Solved

In Home Display not connected to my meters - help

• 1 December 2020
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi my ihd is connected to my WiFi as my hub says so but keeps saying wireless connection lost on my hub and is not connected to my meters I have phoned boost and gave them the numbers off the ihd they require they said could take up 2 24 hours for them to connect it it's now been 48 hours and ideas why this will nott connect to my meters and work as it is supposed to do it's doing my head in keeping saying wireless connection lost 

Many thanks Barry 

icon

Best answer by Tim_Boost 4 December 2020, 12:42

Thanks @Bazza 

You have a S1 smart meter and a Chameleon IHD6. 

To help the Support team work out why the IHD isn’t connecting, we need you to do some checks, which you can provide to the team via email: hello@boostpower.co.uk

1. Are the Meter Serial Numbers (MSNs) correct?

We first need to make sure that the meter(s) we are dealing with are correct (mistakes can sometimes be made, meaning the wrong MSN is listed on an account).

Where can I find the serial number on a smart meter?

Electricity meter:

The MSN for an electricity smart meter can be found to the left of the keypad. It will begin with 14P, 15P, 16P, etc.

Gas meter:

The MSN for a gas smart meter can be found directly below the keypad. It will begin with G4P and end with 1400, 1500, 1600, etc.

2. Is there a WAN connection?

Check the electricity meter and confirm what the LED light labelled 'WAN' is doing.

If the light is flashing, the meter has WAN. Please check how many times the light flashes between pauses.

One flash between pauses means very low signal, five means great signal. If the light is solid, there's no WAN.

Here are a list of questions you may be asked, if your meter has no or poor WAN:

1. How strong is the mobile phone signal next to your meter?
  2. Is there anything metallic in the way of the meter which could be moved?
  3. If the meter has something metallic blocking the signal - for instance a mirror or an ironing board - then moving this may solve the problem.
  4. Is your electricity meter in a metal box (e.g a metal meter cupboard)? 
  5. Is your electricity meter in a basement, or is it partially enclosed (e.g in a closed cupboard under the stairs)?

3. Is there a HAN connection?

To check gas connectivity, we need to find out whether your gas smart meter is connected to the Home Area Network (HAN).

What is the word 'HAN' doing on the screen of the gas meter?

• Check the digital screen on the gas smart meter. The word HAN will be in the bottom corner.
  • If the word HAN is solid, the gas meter is connected to the HAN so there is no gas meter connectivity issue.

4. Are the meter(s) commissioned?

In order for either meter to be able to communicate with us, it needs a WAN connection and it needs to have been commissioned.

How do you know if the smart meter(s) have been commissioned?

• Press '0' on the meter's keypad. (This applies for both the electricity and gas.)
  • If a meter has been commissioned correctly, the meter display will begin to cycle through various screens; starting with the date and time.
  • If a meter has not been commissioned, displayed on the screen will be 'COMMISSION - YES OR NO'. (This will be abbreviated.)

Please include a link to this topic so the advisor can see this IHD screenshot!

View original

33 replies

Userlevel 2

Rec my IHD yesterday phoned boost to get it paired .

Then tried to connect with smart meter.

Unfortunately it will not connect and not showing bars on the left hand side of display

Can anyone give me any idea what's wrong or is the IHD faulty

Thankyou

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Bazza sorry to hear this!

Can you send us a picture of your electric smart meter and the IHD? The advice I have will depend on the make and model. 

Tim

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

HI @Papaandy66 if that IHD has been paired, it will be connected to the meter. Can you update us ideally with a screenshot?

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks @Bazza 

You have a S1 smart meter and a Chameleon IHD6. 

To help the Support team work out why the IHD isn’t connecting, we need you to do some checks, which you can provide to the team via email: hello@boostpower.co.uk

1. Are the Meter Serial Numbers (MSNs) correct?

We first need to make sure that the meter(s) we are dealing with are correct (mistakes can sometimes be made, meaning the wrong MSN is listed on an account).

Where can I find the serial number on a smart meter?

Electricity meter:

The MSN for an electricity smart meter can be found to the left of the keypad. It will begin with 14P, 15P, 16P, etc.

Gas meter:

The MSN for a gas smart meter can be found directly below the keypad. It will begin with G4P and end with 1400, 1500, 1600, etc.

2. Is there a WAN connection?

Check the electricity meter and confirm what the LED light labelled 'WAN' is doing.

If the light is flashing, the meter has WAN. Please check how many times the light flashes between pauses.

One flash between pauses means very low signal, five means great signal. If the light is solid, there's no WAN.

Here are a list of questions you may be asked, if your meter has no or poor WAN:

1. How strong is the mobile phone signal next to your meter?
  2. Is there anything metallic in the way of the meter which could be moved?
  3. If the meter has something metallic blocking the signal - for instance a mirror or an ironing board - then moving this may solve the problem.
  4. Is your electricity meter in a metal box (e.g a metal meter cupboard)? 
  5. Is your electricity meter in a basement, or is it partially enclosed (e.g in a closed cupboard under the stairs)?

