News

APP UPDATE - View your Smart PAYG balance online

APP UPDATE - View your Smart PAYG balance online
Userlevel 5
Badge

Updated on 06/10/21 by Tim_Boost:

Since the launch of the new app, we’ve had a lot of feedback from customers that the ability to view your balance online was missed.

It was really helpful for those that can’t easily access the meters, those unable to read their In-Home Displays very well, or those that are away from home a lot.

We’ve listened to all these helpful comments, and have implemented the ability to view your balance on the app once again!

This should show just below your top up numbers, like the picture below. It’ll give you a snapshot as of midnight, just as the previous app did.

RAC5wUPUkbp_oD8koWBb65-qyAbWIjh5qJk8vryz0LmexZiuSJMw3b3gbzXlUQrEZHAs8u9-fdSOc-3NwgMs3RsTVDQNsUYoc7P2k9RFoPTj-eI2X7a1nHFPLnprUc3kYFl_FvI

You can also access Smart PAYG via a browser here, but the app balance feature isn’t available on the browser currently.

My energy balance on PAYG Smart FAQs

Will I be able to see my balance in the new Boost Top-up app?

Yes, but it might take up to 3 days to show after downloading the app for the first time. Your balance will be updated each day after midnight. That said, if your meters aren't communicating with us frequently, your balance might not show at all – or be out of date.

Why isn’t the balance showing on my app?

It could be that you don’t have the latest version of the Boost Top-up app. You need to download it (App Store or Google Play) and use it to top-up – your balance will then show after midnight. 

One thing to note is that your balance might take up to 3 days to show after downloading the latest version.

There’s also a chance that you can’t see your balance because the connection between us and your smart meters has dropped out, and we’re not receiving data. This might happen on some meters as we experience a few teething problems with the new app.  But rest assured, we're looking to fix them as soon as possible. You can find more about this in our troubleshooting FAQs section (below). 

Why isn’t my balance showing on the browser version of the Boost Top-up app?

The balance feature isn’t available in your internet browser yet, but it’s something we hope to add in the future.  Download the app (App Store or Google Play) or read on for alternative ways to view your balance. 

How do I view my balance on my meter or In Home Display (IHD)?

If you have a SMETS1 smart meter (the one with a keypad), press 7 on the meter’s keypad to see your balance. You can also press 5 on your meter to see how much debt you have left.

For SMETS2 smart meters (which has 2 buttons on the electricity meter and 3 buttons on the gas), such as our Aclara electricity or Flonidan gas smart meter, your balance will always display on your IHD home screen and on the screen of the meter itself. 

How do I change the default view of my IHD so it shows my balance?

Press the Menu button in the bottom right of the screen and select Settings. You can change the view of your home screen by selecting Home Screen. This will give you 4 different layouts to choose from. Use the left and right arrows to scroll through the options, including one which shows your balance.

Why is my IHD balance different from my app balance? 

The app balance gets updated once a day after midnight. If you've used energy since midnight or if you've topped up since the time your energy balance updated on your app, then your app balance will be out of date. 

If your meter isn’t communicating with us, then your balance won't update in the app. But the IHD will communicate from your meter throughout the day to stay up to date.

Can I check the balance directly on my meter?

This depends on the type of meter you have. A SMETS1 (the one with a keypad) or a SMETS2 (which has 2 buttons on the electricity meter and 3 buttons on the gas).

If you have a SMETS1

• Press 7 on the meter to see your credit

• Press 5 to check your debt balance

If you have a SMETS2

• You’ll always see how much credit you have on your In-Home Display (IHD) screen, rather than on the meter itself

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS1 meter

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

A SMETS1 meter has a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it’ll just have the 2 red and blue buttons, but no keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my meter or IHD?

It’s normal for smart meters to lose signal from time to time, just like mobile phones. This means it might take longer than usual for your top-up to show up as energy credit. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to see your top-ups on your meter, but you can always add them manually too. Read on for more info. 

How do I top up my SMETS1 meters manually?

After making a payment, it takes up to 30 minutes (for electricity) and 60 minutes (for gas) for the money to show on your meter. If it doesn’t, you can give it a little push.

