Solved

Moving onto smart PAYG but don't have a card yet, and can't top up on the app?

Userlevel 2

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum.

I have been on OVO Credit for quite sometime and due to unforeseen circumstances best option for me was to be switched to Prepay.

First week of September I contacted OVO saying I would like to be moved to PAYG+ however was told I could only have the PAYG tariff and use Top up card.  I already had a smart meter fitted months ago.

So last Friday morning I received an email to say I been switched!? But hang on not even received my Top UP Card or IHD.  Went outside to check on meter and sure enough it's in PAYG and showing 8p used of Emergency Credit.

Tried phoning them because I have a problem now, this is going to run out and I was given no top up card before the switch over.  Several attempts at calling the number no joys.

After this point there was only one option, I contacted Ofgem and had much better success, as a good gesture they remotely put £20 onto my meter, panic over for the minute.

However I still really need the Top Up Card and really need In Home Display (which I never got from day 1)

Means going outside daily to check balance at the moment which is a pain.  I am also told eventually when the app is working I will be on PAYG Smart which I would prefer, going to shop to top up seems old school, although I'd be happy to this for the moment.

Useful switch PAYG that you cannot top up due to serious incompetence of this company.

Useless phone number that doesn't work and I don't use facebook or twitter!

I still have case open and chasing bot Top Up Card and IHD....

icon

Best answer by Tim_Boost 5 October 2020, 17:45

Really not a good experience you’ve described here, @AztecUK 

Until that app is up and running, you will need to have a card (or at least know the PAN number on your card) so you can top up at a PayPoint

Contact options for this:

Call: 0330 102 7517: open Monday - Friday 8am-6pm, and Saturday 9am-5pm. 

Facebook, or Twitter: open Monday - Thursday 8am-8pm, Friday 8am-6pm, Saturday-Sunday 9am-5pm. 

Please keep us updated on this, so the thread can exist to help others that follow...

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Really not a good experience you’ve described here, @AztecUK 

Until that app is up and running, you will need to have a card (or at least know the PAN number on your card) so you can top up at a PayPoint

Contact options for this:

Call: 0330 102 7517: open Monday - Friday 8am-6pm, and Saturday 9am-5pm. 

Facebook, or Twitter: open Monday - Thursday 8am-8pm, Friday 8am-6pm, Saturday-Sunday 9am-5pm. 

Please keep us updated on this, so the thread can exist to help others that follow...

Userlevel 2

Hi @Tim_Boost 

Thanks for reply! In my email I noticed I was given Top Up card number but had no idea this could be done, since I lived by myself I have always had contract, even had one of the first smart meters in 2008 which did turn into a dumb meter when that company went!! My experience of Prepay are people I know with key meters and before that I am of the generation I remember we had a 50p meter at home!!

Ok so 2nd nearest shop from me does Paypoint and I took the 16 digit code and was able to make a payment, by the time I got back from shop the meter was displaying new balance.

As for card and In house Display I been told both should arrive in two weeks and I will get a call to pair IHD to Smart Meter.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Tim_Boost 

As for card and In house Display I been told both should arrive in two weeks and I will get a call to pair IHD to Smart Meter.

I was told all ihd’s are out of stock????

Marvellous

Userlevel 2

Hi @Neil 

I received my IHD today! next tricky step is trying to contact Boost to help get it paired!!

Userlevel 2

IHD now up and running!

Userlevel 3
Badge

IHD now up and running!

I’m pleased for you…. and jealous.

I’m still waiting till they’re”in stock”...

Userlevel 4

Does the display unit fit though the letter box

Userlevel 2

Hi @Craig5201 

I would say it was just a little too big for letter box.  Mine was delivered by My Hermes so there had to be someone in.

Userlevel 4

When did you order it did you know it was on the way

Userlevel 2

@Craig5201 I was told two week lead time but arrived within a week, Boost called me to tell me it was on the way and gave me the tracking number.

Userlevel 4

I see as I been waiting for mine since end of September 

Userlevel 2

I see as I been waiting for mine since end of September 

I had my smart meter put in way before this and didn’t get IHD at the time.  I was on OVO Credit meter but due to change in circumstances I had to change.  Been on Boost just over a week and decided I really did need my IHD, I acquired a direct number to get things sorted and no sorry I cannot share the number on this forum, Very impressed took delivery of IHD after 5pm last Friday.

I was impressed Friday evening I could not get through on phone number so e-mailed them requesting a call back and I wanted to pair my IHD.  Well less than ten minutes I had a phone call back and yes Friday evening I got my IHD paired!

I got Pipit 500, it does also take 2 x AAA batteries as well as run on AC power! I know exactly where I am  and how much I am using!

I just can’t wait until SMART PAYG customers get app/website and are able to top up from home instead of having to use Paypoint.

I have to say I am happy with boost, IHD makes life a lot easier to see what you using, you can even get how many pence an hour your using, kWh and live balance! It’s working as I would expect, really like it! No more going outside to electric cupboard to check balance! Usage and cost is exactly what I expected!

Perhaps boost needed a friendly prod but have to say I am happy, hoping to get bar code sent soon as I still have to take 16 digit prepay card number to Paypoint to top up. Due to Covid they are not sending out cards sadly.

Remember the good old days when it was all OVO  ?