Solved

In Home Display not connected to my meters - help

• 1 December 2020
  • 45 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi my ihd is connected to my WiFi as my hub says so but keeps saying wireless connection lost on my hub and is not connected to my meters I have phoned boost and gave them the numbers off the ihd they require they said could take up 2 24 hours for them to connect it it's now been 48 hours and ideas why this will nott connect to my meters and work as it is supposed to do it's doing my head in keeping saying wireless connection lost 

Many thanks Barry 

icon

Best answer by Tim_Boost 4 December 2020, 12:42

This info below was taken from a different topic on a similar issue:

What should happen: if you get smart meter fitted, the engineer who fits them should provide an IHD and open up the smart meter network, pairing the IHD there and then. If you’re sent an IHD, you need to call us when you’re next to your IHD, so that a Support agent can open that smart meter and work with you to get the device paired. If this hasn’t been done yet, give us a call when you can: 0330 102 7517. If you haven’t got an IHD6 yet, request one here

See this tutorial video here:

If your IHD looks like the one above, you have a Chameleon IHD6. But this info below applies to the Pipet IHD, the Chameleon IHD3 and IHD3, and for Secure Liberty S1 smart meters and the Aclara S2 smart meter.  

To help the Support team work out why the IHD isn’t connecting, we need you to do some checks, which you might need to provide to the team via email, depending on what you diagnose: hello@boostpower.co.uk

Is there a WAN and HAN connection?

Check the electricity meter and confirm what the LED light labelled 'WAN' and ‘HAN’ is doing.

If you have a Secure Liberty smart meter, and the WAN light is flashing, the meter has WAN. Please check how many times the light flashes between pauses. One flash between pauses means very low signal, five means great signal. If the light is solid, there's no WAN. The HAN light will be solid when the HAN is open - this will activated during install (when pairing the electricity meter to the gas meter and any devices) as well as when pairing an IHD or smart relay via SFE. Once this process has completed, the HAN light will turn off. So you’ll need to check the IHD directly to see if it’s connected to the HAN.

If you have a Aclara S2 smart meter, if there’s WAN and HAN coverage the WAN & HAN lights on top will flash every 5 seconds. If they are searching for signal then they will flash every 3 seconds and if there is a connectivity issue then they will flash every 1 second or not flash at all.

Here are a list of questions you may be asked, if your meter has no or poor WAN:

1. How strong is the mobile phone signal next to your meter?
  2. Is there anything metallic in the way of the meter which could be moved?
  3. If the meter has something metallic blocking the signal - for instance a mirror or an ironing board - then moving this may solve the problem.
  4. Is your electricity meter in a metal box (e.g a metal meter cupboard)? 
  5. Is your electricity meter in a basement, or is it partially enclosed (e.g in a closed cupboard under the stairs)?

If the IHD is showing missing data for one or both fuels and the meter comms are fine, you should perform the following checks.

1 - Check the distance to the electricity meter, has the IHD been moved? 

Try to keep the IHD within a max of 6 metres from the electricity meter. The signal will decline significantly with walls.

2 -  Has the IHD shown data previously or has anything changed e.g. obstructions?

If the IHD was previously showing data, check if anything has changed in the home that could have caused the loss of communication.

3 - Is the IHD showing the correct time?

If it's not showing the correct time, the IHD is not paired.

4a - IHD2 and IHD3: Check WiFi symbol - is it flashing/solid?

• No WiFi symbol & incorrect time > Needs to be paired by our Support team: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)
  • WiFi symbol flashing > Our Support team may be able to sort by unpairing and pairing the device: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)
  • WiFi symbol solid > No issue with WiFi pairing

4b - IHD6: Check the signal bars

Signal bars solid > IHD is paired.
Signal bars flashing > Needs to be paired by our Support team: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)

5 - Try turning off for several minutes before turning back on.

In Home Display FAQs:

Why is my IHD balance different from my app balance? 

The app balance gets updated once a day after midnight. If you've used energy since midnight or if you've topped up since the time your energy balance updated on your app, then your app balance will be out of date. 

