Question

Does the Smart PAYG app not send low balance notification SMS? How do I know when I need to top up?

• 22 May 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi. Any help will be appreciated.

In the past, I’d know when to top up because I’d receive a text message.

Now that I have been moved to PAYG Smart, how do I know when to top up?

Will I still receive a text message?

I do not have an in-home display. I have ordered one and am waiting to receive it.

Am I supposed to just keep an eye on the in-home display to know when to top up? I’d prefer to receive a text message.

Thanks for the help.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Serkan999 and thanks for posting this question. 

The new Smart PAYG app and browser doesn’t have the SMS notifications system that lets you know when you’re low. However you can now view your balance online.

The advice here has been taken from this topic. Your balance should show just below your top up numbers, like the picture below. It’ll give you a snapshot as of midnight, just as the previous app did.

RAC5wUPUkbp_oD8koWBb65-qyAbWIjh5qJk8vryz0LmexZiuSJMw3b3gbzXlUQrEZHAs8u9-fdSOc-3NwgMs3RsTVDQNsUYoc7P2k9RFoPTj-eI2X7a1nHFPLnprUc3kYFl_FvI

You can also access Smart PAYG via a browser here.

Will I be able to see my balance in the new Boost Top-up app?

Yes, but it might take up to 3 days to show after downloading the app for the first time. Your balance will be updated each day after midnight. That said, if your meters aren't communicating with us frequently, your balance might not show at all – or be out of date.

Why isn’t the balance showing on my app?

It could be that you don’t have the latest version of the Boost Top-up app. You need to download it (App Store or Google Play) and use it to top-up – your balance will then show after midnight. 

One thing to note is that your balance might take up to 3 days to show after downloading the latest version.

There’s also a chance that you can’t see your balance because the connection between us and your smart meters has dropped out, and we’re not receiving data. This might happen on some meters as we experience a few teething problems with the new app.  But rest assured, we're looking to fix them as soon as possible. You can find more about this in our troubleshooting FAQs section (below). 

Why isn’t my balance showing on the browser version of the Boost Top-up app?

The balance feature isn’t available in your internet browser yet, but it’s something we hope to add in the future.  Download the app (App Store or Google Play) or read on for alternative ways to view your balance. 

How do I view my balance on my meter or In Home Display (IHD)?

If you have a SMETS1 smart meter (the one with a keypad), press 7 on the meter’s keypad to see your balance. You can also press 5 on your meter to see how much debt you have left.

For SMETS2 smart meters (which has 2 buttons on the electricity meter and 3 buttons on the gas), such as our Aclara electricity or Flonidan gas smart meter, your balance will always display on your IHD home screen and on the screen of the meter itself. 

How do I change the default view of my IHD so it shows my balance?

Press the Menu button in the bottom right of the screen and select Settings. You can change the view of your home screen by selecting Home Screen. This will give you 4 different layouts to choose from. Use the left and right arrows to scroll through the options, including one which shows your balance.

Why is my IHD balance different from my app balance? 

The app balance gets updated once a day after midnight. If you've used energy since midnight or if you've topped up since the time your energy balance updated on your app, then your app balance will be out of date. 

If your meter isn’t communicating with us, then your balance won't update in the app. But the IHD will communicate from your meter throughout the day to stay up to date.

Can I check the balance directly on my meter?

This depends on the type of meter you have. A SMETS1 (the one with a keypad) or a SMETS2 (which has 2 buttons on the electricity meter and 3 buttons on the gas).

If you have a SMETS1

• Press 7 on the meter to see your credit

• Press 5 to check your debt balance

If you have a SMETS2

• You’ll always see how much credit you have on your In-Home Display (IHD) screen, and on the default screen of the meter itself.

Bern with Boost/Ovo for 6 years, never an issue until this change over. Used to get notifications when balance was low and topped up without issues and balance was updated.  Not any more, had power cut twice and balance is says behind,  customer service  say i need a IHD but 8 week back log, what crap service,  they knew this was happening,  am giving serious thought to change supplier.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Mjrigg1 and thanks for sharing this honest feedback. 

It’s such a shame to hear a longstanding customer like yourself is thinking about a change, and I’m keen to help in any way I can. 

I’ve moved your comment over to an existing thread on notifications. There’s some useful tips there on seeing your balance on the app, the IHD, and directly on the meter. Having a midnight snapshot of your balance available on the app will certainly help avoid any unexpected dips to the bottom of your emergency credit. 

As you mention getting an IHD will also be helpful. 8 weeks is a long time to wait though!