Solved

I've topped up but the money isn't showing on my balance - why?

Userlevel 3
Badge

a23d355c-43c4-4933-a2bf-15caa7659dc7.png

I topped up last night and it’s come out of my bank, but my balance is still in the emergency. Will I still get cut off?

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 14 May 2018, 14:29

View original

59 replies

I’ve topped up multiple times now and the payment show on my app . However they are not showing on my meter. Any help would be greatly appreciated 

thank you !! 

Userlevel 2

So I use on avg £5 gas a month, but the red alert comes on under £10.

I put £25 into electricity and it updated immiediately.

I added £15 to my gas and the payment failed. I waited an hour and tried again, it failed again.

Waited 20 mins, Added £10.. that payment was accepted, I verfied it on the payment charge history, the money was taken, so I added a further £10.  That was also accepted.  On the payment history it shows a single £15 payment as failed to be taken.  Not the second.. Why? Then it shows the two payments for £10.  Whilst I can see both payments in the history.. and verify both taken from bank. Neither have credited to my meter. Why? Why do gas payments take so long to update? Does your online payment system not like £15 payments? I’ve made £25 payments and had no issues.  Is there an issue with your online gas payments system? Maybe we need to know.. if there is.  It’s getting cold here.. don’t want to run out of heating now.

It took about 15 minutes for both of the £10 payments to finally register on the meter.

It also now shows both failed payments of £15.00.  Is there an issue with making £15 payments to the gas?

So why.. does it take so long? What is the cause of the delay?

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @simpsonserena and @Mart,

Sorry to hear of the difficulties you’ve both faced when attempting to top-up your balance via the Boost App. I’ve moved both your comments over to this related topic as there’s some helpful advice above as to what might be causing these failed or delayed payments:

Why isn’t my top up showing on my meter or IHD?

It’s normal for smart meters to lose signal from time to time, just like mobile phones. This means it might take longer than usual for your top-up to show up as energy credit. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to see your top-ups on your meter, but you can always add them manually too. Read on for more info. 

As you’ve both mentioned making payments that failed to reach the balance on your meters (we’d usually expect this to happen within an hour) it’s worth following these steps to add the top-ups manually:

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

A SMETS1 meter has a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it’ll just have the 2 red and blue buttons, but no keypad. 

How do I top up my SMETS1 meters manually?

After making a payment, it takes up to 30 minutes (for electricity) and 60 minutes (for gas) for the money to show on your meter. If it doesn’t, you can give it a little push.

For this, you’ll need the 20-digit code on your PayPoint receipt. This is why it’s always best to keep your receipts safe.

• Press on your gas or electricity meter

• Enter the code from your receipt

• Tap B to confirm and it’s all done!

If you top up online or via your app, PayPoint will either email them to you or send them via text.

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on, so make sure all gas appliances are off before trying to reconnect. If the meter has disconnected, you can reconnect it by pressing AAB (SMETS1) or holding and B at the same time (SMETS2).

How do I top up my SMETS2 meters manually?

There are 2 ways:

1. Using your IHD – this is the easiest and fastest way:

• Tap the menu icon at the bottom right of the screen

• Press Top-Up

• Choose the fuel you want to top up

• Press OK

• Enter your PayPoint code

• Tap OK

• The IHD will then confirm that your money has been added to your meter

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A on your meter until you see Enter Top Up Code

• Press and hold A to begin typing 

• Enter your code using the A and B buttons to navigate through the digits

• Press and hold B when complete

• The meter will show you one of these messages: Top Up accepted or Invalid

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press C on your gas meter to enter the menu

• Using and B, scroll to Prepayment and press C

• Tap A and B until you see New Payment

• Press to select it

• Use A and B to enter your code

• Tap C again

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on. If the meter has disconnected, you should be asked to press any button following a top-up to trigger a reconnection.

If you notice failed or delayed payments regularly there may be some communication issues with your meters. We’d advise you to contact our Support Team who’ll be able to carry out further investigations to get things back on track. The quickest way to reach the team is via our webchat which you can access by clicking the yellow speech bubble on our Homepage.

I hope this helps get things sorted! 

Hi iv purchased some electric today but hasn't gone on my metre I have the receipt here

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Samuelm and welcome to the Boost forum!

Sorry to hear that your latest top-up hasn’t managed to find it’s way to your meter. I’ve moved your thread over to this similar topic as there’s some really helpful advice above on adding the top-up to your meter manually:

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS1 meter

A SMETS1 meter has a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it’ll just have the 2 red and blue buttons, but no keypad. 

It’s normal for smart meters to lose signal from time to time, just like mobile phones. This means it might take longer than usual for your top-up to show up as energy credit. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to see your top-ups on your meter, but you can always add them manually too. Read on for more info. 

After making a payment, it takes up to 30 minutes (for electricity) and 60 minutes (for gas) for the money to show on your meter. If it doesn’t, you can give it a little push.

For this, you’ll need the 20-digit code on your PayPoint receipt. This is why it’s always best to keep your receipts safe.

If you top up online or via your app, PayPoint will either email them to you or send them via text.

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on, so make sure all gas appliances are off before trying to reconnect. If the meter has disconnected, you can reconnect it by pressing AAB (SMETS1) or holding and B at the same time (SMETS2).

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS2 meter

You can tell if you’ve got a SMETS1 meter, as it will have a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it will just have the 2 red and blue buttons, keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my SMETS2 meter or IHD?

Smart meters can stop communicating with us for a number of reasons. If your top-up hasn't appeared on your meter, follow the instructions below to add your credit manually.. 

There are 2 ways:

• Press Top-Up

• Press OK

• Tap OK

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press to select it

• Tap C again

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on. If the meter has disconnected, you should be asked to press any button following a top-up to trigger a reconnection.

Hope this helps get your balance topped-up today. If you notice any continued issues with your balance or top-ups this could indicate a communication issue with your smart meters. You can help check this by carrying out a smart meter health check which we’ve covered in the great guides below:

Our Support Team can help run through these checks if you need any extra help, if there are any issues identified these can be escalated to our smart meter team for further investigation or an engineer’s revisit booked if things can’t be fixed remotely. The quickest way to reach the team is via our webchat which you can access by clicking the yellow speech bubble on our Homepage.

Let us know if this gets things sorted - We’re always on hand to offer advice here where we can. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 1

I managed to pay the electrics and the gas through the app. But it wouldn't credit it on the home display nor the app.

I always recieve both texts as a receipt of payment and the top up code is actually on the messages.

I inserted the top up code respectively to gas and then the other payment code to electricity. It took a while for the credit to show up on the display and for the gas a message on the display pop up and said to press B on the gas meter to speed up the process.

After a while it worked, it's the second time it happens (I top up monthly).

The credit on the app is not accurate for 2 months. I hope you fix this specially with lock downs in sight and the hard winter. I have managed to top it up without going to the shop but if it gets to that it will be a nightmare.

Kind regards,

Filipa

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’m sorry to hear about the difficulty you’ve had when topping up using the Boost app, @Filly.

I’ve moved your post as this sounds like a separate issue to the technical issues we’ve been reporting with the Boost App this week. If you’re able to access the app and make a top-up sounds like the app is functioning as it should. I’ve moved your comment over to this more relevant thread as there’s some advice above that might help explain why your top-ups haven’t been updating on your balance:

Smart meters can stop communicating with us for a number of reasons. If your top-up hasn't appeared on your meter, follow the instructions below to add your credit manually.. 

There are 2 ways:

• Press Top-Up

• Press OK

• Tap OK

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press to select it

• Tap C again

If these top-up balance issues continue, it could indicate a communication issue between us and your smart meters. There are some checks you can carry out on the meters themselves which can help us identify if this is the case:

Our Support Team can help you complete these checks and advise on the next steps if there are any ongoing communication issues found. The quickest way to reach the team is via our live chat which you can access by clicking the yellow speech bubble on our Homepage.

I hope this information helps get things sorted and you’re able to continue topping up easily during the upcoming winter. 

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I had topped up a few days ago and was planning to put on emergency credit today as it was available. However, I had forgot to put it on before 10:10am and so it cut out.

I tried to top up via the app and in the store and it declines. Money has been taken from the failed payment attempts on the app. This suggests something is wrong. I usually have no issues topping up via the app.

Is there an issue with Boost right now?

