pinned News

Coronavirus: how we’ll support you

• 12 March 2020
  • 30 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Updated on 18/09/20: Please see our FAQ page for the latest advice and guidance 

We know that these are worrying times – and our thoughts go out to everyone who’s been affected. Right now, we’re working hard to prioritise the health and safety of all our Boost customers. Here’s some advice on how to manage your energy, while staying safe. 

Customers with smart meters: managing your energy through Coronavirus:

We suggest that you have 2 weeks’ of credit on your balance at all times, in case you can’t go to the shops to top up. If you can’t go out, it’s important to reach out to friends, family or neighbors who can top up for you. Just remember to wash your hands before and after seeing people. You should also disinfect your top-up card before handing it to anyone else.

If you don’t have anyone who can help you top up, please get in touch.

Customers with traditional meters: managing your energy through Coronavirus:

Try and keep enough credit on your meter to last 2 weeks
This means that if the NHS asks you to self-isolate you’ll be prepared. If you can’t do this...

Reach out to your support network of neighbors, friends, and family
If you can’t go out, it’s important to reach out to others who can top up for you. Just remember to wash your hands before and after seeing people. You should also disinfect your top-up card before handing it to anyone else. If you don’t have anyone who can help you top up, please get in touch with us.

And, don’t forget that if you have a smart meter we may be able to top it up remotely for you. 

Also…

If you need to get in touch…

• Ask a question on Twitter.
  • Email us at hello@boostpower.co.uk 
  • Get answers here from the Boost community

A note on phone call waiting times
If our phones are very busy, you might have to wait longer than normal to get through. But, rest assured, we’ll be working hard to look after everyone. 

If you’re worried about losing power...
If you can’t pay for your energy and might lose power, please contact us and we’ll do everything we can to help. 

If you are worried about using more energy...
Staying at home means you’ll probably use more energy than usual. For some simple steps to cut your energy use, head here. 

Please see the FAQ page we’ve set up here!

We hope this info helps. But remember, if you need us, just get in touch. 

Thanks,
The Boost Team

To find out more about coronavirus, you can get advice from the NHS

30 replies

Userlevel 1

A nice post in Theory but as one of your "vulnerable" customers in the at risk group a lot of us are still waiting to even hear about our winter warmer applications for the money we are supposed to receive from you to our account from the government.

Living with this virus and not even being a able to afford to put the heating on all the time with the absolute terror of pneumonia threat is horrible.

I'm so worried about money and how much I'm having to spend on heating that I do not have more than one bath a fortnight which leaves me feeling disgusting.

My friends with other companies have been told that they can get a voucher from you which the government allows two of a year or something but nobody at your place seems to know anything about it and just keeps referring back to the Winter warm all the time.

My partner used to deliver aircraft parts for repairs on a zero-hour contract when needed obviously now airplanes everywhere are grounded so we have even less money coming in as in none at all.

It's horrible from the emails and texts every day from boost saying your meter is running low your meter is running low makes me start everyday in absolute terror.

I have managed to get my consumption down to £2.50 to £2.83 a day by sleeping on the floor and the couch in the living room so we only use one room  and having a few hours of heating everyday and using the oven as little as possible.

I don't turn the boiler on ever as it cost £1 to have hot water approximately so we are living with cold water

This is no way to live

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I’m really sorry to hear you’re feeling like this, @Emma180. These are uncertain times, and we’re taking things day by day, just like the rest of the country. 

Our phone lines are still open. You can reach the team during the usual opening hours of 8am to 6pm (or until 8pm for emergencies) on a weeknight, and 9am to 5pm on a Saturday. You can also email the team on hello@boostpower.co.uk, message us on Facebook, or DM us on Twitter (@boostpoweruk).

We know that lots of people could lose income because of the disruption. If you think you might lose power, please get in touch and we’ll do everything that we can to support you and your family. We want to make this as manageable for everyone as we possibly can. 

If and when the Government change their guidelines, we will absolutely reflect upon this and make sure we’re doing everything within our power to support our customers to our fullest capacity, and keep you informed of any important changes.

