News

APP UPDATE - View your Smart PAYG balance online

APP UPDATE - View your Smart PAYG balance online

Show first post

110 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for doing those checks, @psychoduck - if your gas meter balance updated following that £5 top up, it shows the gas meter is connected to the electric meter via the HAN, and that we can communicate with both via the WAN. That’s good news. What’s got me confused is why your usage isn’t being deducted. 

The fact that you can see your meter balance tells me the meter probably is in the correct prepayment setting, but I’d like to make sure. Now is not the time for guesswork. Would you be able to give us a call when at home to get this checked: 0330 102 7517 (0117 370 1041 from a mobile)?

@Meggie21 what a pain to hear that In Home Display hasn’t arrived yet, not to mention your call getting disconnected. Fill out this form to order yours one more time. I’m also aware of some issues calling our 0330 number. 0117 370 1041 has worked for those effected. But fill out that form to save yourself having to call, although the team are in both days of this weekend if you need help or advice that we can’t offer here. :) 

Userlevel 1

So I am really unimpressed with this app.

Got changed over with no support.

I ordered an IHD in March and still have not received one. I have updated and uninstalled the app numerous times and still cannot see my balance.

I have phoned repeatedly waiting for hours only to be hung up on.

I am not happy.

I’m sorry but this new app is absolutely terrible,the old one was 100 times better,since switching to this not fit for purpose app I’ve had my electricity cut off twice,never happened before once on the old better system,useless is being nice

Userlevel 3

@Tim_Boost I’ve been to my metre, which is not easy at all… part of the reason I dont like the new account is that I can see me needing to look at the metres far more often, which is really hard for a disabled person when the metre is behind furniture that needs moving, and also on the floor so I need to get right down to read it.

Anyway, there is no ‘HAN’ flashing or otherwise on my gas metre screen, so I pressed ‘c’ and went through the options, and found the HAN menu, which let me know that the HAN is connected.

I added an extra £5 to the account, see if that would kick start something, but nothing changed. My IHD now reads £21, the metre itself reads £21 (and shows I have £5 EMC, and it is not being used), and my gas is still on after the friendly time frame as the heating has just come on. My IHD is claiming I’ve used 3p so far for GAS, and in total yesterday was 11p again.

There’s obviously some connection, because both IHD and Metre match each other, and update identically at the same time. This is all very familiar to what happened with me at Scottish Power. They kept charging me 5p a day, I kept reporting it, asking for help, and they insisted it was not an issue and would sort itself out and I didn’t need to do anything. Then they suddenly decided I’d been using £5 a day (my actual use was £1-ish) and as it had been 2 years, I got a bill for £3500 which they ‘graciously’ lowered to £2500. I had to go court to have that fixed (I’d paid my actual bill, because I was still topping up my usual amount). I don’t feel great that I left Scottish Power over that issue, joined OVO, and got moved to boost, and now 4 years later I’m getting a very similar issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for outlining this in so much detail, @psychoduck - this really helps give me a chance of offering some actually useful info. :)

You need to use this URL, and the same log in details, to access your Smart PAYG account online: https://boostpayments.paypoint.com/Energy

If you can access the app using those login details, and top up etc, you can do it on the browser version. 

As for your gas meter balance, there’s a chance that the meter hasn’t been able to communicate your meter readings to the electricity meter (via the ‘Home Area Network’ HAN), which would then send this to us via the ‘Wide Area Network’ (WAN). If this happens, we don’t get sent your usage info and your balance isn’t deducted as a result. See the gas meter display screen and look for a HAN - is it flashing or solid (you need to wake up the screen by pressing a button). 

That doesn’t explain why it’s suggesting your gas meter would be in emergency credit. But ‘Friendly Gas Service’ would be the non disconnect setting that’s in place for all smart meters whenever our Support team is closed. So that’s 8pm-8am on weekdays, and this non disconnection period is also on Saturday and Sunday. 

@KimS yes it can be a pain to use the IHD to see your balance when your smart meter isn’t near an area of the home that’s convenient. But that's why we also show the balance on your app, which lets you see a snapshot from first thing that day, which you can see anywhere on your phone or PC. 