Userlevel 4
Badge

Sorry to hear of the trouble you’ve had topping your balance up, @SpundOfRage

We’ve not had any known app issues reported this week and as you mention also attempting these top-ups in person at your local Paypoint, I suspect this might be a communication issue with your smart meter which is often the cause of failed top-ups. 

I’ve moved your comment over to this related thread as there’s some advice above which should help you get your top-up added manually:

There are 2 ways:

• Press Top-Up

• Press OK

• Tap OK

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press to select it

• Tap C again

Hope this helps get you back in credit and on-supply!

If you’re having difficulty following the steps above or notice continued issues with your top-ups failing or balance not updating it’s best to raise this to our Support Team who can help investigate any ongoing smart meter communication issues. The quickest way to reach the team is via Webchat which you can find here:slight_smile:

Sir/ madam

Re -Issues relating back to October 202,  first noticed difficulties when updating payments via the boost app were not being credited to the app but were being debited from my bank account. Spoke with boost call handlers and resolution team several times between October and January to date. Boost have guided me through re setting the meter just under a dozen times each time resulting in the same message “rejected” displayed on the meter. I have continued to contact Boost endlessly via web chat and telephone in an attempt to get issues resolved. Despite advising that putting codes into the meter does not resolve the problem I cannot get Boost to accept that resetting codes are the answer. I have spoken to the resolution team 4 times  today having been told by the resolution team that they were closing my case even though they were unable to resolve the issue. This was after them telling me that they were going to send an engineer and then in the same phone call stated that they were now not going to send an engineer and to follow guidance on an email which I have already done. I had previously been advised to run my meter down to below one pound and to call Boost at this point as only then could they respond an engineer, this I did today and still denied an engineers visit, this resulted in me having no gas to heat my home resulting in affecting my health as I suffer with COPD. There never appears to be any acknowledgement of any record of my conversation and each time I go through the same frustrating process. 
I have been cut off my phone call several times and told today that there was no resolution team in today only to be called back by the resolution team who were unable to resolve problem and advised that they would contact the complaints department and whilst I do indeed want to make a complaint foremost I need the issue resolving. 

The main issue being that the amount being credited to my account does not reflect the amount that I am putting on to the meter each and every week and I am totally unable to view accurate real time meter usage or balance to enable me to know whether I can eat or heat my home on any given day. I have been given several account numbers and told to top up via Boosts web page address following the issues as I had previously been topping up via the app, so now I have account numbers that may or may not have balance attached to it. 

As a single occupant with health conditions in this current climate it is vital that I can see what I am using and my accurate balance and I struggle to see why boost is unable or unwilling to assist me. I constantly say to Boost that all I need is someone to help me resolve the issue however after the multitude of calls today and the frustration of a system designed to keep me going around in circles since October 2021 I feel that I have now run out of options and chances for Boost to resolve the issue and have no other option but to refer to yourself the energy ombudsman.

Hi, new member looking for some help. A few months ago the battery on my gas meter died, after a few days wait Boost sent someone to replace it but also informed me I need to make a smart meter installation appointment, there was no questioning me about it the appointment was made and I felt I had no say in it. 

Since the smart meter has been installed, around 2 months now, everything to do with my the gas meter/heating etc. Has become an absolute nightmare.

Firstly, Boost’s app doesn’t work. It doesn’t update your payment amount, it says complete different readings on the gas meter, the smart meter and the app. Every payment I make on the app doesn’t go on my gas and I have to ring up and be credited. 

I have never found the customer service helpful. They feel misinformed and separate from the whole process as the call centre is based on a different continent. I have emailed for help. I’ve sent complaints with no answer. I’m at the end of my tether as I’ve had maybe a weeks worth of heating over 2 months and Boost are in no rush to support, or offer guidance or advice, or just have someone come out and look at the meter. 

I’m desperately trying to leave Boost but in the mean time I wonder if anyone else has had to put up with this or something similar? I have contacted the ombudsman but having never done this am unsure whether this will help also? 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Jrich8684 and @Juanz,

Sorry to hear you’ve both been having difficulties with the top-ups you’ve been making not reaching the balance on your smart meters. I’ve moved both your comments across to this related thread as this is an issue we’ve seen crop up here before. As smart meters can experience communication issues, this can prevent the payments you’ve made via the app or Paypoint from crediting the balance stored on your meter. If this is the case, we’d recommend following the steps below to add this top-up to your meter manually:

Updated on 22/09/21 by Tim_Boost:

You can tell if you’ve got a SMETS1 meter, as it will have a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it will just have the 2 red and blue buttons, keypad. 

There are 2 ways:

• Press Top-Up

• Press OK

• Tap OK

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press to select it

• Tap C again

If you’ve followed the steps above and are still unable to see your credit added, then the next step would be an engineers visit. Whilst the standard timeframe for a regular maintenance visit is around 20 working days it’s worth mentioning that if you do go off-supply with no means to top-up our Support Team can of course schedule in a same day emergency appointment. You can reach the team on 0330  102 7517 or via web chat - Open from 8 am - 8pm on weekdays and 9am - 5pm at weekends.

@Jrich8684 - As you’ve also mentioned having COPD it’s also worth mentioning our Priority Services Register, a free service which offers some extra support for our customers who may have additional needs (find out more about who can qualify for the PSR here)  - you can sign-up for this online here or with our Support Team.

It’s really disappointing to hear of your experiences when trying to raise and resolve your smart meter issues with our Support Team. As you’ve both mentioned raising a complaint, we’d recommend taking a look at our Complaints process. If it’s been over 8 weeks since you raised the complaint or you’ve been issued a ‘deadlock’ letter you’ll then be able to escalate your complaint to the energy ombudsman for independent review.

I’m hoping this is resolved quickly for you.

My last two payments for gas don’t appear on the smart meter and in place a rising bill. Any ideas what has happened?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @SMYLON and thanks for posting about this. I’ve moved your comment over here as this thread has other examples of this. I’d echo what Jess_Boost has mentioned with regards to how to check for a communication issue with your smart meter and how to add the top up manually:

As smart meters can experience communication issues, this can prevent the payments you’ve made via the app or Paypoint from crediting the balance stored on your meter. If this is the case, we’d recommend following the steps below to add this top-up to your meter manually:

There are 2 ways:

• Press Top-Up

• Press OK

• Tap OK

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press to select it

• Tap C again

If you’ve followed the steps above and are still unable to see your credit added, then the next step would be an engineers visit. Whilst the standard timeframe for a regular maintenance visit is around 20 working days it’s worth mentioning that if you do go off-supply with no means to top-up our Support Team can of course schedule in a same day emergency appointment. You can reach the team on 0330  102 7517 or via web chat - Open from 8 am - 8pm on weekdays and 9am - 5pm at weekends.

Has anyone had problems with their smart meter? 

Whenever I top up the app for the gas it doesn't connect to the meter so it has to be done manually, usually it's a 20 digit number, but this time I had to type in a 60 digit number onto the smart meter to top it up, I have tried phoning and can never get through. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Sorry to hear of the difficulty you’ve had topping up your balance recently, @KW1983.

I’ve moved your comment over to this similar thread as there’s some advice above which I think outlines the process you’ve mentioned to add your top-ups manually.

If these top-up issues are ongoing this could suggest a communication issue between us and your smart meters. We’ve got more advice which might help on the guides below. Either way our Support Team should also be able to help check what’s behind the top-up issues.

I have same problem for 7 weeks or even longer. And every single time when i top up i must contact with advisors to get my credits plus sometimes i have to do that a couple time cuz advisors decline to help :D Im waiting for engineer but 2hours ago I top up and tried get credits few times  cuz i know right after easter they will be really busy and now the queue is empty and they decline to do anything cuz im on supply and i must wait till tomorrow when the queue will be much longer :D  Usually I spend 2 or more hours every time I top up on chating with advisor. On easter  probably I gonna be out of supply but they dont care today :D  that's ridiculous :D 

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’m so sorry to hear of the challenges you’ve had when topping up recently, @starrky.

Just to check, have you tried following the steps to add your top-up to the meter manually?

Updated on 22/09/21 by Tim_Boost:

There are 2 ways:

• Press Top-Up

• Press OK

• Tap OK

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press to select it

• Tap C again

As you mention this has been happening for a number of weeks, I’m wondering if it might be down to a communication issue with your meter. We’ve got more advice in how to check this in the guides below.