For this, you’ll need the 20-digit code on your PayPoint receipt. This is why it’s always best to keep your receipts safe.

• Press on your gas or electricity meter

• Enter the code from your receipt

• Tap B to confirm and it’s all done!

If you top up online or via your app, PayPoint will either email them to you or send them via text.

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on, so make sure all gas appliances are off before trying to reconnect. If the meter has disconnected, you can reconnect it by pressing AAB (SMETS1) or holding and B at the same time (SMETS2).

Why did my SMETS1 meter cut out without using emergency credit first? 

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD

When your balance drops below £5, your IHD will flash and tell you that you can activate the emergency credit. If you don’t, it’ll then flash again when your balance is below 50p:

• Navigate to the main menu

• Click on Account

• Press the  emergency credit button

(You’ll find more detailed information on what to do in your IHD booklet.)

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter:

• Press the 7 on the keypad

• You’ll see a message saying EC OFFER – tap A to accept the emergency credit or B to ignore

• Then tap B to confirm

• By pressing 7 you’ll see whether the credit has been activated – it’ll tell you EC SELECTED

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS2 meter

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

You can tell if you’ve got a SMETS1 meter, as it will have a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it will just have the 2 red and blue buttons, keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my SMETS2 meter or IHD?

Smart meters can stop communicating with us for a number of reasons. If your top-up hasn't appeared on your meter, follow the instructions below to add your credit manually.. 

How do I top up my SMETS2 meters manually?

There are 2 ways:

1. Using your IHD – this is the easiest and fastest way:

• Tap the menu icon at the bottom right of the screen

• Press Top-Up

• Choose the fuel you want to top up

• Press OK

• Enter your PayPoint code

• Tap OK

• The IHD will then confirm that your money has been added to your meter

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A on your meter until you see Enter Top Up Code

• Press and hold A to begin typing 

• Enter your code using the A and B buttons to navigate through the digits

• Press and hold B when complete

• The meter will show you one of these messages: Top Up accepted or Invalid

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press C on your gas meter to enter the menu

• Using and B, scroll to Prepayment and press C

• Tap A and B until you see New Payment

• Press to select it

• Use A and B to enter your code

• Tap C again

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on. If the meter has disconnected, you should be asked to press any button following a top-up to trigger a reconnection.

Why did my SMETS2 meter cut out straight away without warning? Where is my emergency credit?

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD:

If your balance drops below £5, the IHD will tell you that your emergency credit is available:

• Press the menu button

• Tap E-Credit

• Select the fuel you want emergency credit for (gas or electricity)

• Press OK

• The IHD will confirm your request

• You’ll see Emergency credit in use next to the fuel you’ve added it to

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter

For electricity:

If your balance goes below £0, your meter will say EMC available:

• Press A to cancel or B to activate it

• You should now see 2 emergency credit balances. The first is how much emergency credit you have left and the second shows how much has already been accepted

• If you select the emergency credit, you’ll see an EC sign on the display at the bottom-right corner

For gas:

• Press any button on your gas meter to wake up the screen

• If you have any emergency credit available, you’ll see an EC logo on the screen, next to the signal bar icon

• Press C to enter the menu and B to scroll to Prepayment

• Tap C to enter

• Press B to scroll down to the Emerg. Credit option, then C to enter

• If the status says Available, press C to accept the £5 emergency credit (you should hear a beep sound and the status should change to In-Use)

• You can check your emergency credit balance by going through the same menu options until you see Limit and Remaining

110 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@nicola77 are you effected by this?

I think the delay with this balance showing is due to you having an S2 smart meter. We’ve discovered that some customers with these latest smart meters see a delay of up to 3 days once the latest version of the app has been installed. 

@Gazzarooni it’s so tricky to offer advice on the pairing of your IHD. See this guide to make sure you’re aware of how to tell when it’s paired, and if we’ve missed the promised deadline, it might be worth another call when you have a sec. You’ll need to call when you’re by the IHD.

In the meantime is your balance not showing on your app?

Userlevel 1

Please please please let me see my balance?