@Jules10 this is an odd one, as I’d always expect the actual real-time balance to be slightly lower then that showing on the app (unless you’re an eager beaver checking it just at midnight). I just can’t think of how this is possible, with the app balance being based on your smart meter usage, via your readings. The same thing that the balance on the smart meter display uses. Are you able to flag this to our Support team: 0330 102 7517. 

Keen to hear what the cause of that is, and if it relates to what @psychoduck is reporting with their gas meter….

My balance on my app is totally wrong example according to the app as of 12.00 11/5/2021 my electric balance was £9.43 but when I checked the meter my actual balance was £11.51 same problem with the gas, the app is totally useless and I am still waiting for my IHD.

Userlevel 3

Why have you changed it to this new so call smart pay as you go?

During a previous thread of all the complaints about moving to the new 'smart' plan, it was very much hinted that the reason was because the old format was expensive to run (don't know if that's the tech team and the app support required, or if it was accounts team using more resources to work with one bill instead of splitting them) do a new app was needed, that would be easier to manage payments for customers and streamline everything.

The new app is cheap, and not fit for purpose, and clearly made by the people who make the TV license app...its the same layout, icons and everything. So instead of an app designed for a service, it's a generic app running alongside the service provided by Boost. So it needs to be simple to avoid complications... And it's still not managed to do it.

Someone from the team admitted on the phone before, and on here too I think, that they don't like the new app because they've got to retrain to work with it. Which must have a cost attached... So who knows how much cheaper this app is to run as a service, instead of the older one, but it must be a lot if they can change to save money and don't mind retraining staff and annoying a whole group of customers

I've just read that i need to keep the IHD within 7 yards of the meter, how the heck am i supposed to that? i live in an old council house and the bathroom is down stairs, i have a tiny space between the bathroom, stairs and living room, my only option is upstairs in the bedroom, no wonder it doesnt work, i think this new system is ridiculous the old app was fine and never had any problems.  Why have you changed it to this new so call smart pay as you go?

Userlevel 3

Ok, new day, new issues.

My IHD now shows my credit accurately (hooray)
My App shows my credit, as of midnight that morning (bit crap, but at least it works I guess)

I had £15.68 credit in Electric, £16.72 in Gas.

I used £2.60 Electic. it went to £13.08.  No issues.
I apparently used just 11p in Gas. Today, so far I have used 6p (despite heating being on, and obviously having a standing charge)

I still have £16.55 in Gas, if i go through my IHD options and go to top ups, it confirms I have made a top up on Electric, but says none on Gas (despite it being £10 more, so it did accept it)… and now it keeps giving me an alert to let me know that ‘Friendly Gas service is active’

Which, having never had it before, I have had to search to find out that it’s the term for your emergency credit and I will be racking up a debt for this? You’re clearly undercharging me, you’re clearly not charging me the standing charge, and your gas service is clearly screwing something up for me if it knows I have £16 but thinks I need emergency credit.

So how do I fix this now? preferably without calling and being put on hold for an hour and being hung up on. thanks

EDIT: Also, I was told I could see my account on the website and top up there too… I cant. If I log in to my account, it keeps telling me im on PAYG+ now, and that I need the new app. I literally cant view anything but that page, no matter what I click.

So I guess thats another service removed by this brilliant upgrade.

No meter doesn't look like that

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I have moved the unit closer to the meter, tried on/off, signal bars remain and the time is correct.

All indications show it is paired. And as for the meter itself, the screen remains blank when pressing any of the buttons (in any order or as many times) as indicated by yourself or by others.

Thanks for confirming, @RebeccaMS - I’m very curious to hear that the smart meter display remains blank even when you use those display buttons. What was the result of the last call? I’d be inclined to think we might be dealing with a fault here but it’s obviously guess work from here…

@KimS see the info below for why that smart meter balance isn’t showing on your app straight away:

Why isn’t the balance showing on my app?

• You need to have the latest version of the ‘Boost Top Up’ app and have made a top up using this latest app version, to have this balance feature available from that midnight onwards.
  • For some customers, the balance feature won’t show on the ‘Boost Top Up’ app till up to 3 days after the latest version of the app has been installed.
  • Some customers with ‘S2’ smart meters may see a longer delay till their balance shows. This is being worked on. 

@KimS do you have an Aclara S2 smart meter that looks like this? 

