Question

How do I take a reading on my SMETS1 Secure Liberty smart meter?

• 20 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

how do you check the meter readings on a smets 1 gas and electric as i need to give our new supplier them cheers

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @vicki1979 

If you have a ‘Secure Liberty’ smart meter:

How to take readings

Both gas and electricity smart meters have a numerical keypad. Here’s what to do if you want to take a traditional meter reading:

Smart electricity meters on a standard tariff

• Press 9 on the keypad.
  • Your smart meter screen will show a series of letters: IMP KWH. 
  • You’ll see 8 digits (e.g. 0001234.5) followed by kWh at the bottom right of the screen.
  • This figure is your latest reading – if you’re giving a reading to your energy provider, they only need the first 7 digits.

Smart electricity meters on Economy 7

Your smart meter shows separate readings for your off-peak and daytime use.

• Press 6 on the keypad.
  • Your screen may show BOOST VARIABLE followed by ACT RATE.
  • During the night/off-peak hours you’ll then see IMP R01 followed by 8 digits. This is your night/off-peak reading – your energy provider only needs the first 7 digits.
  • During the day/peak hours you’ll see IMP R02 followed by 8 digits. This is your day/peak reading – your energy provider only needs the first 7 digits.

If you’re giving a reading, whether it’s to Boost or another supplier, you need to give both readings, whatever time of day it is.

Smart gas meters

• Press 9 on the keypad.
  • VOLUME will appear on your smart meter screen.
  • You’ll see 6 digits (e.g. 00123.4) followed by an ‘m3’ symbol at the bottom right of the screen.
  • This figure is your latest reading – if you’re giving a reading to your energy provider, they only need the first 5 digits.