I am TOTALLY RELIANT on knowing the balance as I am away from the address for weeks at a time and have no other way to see if i have any credit left. Has my power gone off to my house? I dont know any more. Will I return to flies festering in my defrosted food? I don't know any more. Did my pipes burst on the last freeze as my boiler needs electic to work? Who Knows - nobody cares?

I am yet another one who cannot see there balance in either the app or on-line on my desk top - yes I have the latest app, deleted and re-installed it and have waited 7 days now.

The only thing the app is any good for is sending you guys money!. The old app was working perfectly and sending reads and updating balance all on its own so it is also not a "Signal problem" and not a "meter probplem" or any other kind of problem other than a problem your end. A problem that seems to have affected hundreds of your customers and is therfore something that needs rectifying your end, not our end.

I have contacted cutomer services and still no reply.

6 years a customer with no problems on previous app, then a new app and it must be our fault?

My electricity meter is settled half-hourly (profile class 00) and is sending half hour communications as is set up (incorrectly by you guys) as a 00 class supply on the national database (ECOES).

Please please please let me see my balance?

Feelings: Another company ugrade that just hasn't worked.
Suggestion: Stop the switching process untill the new system works? (will never happen as customers don't count)

Name: John - Already sent in private message and email
Account number: Already sent in private message and email
Address: Already sent in private message and email
email: Already sent in private message and email

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Jj Kidman 

You’ve shared so much info here, it’s really appreciated as it helps to give you the most accurate advice. 

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been effected by this issue and I can understand and appreciate how being away from home means seeing the balance on the app is super important. 

The following elements to check when not seeing the balance showing on the app:

• Have you topped up on the app yet? Sometimes this can fix an issue.
  • Have you got a communicating smart meter sending readings every half an hour: Yes in your case John.
  • Is the app the most up to date version? Yes in your case John.
  • Are you able to see it on an alternative device? In your case, you can’t see the balance on the app or browser , so this isn’t it. 
  • Have you got a SMETS2 (S2) smart meter model? This is a known issue being worked on at the moment. 

Are you able to confirm the first and last bullet point there, John?

my Boost app is not showing the Electric account reading and the IHD is not showing the balance on the Gas and what is my CIN for electric and Gas,

signed up for this Boost service on the 9th April and have still not been re-credited the amounts £9.23 on Gas and £7.86 on Electric the engineer said it would take 5 days, so far I am not impressed with this change to Smart meters, BOOST, give me a boost and sort out all my ISSUES quickly please

Userlevel 1

So had a IHD sent out in January multiple phone calls & promises of emails and the iOS app that still won’t show balance 

rung today top up didn’t hit my electric meter told them my frustration of not being able to see balance or top up 

kept on hold for 45mins for line to go Dead it’s a joke I’d hate to be someone who started trying to start this today 

it’s time we got assistance 

need serious help 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @kered and @Martyn2506 - thanks for sharing these images. 

These are possible reasons you can’t see your electricity meter balance on the app:

• You need to have the latest version of the ‘Boost Top Up’ app and have made a top up using this latest app version, to have this balance feature available from that midnight onwards.
  • For some customers, the balance feature won’t show on the ‘Boost Top Up’ app till up to 3 days after the latest version of the app has been installed.
  • Some customers with ‘S2’ smart meters may see a longer delay till their balance shows. This is being worked on. 

I must say I haven’t seen this ‘Customer Identification Number’ display, it might be because this should happen when the IHD is first ‘paired’ with the smart meter. 

If you get smart meter fitted, the engineer who fits them should provide an IHD and open up the smart meter network, pairing the IHD there and then. If you’re sent an IHD, you need to call us when you’re next to your IHD, so that a Support agent can open that smart meter and work with you to get the device paired. If this hasn’t been done yet, give us a call when you can: 0330 102 7517.

Userlevel 1

My app has stopped working again, boost have told me my meters aren't talking back, I was starting the steps they sent to check the meters distance etc.

I found on my version 2 electric smart meter pressing button A (blue coloured), let's me scroll through and shows my balance, I've just checked it again my topping up £10 and watched the meter accept it

Gas meter button A also scrolls through and shows the balance. 

