement.

forgot to say i asked for a IHD and it does not show me the balance on my account either

Userlevel 5
Badge

@mrslewis - sorry to hear you’re disappointed in the new app.

The In-Home Display should show your balances if it’s paired correctly to the meter. If not, please give us a call on 0330 102 7517. The agent will be able to help get that correctly paired, so that you’ll be able to view your balance there instead of having to get up a step ladder to find out!

Userlevel 2

I have already made the switch to Bulb today as I am extremely let down by Boost. I have been a customer with Boost back when it was still OVO for over 4 years now and stayed with Boost for the convenience of being able to monitor my usage online and top up accordingly. Well since 21st Feb my usage has been showing 0.00 and nothing has gone down on the amount still left for both my gas and electricity. I have had to top up blind but even that isn't showing up in recent top ups! I have been told by Bulb I can start using them from 22nd March and to use up any existing credit I have with Boost as it will wipe it when I switch but how am I suppose to know what I have left and now have to just wait and see if energy cuts out or top up blind! Boost you have really made a mess of this upgrade and from what I have read along with my own personal decision you have lost alot of loyal customers because of a shoddy upgrade that clearly is useless! Why fix something if it isn't broke. 

Userlevel 1

I can’t use the new app because when I tap ‘register’ on the first screen, it asks for a Smart TopUp Card number but I’ve never had any such thing. The customer service lady had no idea what it is either. Now I can’t top up at all and my balance is at 6 pence. What can I do?

Userlevel 1

It appears that my PAYG+ account has been switched to PAYG Smart. I only found this out when I started getting ‘low balance’ and emergency credit messages because my payments were going astray. I’m sure Boost hadn’t informed me of the switchover. However, I downloaded the new app, but I can’t use it because I can’t log in with my existing PAYG+ details and if I try to register, the first thing it asks me is to “Add your Smart TopUp cards one at a time” but I have no idea what this means. I don’t have a Smart TopUp card - what is that?

How do I register on the new Boost app? Are Boost supposed to have sent me some details to use..?

Userlevel 1

In case anyone else experiences this, you need to ask Boost for a number for each energy type, which they refer to variously as a ‘PAN’ number or a Top Up Card Number.

For electricity, apparently their crack team of experts gave me the example one shown on their system, rather than a proper one linked to my account.

Back to the phone it is then, sigh.

Userlevel 1

Right. I’ve got the PAN/top-up numbers required to top up my balances. Took 7 phone calls, but I got there in the end - I think. Waiting to see if they actually work as my gas balance is showing zero at the moment. Stunned by the ineptness of this company.

The new app not only forces you to top up two separate balances, but doesn’t show you usage or balance and to that end, is completely regressive. I’m off to Octopus Energy asap.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Nicki I’ve moved your comment here as we created a very helpful guide that explains why we made the changes to the app and how you can monitor your usage. 

It’s a shame to hear you've chosen to leave us as a result of the changes to the app. I can’t advise on how your smart meters will work with Bulb, this is something you’ll have to discuss with them. 

If you have any remaining credit left after you leave us, we’ll issue you a final statement within 6 weeks and any refund due back to you will be sent via cheque. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I trust this has now been sorted for you @Seaside Jimmy! I’ve moved your comments here as this topic explains everything you need to know about the changes to the app and how Smart PAYG works! If you don’t wish to call the Care team, you can always reach out to our Facebook team here

I was told I would be switched over on April 6th, then got a message to say it hadn’t been possible and would be delayed until a later date, and I would be sent a link to download the app. I still haven’t had this link, and I can’t download it from Play Store despite umpteen attempts. Meanwhile, the balance on my smart meter suggests I’m going to run out of electricity tomorrow - and I have no way of topping up!!! I don’t want emergency credit, I’d like to have the app and be able to top up my energy properly.

Also, the difference between my balance on the old app and the smart meters is about £18. Why is this?

Userlevel 1

This new app is absolutely abysmal. All the useful functionality like; auto top-ups, credit being used between the 2 energies, being able to see live balance, and even the winter wallet have been stripped away from it. The app is now absolutely useless, safe to say I’m looking into swapping to another provider who can provide a useful app given that I cannot even top up my gas through the app. And because the app is useless, I now have about £50 worth of ‘pending transactions’ sitting in my bank account. Safe to say if this money actually leaves my account I’ll be doing a chargeback on every single one.

And what a shock, no pay point can recognise the barcode on the app. I am not happy at all with this. What am I supposed to do? Just have no gas until I move to a new supplier because you guys cannot do anything properly?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hey @ns1974 @DRush 

I’m sorry to hear about your experiences with the recent upgrade (or lack there of for you @ns1974)

@ns1974 You should find that if there was an issue with being able to upgrade you, that nothing changed with your current prepayment set up. It sounds like some parts of your account has clearly been updated, for the things you’ve noticed. This will need to be chased asap.

