Solved

IHD and SMETS1 Meter showing wrong standing charge / unit cost

Userlevel 4

My Pipet 500 and SMETS1 has been showing this unit rate since I got boost installed which must be near 2 years ago now, even if I reboot smart display or check unit on smart meter it appears same, I would say too cheap! what is going on?

Notice it still shows OVO in attached pictures too.

icon

Best answer by AztecUK 1 April 2022, 15:38

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Great question this, @AztecUK!

I suspect the tariff information loaded onto that In Home Display might not match what’s on your meters… or perhaps we’re not even able to communicate with the meter itself. Please check this here:

After that, I’d recommend getting in contact with our Support team, who will be able to request a tariff update ‘command’ is sent to the meters to make sure the tariff info is up to date. 

Userlevel 4

Hi Tim

Smart Meter showing the same as far as communication goes it’s always been good! Top up shows within 5 minutues and balance updates in app every day so I suspect I need an update to be sent… Tempted not to bother if I am paying less lol!! I seem to be on pre-october 2021 rates…

I can see me on phone for hours to tell boost, Your not charging me enough!!!

I probably not the only one but one of the few who notices it!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Is your In Home Display showing the balance changes following a top up as well, @AztecUK?

Does the balance on the meter match the balance showing on the IHD?

Userlevel 4

Hi Tim

Yes all balances are the same! After top also find on IHD and Smart Meter

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for confirming, @AztecUK

There’s one more thing I’d like to check, and I realise now it would’ve been much better to post all of these in one go! I had some advice from a colleague and apparently the IHD can show the wrong rates even if it’s connected to a communicating smart meter. Please check the unit rates and standing charges on the actual meters. I’m not sure if you have a Secure (SMETS1) or Aclara/Flonidan (SMETS2) smart meter, so I’ll show you how to check this for both:

Secure: What do the buttons on the meter keypad do?

1 - Displays cost of consumption and units used on the current day and previous day
2 - Displays cost of consumption in the current week and previous week
3 - Displays cost of consumption in the current month and previous month
4 - Displays historical data comprising monthly units consumed and cost of consumption
- Displays ‘Not Used’
- Displays tariff name, standing charge per day, active rate register(s) along with the consumption and cost per unit recorded in each rate register (Will provide Economy 7 readings: IMP R01 is the night read, and IMP R02 is the day read)
7 - Displays ‘Not Used’
8 - Displays ‘Not Used’
9 - Displays total import and export register values (will provide a total reading after IMP KWH)
0 - Performs display check and then displays date, time, load and CO2 data of the current hour and current day, yesterday, last week and last month (will show 'COMMISSION' instead if meter needs to be commissioned)

- Used for prepayment customers - Switches the display to UTRN(vend) entry mode; serves as backspace key during UTRN(vend) entry; enables Emergency Credit when made available; initiates supply reconnection from ‘READY' state. (Activates vend mode/Used to start reconnection process.)
B - Activates auto scroll display from sleep mode; used to scroll back through a display sequence; initiates UTRN(vend) authentication process; mutes alarm; used to confirm supply reconnection from ‘READY’ state.

Aclara/Flonidan: What do the buttons on the meter keypad do?

Electricity - There’s 2 buttons on an electricity meter. Pressing ‘B’ will cycle through all the menus on the meter screen and pressing ‘A’ will cycle through all the sub menus. To take an electricity reading, press ‘A’ three times - ‘TOU rate 1’ will be the electricity reading. For Economy 7 members, pressing ‘A’ a fourth time will show the second reading labelled ‘TOU rate 2’.

Gas - Gas meters have ‘A’, ‘B’ and ‘C’. Pressing ‘C’ will give you the menu, the ‘A’ and ‘B’ buttons allow you to scroll through the options. When you wake up the meter it should automatically default to the reading screen. The only other screens which will display useful info are:
Screen 1 - readings, active tariff price, standing charge, export reads, meter mode
Screen 2 - date, time, MPAN, 
Screen 6 - Meter Signal strength 

Userlevel 4

Hi @Tim_Boost 

I have just gone outside and had a good look yes it’s SMETS1

I can confirm that the Smart Meter itself is ALSO reporting pre October 2021 rates! Identical to what Pipet 500 reports. So looks like an update command does need to be sent.

Communication is fine as app shows updated correct balance everyday.

No hurry to fix lol… but how many other meters are doing this I wonder?

Userlevel 4

Hi @Tim_Boost 

Just to confirm did a top this morning via app and within 2 minutes it was showing on IHD, double checked SMETS1 balance is identical and yes pre october rates are showing still.

I will contact Boost and ask for an update to be sent, makes sense to do this Friday 1st if it has NOT updated by then.

AztecUK

Userlevel 4

Hi @Tim_Boost 

I can now confirm that EVERYTHING the Pipet 500 is showing is being read and updated from the meter.  I went to Smart Meter and used all buttons from 1-9, various things like history, usage etc… ALL of which including Pre-October rates are showing on Smart Meter.

So Communication between IHD and Smart Meter is 100% fine, updates every minute I think and sooner than that when using IHD, yes the Pipet 500 looks OLD compared to those nice flashy ones BUT it does it’s job! Also has bonus of batteries incase of power cut…. oh yeah!! it’s actually for being able to walk around house and test different appliances for usage.

Conclusion here I think would be an update needs to be sent, would you agree?

AztecUK

Userlevel 4
Badge

I can now confirm that EVERYTHING the Pipet 500 is showing is being read and updated from the meter.  I went to Smart Meter and used all buttons from 1-9, various things like history, usage etc… ALL of which including Pre-October rates are showing on Smart Meter.

Sounds like the IHD is fully connected to your meter then, @AztecUK.

I’m a bit confused as to why the rates on your meter aren’t up-to date though. These should automatically change anytime there’s a Variable Price change, as long as the smart meter is in communication with us. If there’s still no change to these rates tomorrow it might be worth carrying out a smart meter health check and getting in touch with the Support Team.

Hope this helps get things up-to date!

Userlevel 4

Hi @Jess_Boost 

Well the rates did change and update…. BUT they updated to prices I should of had last October, yes I know I don’t believe it, so please see photos and compare to original photo in earlier post! You will see exactly what I mean, please look at times and dates on Pipet too.Yes also confirmed on Smart Meter itself!

Userlevel 4

Hi @Jess_Boost@Tim_Boost 

Just checked again… Good news it updated finally, correctly!

Bad News! Ouch!

Userlevel 4

I do notice difference with increase, got to say the Pipet 500 is really good! it looks old compared to new IHDs out there BUT works and does it’s job, I can turn on a DAB radio and see difference in watts, I like the pence per hour display!

I just topped up and less than 2 minutes the Pipet 500 shows new balance! Boost can get it working! for those people I see on forum the only way I did get it working was by contacting OFGEM

My friend confirmed he is paying same rate with different energy supplier! Give Boost a chance, just used App to top up and no kidding less than 2 minutes my IHD showed it! I live in far south west no main line Gas.  Cooker and heating, all electric only!

I got SMETS1 smart meter (outside box) and Pipet 500 IHD. I like playing GTA V, that does cost 13p an hour! I used to leave bathroom light on, I don’t anymore!

I had bumpy start with Boost but I nagged them! involved OFGEM now happy customer, this message is being written on PC powered by Boost!

Very accurate system I can see usuage in Watts, 248 watts right now.

Userlevel 4

@Tim_Boost@Jess_Boost 

I am saving money and energy I love my SMETS1 and Pipet 500. Accuracy is amazing! 249 watts right now! 7p an hour lol.