I know these must be correct as I asked boost yesterday when I called to ask how credit I had and it matches there about

So my meter is talking correctly, problem must be the app

I hope this helps someone 

Userlevel 1

The balace on the meters is current from this evening 29/4/21, as you can see the app isnt updating

Also, my IHD is not paired as I’m still waiting for this to happen

Userlevel 2

The new app is RUBBISH! Total step backwards and massive loss of functionality! Whoever approved this needs to give their head a wobble. I registered my bank cars in the new app and they took £00.01 from my account WITHOUT warning or ASKING. It might only be a penny, but taking money without consent is theft! Disgraceful and disgusting behaviour! I will be changing suppliers asap! There was NO problem with the old system, they have just RUINED it! Why?!?!?!?!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for sharing this, @paulwavertree - nice one for working out how to get your live balance to show on the smart meter (it sounds like an Aclara S2 meter). It’s handy to have this option whilst that IHD isn’t connected. Give us a call to get this done: 0330 102 7517. 

The app will show a snapshot of your meter balance as of midnight that morning. So it should be a bit behind, but ultimately if the meters can communicate with our systems (via a network called ‘Wide area network’), then we’ll get sent your readings and the app balance will update the next midnight. 

@MD1980 I have a feeling this 1p might be a transaction that’s made in order to confirm the connection between that and the app, effectively just checking that the payment details are correct… I remember this happened to me once when I attempted to buy petrol from one of those self serve petrol pumps. 

I’ll get this checked though!

Userlevel 2

@Tim_Boost regardless of what this is. It was taken without my knowledge or consent! Its theft! How dare any company think its ok to behave like this! I suggest someone needs to call me ASAP to discuss this... do not fob me off with a generic response...

Userlevel 1

I've called about 8 times regarding the IHD and get told 7 - 10 days

The phone support and email support isn't helping, the app is broken

I'm going to move as I don't have time in my life to waste trying to sort this out when I shouldn't need to

I'm currently checking my balance on the meters themselves and topping up using the app that shows my balance from last month 

It's a farce. I called to pair my ihd on Saturday was told it was all done and it could take 24 hours to show my usage on the ihd. It's now Monday evening and still blank. I'm sick of trying to get through on the phone now. 

The old app was great. Did everything that was needed. Now it's gone and they have forced this rubbish new app on us and then try calling it payg smart. If this is the smart version then I would hate to see the dumb version 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Some really negative experiences being outlined here, so sorry to hear this. Some things to unpack which might help. 

@Jf51 it’s good to hear that IHD has been paired on Saturday. Here’s some tips to troubleshoot an IHD that won’t display your balance and usage:

1 - Check the distance to the electricity meter, has the IHD been moved? 

Try to keep the IHD within a max of 7 yards from the electricity meter. The signal will decline significantly with walls.

2 -  Has the IHD shown data previously or has anything changed e.g. obstructions?

If the IHD was previously showing data, check if anything has changed in the home that could have caused the loss of communication.

3 - Is the IHD showing the correct time?

If it's not showing the correct time, the IHD is not paired.

4 - IHD6: Check the signal bars

Signal bars solid > IHD is paired.
Signal bars flashing > Needs to be paired by our Support team 

5 - Try turning off for several minutes before turning back on.

@MD1980 I totally get where you’re coming from. I’m still trying to confirm if this 1p validation is a thing we know about. Just bear in mind this is topping up your meter balance, and in theory any credit in your account is able to be refunded. That said, confidence that we’re not going to take payments from this bank account at random is essential, so I’ll come back here when I have an update on this. 

Userlevel 2

Some really negative experiences being outlined here, so sorry to hear this. Some things to unpack which might help. 

@Jf51 it’s good to hear that IHD has been paired on Saturday. Here’s some tips to troubleshoot an IHD that won’t display your balance and usage:

Try to keep the IHD within a max of 7 yards from the electricity meter. The signal will decline significantly with walls.

2 -  Has the IHD shown data previously or has anything changed e.g. obstructions?