I've been using you since it was OVO, never had any complaints everything has always worked great, now you have changed to this new app and wow its rubbish, doesn't show my balance ive deleted and reinstalled the app 3 times, my IHD keeps saying connection lost, when you transfered my balance to this new system you put all the credit onto the gas so when i got home yesterday from work the electricity had been cut off, customer services said the IHD wil always show the balance, how does that help me when I'm at work? i do not like this new app at all, i will be looking for a new supplier this new system is a joke!!

Thank you Tim_Boost.

I have tried all those suggestions prior to reaching out to the forum. Thank you for the alternative number, I am on Sky mobile but will try the other number now.

I have moved the unit closer to the meter, tried on/off, signal bars remain and the time is correct.

All indications show it is paired. And as for the meter itself, the screen remains blank when pressing any of the buttons (in any order or as many times) as indicated by yourself or by others.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @RebeccaMS and thanks for outlining your situation in details, it means I’m able to offer some tangible advice here without access to your account. 

Your have a S2 Aclara smart meters. Press A three times until TOU Rate 1 appears to confirm a meter reading.

As for the In Home Display (IHD), my first thought is to get you to check if it’s ‘paired’ (linked up) to the meters. Here’s some tips to troubleshoot:

1 - Check the distance to the electricity meter, has the IHD been moved? 

Try to keep the IHD within a max of 7 yards from the electricity meter. The signal will decline significantly with walls.

2 -  Has the IHD shown data previously or has anything changed e.g. obstructions?

If the IHD was previously showing data, check if anything has changed in the home that could have caused the loss of communication.

3 - Is the IHD showing the correct time?

If it's not showing the correct time, the IHD is not paired.

4 - IHD6: Check the signal bars

Signal bars solid > IHD is paired.
Signal bars flashing > Needs to be paired by our Support team 

5 - Try turning off for several minutes before turning back on.

If it looks like that IHD isn’t paired, we’ll need a call to our Support team again. If you're having trouble getting through on our 0330 1027517 number, please try this one instead: 0117 370 1041.

Just out of interest, are you calling from a Three or Vodafone mobile provider? We're aware there might be an issue with these providers and being able to get through our 0330 number.

Hope this helps!

Hi @psychoduck 

1.  Was informed that the app, and online account, would both show my current credit. Neither of which do. There’s no credit anywhere, and as such, for however long this takes to fix I am going to need to keep topping up.

FYI: Why isn’t the balance showing on my app?

• You need to have the latest version of the ‘Boost Top Up’ app and have made a top up using this latest app version, to have this balance feature available from that midnight onwards.
  • For some customers, the balance feature won’t show on the ‘Boost Top Up’ app till up to 3 days after the latest version of the app has been installed.
  • Some customers with ‘S2’ smart meters may see a longer delay till their balance shows. This is being worked on. 

1.  We had £40 of credit on the previous metres. We were told this will transfer straight to the new accounts. Given that we were cut off during the changeover, I’m going to assume we were not given our money… but how can I tell? there’s no bloody credit reading on App, website, or IHD, and my metres are totally inaccessible.

You should be able to see the balance on your IHD. See the info at the top of my message for working out if the IHD is paired. If it is paired, you can get the balance to show on the home screen. 

Choosing Your Home Screen Layout

From SETTINGS you can also change the view of your home screen according to your personal preference by selecting HOME screen. This option will give you four different home screen layouts to choose from. Use the left and right arrows to scroll through the options. Once you have chosen the screen view you prefer, press SET to save the settings. 

1. Phoned for help. waited over an hour. got hung up on.

Really sorry to hear this. My message earlier up outlines that we are having issues with some network providers, but this number shouldn’t be having any issues: 0117 370 1041.  

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 3

So, despite promises to the contrary in a myriad of phone calls, lets see what Boost has failed to do.

1. promised that the changeover would be quick, easy, in the morning and not affect service… i didnt get the new app until the evening, but suspect i was swapped over at mid day as our power and gas both went off then.
  2.  Was informed that the app, and online account, would both show my current credit. Neither of which do. There’s no credit anywhere, and as such, for however long this takes to fix I am going to need to keep topping up.
  3.  We had £40 of credit on the previous metres. We were told this will transfer straight to the new accounts. Given that we were cut off during the changeover, I’m going to assume we were not given our money… but how can I tell? there’s no bloody credit reading on App, website, or IHD, and my metres are totally inaccessible.
  4. Phoned for help. waited over an hour. got hung up on.