If the top-up issues continue and the communication seems to be the suspect our Support Team should be able to raise this to our Smart metering team for further investigation. Whilst our emergency engineers are reserved for those currently off-supply, we should be able to get a non-urgent appointment arranged if this can help get those communication issues resolved. So it’s worth checking in with the team to check whether this has been referred to our Smart metering team already.

Our opening hours are only slightly reduced on the bank holidays this weekend (9am - 5pm) and as ever the quickest way to reach the team is often via our web chat which you can find here.

I hope this information is helpful in getting things sorted.

I don't actually know where to start.........

18/4/22 - I tried to top up using the APP, which I haven't had an issue with  - it took my money but I never got a receipt, so I did it again and got the receipt confirmation.  Spoke to a lovely lady Charlen Shyman who was very very helpful, she confirmed that the £10.00 be back in my account within 3-5 days.  On the call we discussed going direct debit as I hate topping up each month, she said she would process this for me at £100.00 per month for BOTH gas /electric and then once I'm on to DDM I can go over to a set plan approx. £80.00 per month - BRILLIANT!!!! no hassle of a stupid app, this works perfect for me.....

checked bank and shows it was taken twice SO NEVER WENT BACK IN MY BANK (pic below)

09/05/22 - ELECTRIC GOES OFF!!! - weird as the app showed i was in credit (I NEVER EVER GO THAT LOW), have to connect emergency credit.  called at 10.50am - on hold for 47mins, cut off called back at 11.40am CUT OFF, called back at 11.59am (as i type this email at 13.24 i am STILL ON THE PHONE)

spoke to a very UNPROFESSIONAL lady Nomonde (who wouldn't give surname!!!) -  explained what had happened so i credited my account on the app whilst she was on the phone,,,,,guess what???? it did it again like the 18/4/22, so now i'm down £20.00, Nomonde said exactly the same as Charlene but I'm not waiting again so iyouve taken a payment over the phone and now this isn't working at your end so i'm £30 DOWN AND STILL SHOWING AS IN EMERGENCY CREDIT,,,,then to insult me further she says have credit at £0.65p a DAY WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 13.32pm AND STILL ON HOLD 

WHAT THE HELL is going off......i suppose to be working and had to cancel a meeting because of this!!!!!!!!!  

I want my £30.00 putting on my electric TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!! not tomorrow or not next day, and i WILL NOT HAVE ANY CHARGES FOR USING EMERGENCY credit when not my fault - YOUR APPS FAULT!!!

Plus ************WHY AM I HAVING TO PAY THE AMOUNT I AM EACH WEEK*************** I KNOW IT'S GONE UP BUT THIS IS ROBBING**************

I want Direct Debit setting up ASAP.... and i will be writing on social media/ ombusman

A manager best get on this line NOW

2cea9dbe-0578-4762-8940-d067b3286124.jpg

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @katsyk,

Firstly I’m really sorry to hear of the difficulty you’ve had when topping up and contacting the Support Team recently. Whilst I appreciate the frustration I’d kindly ask that any posts here avoid swearing. Comments which breach our Community Guidelines may be edited or removed.

As you mention making payments via the app which failed to reach your meter balance I’ve moved your comment over to this similar thread as there’s some advice above I’m hoping might help:

There are 2 ways:

• Press Top-Up

• Press OK

• Tap OK

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press to select it

• Tap C again

As you mention requesting a change to a Pay Monthly account, it’s worth noting that as this request is processed by another team it can take several weeks for this process to complete. That said our Support Team should be able to check the status of this request and get a complaint raised if you’re not happy with the service you’ve received. You can see our full complaint procedure here. As you mention our email inbox is no longer in use so we’d recommend contacting the team via our webchat which you can find here.

I hope this helps get things resolved.

Swearing??????? Where’s the swearing!!!!!!????? Please confirm

Userlevel 4
Badge

Your comment was edited to remove this word, @katsyk.

Sorry for any confusion.

There wasn’t any swearing I’m more professional then that!!

Every time I try to top up via the app or online it always tells me that the payment failed and to try again or call the number, I’ve tried several times and not once has it let me top up. 

Has it taking money from your bank?

Mine is doing this now. 80.00 upto now!! Still nothing on meter.