3. Is there a HAN connection?

To check gas connectivity, we need to find out whether your gas smart meter is connected to the Home Area Network (HAN).

What is the word 'HAN' doing on the screen of the gas meter?

• Check the digital screen on the gas smart meter. The word HAN will be in the bottom corner.
  • If the word HAN is solid, the gas meter is connected to the HAN so there is no gas meter connectivity issue.

4. Are the meter(s) commissioned?

In order for either meter to be able to communicate with us, it needs a WAN connection and it needs to have been commissioned.

How do you know if the smart meter(s) have been commissioned?

• Press '0' on the meter's keypad. (This applies for both the electricity and gas.)
  • If a meter has been commissioned correctly, the meter display will begin to cycle through various screens; starting with the date and time.
  • If a meter has not been commissioned, displayed on the screen will be 'COMMISSION - YES OR NO'. (This will be abbreviated.)

Please include a link to this topic so the advisor can see this IHD screenshot!

Userlevel 2

Done all of the above and sent e.mail

Userlevel 1

I have received my IHD6 and I'm having trouble connecting it to my meters. Customer services are saying that it's been paired up to meters at their end. So what's the problem with the IHD? It also wont connect to my WIFI network?

Userlevel 1

I had this problem. Weirdly turning it off and on actually fixed it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I have heard of that workaround, @Aphy666 - thanks for sharing. 

Could you try that, @Charlotte79 and if that doesn’t work, see my earlier comments for next steps. 

Userlevel 2

Same problem here Charlotte

Sent all screenshots etc to boost email supplied Timboost on 4th of Dec no reply yet

Userlevel 2

Still no reply to email regards my problems with IHD.

This problem has been ongoing since october when I first requested a IHD.

Never rec until December.

Phoned and got it paired supposedly. 

Never paired .

Been on customer forum numerous times and tried everything your advisor said..

Then was told to contact customer services via email. Because he could not sort it.

Sent pictures of meters etc 

Still no reply..

Thank God I have not changed over to the new package..

Very Unhappy customer

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Sorry to hear this, @Papaandy66 - our email response time is 5 days currently. 

if it’s been longer please call us when you’re free: 0330 102 7517

Userlevel 2

Hi Tim 

Received phone call from one of your advisers went thru all the details regards my IHD problem.

Said it was paired again after me giving the mac address on IHD.

I asked him to give me a call back after a hour to make sure it was paired.

IT IS STILL NOT WORKING AND NEVER RECIEVED CALL BACK FROM ADVISER.

Awaiting your response

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Missed call back, :bow:  these are tricky to commit to when dealing with inbound calls, sorry @Papaandy66 

An In Home Display not pairing is so tricky to advise on here like this. It will be something on site on remote. Your best option is via support, although I know this isn’t what you want to hear after your last experience: 0330 102 7517.

Really can appreciate your frustration on that one. 

My smart meter is only recording my gas usage and the electricity information is blank and isn't showing up at all on the meter. I've tried turning off/on again and tried topping up but nothing, what can I do to get it back?

Userlevel 2

Not prepared to go through all this again as soon as you email regarding changing to new pay and go smart plus or whatever it is called.

I will be changing supplier

Thankyou

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@JessicaLL24 can you see this topic thread and perform those actions outlined in the ‘best answer’ (at the top)?

@Papaandy66 I agree that not having a working IHD makes the prospect of Smart PAYG much worse. It’s often difficult to diagnose these issues, and your new supplier will likely feel the same way. It does require actions from both ends and I’m sorry if we’ve not been able to hold up our side

Userlevel 1

Mi IHD has lost connection. Was told by customer service go give it a couple of hours to re connect and it hasnt. I cant even go into settings on the IHD to configure it my self to connect it up again as that part in the settings menu has disappeared. Is there any way of factory re setting the IHD to start over again?

Userlevel 1

Guess nobody knows, just like customer services. I'm disabled and cannot bend down into the back if my cupboards to read my meter balance, that was the whole point if getting a ind6. I have had no connection to my ihd6 since friday. I do not no my balance!!!!

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Charlie7992 - I’ve moved your posts over here as the information here should be helpful.

The best thing to do is to get in touch so we can un-pair and re-pair the In-Home Display. You can call us on 0330 102 7517 to get this sorted, or send us a message to our Facebook or Twitter pages.

Thanks,

Ed

Userlevel 1

@Ed_Boost I've phoned them 3 times and still nothing has changed. I have even tried my old ind and that isnt connecting either.

Userlevel 2

Give up I have..

Moving supplier when they change to new smart pay go plus

Userlevel 1

@Papaandy66 I have changed supplier aswell. At least my new supplier has british call centre so we can understand each other lol, instead of foreign people who cant understand what your explaining to them!!