If the IHD was previously showing data, check if anything has changed in the home that could have caused the loss of communication.

@MD1980 I totally get where you’re coming from. I’m still trying to confirm if this 1p validation is a thing we know about. Just bear in mind this is topping up your meter balance, and in theory any credit in your account is able to be refunded. That said, confidence that we’re not going to take payments from this bank account at random is essential, so I’ll come back here when I have an update on this. 

It is NOT topping up my balance! It was just taken into Boost's bank account!

The ihd has the wrong time on it. So from what you have written it isn't paired despite me calling,spending ages waiting and being told it is paired. So I have to do it all again?  Great what a pleasure.  Another couple of hours listening to the same music and messages.  I tried the callback option last time,can you guess how that went ? 

Power has gone off 2nd time now in past 5days!! have tried topping up using app it’s took £40 pending out my bank can’t see an available balance anywhere on app so I cant see what’s going on?? I’m now 166 in a queue 😡 been nothing but bother since it’s changed over really not happy definitely moving suppliers after this phone call have had enough!! 

Userlevel 1

Think this app is going to break boost old app worked fine, what's the reason for the change?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Ahhh what a pain, @Jf51 - as you say it doesn’t sound like the IHD has been paired yet. When you’re next at home, give us a call to get this done: 0330 102 7517.

@Zoe1984 so sorry to hear this, it sounds like the top up didn’t reach the Smart PAYG app balance. If you’re confident the credit has reached the meters but you’re still off supply, see this thread:

For both of you, I know that we had long wait times yesterday with lots of customers calling in after a long bank holiday weekend. It’s really not a good experience and we’re working hard to restore usual levels of service. Our lines are in a better position today. Really sorry about your experience yesterday. 

Please can someone help with regard to the IDH unit not working, no reply correspondence from BOOST and I have no way of seeing the usage on the SMART meter.

I have been having issues, like eveyone else, reagarding the new app. However, my IHD does not work, there is no information on it to read and so I cant even use that to see my usage or how much credit I have. The meter is an Aclara and has the blue and orange buttons. When I have pressed the buttons, as recomended on many online websites now, nothing happens; there is no text on the screen and no way to see usage (a single red light flashes intermitently, followed by the the green lights - SW, HAN and WAN, approx every 5 seconds)

I have attempted to contact BOOST via telephone multiple times today and the automated service shuts me off once i press the relevant number to progress. No one is responding to my emails and I have been waiting more than the recomended time frame.

I have no way of knowing if the smart meter is working to get the readings to BOOST, if the IHD and smart meter are linked or what I am supposed to do next. Feel I have tried everything to this point. 

And the kicker is, if i want to change supplier, they want a meter reading…. i cant get one from the smart meter as the display and buttons dont work…. so what do i do.

Feeling pretty fed up and miserable with BOOST now and have stopped recomending the company to others.

Userlevel 3

So, despite promises to the contrary in a myriad of phone calls, lets see what Boost has failed to do.

1. promised that the changeover would be quick, easy, in the morning and not affect service… i didnt get the new app until the evening, but suspect i was swapped over at mid day as our power and gas both went off then.
  2.  Was informed that the app, and online account, would both show my current credit. Neither of which do. There’s no credit anywhere, and as such, for however long this takes to fix I am going to need to keep topping up.
  3.  We had £40 of credit on the previous metres. We were told this will transfer straight to the new accounts. Given that we were cut off during the changeover, I’m going to assume we were not given our money… but how can I tell? there’s no bloody credit reading on App, website, or IHD, and my metres are totally inaccessible.
  4. Phoned for help. waited over an hour. got hung up on.

So thats been great (/s). Been using the new app this afternoon, its the same as the TV license one. It’s crap. Its really easy to make a payment, but just like the TVL one, you are incapable of receiving any useful information at all, such as current license, money ower and due etc for TVL… or credit, usage breakdown, shared billing for BOOST

Absolute disaster of a company, desperate to cut costs, so release a new APP to ‘streamline’ services for customers and make everything much easier… really do it to avoid the running costs of the previous app, and make a new app that actually makes everything less streamlined. Claim ignorance when its borught up to them for the whole year before hand.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @RebeccaMS and thanks for outlining your situation in details, it means I’m able to offer some tangible advice here without access to your account. 

