News

APP UPDATE - View your Smart PAYG balance online

APP UPDATE - View your Smart PAYG balance online
Userlevel 5
Badge

Updated on 06/10/21 by Tim_Boost:

Since the launch of the new app, we’ve had a lot of feedback from customers that the ability to view your balance online was missed.

It was really helpful for those that can’t easily access the meters, those unable to read their In-Home Displays very well, or those that are away from home a lot.

We’ve listened to all these helpful comments, and have implemented the ability to view your balance on the app once again!

This should show just below your top up numbers, like the picture below. It’ll give you a snapshot as of midnight, just as the previous app did.

RAC5wUPUkbp_oD8koWBb65-qyAbWIjh5qJk8vryz0LmexZiuSJMw3b3gbzXlUQrEZHAs8u9-fdSOc-3NwgMs3RsTVDQNsUYoc7P2k9RFoPTj-eI2X7a1nHFPLnprUc3kYFl_FvI

You can also access Smart PAYG via a browser here, but the app balance feature isn’t available on the browser currently.

My energy balance on PAYG Smart FAQs

Will I be able to see my balance in the new Boost Top-up app?

Yes, but it might take up to 3 days to show after downloading the app for the first time. Your balance will be updated each day after midnight. That said, if your meters aren't communicating with us frequently, your balance might not show at all – or be out of date.

Why isn’t the balance showing on my app?

It could be that you don’t have the latest version of the Boost Top-up app. You need to download it (App Store or Google Play) and use it to top-up – your balance will then show after midnight. 

One thing to note is that your balance might take up to 3 days to show after downloading the latest version.

There’s also a chance that you can’t see your balance because the connection between us and your smart meters has dropped out, and we’re not receiving data. This might happen on some meters as we experience a few teething problems with the new app.  But rest assured, we're looking to fix them as soon as possible. You can find more about this in our troubleshooting FAQs section (below). 

Why isn’t my balance showing on the browser version of the Boost Top-up app?

The balance feature isn’t available in your internet browser yet, but it’s something we hope to add in the future.  Download the app (App Store or Google Play) or read on for alternative ways to view your balance. 

How do I view my balance on my meter or In Home Display (IHD)?

If you have a SMETS1 smart meter (the one with a keypad), press 7 on the meter’s keypad to see your balance. You can also press 5 on your meter to see how much debt you have left.

For SMETS2 smart meters (which has 2 buttons on the electricity meter and 3 buttons on the gas), such as our Aclara electricity or Flonidan gas smart meter, your balance will always display on your IHD home screen and on the screen of the meter itself. 

How do I change the default view of my IHD so it shows my balance?

Press the Menu button in the bottom right of the screen and select Settings. You can change the view of your home screen by selecting Home Screen. This will give you 4 different layouts to choose from. Use the left and right arrows to scroll through the options, including one which shows your balance.

Why is my IHD balance different from my app balance? 

The app balance gets updated once a day after midnight. If you've used energy since midnight or if you've topped up since the time your energy balance updated on your app, then your app balance will be out of date. 

If your meter isn’t communicating with us, then your balance won't update in the app. But the IHD will communicate from your meter throughout the day to stay up to date.

Can I check the balance directly on my meter?

This depends on the type of meter you have. A SMETS1 (the one with a keypad) or a SMETS2 (which has 2 buttons on the electricity meter and 3 buttons on the gas).

If you have a SMETS1

• Press 7 on the meter to see your credit

• Press 5 to check your debt balance

If you have a SMETS2

• You’ll always see how much credit you have on your In-Home Display (IHD) screen, rather than on the meter itself

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS1 meter

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

A SMETS1 meter has a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it’ll just have the 2 red and blue buttons, but no keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my meter or IHD?

It’s normal for smart meters to lose signal from time to time, just like mobile phones. This means it might take longer than usual for your top-up to show up as energy credit. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to see your top-ups on your meter, but you can always add them manually too. Read on for more info. 

How do I top up my SMETS1 meters manually?

After making a payment, it takes up to 30 minutes (for electricity) and 60 minutes (for gas) for the money to show on your meter. If it doesn’t, you can give it a little push.

For this, you’ll need the 20-digit code on your PayPoint receipt. This is why it’s always best to keep your receipts safe.

• Press on your gas or electricity meter

• Enter the code from your receipt

• Tap B to confirm and it’s all done!

If you top up online or via your app, PayPoint will either email them to you or send them via text.

