Solved

I've topped up but the money isn't showing on my balance - why?

Userlevel 3
Badge

a23d355c-43c4-4933-a2bf-15caa7659dc7.png

I topped up last night and it’s come out of my bank, but my balance is still in the emergency. Will I still get cut off?

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 14 May 2018, 14:29

View original

17 replies

Updated on 22/09/21 by Tim_Boost:

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS1 meter

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

A SMETS1 meter has a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it’ll just have the 2 red and blue buttons, but no keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my meter or IHD?

It’s normal for smart meters to lose signal from time to time, just like mobile phones. This means it might take longer than usual for your top-up to show up as energy credit. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to see your top-ups on your meter, but you can always add them manually too. Read on for more info. 

How do I top up my SMETS1 meters manually?

After making a payment, it takes up to 30 minutes (for electricity) and 60 minutes (for gas) for the money to show on your meter. If it doesn’t, you can give it a little push.

For this, you’ll need the 20-digit code on your PayPoint receipt. This is why it’s always best to keep your receipts safe.

• Press on your gas or electricity meter

• Enter the code from your receipt

• Tap B to confirm and it’s all done!

If you top up online or via your app, PayPoint will either email them to you or send them via text.

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on, so make sure all gas appliances are off before trying to reconnect. If the meter has disconnected, you can reconnect it by pressing AAB (SMETS1) or holding and B at the same time (SMETS2).

Why did my SMETS1 meter cut out without using emergency credit first? 

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD

When your balance drops below £5, your IHD will flash and tell you that you can activate the emergency credit. If you don’t, it’ll then flash again when your balance is below 50p:

• Navigate to the main menu

• Click on Account

• Press the  emergency credit button

(You’ll find more detailed information on what to do in your IHD booklet.)

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter:

• Press the 7 on the keypad

• You’ll see a message saying EC OFFER – tap A to accept the emergency credit or B to ignore

• Then tap B to confirm

• By pressing 7 you’ll see whether the credit has been activated – it’ll tell you EC SELECTED

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS2 meter

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

You can tell if you’ve got a SMETS1 meter, as it will have a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it will just have the 2 red and blue buttons, keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my SMETS2 meter or IHD?

Smart meters can stop communicating with us for a number of reasons. If your top-up hasn't appeared on your meter, follow the instructions below to add your credit manually.. 

How do I top up my SMETS2 meters manually?

There are 2 ways:

1. Using your IHD – this is the easiest and fastest way:

• Tap the menu icon at the bottom right of the screen

• Press Top-Up

• Choose the fuel you want to top up

• Press OK

• Enter your PayPoint code

• Tap OK

• The IHD will then confirm that your money has been added to your meter

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A on your meter until you see Enter Top Up Code

• Press and hold A to begin typing 

• Enter your code using the A and B buttons to navigate through the digits

• Press and hold B when complete

• The meter will show you one of these messages: Top Up accepted or Invalid

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press C on your gas meter to enter the menu

• Using and B, scroll to Prepayment and press C

• Tap A and B until you see New Payment

• Press to select it

• Use A and B to enter your code

• Tap C again

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on. If the meter has disconnected, you should be asked to press any button following a top-up to trigger a reconnection.

Why did my SMETS2 meter cut out straight away without warning? Where is my emergency credit?

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD:

If your balance drops below £5, the IHD will tell you that your emergency credit is available:

• Press the menu button

• Tap E-Credit

• Select the fuel you want emergency credit for (gas or electricity)

• Press OK

• The IHD will confirm your request

• You’ll see Emergency credit in use next to the fuel you’ve added it to

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter

For electricity:

If your balance goes below £0, your meter will say EMC available:

• Press A to cancel or B to activate it

• You should now see 2 emergency credit balances. The first is how much emergency credit you have left and the second shows how much has already been accepted

• If you select the emergency credit, you’ll see an EC sign on the display at the bottom-right corner

For gas:

• Press any button on your gas meter to wake up the screen

• If you have any emergency credit available, you’ll see an EC logo on the screen, next to the signal bar icon

• Press C to enter the menu and B to scroll to Prepayment

• Tap C to enter

• Press B to scroll down to the Emerg. Credit option, then C to enter

• If the status says Available, press C to accept the £5 emergency credit (you should hear a beep sound and the status should change to In-Use)

• You can check your emergency credit balance by going through the same menu options until you see Limit and Remaining

I topped up yesterday but my balance is saying I haven't is there anything I can do?
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I've moved you post here, @kerry, the above ☝🏼should have all the information you need.

Cheers!
Userlevel 1
hi i just top up gas, i cant se balance and how i have to check
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @egiptcottage2019, I've moved your question to this topic, as it's a little more relevant!

I'd have a look at Emma's response above:

Has the top up made an appearance yet, @Lynne ?

If you topped up online or on the app, the top up should show on the account straight away.

If you topped up at the shop, the credit should go onto the meters straight away. If it hasn't, it could be because the communication with your smart meters is poor or you've used the wrong top up card.

If it's neither of these, I'd recommend contacting us so we can look into this one for you.

