Solved

My gas meter keeps saying overload - what do I do?

• 9 December 2019
  • 1 reply

Every time I put my heating on my meter says overload and turns off, any help? I've turned everything off and on again a couple of times and still doesn't work. Ta

icon

Best answer by Ed_Boost 12 December 2019, 17:21

Updated on 18/09/2020

Hey @Lally1983,

I hope you’ve managed to get this sorted now, but if not, it’s easy to get an overloaded meter sorted.

Firstly, I want to say that an overloaded meter is NOT dangerous at all, it just means that the pressure isn’t regulated in the pipes leading to the meter, and as a safety precaution, the meter stops allowing gas to go through it.

To get the meter back on, you need to follow these steps:

• Turn off all gas appliances
  • The isolation valve will currently be in the on position (the lever will be in line with the pipe.) This needs to be turned (90 degrees) to the off position slowly - the turn itself should take at least thirty seconds.
  • Wait for 1 or 2 minutes
  • Press ‘AAB’ on the meter
  • Very slowly, at least thirty more seconds, turn the isolation valve to the on position again. The supply should come on after this, unless the meter overloads again.

This should work straight away, if not you may need to repeat this process a couple of times. 

Thanks,

Ed

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge

Updated on 18/09/2020

Hey @Lally1983,

I hope you’ve managed to get this sorted now, but if not, it’s easy to get an overloaded meter sorted.

Firstly, I want to say that an overloaded meter is NOT dangerous at all, it just means that the pressure isn’t regulated in the pipes leading to the meter, and as a safety precaution, the meter stops allowing gas to go through it.

To get the meter back on, you need to follow these steps:

• Turn off all gas appliances
  • The isolation valve will currently be in the on position (the lever will be in line with the pipe.) This needs to be turned (90 degrees) to the off position slowly - the turn itself should take at least thirty seconds.
  • Wait for 1 or 2 minutes
  • Press ‘AAB’ on the meter
  • Very slowly, at least thirty more seconds, turn the isolation valve to the on position again. The supply should come on after this, unless the meter overloads again.

This should work straight away, if not you may need to repeat this process a couple of times. 

Thanks,

Ed