In reference to the voucher you’ve mentioned, I’m not sure it’s something Boost participate in. The only large scale scheme we participate in for providing credit to vulnerable customers is the Warm Home Discount. If this isn’t what you mean, and you can get the name of the specific scheme/voucher, please contact us on one of the means above and we’d be happy to double check for you if this is something we offer.

Feel free to DM any of the moderators on here too if you have any further questions.

Hope this helps,

Nancy

Userlevel 1

In reference to the voucher you’ve mentioned, I’m not sure it’s something Boost participate in. The only large scale scheme we participate in for providing credit to vulnerable customers is the Warm Home Discount. If this isn’t what you mean, and you can get the name of the specific scheme/voucher, please contact us on one of the means above and we’d be happy to double check for you if this is something we offer.

Feel free to DM any of the moderators on here too if you have any further questions.

Hope this helps,

Nancy

Nancy I have spoke to my friend's today who have all had help with this from various suppliers they are hardship voucher tokens they are generally for around about £49 and are applied to the account in the time of genuine hardship you can have it I think it's 2 or 3 times a year

In the case of pay-as-you-go this is applied directly to the account.

I should add as well that I still haven't even heard anything back about my Warm Home Discount and it's now March I am vulnerable already being partially blind and having multiple sclerosis and it's been absolutely miserable this winter I'm constantly cold and just living well into the fuel poverty line.

I'm happy to ring up and explain the situation I just want to make sure it's not going to be the same as last time where somebody just wants to ask me if I'm on the right tariff and give me some helpful advice about how to spend less electricity.

The reason I want to avoid that is it's just going to upset me further I already don't have baths apart from once a fortnight if I absolutely have to as it's too expensive and I only heat one room which I live in and we have to sleep on the couch or on the floor I tried to avoid cooking hot food as the oven is too expensive so often eat cold meals it's absolutely miserable.

I just want to make sure that it's not going to be someone just checking my tariff and advising me of super special ways to put down on my bill because that's just going to upset me further and the way I feel at the moment I'm kind of hoping I get the virus because to be honest with you I just can't go on like this at this point

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

We understand what you’re saying @Emma180, and you can rest assured that Boost is doing all that is expected of them in this trying time.

I think the vouchers you’re referring to are ‘fuel vouchers’ which are usually issued by your local authority or Citizens Advice. For lots of useful info on other areas of support available to you, especially when struggling to keep on top of your energy costs, check out this link I put together here!

With the Warm Home Discount scheme, all suppliers have until the end of March to make all payments, however we’ve been trying to pay this asap for our customers. I’d recommend reaching out to the Boost team, through the contact methods @Nancy_Boost provided above, and an agent can chase this up for you. If you specifically state you’re chasing up your Warm Home Discount application they’ll be able to look into it.

If you’ve not already signed up to the Priority Services Register, you may wish to do so, as this helps Boost support you in the best way they can based on your vulnerabilities. Check out our link on this here.

It’s worth mentioning that Boost only offer one tariff, to be fair to everyone. This is competitive and in line with the government price cap. 

We want you to have all of the best support available, and like Nancy mentioned above, we’re keeping on top of this situation to make sure we can address potential issues caused by the COVID-19 virus before they arise.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a DM here at any point and I’ll try to help you as best as I can.

All the best,

Bradley

Userlevel 1

I am on the priority services register thank you I provided all the evidence and joined it when I started with the company

What if  where told to stay at home with this corononvirusand dont get a wage to be able.to top up my gas and electric due to all this how do us working people manage our electric and gas then ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

What if  where told to stay at home with this corononvirusand dont get a wage to be able.to top up my gas and electric due to all this how do us working people manage our electric and gas then ?

Hi @Weesweeney, that scenario is outlined in the main topic text - have a look at the advice that matches your meter type, and let us know if you still have any questions. 