Your have a S2 Aclara smart meters. Press A three times until TOU Rate 1 appears to confirm a meter reading.

As for the In Home Display (IHD), my first thought is to get you to check if it’s ‘paired’ (linked up) to the meters. Here’s some tips to troubleshoot:

If it looks like that IHD isn’t paired, we’ll need a call to our Support team again. If you're having trouble getting through on our 0330 1027517 number, please try this one instead: 0117 370 1041.

Just out of interest, are you calling from a Three or Vodafone mobile provider? We're aware there might be an issue with these providers and being able to get through our 0330 number.

Hope this helps!

Hi @psychoduck 

1.  Was informed that the app, and online account, would both show my current credit. Neither of which do. There’s no credit anywhere, and as such, for however long this takes to fix I am going to need to keep topping up.

FYI: Why isn’t the balance showing on my app?

• You need to have the latest version of the ‘Boost Top Up’ app and have made a top up using this latest app version, to have this balance feature available from that midnight onwards.
  • For some customers, the balance feature won’t show on the ‘Boost Top Up’ app till up to 3 days after the latest version of the app has been installed.
  • Some customers with ‘S2’ smart meters may see a longer delay till their balance shows. This is being worked on. 

1.  We had £40 of credit on the previous metres. We were told this will transfer straight to the new accounts. Given that we were cut off during the changeover, I’m going to assume we were not given our money… but how can I tell? there’s no bloody credit reading on App, website, or IHD, and my metres are totally inaccessible.

You should be able to see the balance on your IHD. See the info at the top of my message for working out if the IHD is paired. If it is paired, you can get the balance to show on the home screen. 

Choosing Your Home Screen Layout

From SETTINGS you can also change the view of your home screen according to your personal preference by selecting HOME screen. This option will give you four different home screen layouts to choose from. Use the left and right arrows to scroll through the options. Once you have chosen the screen view you prefer, press SET to save the settings. 

1. Phoned for help. waited over an hour. got hung up on.

Really sorry to hear this. My message earlier up outlines that we are having issues with some network providers, but this number shouldn’t be having any issues: 0117 370 1041.  

Hope this helps!

Thank you Tim_Boost.

I have tried all those suggestions prior to reaching out to the forum. Thank you for the alternative number, I am on Sky mobile but will try the other number now.

I have moved the unit closer to the meter, tried on/off, signal bars remain and the time is correct.

All indications show it is paired. And as for the meter itself, the screen remains blank when pressing any of the buttons (in any order or as many times) as indicated by yourself or by others.

I've been using you since it was OVO, never had any complaints everything has always worked great, now you have changed to this new app and wow its rubbish, doesn't show my balance ive deleted and reinstalled the app 3 times, my IHD keeps saying connection lost, when you transfered my balance to this new system you put all the credit onto the gas so when i got home yesterday from work the electricity had been cut off, customer services said the IHD wil always show the balance, how does that help me when I'm at work? i do not like this new app at all, i will be looking for a new supplier this new system is a joke!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I have moved the unit closer to the meter, tried on/off, signal bars remain and the time is correct.

All indications show it is paired. And as for the meter itself, the screen remains blank when pressing any of the buttons (in any order or as many times) as indicated by yourself or by others.

Thanks for confirming, @RebeccaMS - I’m very curious to hear that the smart meter display remains blank even when you use those display buttons. What was the result of the last call? I’d be inclined to think we might be dealing with a fault here but it’s obviously guess work from here…

@KimS see the info below for why that smart meter balance isn’t showing on your app straight away:

• You need to have the latest version of the ‘Boost Top Up’ app and have made a top up using this latest app version, to have this balance feature available from that midnight onwards.
  • For some customers, the balance feature won’t show on the ‘Boost Top Up’ app till up to 3 days after the latest version of the app has been installed.

@KimS do you have an Aclara S2 smart meter that looks like this?