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on, so make sure all gas appliances are off before trying to reconnect. If the meter has disconnected, you can reconnect it by pressing AAB (SMETS1) or holding and B at the same time (SMETS2).

Why did my SMETS1 meter cut out without using emergency credit first? 

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD

When your balance drops below £5, your IHD will flash and tell you that you can activate the emergency credit. If you don’t, it’ll then flash again when your balance is below 50p:

• Navigate to the main menu

• Click on Account

• Press the  emergency credit button

(You’ll find more detailed information on what to do in your IHD booklet.)

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter:

• Press the 7 on the keypad

• You’ll see a message saying EC OFFER – tap A to accept the emergency credit or B to ignore

• Then tap B to confirm

• By pressing 7 you’ll see whether the credit has been activated – it’ll tell you EC SELECTED

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS2 meter

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

You can tell if you’ve got a SMETS1 meter, as it will have a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it will just have the 2 red and blue buttons, keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my SMETS2 meter or IHD?

Smart meters can stop communicating with us for a number of reasons. If your top-up hasn't appeared on your meter, follow the instructions below to add your credit manually.. 

How do I top up my SMETS2 meters manually?

There are 2 ways:

1. Using your IHD – this is the easiest and fastest way:

• Tap the menu icon at the bottom right of the screen

• Press Top-Up

• Choose the fuel you want to top up

• Press OK

• Enter your PayPoint code

• Tap OK

• The IHD will then confirm that your money has been added to your meter

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A on your meter until you see Enter Top Up Code

• Press and hold A to begin typing 

• Enter your code using the A and B buttons to navigate through the digits

• Press and hold B when complete

• The meter will show you one of these messages: Top Up accepted or Invalid

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press C on your gas meter to enter the menu

• Using and B, scroll to Prepayment and press C

• Tap A and B until you see New Payment

• Press to select it

• Use A and B to enter your code

• Tap C again

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on. If the meter has disconnected, you should be asked to press any button following a top-up to trigger a reconnection.

Why did my SMETS2 meter cut out straight away without warning? Where is my emergency credit?

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD:

If your balance drops below £5, the IHD will tell you that your emergency credit is available:

• Press the menu button

• Tap E-Credit

• Select the fuel you want emergency credit for (gas or electricity)

• Press OK

• The IHD will confirm your request

• You’ll see Emergency credit in use next to the fuel you’ve added it to

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter

For electricity:

If your balance goes below £0, your meter will say EMC available:

• Press A to cancel or B to activate it

• You should now see 2 emergency credit balances. The first is how much emergency credit you have left and the second shows how much has already been accepted

• If you select the emergency credit, you’ll see an EC sign on the display at the bottom-right corner

For gas:

• Press any button on your gas meter to wake up the screen

• If you have any emergency credit available, you’ll see an EC logo on the screen, next to the signal bar icon

• Press C to enter the menu and B to scroll to Prepayment

• Tap C to enter

• Press B to scroll down to the Emerg. Credit option, then C to enter

• If the status says Available, press C to accept the £5 emergency credit (you should hear a beep sound and the status should change to In-Use)

• You can check your emergency credit balance by going through the same menu options until you see Limit and Remaining

110 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Kirianne and Welcome to the Boost forum,

Sorry to hear of the issues you’re having since switching back. I’m wondering when your switch took place? As it can sometimes take us some time (around 6 weeks) to get your account fully up and running following a switch, which might explain why you’re struggling to see your balance on the app.

I’ve moved your comment over to our a similar thread as there’s some advice given above which might be helpful in getting things sorted:

Since the launch of the new app, we’ve had a lot of feedback from customers that the ability to view your balance online was missed.

It was really helpful for those that can’t easily access the meters, those unable to read their In-Home Displays very well, or those that are away from home a lot.

We’ve listened to all these helpful comments, and have implemented the ability to view your balance on the app once again!

This should show just below your top up numbers, like the picture below. It’ll give you a snapshot as of midnight, just as the previous app did.

RAC5wUPUkbp_oD8koWBb65-qyAbWIjh5qJk8vryz0LmexZiuSJMw3b3gbzXlUQrEZHAs8u9-fdSOc-3NwgMs3RsTVDQNsUYoc7P2k9RFoPTj-eI2X7a1nHFPLnprUc3kYFl_FvI

You can also access Smart PAYG via a browser here, but the app balance feature isn’t available on the browser currently.

