Solved

I've topped up but the money isn't showing on my balance - why?

Userlevel 3
Badge

a23d355c-43c4-4933-a2bf-15caa7659dc7.png

I topped up last night and it’s come out of my bank, but my balance is still in the emergency. Will I still get cut off?

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 14 May 2018, 14:29

View original

64 replies

It’s no longer in my pending account, took just over a week to come back to me but I still can’t top up online 

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’m so sorry to hear of the difficulty you’ve both had topping up via the app recently, @Kaylee and @Jessabby.

Just to check, have you tried following the steps to add your top-up to the meter manually?

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS1 meter

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

A SMETS1 meter has a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it’ll just have the 2 red and blue buttons, but no keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my meter or IHD?

It’s normal for smart meters to lose signal from time to time, just like mobile phones. This means it might take longer than usual for your top-up to show up as energy credit. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to see your top-ups on your meter, but you can always add them manually too. Read on for more info. 

How do I top up my SMETS1 meters manually?

After making a payment, it takes up to 30 minutes (for electricity) and 60 minutes (for gas) for the money to show on your meter. If it doesn’t, you can give it a little push.

For this, you’ll need the 20-digit code on your PayPoint receipt. This is why it’s always best to keep your receipts safe.

• Press on your gas or electricity meter

• Enter the code from your receipt

• Tap B to confirm and it’s all done!

If you top up online or via your app, PayPoint will either email them to you or send them via text.

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on, so make sure all gas appliances are off before trying to reconnect. If the meter has disconnected, you can reconnect it by pressing AAB (SMETS1) or holding and B at the same time (SMETS2).

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS2 meter

You can tell if you’ve got a SMETS1 meter, as it will have a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it will just have the 2 red and blue buttons, keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my SMETS2 meter or IHD?

Smart meters can stop communicating with us for a number of reasons. If your top-up hasn't appeared on your meter, follow the instructions below to add your credit manually.. 

How do I top up my SMETS2 meters manually?

There are 2 ways:

1. Using your IHD – this is the easiest and fastest way:

• Tap the menu icon at the bottom right of the screen

• Press Top-Up

• Choose the fuel you want to top up

• Press OK

• Enter your PayPoint code

• Tap OK

• The IHD will then confirm that your money has been added to your meter

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A on your meter until you see Enter Top Up Code

• Press and hold A to begin typing 

• Enter your code using the A and B buttons to navigate through the digits

• Press and hold B when complete

• The meter will show you one of these messages: Top Up accepted or Invalid

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press C on your gas meter to enter the menu

• Using and B, scroll to Prepayment and press C

• Tap A and B until you see New Payment

• Press to select it

• Use A and B to enter your code

• Tap C again

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on. If the meter has disconnected, you should be asked to press any button following a top-up to trigger a reconnection.

As you mention this has been happening for a number of weeks, I’m wondering if it might be down to a communication issue with your meter. We’ve got more advice in how to check this in the guides below.

If the top-up issues continue and the communication seems to be the suspect our Support Team should be able to raise this to our Smart metering team for further investigation. 

I hope this helps get things sorted.

No it's because for some bizarre reason boost decided to issue me new payment account for topping up without telling me...but that was when my first 2 payments came back failed £70.00 showing pending on my bank..thought I had it sorted out when I received new payment account numbers for topping up..to top up again and for this to be come back has a failed payment because this time I was issued with wrong payment account numbers from boost...so now I have £80.00 pending on my bank account and a wait of god knows how long to see if its going to go back into my bank account!! Like I have that much spare cash..

I’m so sorry to hear of the difficulty you’ve both had topping up via the app recently, @Kaylee and @Jessabby.

Just to check, have you tried following the steps to add your top-up to the meter manually?

A SMETS1 meter has a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it’ll just have the 2 red and blue buttons, but no keypad. 

It’s normal for smart meters to lose signal from time to time, just like mobile phones. This means it might take longer than usual for your top-up to show up as energy credit. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to see your top-ups on your meter, but you can always add them manually too. Read on for more info. 

After making a payment, it takes up to 30 minutes (for electricity) and 60 minutes (for gas) for the money to show on your meter. If it doesn’t, you can give it a little push.

For this, you’ll need the 20-digit code on your PayPoint receipt. This is why it’s always best to keep your receipts safe.

If you top up online or via your app, PayPoint will either email them to you or send them via text.

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on, so make sure all gas appliances are off before trying to reconnect. If the meter has disconnected, you can reconnect it by pressing AAB (SMETS1) or holding and B at the same time (SMETS2).

You can tell if you’ve got a SMETS1 meter, as it will have a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it will just have the 2 red and blue buttons, keypad. 

Smart meters can stop communicating with us for a number of reasons. If your top-up hasn't appeared on your meter, follow the instructions below to add your credit manually.. 

There are 2 ways:

• Press Top-Up

• Press OK

• Tap OK

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press to select it

• Tap C again

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on. If the meter has disconnected, you should be asked to press any button following a top-up to trigger a reconnection.

As you mention this has been happening for a number of weeks, I’m wondering if it might be down to a communication issue with your meter. We’ve got more advice in how to check this in the guides below.