If your meter isn’t communicating with us, then your balance won't update in the app. But the IHD will communicate from your meter throughout the day to stay up to date.

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS1 meter

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

A SMETS1 meter has a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it’ll just have the 2 red and blue buttons, but no keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my meter or IHD?

It’s normal for smart meters to lose signal from time to time, just like mobile phones. This means it might take longer than usual for your top-up to show up as energy credit. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to see your top-ups on your meter, but you can always add them manually too. Read on for more info. 

How do I top up my SMETS1 meters manually?

After making a payment, it takes up to 30 minutes (for electricity) and 60 minutes (for gas) for the money to show on your meter. If it doesn’t, you can give it a little push.

For this, you’ll need the 20-digit code on your PayPoint receipt. This is why it’s always best to keep your receipts safe.

• Press on your gas or electricity meter

• Enter the code from your receipt

• Tap B to confirm and it’s all done!

If you top up online or via your app, PayPoint will either email them to you or send them via text.

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on, so make sure all gas appliances are off before trying to reconnect. If the meter has disconnected, you can reconnect it by pressing AAB (SMETS1) or holding and B at the same time (SMETS2).

Why did my SMETS1 meter cut out without using emergency credit first? 

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD

When your balance drops below £5, your IHD will flash and tell you that you can activate the emergency credit. If you don’t, it’ll then flash again when your balance is below 50p:

• Navigate to the main menu

• Click on Account

• Press the  emergency credit button

(You’ll find more detailed information on what to do in your IHD booklet.)

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter:

• Press the 7 on the keypad

• You’ll see a message saying EC OFFER – tap A to accept the emergency credit or B to ignore

• Then tap B to confirm

• By pressing 7 you’ll see whether the credit has been activated – it’ll tell you EC SELECTED

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS2 meter

You can tell if you’ve got a SMETS1 meter, as it will have a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it will just have the 2 red and blue buttons, keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my SMETS2 meter or IHD?

Smart meters can stop communicating with us for a number of reasons. If your top-up hasn't appeared on your meter, follow the instructions below to add your credit manually.. 

How do I top up my SMETS2 meters manually?

There are 2 ways:

1. Using your IHD – this is the easiest and fastest way:

• Tap the menu icon at the bottom right of the screen

• Press Top-Up

• Choose the fuel you want to top up

• Press OK

• Enter your PayPoint code

• Tap OK

• The IHD will then confirm that your money has been added to your meter

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A on your meter until you see Enter Top Up Code

• Press and hold A to begin typing 

• Enter your code using the A and B buttons to navigate through the digits

• Press and hold B when complete

• The meter will show you one of these messages: Top Up accepted or Invalid

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press C on your gas meter to enter the menu

• Using and B, scroll to Prepayment and press C

• Tap A and B until you see New Payment

• Press to select it

• Use A and B to enter your code

• Tap C again

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on. If the meter has disconnected, you should be asked to press any button following a top-up to trigger a reconnection.

Why did my SMETS2 meter cut out straight away without warning? Where is my emergency credit?

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD:

If your balance drops below £5, the IHD will tell you that your emergency credit is available:

• Press the menu button

• Tap E-Credit

• Select the fuel you want emergency credit for (gas or electricity)

• Press OK

• The IHD will confirm your request

• You’ll see Emergency credit in use next to the fuel you’ve added it to

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter

For electricity:

If your balance goes below £0, your meter will say EMC available:

• Press A to cancel or B to activate it

• You should now see 2 emergency credit balances. The first is how much emergency credit you have left and the second shows how much has already been accepted

• If you select the emergency credit, you’ll see an EC sign on the display at the bottom-right corner

For gas:

• Press any button on your gas meter to wake up the screen

• If you have any emergency credit available, you’ll see an EC logo on the screen, next to the signal bar icon

• Press C to enter the menu and B to scroll to Prepayment

• Tap C to enter

• Press B to scroll down to the Emerg. Credit option, then C to enter

• If the status says Available, press C to accept the £5 emergency credit (you should hear a beep sound and the status should change to In-Use)

• You can check your emergency credit balance by going through the same menu options until you see Limit and Remaining

View original

45 replies

Userlevel 2

Rec my IHD yesterday phoned boost to get it paired .