My energy balance on PAYG Smart FAQs

Will I be able to see my balance in the new Boost Top-up app?

Yes, but it might take up to 3 days to show after downloading the app for the first time. Your balance will be updated each day after midnight. That said, if your meters aren't communicating with us frequently, your balance might not show at all – or be out of date.

Why isn’t the balance showing on my app?

It could be that you don’t have the latest version of the Boost Top-up app. You need to download it (App Store or Google Play) and use it to top-up – your balance will then show after midnight. 

One thing to note is that your balance might take up to 3 days to show after downloading the latest version.

There’s also a chance that you can’t see your balance because the connection between us and your smart meters has dropped out, and we’re not receiving data. This might happen on some meters as we experience a few teething problems with the new app.  But rest assured, we're looking to fix them as soon as possible. You can find more about this in our troubleshooting FAQs section (below). 

Why isn’t my balance showing on the browser version of the Boost Top-up app?

The balance feature isn’t available in your internet browser yet, but it’s something we hope to add in the future.  Download the app (App Store or Google Play) or read on for alternative ways to view your balance. 

You mention not yet having an In-Home Display. Have you been in touch with our Support Team to request a device? The quickest way to reach the team is via webchat which you can access by clicking on the yellow speech bubble on our Homepage.

Let us know how you get on - We’re always happy to help here where we can. :slight_smile:

Just rejoined boost (not sure why as it’s an absolute nightmare so far). Can’t see my balance in my app, can’t order an IHD atm and it just not practical to keep checking my smart meter to see my balance?

what am I supposed to do??????

Starting to wish I never rejoined. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

That's me moved over. I've lived into the online portal and this is all I see. Is this it? I thought I was meant to be able to at least see a rough idea of how much was on each account. Can someone give me a link to hire I access the balance on my meters as I still don't have an in house thing.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for the update, @psychoduck - no progress on this must be frustrating, really sorry to hear. 

There’s a chance that this request is still in a queue to be worked, but I’ve reached out to my colleague to make sure any agreed actions are carried out. 

I was making sure I always put on the amount I thought I used so when it was fixed I'd have no sudden debt.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head here, it’s very much advised that you top up as usual to build up a credit balance ready for when that tariff, that’s loaded onto the meter is amended to match your contract rates.

Energy will need to be paid for, and would be separate to any complaint resolution which might or might not include an agreed gesture of goodwill for a shortfall in service. As you can imagine I can’t comment on the specifics as this is dependent on the resolution to your complaint. But yes I’d advise you stick to keeping that gas meter topped up.

That’s my two cents anyway, really hope this gets resolved soon!

Userlevel 3

Just a quick update from my issue... Two weeks on. Still no call back. Still only charging me 10% of the price you're meant to.

I've stopped topping up now, I was making sure I always put on the amount I thought I used so when it was fixed I'd have no sudden debt.

But sod it. I've told you the problem, I've gone through it a dozen times, I've even pin pointed your mistake and sent photographic proof to the support teams, and still nothing.

So I can only assume this 10% bill is a constant 'thank you' for sticking with you despite all the cock ups. There's no way any excess gas I use is my responsibility any more, because apparently everything is 'ok' and there's no problems according to your offices. If(when) that turns out to be wrong, its your error, not mine so you guys can pay.

I'll be staying with boost for a while, 11p a day for gas is at the most 20% of what others charge. Compared to previous suppliers I'm saving £1.15 a day

Userlevel 5
Badge

Huawei has its own system now as they aren't permitted to use American systems due to the USA govt believing they are using it to spy. One of trump's legacies. 🙄

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for posting your feedback, all. There’s some things here I want to call out and help with: 

I can't install it on my phone as its a Google play service and I have a Huawei phone.

This is an odd one, @Smiter - I know that Huawei is on the Android OS, which the Boost Top up app can be found on and downloaded, here. However I’m not sure on the specifics between Android, Google and Huawei. However @Smiter and @RussDee we have a browser version, so you can access and use this online without installing our app, here

I'm also *** that the money in my account is being split 50/50, something I haven't been notified of. This is going to cause me major issues. I auto topped up and am currently using around £3 a day elec and 50p or so gas. The topup is meant to last me till my next benefit day which is a week on Friday. I'm gonna run out of elec well before that and have too much in my gas. Why were we not asked how we wanted it split. 

Yes any PAYG+ credit is split evenly across both meters, but if this doesn’t work, our Support team can certainly help by moving over credit from one to the other. Just give us a quick call to get this done: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile). Just bear in mind that call wait times tend to be longer on Monday morning, so you might want to make this call later in the day. 

@RussDee we’re going to be updating this topic (at the top) and our FAQs page today, to outline a list of possible reasons the Smart PAYG app isn’t showing your balance, which might be temporary or longer term. Based on that, we’ll be able to work out the cause and what needs doing. So watch out for that one! 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Well today is my go live day. I've had a letter saying so. It also said I will receive info about installing the new app. I decided to come and see what all the fuss is about and get it installed and setup in advance. We'll that hasn't worked out too good. I can't install it on my phone as its a Google play service and I have a Huawei phone. I'm also pissed off that the money in my account is being split 50/50, something I haven't been notified of. This is going to cause me major issues. I auto topped up and am currently using around £3 a day elec and 50p or so gas. The topup is meant to last me till my next benefit day which is a week on Friday. I'm gonna run out of elec well before that and have too much in my gas. Why were we not asked how we wanted it split. 

I've been with you guys for years mostly because of the app it helped keep control. This is a huge step in the wrong direction. 

Why on Earth would I stay to contend with your primitive service & tech. No way to check balance online though you claim there is - the trashy app is not online, it’s a mobile app. Time to switch again. See ya!

Userlevel 1

Myself and my partner moved to OVO a couple of years ago because we were impressed by the ease of use and convenience of the app, its functionality to display live credit updates and the ability to be able to top up online. This company has never been the cheapest energy supplier however the OVO app was its USP, as far as we were concerned. Not anymore...

Since the companies' rebranding to Boost the app has been dumbed down to such an extent that it has lost much of its friendly functionality, plus the new 'aesthetic' looks to have been produced by a rambunctious five year old with a Merge Game habit. Customer service appears to have suffered as well.

As a consequence we are currently casting about for another energy supplier which can match or come close to OVO's original mission statement.

Userlevel 2

Feel your pain Fluffy. Cut off for a third time this week. My electricity snapshot has me in credit. Power of at 10am.

You're absolutely right. If you've on a tight budget, you top up no more than you have to. Flippant comments about always having credit really don't wash.

My Gas snapshot, hasn't turned up today. Am in credit? Am I about to be cut off? Who knows!

Do you get the feeling they really don't want non-direct debit customers on their books 

Userlevel 1

@Tim_Boost Yet again 3rd time this week I’ve been cut of and had to call in again. I’m on my second top up card number!
Funny thing is each time i have had to do this I've had diff answers each time, with diff results. The app in kind words should be removed until patched and fully working. No dev of an app would release it knowing its full of bugs and bad all round. As an old school Java app dev myself, no way would I do this to the users of an app.
Non of my numbers work, I’m on my second, just spent an hr getting my power back on. The top up number of 20 digits did not work (the one on my receipt) tried it twice as instructed, the lass had to give me a number they generated for the same amount and had to send my email of receipt to her to remove it from the debt. Surely this is not how we consumers are to proceed for the foreseeable future?, as a night worker I can’t keep doing this!
I am not about to keep chucking money onto this thing if it doesn't work, I am not rich, i top up what i need no more, always have. I would much rather have the hassle of going 4 miles away and using the damn key again to top up, but i can’t, you don’t keep the old economy 7 meters anymore.

You keep talking about an IHD, I had one from previous it doesn't work, for some reason no one can talk to my meter correctly and making your call handlers understand this each and every time is not funny. I’ve spent countless hrs passing info about my meter, its setup etc, I’ve had the engineer out, which turns out its bad install but no one is listening anymore, all I get is meter resets!
And i am still waiting on the complaints dept. to call me from Monday as well!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for this reply, @DuncanPoundcake

I totally understand and appreciate your comments about how important it is to know your balance, especially when you’re near or in your emergency credit. We’ll need to get an IHD sent out to you as part of this complaint resolution. 

The only thing to call out is that the Ombudsmen may ask for a deadlock letter unless the issue was raised more then 8 weeks ago. I’m saying this only to avoid you having a delay in getting it resolved. More info on our complaints process here

Really hope this gets sorted for you quickly,

Tim

Userlevel 2

Tim, I don't have an IHD. If Boost were interested in their customers, they would have ensured I had one and it was set up and working before kicking me off PAYG+.

