Solved

My In Home Display (IHD) is broken - how do I get it replaced?

• 3 August 2018
  • 3 replies

Ny kitchen was recently flooded including the ihd.
my usage is still correct on the app but the ihd is a blank screen do i need to get it replaced
icon

Best answer by Tim_Boost 7 August 2018, 17:10

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Updated on 21/09/21 by Jess_Boost

Sorry to hear that your smart meter In-Home Display isn’t showing you the important balance and usage information from your smart meter.

As there’s a number of things that could be causing the issue it’s best to carry out some troubleshooting before requesting a new device. Sometimes the device may be affected by communication issues with the meters. As a first step we’d advise you to check that the IHD is plugged in as close to your electricity meter as possible and there’s nothing that could be blocking the signal (an ironing board or another metal object between your IHD and your meters, perhaps?).

If you’re noticing issues as the IHD issues are occurring at the same time as other smart meter issues (such as top-ups not reaching the meter or your balance not updating on your Boost app (download on App Store or Google Play) it could indicate a communication issue between the meters and us. In this case the best thing to do is give the team a call on 0330 102 7517 (lines open 8am - 8pm, Monday - Friday and 9am - 5pm, Saturday - Sunday). They can run through some checks on the meter and refer the issue to our smart metering team if necessary.

If these checks show that the smart meters are in working order but it’s the device which is faulty they are able to request a new device which is sent out to you in the post.  There’s more advice in getting the best out of your device in the video below:

You might also want to see our IHD guide here:

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 1

I was told 2 years ago I would get a new display unit I have been with you for years my old one keeps packing up any chance I will get one in the near future loyalty should be rewarded I’m disabled had to go under the stairs not a pleasant experience 

Userlevel 2

I’m so sorry to hear you’re still waiting on a promised replacement In-Home Display, @ianwil52.

Just wondering if you’ve carried out any checks on the device or the smart meters to work out what’s causing the issue? I’ve moved your comment over to a similar topic as there’s some advice in the ‘Best Answer’ above that I’m hoping might help:

As there’s a number of things that could be causing the issue it’s best to carry out some troubleshooting before requesting a new device. Sometimes the device may be affected by communication issues with the meters. As a first step we’d advise you to check that the IHD is plugged in as close to your electricity meter as possible and there’s nothing that could be blocking the signal (an ironing board or another metal object between your IHD and your meters, perhaps?).

If you’re noticing issues as the IHD issues are occurring at the same time as other smart meter issues (such as top-ups not reaching the meter or your balance not updating on your Boost app (download on App Store or Google Play) it could indicate a communication issue between the meters and us. In this case the best thing to do is give the team a call on 0330 102 7517 (lines open 8am - 8pm, Monday - Friday and 9am - 5pm, Saturday - Sunday). They can run through some checks on the meter and refer the issue to our smart metering team if necessary.

If these checks show that the smart meters are in working order but it’s the device which is faulty they are able to request a new device which is sent out to you in the post.  

It’s disappointing to hear that the faulty device has meant you’ve had to venture into a tricky area, particularly if this isn’t easily accessible for you. As you mention having a disability it’s worth checking that you’ve been added to our ‘Priority Service Register’ (PSR), which is a free service offered by all energy companies to provide additional support to customers that might need it. There’s more information about the PSR here - you can can register online here or by speaking to our Support Team.

I’m hoping this information helps get the issue sorted - let us know if you need any more advice, we’re always happy to help here where we can. :slight_smile: