Tutorial

Smart PAYG - a guide to the new app

• 20 January 2021
  • 6 replies
Smart PAYG - a guide to the new app
Userlevel 5
Badge

By now, most of you have probably got used to how the new app works, but there’s still a few customers who have yet to be switched, so we’ve put together a guide to explain the ins and outs of the new app.

Firstly, a question many of you have asked:

Why are we changing the app from PAYG+?

The short answer is simplicity.

The previous app, whilst it had more features, was too complicated from a technical point of view, which meant more manual work was required to keep it working/ resolve issues. More work means a higher cost, which would eventually be reflected in unit rates. We didn’t want to do this, so instead of raising our prices, we simplified the app.

The app now does much less, and the way the system puts credit on your meter is simplified as well. Whilst the only downside of simplifying is that the meter doesn’t send us the information required to show your balance on the app any more, there’s much less of a risk of things going wrong, so you should have a smoother experience overall.

How do I set up the new app?

When you’ve received a communication from us confirming you’ll be switched over to the new system, it should provide details on what to do to get it set up. 

Essentially, you need to download the app by searching for ‘Boost Top-Up’ on the Play Store or App Store, and then follow the in-app instructions to get it all set up.

The new app - Features

Here’s a brief overview of the features available.

Top up

This button allows credit to be applied to your smart meters. Debit card details are stored on the app for easy transactions. Each supply in the property will be identified by a payment allocation number (PAN) and can be selected for topping up.

Pay in store

For any customers who wish to top up cash, who don't have access to a PAN card, they can use this option to generate a barcode. This can be scanned at the Paypoint rather than typing in a 19 digit code.

My payments

A history of all payments made on the app, including the date and amount. Payments take up to 24 hours to be reflected here. If you want to check a recent payment, you can check your confirmation email or SMS.

My cards

All debit cards or bank cards can be managed from here. If you want to remove an old bank card and replace it with a new one, that can be processed from this page.

Manage accounts

Accounts refers to each energy supply, so in a standard dual fuel home you would expect to see two accounts; one for gas and another for electricity. Each will have a payment allocation number (PAN).

Card numbers can be added or replaced here.

My details

This is where you can amend your name, telephone number (for SMS receipts) and email address. The receipts can also be toggled on and off here.

Store finder

The store finder will locate any local Paypoint outlets in case the customer wishes to top up with cash. The customer just needs to input a postcode and a map with all the shops that offer Paypoint vending will be displayed.

Common issues (and how to resolve them)

There’s always going to be teething problems with a new app, and whilst most have been resolved, there’s still issues customers can come across.

Here’s the 3 most common, and how to overcome them:

No activation code received

Firstly, it’s worth checking your junk/spam folder in your email, it can sometimes end up in there. If it’s not in there, you’ll need to follow the registration process again to get the activation code.

Failed payment

Payments can fail for three reasons: 

• Insufficient funds 

• The card is blocked 

• The card has expired 

We’d recommend checking that the card has enough money, if it’s blocked, if the card has expired. If it’s none of these, then you’ll need to get in touch with us so we can check this end. You can call us on 0330 102 7517, or get in touch via our Facebook or Twitter pages.

Payment has not reached the meter

If a payment has been successfully processed, you’ll receive a confirmation message with a UTRN/Vend code. This can be typed directly on to the meter.

If the code fails multiple times, get in touch with us, and make sure you have your PAN number to hand. You can call us on 0330 102 7517, or get in touch via our Facebook or Twitter pages.

If there’s any questions you have that aren’t answered here, let us know in the comments, and we’ll make sure to update the info here!

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Just got the email about being changed to the  PAYG SMART
on 18th feb
it says i wont see my balance on the app but would see it on the in home display
I dont have one!
So how am i meant to know?

Just downloaded the new payg smart app and top up my gas and electric and have email reciepts to say my payments were successful but can’t find my balance’s anywhere in the app… any ideas please ?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @JustinEnglish, I’ve moved your message to this page as it’s a great question other customers could benefit from! 

If you have an S1 meter that looks like the image below, you’ll need to press 7 on the keypad of each meter, and it’ll show your balance, you can also activate your emergency credit this way too.

On the new SMETS2 meters (again looks like the images below), then at the moment you won’t be able to view the balance on the meter.

You can also view the balance for both meters on an IHD (In Home Display) The app should give you the option to request one, however if it doesn’t please reach out to the team via Facebook here, and they can get one ordered for you. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Wow this new app is so basic
Having to get step ladders to access my meter which is touching my ceiling to view balance is a step back from the old app and being able to view the balance on the screen
Feels like we have gone back 5 years
Disappointed is a understatement.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Wow this new app is so basic
Having to get step ladders to access my meter which is touching my ceiling to view balance is a step back from the old app and being able to view the balance on the screen
Feels like we have gone back 5 years
Disappointed is a understatement.

forgot to say i asked for a IHD and it does not show me the balance on my account either

Userlevel 5
Badge

@mrslewis - sorry to hear you’re disappointed in the new app.

The In-Home Display should show your balances if it’s paired correctly to the meter. If not, please give us a call on 0330 102 7517. The agent will be able to help get that correctly paired, so that you’ll be able to view your balance there instead of having to get up a step ladder to find out!