You can send us a message to our Facebook or Twitter pages: https://www.facebook.com/boostpoweruk/ or https://twitter.com/boostpoweruk or if you'd prefer, contact us via email at hello@boostpower.co.uk.

Thanks,
Ed

I have about an hour ago topped up my gas with my payment card and it hasn’t credited my account still saying 21p why

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Hailz91 I’ve moved your message over to this relevant topic.

Have a read of the best answer for further help on your query:

If you topped up online or on the app, the top-up should show on the account straight away.

If you topped up at the shop, the credit should go onto the meters straight away. If it hasn't, it could be because the communication with your smart meters is poor, or you've used the wrong top-up card.

If you're on our PAYG+ plan, you'll get a 24-hour non-disconnect period once the balance hits £0. If you're on our PAYG Standard plan, you'll get the usual £5 emergency credit.

If it’s still not gone on and you’re going to be disconnected soon, give us a call on 0330  102 7517, or send us a message on our Facebook or Twitter pages.

Cheers,
Emma

Userlevel 1

I topped up my payment cards yesterday however my meter still isn’t showing the top-up…. I only have £2 or so left electric meter and i’m halfway through my gas emergency credit.  Why isn’t the top-up showing? When will it show?  What happens when I run out of emergency credit?

I phoned the customer services who said that the top-ups have been applied to the meters and not to worry. But they are not showing on the meters and I am worrying. I need some evidence that the top ups have worked.

Also, the £40 I had on my old meter still hasn’t transferred over to the new meter…I was advised that this would be within 5 working days. This is the 5th working day.

After topping up I shouldn’t have to do anything further:

Smart meter with a Smart PAYG Standard plan: Customers get a payment card for each meter. They take these cards to a PayPoint and pay to top them up. However, they don’t then need to go home and put the cards in the meters. As soon as the credit is in one of the cards, it is transferred remotely to the relevant meter.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @Jonathan T - I’ve moved your post over here so we keep all the relevant info together.

It sounds like the credit has been added if the adviser could see it on our side, but that does mean that your meters aren’t showing the most up to date information.

I’d recommend getting in touch with us so we can trouble shoot this, as it may be that the signal is weak, or the In-Home Display isn’t paired correctly. You could give us a call on 0330 102 7517, and we can talk through the issue, and the steps to resolve it. They’re available 8am - 8pm Monday - Friday, and 9am - 5pm Saturdays.

Thanks,

Ed

I asked for £15 to be transferred from electric into gas. My gas meter has updated but why isn’t my electric balance gone down by £15?

Userlevel 1

I'm having issues with the app, I tried topping up Friday 6th, it was pending in my bank but it didn't go through to electric, I had to ring boost up and borrow credit as I didn't have any money till friday 13th. got paid on friday and tried topping up again and it happened again. I now have no elec, no money and suffering with depression.

Boost arnt answering fb or twitter dm's and I cant ring as low battery. So what am I ment to do now?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Still not updated, @Somebody24 ?

As you can probably tell, this should’ve happened, and will need chasing up if it’s not been transferred by now!

Might be best to email so this can be replied to without you hanging around: hello@boostpower.co.uk

In your case, @Aphy666 I think a call to Boost really is the best option: 0330 102 7517. I’m so sorry to hear about this experience and I’m hoping we can diagnose what’s stopping that credit from transferring! 

So we were recently swapped from PAYG+ to PAYG Smart. We were never given a card to be able to top up the gas, we only had the duel fuel card from PAYG+ and this only let us top up the electricity. We started running low on gas today so I called Boost and requested a code to be able to top up the gas. 

The helpful agent on the phone provided me with a 19 digit code to use in the new app so I can top up the gas. All fine and well so far, but when I paid for some gas the meter never topped up. I have received the confirmation email and the money has left the bank but my meter is still using the emergency credit. 

I used the guide within the faqs in order to try and top up manually, but my smart meter keeps saying "rejected, invalid."

I'm completely stumped and really want my £40 (I tried paying for more gas a second time, so two £20 payments) to show on the meter/IHD. Does anyone have any other ideas for me to be able to get my money to show?

Thanks

Update: Only one of the £20 top ups are showing in the "my payments" section of the app despite going out to the bank. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Arhhhhhhh not good to hear, @Knackerweed - can you confirm the latest with this?

It’s very likely that any failed top up with show up in your bank transactions history. The reason for this failing could be anything. 

The fact that the one top up made it shows that the number and card is correctly to your meters though! 

the power Is off and the meter says no credit, we've topped it up but nothing is working. 

Userlevel 2

So sorry to hear that you lost power yesterday, @Linda and hollie.

It may be that there’s a slight communication issue with your Smart meter which has meant the top-up didn’t reach your meter. I’ve moved your comment over to this trouble-shooting guide so check the advice above for how to add the top-up manually to get back on supply.

Hoping this sorts the issue and you’re already back on supply, if not give the team a call on 0330  102 7517.

Let us know how it goes, and if this advice worked - it’s really helpful for others who may experience the same issue in future. :thumbsup: