Solved

I've been moved to Smart PAYG, but why is my gas balance not showing on the In Home Display (IHD)?

• 10 November 2020
  • 39 replies

Userlevel 1

So I’ve been put into smart payg today and my ihd is showing my electricity balance but not my gas. I’ve topped my gas up £10 using the app and received a receipt for it but it’s showing nothing at all for my gas any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Tim_Boost 16 November 2020, 16:49

View original

39 replies

Ihd only displays my gas account details but not my electric? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

HI @Mrgrey and thanks for posting here!

Can you help us to work this out with some more info?

It would be good to know what model of IHD you have, or a picture? When was the meter fitted, or have you just been changed to Smart PAYG? ​​​​​​

Is the IHD near the electricity meter? Is your electricity smart meter SMETS1? Is it a ‘Secure Liberty’ smart meter? 

What is the light above the ‘HAN’ on the electricity meter doing?

I’m having a similar issue I had a smart meter installed on Friday and had no figures on my display since then. I’ve had no email to say it’s been all transferred over so I have no idea what’s going on with my balances...luckily I know how much I have on my account and not worried about the balance running low. But that’s not the point, the transfer has been terrible and what about those with low balances??? Terrible service, I will be looking elsewhere when my balance goes… Boost will loose a lot of custom with not completing a smooth transfer 

Userlevel 1

When it changed I was expecting the worse but everything seemed ok until it said the emergency gas was available so I presumed it must be low and topped up that’s when I realised I couldn’t actually see my balance or any info for my gas. It did stop saying I needed to put emergency on and my gas is still on so I’m pretty sure it’s gone on ok it’d just be nice to know what I’ve actually got

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for flagging this issue, @Gemsheppard18 @Rach80b 

Can you let us know the latest on the gas balance not showing on the IHD? Have you been sent an email outlining any issue adding the gas?

I wonder if you were effected by this issue that I was advised about on Tuesday 10th November:

I can confirm that there was an issue with 873 accounts that were being changed over from PAYG+ to Smart PAYG, which occurred on Friday 6th. The latest on this is as follows:

• We've now resolved 793 out of 873 of the failed transfers, these customers should be able to top up normally and would have received an email to confirm this. 
  • 50 failed altogether, these customers should continue to top up on PAYG+ until we email them to advise. 
  • 30 have partially succeeded (where gas or electricity has failed to change to Smart PAYG, and the other one has been successful). These exceptions are being fixed now and will be confirmed with an email. 
Userlevel 1

@Tim_Boost my gas balance and anything related to gas is still not showing on my ihd. I have sent an email but havet heard anything back. My gas meter isn’t easily accessible so I really need to be able to see it on my ihd

@Tim_Boost 

hi Tim, I’ve had a separate issue of not being informed my balance takes 5 working days to transfer over so spent 2 hours with Boost to get me emergency credit put on the meters. The IHD worked for an hour yesterday after the balance was uploaded but quickly reverted to showing nothing again. Completely pointless piece of kit at the minute I have no idea what’s going g in and when/if my significant balance will be transferred over ...supposedly tomorrow . The question is if it is transferred will it show on the IHD?

So I’ve been put into smart payg today and my ihd is showing my electricity balance but not my gas. I’ve topped my gas up £10 using the app and received a receipt for it but it’s showing nothing at all for my gas any ideas?

Having the same issue as this but my gas is showing whilst my electricity isn't, the company is a shambles

Userlevel 1

I have the same issue but neither the gas or electricity balance shows on the in home display only and estimated bill 

Userlevel 1

I’m now being told that I need to top up soon even though there should be nearly £30 on my gas but can’t see my balance to check

I got my smart meters installed yesterday. The IHD I was given did show the balance of both meters. However when checking this morning, it only shows my gas balance. How can I get it to show my electric balance again? 

electric smart meter has a row of 5 flashing green lights but lower down has a single flashing red light. Is there something wrong with my IHD or my meter?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Updated on 01/07/2021: 

This info below was taken from a different topic on a similar issue:

What should happen: if you get smart meter fitted, the engineer who fits them should provide an IHD and open up the smart meter network, pairing the IHD there and then. If you’re sent an IHD, you need to call us when you’re next to your IHD, so that a Support agent can open that smart meter and work with you to get the device paired. If this hasn’t been done yet, give us a call when you can: 0330 102 7517. If you haven’t got an IHD6 yet, request one here

See this tutorial video here:

How do I view my balance on my meter or In Home Display (IHD)?

If you have a SMETS1 smart meter (the one with a keypad), press 7 on the meter’s keypad to see your balance. You can also press 5 on your meter to see how much debt you have left.

For SMETS2 smart meters (which has 2 buttons on the electricity meter and 3 buttons on the gas), such as our Aclara electricity or Flonidan gas smart meter, your balance will always display on your IHD home screen and on the screen of the meter itself. 

How do I change the default view of my IHD so it shows my balance?

Press the Menu button in the bottom right of the screen and select Settings. You can change the view of your home screen by selecting Home Screen. This will give you 4 different layouts to choose from. Use the left and right arrows to scroll through the options, including one which shows your balance.

Why is my IHD balance different from my app balance? 

The app balance gets updated once a day after midnight. If you've used energy since midnight or if you've topped up since the time your energy balance updated on your app, then your app balance will be out of date. 

If your meter isn’t communicating with us, then your balance won't update in the app. But the IHD will communicate from your meter throughout the day to stay up to date.

Can I check the balance directly on my meter?

This depends on the type of meter you have. A SMETS1 (the one with a keypad) or a SMETS2 (which has 2 buttons on the electricity meter and 3 buttons on the gas).

If you have a SMETS1

• Press 7 on the meter to see your credit

• Press 5 to check your debt balance

If you have a SMETS2

• You’ll always see how much credit you have on your In-Home Display (IHD) screen, and on the default screen of the meter itself.

If your electricity or gas balance isn’t showing on the IHD, we’ll need your help to assist the Support team in working out why the IHD isn’t connecting. We need you to do some checks, which you might need to provide to the team via email, depending on what you diagnose: hello@boostpower.co.uk

Is there a WAN and HAN connection?

Check the electricity meter and confirm what the LED light labelled 'WAN' and ‘HAN’ is doing.

If you have a Secure Liberty smart meter, and the WAN light is flashing, the meter has WAN. Please check how many times the light flashes between pauses. One flash between pauses means very low signal, five means great signal. If the light is solid, there's no WAN. The HAN light will be solid when the HAN is open - this will activated during install (when pairing the electricity meter to the gas meter and any devices) as well as when pairing an IHD or smart relay via SFE. Once this process has completed, the HAN light will turn off. So you’ll need to check the IHD directly to see if it’s connected to the HAN.

If you have a Aclara S2 smart meter, if there’s WAN and HAN coverage the WAN & HAN lights on top will flash every 5 seconds. If they are searching for signal then they will flash every 3 seconds and if there is a connectivity issue then they will flash every 1 second or not flash at all.

Here are a list of questions you may be asked, if your meter has no or poor WAN:

1. How strong is the mobile phone signal next to your meter?
  2. Is there anything metallic in the way of the meter which could be moved?
  3. If the meter has something metallic blocking the signal - for instance a mirror or an ironing board - then moving this may solve the problem.
  4. Is your electricity meter in a metal box (e.g a metal meter cupboard)? 
  5. Is your electricity meter in a basement, or is it partially enclosed (e.g in a closed cupboard under the stairs)?

If the IHD is showing missing data for one or both fuels and the meter comms are fine, you should perform the following checks.

1 - Check the distance to the electricity meter, has the IHD been moved? 

Try to keep the IHD within a max of 6 metres from the electricity meter. The signal will decline significantly with walls.

2 -  Has the IHD shown data previously or has anything changed e.g. obstructions?

If the IHD was previously showing data, check if anything has changed in the home that could have caused the loss of communication.

3 - Is the IHD showing the correct time?

If it's not showing the correct time, the IHD is not paired.

4a - IHD2 and IHD3: Check WiFi symbol - is it flashing/solid?

• No WiFi symbol & incorrect time > Needs to be paired by our Support team: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)
  • WiFi symbol flashing > Our Support team may be able to sort by unpairing and pairing the device: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)
  • WiFi symbol solid > No issue with WiFi pairing

4b - IHD6: Check the signal bars

Signal bars solid > IHD is paired.
Signal bars flashing > Needs to be paired by our Support team: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)

5 - Try turning off for several minutes before turning back on.

Userlevel 1

@Tim_Boost when I press 7 on my smart meter it comes up with cost now and using now it appears to be in credit mode and not prepayment mode  no current balance shows and nothing about emergency credit 

figure widge

Userlevel 1

@Tim_Boost i cant get through to the support team on that number as its not classed as an emergency should I contact the complaints department 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for the update, @Denise March 1 

What’s the status of your PAYG+ app? It might be that you haven’t been moved over to Smart PAYG yet, if the meters are in credit mode. Either you’ll be able to top up on PAYG+, or the meter is in credit mode preventing you from being disconnected.

If that isn’t the case, our Support team would certainly be able to support: 0330 102 7517

Userlevel 1

What’s the status of your PAYG+ app? It might be that you haven’t been moved over to Smart PAYG yet, if the meters are in credit mode. Either you’ll be able to top up on PAYG+, or the meter is in credit mode preventing you from being disconnected.

If that isn’t the case, our Support team would certainly be able to support: 0330 102 7517

How do I see my gas credit on my smart meter and also how do I connect my ihd 

Userlevel 1

The new app is working fine im able to top up and that goes through with no problems I was moved over to the new app beginning of last week the old app no longer works as it says I've been successfully transferred to the new app 

Userlevel 1

Thanks but that is of zero help to my question

Userlevel 1

I think this could be an app bug.Most new users face such issues

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @Mrgrey,

Did you manage to get the information Tim requested? It would be great to see what’s happened here, and what needs to be done to resolve it.

Thanks,

Ed

Smart gas meter and IHD that I use for electricity not pairing. Not been able to top up for 3 months since it was installed. Not recieved a top up card/app log in or any infomation about the smart meter. Contacted customer service about 50 times they are diabolical. 

Here are my photos: 

Edit: my gas smart meter says 'commissioned A- Yes or B- No' The HAN light was flashing initially but isnt present anymore only a gas symbol, if I press 0 it doesnt run through the time and date etc.  I guess that means it isnt comissioned yet. How do I do this? And when will I recieve my PAYG top up card and app details? Thanks

Userlevel 1

Hi @Zoeb84 I’ve moved your query here, hope you find the answers you’re after on this thread. Give me a shout if you need me. 

Userlevel 1

The transfer went ahead yesterday but now Im concerned because the IHD isnt showing the electric only the gas.

Userlevel 1

@Tim_Boost can you help with this please?