Then tried to connect with smart meter.

Unfortunately it will not connect and not showing bars on the left hand side of display

Can anyone give me any idea what's wrong or is the IHD faulty

Thankyou

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Bazza sorry to hear this!

Can you send us a picture of your electric smart meter and the IHD? The advice I have will depend on the make and model. 

Tim

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

HI @Papaandy66 if that IHD has been paired, it will be connected to the meter. Can you update us ideally with a screenshot?

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

This info below was taken from a different topic on a similar issue:

What should happen: if you get smart meter fitted, the engineer who fits them should provide an IHD and open up the smart meter network, pairing the IHD there and then. If you’re sent an IHD, you need to call us when you’re next to your IHD, so that a Support agent can open that smart meter and work with you to get the device paired. If this hasn’t been done yet, give us a call when you can: 0330 102 7517. If you haven’t got an IHD6 yet, request one here

See this tutorial video here:

If your IHD looks like the one above, you have a Chameleon IHD6. But this info below applies to the Pipet IHD, the Chameleon IHD3 and IHD3, and for Secure Liberty S1 smart meters and the Aclara S2 smart meter.  

To help the Support team work out why the IHD isn’t connecting, we need you to do some checks, which you might need to provide to the team via email, depending on what you diagnose: hello@boostpower.co.uk

Is there a WAN and HAN connection?

Check the electricity meter and confirm what the LED light labelled 'WAN' and ‘HAN’ is doing.

If you have a Secure Liberty smart meter, and the WAN light is flashing, the meter has WAN. Please check how many times the light flashes between pauses. One flash between pauses means very low signal, five means great signal. If the light is solid, there's no WAN. The HAN light will be solid when the HAN is open - this will activated during install (when pairing the electricity meter to the gas meter and any devices) as well as when pairing an IHD or smart relay via SFE. Once this process has completed, the HAN light will turn off. So you’ll need to check the IHD directly to see if it’s connected to the HAN.

If you have a Aclara S2 smart meter, if there’s WAN and HAN coverage the WAN & HAN lights on top will flash every 5 seconds. If they are searching for signal then they will flash every 3 seconds and if there is a connectivity issue then they will flash every 1 second or not flash at all.

Here are a list of questions you may be asked, if your meter has no or poor WAN:

1. How strong is the mobile phone signal next to your meter?
  2. Is there anything metallic in the way of the meter which could be moved?
  3. If the meter has something metallic blocking the signal - for instance a mirror or an ironing board - then moving this may solve the problem.
  4. Is your electricity meter in a metal box (e.g a metal meter cupboard)? 
  5. Is your electricity meter in a basement, or is it partially enclosed (e.g in a closed cupboard under the stairs)?

If the IHD is showing missing data for one or both fuels and the meter comms are fine, you should perform the following checks.

1 - Check the distance to the electricity meter, has the IHD been moved? 

Try to keep the IHD within a max of 6 metres from the electricity meter. The signal will decline significantly with walls.

2 -  Has the IHD shown data previously or has anything changed e.g. obstructions?

If the IHD was previously showing data, check if anything has changed in the home that could have caused the loss of communication.

3 - Is the IHD showing the correct time?

If it's not showing the correct time, the IHD is not paired.

4a - IHD2 and IHD3: Check WiFi symbol - is it flashing/solid?

• No WiFi symbol & incorrect time > Needs to be paired by our Support team: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)
  • WiFi symbol flashing > Our Support team may be able to sort by unpairing and pairing the device: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)
  • WiFi symbol solid > No issue with WiFi pairing

4b - IHD6: Check the signal bars

Signal bars solid > IHD is paired.
Signal bars flashing > Needs to be paired by our Support team: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)

5 - Try turning off for several minutes before turning back on.

In Home Display FAQs:

Why is my IHD balance different from my app balance? 

The app balance gets updated once a day after midnight. If you've used energy since midnight or if you've topped up since the time your energy balance updated on your app, then your app balance will be out of date. 

If your meter isn’t communicating with us, then your balance won't update in the app. But the IHD will communicate from your meter throughout the day to stay up to date.

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS1 meter

A SMETS1 meter has a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it’ll just have the 2 red and blue buttons, but no keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my meter or IHD?

It’s normal for smart meters to lose signal from time to time, just like mobile phones. This means it might take longer than usual for your top-up to show up as energy credit. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to see your top-ups on your meter, but you can always add them manually too. Read on for more info. 

How do I top up my SMETS1 meters manually?

After making a payment, it takes up to 30 minutes (for electricity) and 60 minutes (for gas) for the money to show on your meter. If it doesn’t, you can give it a little push.

For this, you’ll need the 20-digit code on your PayPoint receipt. This is why it’s always best to keep your receipts safe.

• Press on your gas or electricity meter

• Enter the code from your receipt

• Tap B to confirm and it’s all done!

If you top up online or via your app, PayPoint will either email them to you or send them via text.

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on, so make sure all gas appliances are off before trying to reconnect. If the meter has disconnected, you can reconnect it by pressing AAB (SMETS1) or holding and B at the same time (SMETS2).

Why did my SMETS1 meter cut out without using emergency credit first? 

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD

When your balance drops below £5, your IHD will flash and tell you that you can activate the emergency credit. If you don’t, it’ll then flash again when your balance is below 50p:

• Navigate to the main menu

• Click on Account

• Press the  emergency credit button

(You’ll find more detailed information on what to do in your IHD booklet.)

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter:

• Press the 7 on the keypad

• You’ll see a message saying EC OFFER – tap A to accept the emergency credit or B to ignore

• Then tap B to confirm

• By pressing 7 you’ll see whether the credit has been activated – it’ll tell you EC SELECTED

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS2 meter

You can tell if you’ve got a SMETS1 meter, as it will have a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it will just have the 2 red and blue buttons, keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my SMETS2 meter or IHD?

Smart meters can stop communicating with us for a number of reasons. If your top-up hasn't appeared on your meter, follow the instructions below to add your credit manually.. 

How do I top up my SMETS2 meters manually?

There are 2 ways:

1. Using your IHD – this is the easiest and fastest way:

• Tap the menu icon at the bottom right of the screen

• Press Top-Up

• Choose the fuel you want to top up

• Press OK

• Enter your PayPoint code

• Tap OK

• The IHD will then confirm that your money has been added to your meter

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A on your meter until you see Enter Top Up Code

• Press and hold A to begin typing 

• Enter your code using the A and B buttons to navigate through the digits

• Press and hold B when complete

• The meter will show you one of these messages: Top Up accepted or Invalid

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press C on your gas meter to enter the menu

• Using and B, scroll to Prepayment and press C

• Tap A and B until you see New Payment

• Press to select it

• Use A and B to enter your code

• Tap C again

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on. If the meter has disconnected, you should be asked to press any button following a top-up to trigger a reconnection.

Why did my SMETS2 meter cut out straight away without warning? Where is my emergency credit?

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD:

If your balance drops below £5, the IHD will tell you that your emergency credit is available:

• Press the menu button

• Tap E-Credit

• Select the fuel you want emergency credit for (gas or electricity)

• Press OK

• The IHD will confirm your request

• You’ll see Emergency credit in use next to the fuel you’ve added it to

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter

For electricity:

If your balance goes below £0, your meter will say EMC available:

• Press A to cancel or B to activate it

• You should now see 2 emergency credit balances. The first is how much emergency credit you have left and the second shows how much has already been accepted

• If you select the emergency credit, you’ll see an EC sign on the display at the bottom-right corner

For gas:

• Press any button on your gas meter to wake up the screen

• If you have any emergency credit available, you’ll see an EC logo on the screen, next to the signal bar icon

• Press C to enter the menu and B to scroll to Prepayment

• Tap C to enter

• Press B to scroll down to the Emerg. Credit option, then C to enter

• If the status says Available, press C to accept the £5 emergency credit (you should hear a beep sound and the status should change to In-Use)

• You can check your emergency credit balance by going through the same menu options until you see Limit and Remaining

Userlevel 2

Done all of the above and sent e.mail

Userlevel 1

I have received my IHD6 and I'm having trouble connecting it to my meters. Customer services are saying that it's been paired up to meters at their end. So what's the problem with the IHD? It also wont connect to my WIFI network?

