Question

In Home Display (IHD) won't connect to Secure S1 smart meter: 'Pair CAD to account - waiting' ?

• 26 April 2021
  • 1 reply

My ihd won't seem to pair to my metres what should I do, it's been stuck this way for over a week, clearly a problem some where, so i keep losing power as I don't know when it will run out, I have a baby can't keep running out of power, please help, photos below.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Claire3206 and thanks for sharing this. 

I’ve taken some info from another topic on a similar issue. 

If you get smart meter fitted, the engineer who fits them should provide an IHD and open up the smart meter network, pairing the IHD there and then. If you’re sent an IHD, you need to call us when you’re next to your IHD, so that a Support agent can open that smart meter and work with you to get the device paired. If this hasn’t been done yet, give us a call when you can: 0330 102 7517. 

See this tutorial video here:

If you’ve already spoken to our Support team to try and get this paired, and it just won’t connect, we’ll need to know why. To help the Support team work out why the IHD isn’t connecting, we need you to do some checks, which you can provide to the team via email: hello@boostpower.co.uk

1. Are the Meter Serial Numbers (MSNs) correct?

We first need to make sure that the meter(s) we are dealing with are correct (mistakes can sometimes be made, meaning the wrong MSN is listed on an account).

Where can I find the serial number on a smart meter?

Electricity meter:

The MSN for an electricity smart meter can be found to the left of the keypad. It will begin with 14P, 15P, 16P, etc.

Gas meter:

The MSN for a gas smart meter can be found directly below the keypad. It will begin with G4P and end with 1400, 1500, 1600, etc.

2. Is there a WAN connection?

Check the electricity meter and confirm what the LED light labelled 'WAN' is doing.

If the light is flashing, the meter has WAN. Please check how many times the light flashes between pauses.

One flash between pauses means very low signal, five means great signal. If the light is solid, there's no WAN.

Here are a list of questions you may be asked, if your meter has no or poor WAN:

1. How strong is the mobile phone signal next to your meter?
  2. Is there anything metallic in the way of the meter which could be moved?
  3. If the meter has something metallic blocking the signal - for instance a mirror or an ironing board - then moving this may solve the problem.
  4. Is your electricity meter in a metal box (e.g a metal meter cupboard)? 
  5. Is your electricity meter in a basement, or is it partially enclosed (e.g in a closed cupboard under the stairs)?

3. Is there a HAN connection?

To check gas connectivity, we need to find out whether your gas smart meter is connected to the Home Area Network (HAN).

What is the word 'HAN' doing on the screen of the gas meter?

• Check the digital screen on the gas smart meter. The word HAN will be in the bottom corner.
  • If the word HAN is solid, the gas meter is connected to the HAN so there is no gas meter connectivity issue.

4. Are the meter(s) commissioned?

In order for either meter to be able to communicate with us, it needs a WAN connection and it needs to have been commissioned.

How do you know if the smart meter(s) have been commissioned?

• Press '0' on the meter's keypad. (This applies for both the electricity and gas.)
  • If a meter has been commissioned correctly, the meter display will begin to cycle through various screens; starting with the date and time.
  • If a meter has not been commissioned, displayed on the screen will be 'COMMISSION - YES OR NO'. (This will be abbreviated.)

Please include a link to this topic so the advisor can see this IHD screenshot!