Tim

Userlevel 1

As a single mum of 3 not being able to work money is tight my energy bills have increased since having my baby. Monthly I struggle and I’m constantly in the £30 emergency credit but I only just manage to stay a float week to week in a normal situation. My baby is my tube fed and the feed is administered via a pump machine which is plugged into mains. Along with this she has other medical issues which requires extra heating to keep her warm and is in a catagory where is at risk due to the corona virus. With all this going on , school closures and having to use money elsewhere I’m worried I will not have enough to cover to top up my prepayment meters which could be detrimental as it’s not something we can go without. I top up on adverage 160/170 a month as it is and I can only assume this will sky rocket with being at home more due to self isolation . What are my options ? What help is available and where and how to I acsess help. I have done an online form to be contacted and unfortunately had no reply. If anyone can shed light on this challenging situation it would be much appreciated 

thankyou 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @Chan1993,

I can appreciate your concern, it’s a very difficult time, especially for those with vulnerabilities in the property.

Firstly, I’d strongly suggest you get signed up on the Priority Services Register, so that we’re aware of the vulnerabilities. We may be able to offer you some additional services as well.

We aim to keep all our customers on supply, and we’ll do whatever we can to help. If you’re unable to top up and you’ve run out of credit, get in touch via the methods in the top post for further advice.

Thanks,

Ed

Userlevel 1

Hey Thankyou for your reply 

I have tried to register on the priority register but all I get is “oops something went wrong please try again later” message , I don’t have the means to ring through at the moment any other way of doing this ?

thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I have tried to register on the priority register but all I get is “oops something went wrong please try again later” message , I don’t have the means to ring through at the moment any other way of doing this ?

Still an issue, @Chan1993 ? Sounds like an issue with the WiFi perhaps. The page is working for me at least. 

Pop us a message, when you can if this is not letting you complete it online.

There’s now a coronavirus FAQ page set up, check it out here!

If I can not go out how can I top up key and card

My top up cards aren't working in shop. I need electric urgently. I am self isolating due to health being poor. I take medications which need to be taken with food. I have tried ringing and no one is returning call. Please please help! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

If I can not go out how can I top up key and card

I’ve moved your comments over to this topic, @Mick @Luna1710 - have a look at the main topic for loads of info on support options for someone who’s not able to go out to top up. 

Hope this helps,
Tim

this has told me anything 

My gas supply is not working and there is over £30.00 on it. I'm a disabled single mother who is on lockdown

Is boost doing anything to help us in this time of need...i.e cutting the energy prices etc to help us save money esp with all the money alot off us are loosing atm

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

this has told me anything 

Yep good point, the latest info is actually available on our FAQ page

Any changes in guidance etc will be made there ASAP! 

Please see this FAQ page as well @Sez @Searbear @Bignuts69 - just click here!

I am a customer on a smart pay as you go,i am in self isolation in shielding group cos of illness,i ambreally strugling to top up metre its getting to the point its gas or food ,theres 6 people in our home so the gas and electric cost are high i have got to be in total lockdown for atleast 3mts is there any help available in this hard time

Hi All,

I am using both Electric key and Gas card as Pre-Paid. 

The electric meter is a smart meter but the gas meter is the old meter.

Due to this locked-down situation, I am unable to go to Pay Point for recharge.

Is there any alternate way to recharge the card online to avoid any issue?

Thanks,

Tusar

Hello, I'm a customer in self-isolation who uses a meter key to pay (traditional -not smart meter), right now I'm off supply and there’s no one who can top up on my behalf, just wanted to know what to do from here, thanks

Me and my wife wear on agency work as from last week my wife is staying home to look after  my daughter  as she has a underlying illness  I'm looking for work but only can get universal credit  at the mo we are both on insulation now I can get anyone  to topup my card and I only get one days wage from last week I spoke to a staff member  on the phone she said ring back when I'm emergency  credit and there leave the elec and gas on 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Have a look at this topic, @Bignuts69 @Tusar Rout @Customer56 @Paul1763  ^^

Also this FAQ page is kept up to date daily, with info on what to do if you have a non smart meter in self isolation, or anything else related to your energy during this difficult time: just click here!

Userlevel 1

I now have no power supply and no funds to top up as we are self isolating. Can u help. We dont get a payment until 15 of april. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hey @Koolkizzy78 

Check out the above topic for all the info you need to know on how Boost are supporting customers like yourself.

All the best,