Yes being in credit is the obvious solution but what you don't factor in is how important being able to know when you were cut being cut off and how to use the credit periods if you are struggling financially. No doubt that was meant as a well-meaning comment but it's also an ignorant one. If you're on a tight but budget, trying to eek out your money, Boost has just made your life a whole lot harder.

I was assured by Customer Services twice, that the Escalation Team would ring me on Monday. They didn't and still haven't. 

I have already had a very good go at getting everything resolved via Customer Services and they were utterly useless and either refused to answer a straight question or told me they didn't know and to ring back. So no, I won't be ringing them again.

I've already taken Boost to the Ombudsman successfully in 2019.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @FluffyBeard just an FYi that I’ve replied to your other post with an essay of a response, check it out here

'Non disconnect periods start at 8pm-8am', so if you run out of credit and emergency credit before 8pm, you risk being disconnected.'

This now contradicts what I was told yesterday by Ed in the Boost chat. He said 10am-4pm was disconnect period. Which one is it?

Hi @DuncanPoundcake - ahh OK, the friendly credit period does start at 10am on Mondays. For Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, it’s 8am. Unless this has been temporarily adjusted. I’ll check with Ed and come back. 

As you mention, the solution here is to keep the meter topped up, rather then relying on friendly credit periods. So let’s get that done for you. You should have an app and an In Home Display that shows your balance, making it easier then checking the meter itself. 

I can see you’ve both mentioned going to Ofgem or the regulator. Please be advised that you do have the full support of the Energy Ombudsman, as an option to resolve your complaint. However if the issue has been raised within 8 weeks, they will ask for a deadlock letter to be issued by Boost Power to take on the case. 

Our Complaints team will be able to issue you with this, although they may have a very good go at getting everything resolved for you first. Please request this directly over the phone to minimise a delay: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile). 

Very hopefully you get things resolved,
Tim

Userlevel 2

Good move. I'm off to the regulator to. This has gone way beyond unacceptable.

Userlevel 1

What's even more annoying is my original post In this forum has “Been Removed” for some reason. 

Userlevel 1

I am currently in this position, I have credit on my app (top up confirmed, yet 0.27p on emergency credit! I have already been cut off twice on 6 days due to no credit and account swap over. I’m fed up, disgusted. I don’t have hrs on end to try and call in the be “cut off” or on hold whilst they try and figure what is going off. its simple Your network is not talking to my metre, 2 yrs of this now and nowhere! 
as for the app, do not get me started, not updated balance in 6 days, cannot see my my balance in app or online (don’t exist online)
I now have to seek other advice elsewhere (Ofgem/CA) to get out of this mess

Userlevel 2

'Non disconnect periods start at 8pm-8am', so if you run out of credit and emergency credit before 8pm, you risk being disconnected.'

This now contradicts what I was told yesterday by Ed in the Boost chat. He said 10am-4pm was disconnect period. Which one is it?

The point being I don't sit next to my meter all day and Boost has removed the ability for me to check on the app what my balance is and judge when to top up. 

I CAN'T SEE MY BALANCE! 

Why is this so difficult to understand??

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @DuncanPoundcake 

To request an IHD, please fill out this form to order yours. In the meantime you will need to rely on the meter balance which is in real time, or the app, which is delayed. Did you say you can’t see your gas meter balance on the app?

Non disconnect periods start at 8pm-8am, so if you run out of credit and emergency credit before 8pm, you risk being disconnected. 

@Mattf let’s diagnose why that IHD isn’t showing your balance. I’ve taken some info from another topic on a similar issue. 

If you get smart meter fitted, the engineer who fits them should provide an IHD and open up the smart meter network, pairing the IHD there and then. If you’re sent an IHD, you need to call us when you’re next to your IHD, so that a Support agent can open that smart meter and work with you to get the device paired. If this hasn’t been done yet, give us a call when you can: 0330 102 7517. 

See this tutorial video here:

If you’ve already spoken to our Support team to try and get this paired, and it just won’t connect, we’ll need to know why. To help the Support team work out why the IHD isn’t connecting, we need you to do some checks, which you can provide to the team via email: hello@boostpower.co.uk

1. Are the Meter Serial Numbers (MSNs) correct?

We first need to make sure that the meter(s) we are dealing with are correct (mistakes can sometimes be made, meaning the wrong MSN is listed on an account).

Where can I find the serial number on a smart meter?

Electricity meter:

The MSN for an electricity smart meter can be found to the left of the keypad. It will begin with 14P, 15P, 16P, etc.

Gas meter:

The MSN for a gas smart meter can be found directly below the keypad. It will begin with G4P and end with 1400, 1500, 1600, etc.

2. Is there a WAN connection?

Check the electricity meter and confirm what the LED light labelled 'WAN' is doing.

If the light is flashing, the meter has WAN. Please check how many times the light flashes between pauses.

One flash between pauses means very low signal, five means great signal. If the light is solid, there's no WAN.

Here are a list of questions you may be asked, if your meter has no or poor WAN:

1. How strong is the mobile phone signal next to your meter?
  2. Is there anything metallic in the way of the meter which could be moved?
  3. If the meter has something metallic blocking the signal - for instance a mirror or an ironing board - then moving this may solve the problem.
  4. Is your electricity meter in a metal box (e.g a metal meter cupboard)? 
  5. Is your electricity meter in a basement, or is it partially enclosed (e.g in a closed cupboard under the stairs)?

3. Is there a HAN connection?

To check gas connectivity, we need to find out whether your gas smart meter is connected to the Home Area Network (HAN).

What is the word 'HAN' doing on the screen of the gas meter?

• Check the digital screen on the gas smart meter. The word HAN will be in the bottom corner.
  • If the word HAN is solid, the gas meter is connected to the HAN so there is no gas meter connectivity issue.

4. Are the meter(s) commissioned?

In order for either meter to be able to communicate with us, it needs a WAN connection and it needs to have been commissioned.

How do you know if the smart meter(s) have been commissioned?

• Press '0' on the meter's keypad. (This applies for both the electricity and gas.)
  • If a meter has been commissioned correctly, the meter display will begin to cycle through various screens; starting with the date and time.
  • If a meter has not been commissioned, displayed on the screen will be 'COMMISSION - YES OR NO'. (This will be abbreviated.)

Please include a link to this topic so the advisor can see this IHD screenshot!

Userlevel 1

My in home display hasn’t worked since it was installed. I have tried several times to call customer service and have been put on hold or the call just gets rejected. No idea how much im spending and have been cut off twice because there is no way to check the balance. Awful service. The balance on the new terrible app is out of date by about 2 days and i have no idea why the old app was ditched as it seemed to show an up to date balance and worked ok. Time for U Switch i feel. Not that this unprofessional outfit will care. 

Userlevel 2

I did all that over the weekend by phone and email.

Why are you disconnecting me?

Phone: "I don't know".

Email: 'To be honest, we don't know why it happen'.

'YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE NON-DISCONNECT ON THE VIEW APP' (All in caps)

These were their answers. I couldn't get a straight answer to anything I asked.

I was promised a call by the Escalation Team for Monday. They didn't ring.

Boost South Africa haven't a clue. But no doubt they are poorly paid and trained and this is the result.

​​​​

Userlevel 3

I've ordered one. My priority is to stop Boost cutting me off with zero notice.

@DuncanPoundcake if you are able to get through to the customer service team, ask them to raise your complaint. You'll get a call back within 48 hours.

Point out that your loss of service has negatively effected you, any sort of issues it has caused (for example my last power cut happened during a Windows update on my laptop and I had to rollback and reinstall, took a whole day to correct), and make sure that you point out that the reasons for the fuel cut outs are because they have not provided you with an adequate service and way to manage and check your balance.

You should be entitled to compensation, which won't be a definite fix for the cut outs. But at least if you get 10 pound balance for free on each account it should last a couple of days without a chance of disruption whilst you wait for the IHD. 

Userlevel 2

I've ordered one. My priority is to stop Boost cutting me off with zero notice.

Userlevel 3

I've been cut off twice now with out warning. Once during the disconnect period - 7:15pm Friday and just now. My meter had credit in it this morning and has just disconnected. I can't sit by meter every day waiting for it to run out of credit.

Why is this happening? 

@DuncanPoundcake

Definitely request an IHD of you have your metres in a place where you can have the IHD on display near them. 

The IHD updates constantly and is definitely better than relying on the abysmal app. It won't guarantee you great service, but will hopefully give you a better idea of your balance.

For what it's worth, as I'm no expert, my gas metre didn't give me a reading on my app until it connected to an IHD. My first 24 hours only showed electric on both, but when the IHD connected it showed up with gas.

I don't think the IHD is essential, but it certainly helped me. The IHD (and Tim on here) have probably been the only things of any use since the changeover.