Userlevel 1

I had this problem. Weirdly turning it off and on actually fixed it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I have heard of that workaround, @Aphy666 - thanks for sharing. 

Could you try that, @Charlotte79 and if that doesn’t work, see my earlier comments for next steps. 

Userlevel 2

Same problem here Charlotte

Sent all screenshots etc to boost email supplied Timboost on 4th of Dec no reply yet

Userlevel 2

Still no reply to email regards my problems with IHD.

This problem has been ongoing since october when I first requested a IHD.

Never rec until December.

Phoned and got it paired supposedly. 

Never paired .

Been on customer forum numerous times and tried everything your advisor said..

Then was told to contact customer services via email. Because he could not sort it.

Sent pictures of meters etc 

Still no reply..

Thank God I have not changed over to the new package..

Very Unhappy customer

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Sorry to hear this, @Papaandy66 - our email response time is 5 days currently. 

if it’s been longer please call us when you’re free: 0330 102 7517

Userlevel 2

Hi Tim 

Received phone call from one of your advisers went thru all the details regards my IHD problem.

Said it was paired again after me giving the mac address on IHD.

I asked him to give me a call back after a hour to make sure it was paired.

IT IS STILL NOT WORKING AND NEVER RECIEVED CALL BACK FROM ADVISER.

Awaiting your response

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Missed call back, :bow:  these are tricky to commit to when dealing with inbound calls, sorry @Papaandy66 

An In Home Display not pairing is so tricky to advise on here like this. It will be something on site on remote. Your best option is via support, although I know this isn’t what you want to hear after your last experience: 0330 102 7517.

Really can appreciate your frustration on that one. 

My smart meter is only recording my gas usage and the electricity information is blank and isn't showing up at all on the meter. I've tried turning off/on again and tried topping up but nothing, what can I do to get it back?

Userlevel 2

Not prepared to go through all this again as soon as you email regarding changing to new pay and go smart plus or whatever it is called.

I will be changing supplier

Thankyou

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@JessicaLL24 can you see this topic thread and perform those actions outlined in the ‘best answer’ (at the top)?

@Papaandy66 I agree that not having a working IHD makes the prospect of Smart PAYG much worse. It’s often difficult to diagnose these issues, and your new supplier will likely feel the same way. It does require actions from both ends and I’m sorry if we’ve not been able to hold up our side

Userlevel 1

Mi IHD has lost connection. Was told by customer service go give it a couple of hours to re connect and it hasnt. I cant even go into settings on the IHD to configure it my self to connect it up again as that part in the settings menu has disappeared. Is there any way of factory re setting the IHD to start over again?

Userlevel 1

Guess nobody knows, just like customer services. I'm disabled and cannot bend down into the back if my cupboards to read my meter balance, that was the whole point if getting a ind6. I have had no connection to my ihd6 since friday. I do not no my balance!!!!

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Charlie7992 - I’ve moved your posts over here as the information here should be helpful.

The best thing to do is to get in touch so we can un-pair and re-pair the In-Home Display. You can call us on 0330 102 7517 to get this sorted, or send us a message to our Facebook or Twitter pages.

Thanks,

Ed

Userlevel 1

@Ed_Boost I've phoned them 3 times and still nothing has changed. I have even tried my old ind and that isnt connecting either.

Userlevel 2

Give up I have..

Moving supplier when they change to new smart pay go plus

Userlevel 1

@Papaandy66 I have changed supplier aswell. At least my new supplier has british call centre so we can understand each other lol, instead of foreign people who cant understand what your explaining to them!!