Question

Maximum amount of credit allowed on each account

• 9 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Could anyone tell me if there is a maximum amount of credit I can have on my account at any one time e.g Can I have a balance of £1000 on both my gas and electric>

7 replies

I would like to know this also 

Just looked it up on google looks like a £250 limit on each 

Userlevel 1

No. The £250 is the maximum daily amount you can put on in one go.  

Userlevel 1

May sound a silly question do you get interest ?

If you had been with OVO DD  they used to pay interest on credit balance which rises
every year  heard of people getting 4% .Stopped it for new customers now

I know Martin Lewis mentioned with old pre smart meters with certain companies they allow credit

against price at time  but smart meters dont

Userlevel 4
Badge

That’s correct, @ajohnson

Whilst the maximum balance allowed on each meter would depend on your exact meter type, @kazwaters81, £250 would be the maximum allowed on your key/card.

If you reach the limit of your meter’s balance the remaining credit would remain on the key/card until the next time you choose to top-up your balance and update the unit rates.

I hope this helps.

Hi

so my silly wife Topped up our electric key not realising that there is a limit on meters and can’t put credit on the meter 

is it ok that the credit is on key still and is there a limit to how long it can be on there 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @DStreet,

I’ve moved your comment over to this similar thread. Check out Jess’ comment about this here:

Whilst the maximum balance allowed on each meter would depend on your exact meter type, £250 would be the maximum allowed on your key/card.

If you reach the limit of your meter’s balance the remaining credit would remain on the key/card until the next time you choose to top-up your balance and update the unit rates.