@DRush - We appreciate the upgrade may not be for everyone, and yes, some functionalities have not been carried over from the PAYG+ set up.

With the new version 1.8 of the ‘Boost Top-up’ app, you should be able to see the live balances for each of your supplies, displayed on the account page.

If you still struggle seeing your balances via the app, you should be able to see them via your IHD or by pressing 6 on your smart meter keypads.

If you find any payments are still sat pending with your bank, and they’ve not reached your balance, you should find they are returned to your bank balance within 4-5 working days.

Also, during the upgrade, any previous balance on the old mode will be passed to your new balances within 7 working days.

If you both are running into any issues and need assistance, please reach out to our Boost team via their Facebook page or Twitter pages asap.

Hope this helps,

Userlevel 1

​​​

@DRush - We appreciate the upgrade may not be for everyone, and yes, some functionalities have not been carried over from the PAYG+ set up.

With the new version 1.8 of the ‘Boost Top-up’ app, you should be able to see the live balances for each of your supplies, displayed on the account page.

You are certainly right the upgrade isn’t for everyone, stripping functionality away (especially from vulnerable people who rely on it) is an absolute joke.

When will v1.8 be on the app store? Only 1.7 is showing and I have had no download link provided for 1.8.

We don’t have an IHD, now I’ve got to wait for one of those. And why should I have to check on the meters when the app worked perfectly fine?

4-5 working days isn’t good enough when it is the fault of your company why I can’t top up.

​​​​​

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @DRush - what’s the latest with your topping up barcode issue? If it’s linked with your meters, the PayPoint top up using the barcode showing in the app should work. Our number to check this is: 0330 102 7517. If it’s correct but the PayPoint shop assistant can’t make it work, their helpline number is: 0800 310 0000.  

Good point about version 1.8. On my iOS App store, 1.7 is the latest version showing. I’m checking on this and I’ll be back with an update when I have it. 

To get an IHD sent to you, great for viewing usage, live balance and for setting targets, reach out to our Support team to request this: hello@boostpower.co.uk. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

What’s the latest on this, @DRush?

Please be advised that 1.7 should be the correct version of Smart PAYG app for IOS, and 1.8 for Android

Tim

Userlevel 1

Hi @DRush - what’s the latest with your topping up barcode issue? If it’s linked with your meters, the PayPoint top up using the barcode showing in the app should work. Our number to check this is: 0330 102 7517. If it’s correct but the PayPoint shop assistant can’t make it work, their helpline number is: 0800 310 0000.  

Good point about version 1.8. On my iOS App store, 1.7 is the latest version showing. I’m checking on this and I’ll be back with an update when I have it. 

To get an IHD sent to you, great for viewing usage, live balance and for setting targets, reach out to our Support team to request this: hello@boostpower.co.uk. 

The latest is that on the day I hadn’t been swapped over (and wasn’t swapped over until the day after). The app now works but honestly, I cannot wait to be rid of the app and this company as I’ve swapped providers (and I’ve made sure who I’m going to doesn’t use this app but with a different theme).

I’ve got the latest version of the app but once I can get rid of it I will be. If you guys looked at the reviews on the app stores you’d realise that the features that were stripped away were features people used and/or relied on and apparently others are jumping ship in their reviews too. And you claim that the reason they’ve been removed is after “collecting customer feedback over a number of years”. Did you only ask people who don’t use the features what they think of them? Or did you not do that at all and just did it to save yourselves a little bit of money?

Honestly I cannot wait to see the back of this company, this whole situation has caused a lot of unneeded stress.

I’ve been changed to new app and carnt get on it to top up ? 

why cant i do automated top ups anymore

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Mish52 - sorry to hear this. We might be able to help over here. 

What do you see when you log in? What happens if you use the browser version, here

Refer to your email with instructions for when and how to use the new Smart PAYG app. If we’ve not advised you to log in yet, it might be that your account isn’t changed over yet. In that case, carry on using the PAYG+ app or your Smart Standard cards as before. 

@lanewestwood it sounds like you’ve lost this feature due to moving over to the Smart PAYG app. PAYG+ had the option to automate top ups via the ‘Scheduled top up’ feature. I’ve moved your comment over to this thread, check out the info at the top which outlines Smart PAYG in more detail, and come back here if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Tim

Userlevel 1

Tell you what, this new app is absolutely useless. I now can’t even access the app to top up my meters and see how much is on them while I’m waiting to switch to a new supplier, I can’t wait to leave Boost. This wouldn't even be an issue if you didn’t want to be cheap and remove features people rely on.

I am unable to top up at the moment within the new app as it comes up with an error code 6 at the payment confirmation bit, my electric is low so now what? I know I can use emergency credit and it won't switch off over the weekend, well I hope it won't, I'm waiting for a reply back from Facebook messenger now hopefully they will help, but it's Sunday do they even work Sundays?

Telling very stressed I liked the old way but anyhoo I'll wait as long as I can...