If the top-up issues continue and the communication seems to be the suspect our Support Team should be able to raise this to our Smart metering team for further investigation. 

I have tried topping up via app, online and even in store today and over the phone, all had issues 

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’m so sorry to hear about the payment number mix-up there, @Jessabby. Usually these cards would only be re-issued if there’s been a change of tenancy or the old cards are faulty so it’s strange that these were changed without your knowledge.

Have you been back in touch with the Support Team to report the latest pending payment? If the payment numbers are correct there could be communication issues which are now affecting your top-ups so it may be worth double-checking this with the team.

Sounds like smart meter communication could be the issue for you too, @Kaylee, as this would affect the top-ups made either online or via a Paypoint. In this case you should be able to enter the top-up code which is printed on you Paypoint receipt on to the meter by following the directions above.

Whilst smart meters can temporarily lose signal (much like a mobile phone) if these issues continue more than a couple of weeks, we’d recommend getting in touch with the Support Team. They can run through some checks and may need to schedule in an engineer’s visit if needed.

I hope this information is helpful.

But I don’t have a top up code as it won’t let me top up, just always says there was a problem with my payment, I’ve tried 3 different cards. 

On my side it’s more the payment for top up won’t go through at all just showing error message.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you’ve had topping up via the app, @Tonka3434.

As your issue is slightly different to the recent balance bug we’ve seen, I’ve moved it over to a different thread. This best answer above gives some great advice on how else you might be able to top-up by manually entering your top-up code (which is printed on the receipt when topping up via a Paypoint) on the meter keypad:

There are 2 ways:

• Press Top-Up

• Press OK

• Tap OK

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press to select it

• Tap C again

Hopefully this will be a temporary blip, but if you do notice it continuing the next time you top-up it might be down to a communication issue with your meter. We’ve got more advice in how to check this in the guides below.

Userlevel 4
Badge

But I don’t have a top up code as it won’t let me top up, just always says there was a problem with my payment, I’ve tried 3 different cards. 

Have you tried topping-up via a Paypoint yet, @Kaylee?

If payments are also failing here it could be an issue with your payment card numbers, which our Support Team can check and update if needed.

Hope this helps.

Tried to top up again Saturday morning and still having the same problem..omg boost this is a disgrace!!

At 10am I'm supposed to be at a medical appointment with my daughter, if we go to appointment then when I get back home we won't have any gas,  I've already used up my emergency credit..

I am sick to death of this now boost..my topping up via online by app has not worked now for a while because like I've said in the past I've had my boost topping up account changed without anyone informing me 3 times...I've not had a change of anything on my side…

I need a power supply at all times..not for me but for my daughter..we need it for medical reasons..yes we are on your priority list?? No idea what this is about though because it makes no difference to boost you will still cut our power supply at 10am regardless of why a power supply is needed or that I keep trying to have these issues sorted out but boost just won't listen!!

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’m so sorry to hear of the continued issues you’ve had topping up, @Jessabby.

As mentioned in the Best Answer above these issues could be due to communication problems with your meters, particularly if they’ve been ongoing for several weeks.

I’m hoping you’ve already managed to speak to the Support Team or followed the directions above to top-up manually to get back on supply.

As you mention a medical dependency on your supply we’d recommend speaking to the team about a change to Pay Monthly. This would ensure an uninterrupted supply of energy and is advised if there’s any vulnerabilities which may be affected if you’re not able to complete a top-up.

I hope this information is helpful.  

Apparently had wrong account numbers for topping up again  🥱!!

I've put £10 4th June £10.00 6th June and while whoever I spoke with yesterday I put £25.00 on my gas meter..then when I told this woman I had 44.00 of credit on meter she decided to take 20.00 of credit off my meter..I told her I was recording this call and she put the phone down on me...wow well done boost..  oh I also put £25.00 on electricity meter..I already had £15.00 should equal £40.00 but whoever I spoke with yesterday was huffing and puffing and tutting because I wasn't very quick at tapping in 19 digits on my meters told me that this will take a long time to reach my electricity meter??????   

Confused by what the hell this woman was talking about...she refused point blank to put me through to someone else...and she wanted to see proof of what happened when I had been trying to top up the previous times!!

Has if I want to spend hours on the phone chatting to an employee of boost...omg its getting worse..I just want to be able to put money on my meters without the dreaded stress of spending hours on the phone to boost operators.

I've done everything I've been asked to do over the past few weeks..and still I have this problem..I'm not qualified in anything to do with smart meters nor should I need to be....my job is to make sure I have enough money on my meters to not be off supply.  However that said I believe this to be upto boost to make sure that your meters are working correctly to make sure that I am able to top my meters when I want and by how much I want.

25.00 for electricity been taking from bank. Still nothing on my electricity.

Omg why is this still going on?

Userlevel 4
Badge

Have you been in touch with the Support Team yet, @Jessabby?

As mentioned above, there may be intermittent signal issues with your smart meters, so we’d recommend speaking to the team. By completing a ‘smart meter health check’ over the phone, we should be able to work out the next steps to get things sorted.

I hope this helps.