So thats been great (/s). Been using the new app this afternoon, its the same as the TV license one. It’s crap. Its really easy to make a payment, but just like the TVL one, you are incapable of receiving any useful information at all, such as current license, money ower and due etc for TVL… or credit, usage breakdown, shared billing for BOOST

Absolute disaster of a company, desperate to cut costs, so release a new APP to ‘streamline’ services for customers and make everything much easier… really do it to avoid the running costs of the previous app, and make a new app that actually makes everything less streamlined. Claim ignorance when its borught up to them for the whole year before hand.

Please can someone help with regard to the IDH unit not working, no reply correspondence from BOOST and I have no way of seeing the usage on the SMART meter.

I have been having issues, like eveyone else, reagarding the new app. However, my IHD does not work, there is no information on it to read and so I cant even use that to see my usage or how much credit I have. The meter is an Aclara and has the blue and orange buttons. When I have pressed the buttons, as recomended on many online websites now, nothing happens; there is no text on the screen and no way to see usage (a single red light flashes intermitently, followed by the the green lights - SW, HAN and WAN, approx every 5 seconds)

I have attempted to contact BOOST via telephone multiple times today and the automated service shuts me off once i press the relevant number to progress. No one is responding to my emails and I have been waiting more than the recomended time frame.

I have no way of knowing if the smart meter is working to get the readings to BOOST, if the IHD and smart meter are linked or what I am supposed to do next. Feel I have tried everything to this point. 

And the kicker is, if i want to change supplier, they want a meter reading…. i cant get one from the smart meter as the display and buttons dont work…. so what do i do.

Feeling pretty fed up and miserable with BOOST now and have stopped recomending the company to others.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Ahhh what a pain, @Jf51 - as you say it doesn’t sound like the IHD has been paired yet. When you’re next at home, give us a call to get this done: 0330 102 7517.

@Zoe1984 so sorry to hear this, it sounds like the top up didn’t reach the Smart PAYG app balance. If you’re confident the credit has reached the meters but you’re still off supply, see this thread:

For both of you, I know that we had long wait times yesterday with lots of customers calling in after a long bank holiday weekend. It’s really not a good experience and we’re working hard to restore usual levels of service. Our lines are in a better position today. Really sorry about your experience yesterday. 

Userlevel 1

Think this app is going to break boost old app worked fine, what's the reason for the change?

Power has gone off 2nd time now in past 5days!! have tried topping up using app it’s took £40 pending out my bank can’t see an available balance anywhere on app so I cant see what’s going on?? I’m now 166 in a queue 😡 been nothing but bother since it’s changed over really not happy definitely moving suppliers after this phone call have had enough!! 

The ihd has the wrong time on it. So from what you have written it isn't paired despite me calling,spending ages waiting and being told it is paired. So I have to do it all again?  Great what a pleasure.  Another couple of hours listening to the same music and messages.  I tried the callback option last time,can you guess how that went ? 

Userlevel 2

Some really negative experiences being outlined here, so sorry to hear this. Some things to unpack which might help. 

@Jf51 it’s good to hear that IHD has been paired on Saturday. Here’s some tips to troubleshoot an IHD that won’t display your balance and usage:

Try to keep the IHD within a max of 7 yards from the electricity meter. The signal will decline significantly with walls.

2 -  Has the IHD shown data previously or has anything changed e.g. obstructions?

If the IHD was previously showing data, check if anything has changed in the home that could have caused the loss of communication.

@MD1980 I totally get where you’re coming from. I’m still trying to confirm if this 1p validation is a thing we know about. Just bear in mind this is topping up your meter balance, and in theory any credit in your account is able to be refunded. That said, confidence that we’re not going to take payments from this bank account at random is essential, so I’ll come back here when I have an update on this. 

It is NOT topping up my balance! It was just taken into Boost's bank account!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Some really negative experiences being outlined here, so sorry to hear this. Some things to unpack which might help. 

@Jf51 it’s good to hear that IHD has been paired on Saturday. Here’s some tips to troubleshoot an IHD that won’t display your balance and usage:

@MD1980 I totally get where you’re coming from. I’m still trying to confirm if this 1p validation is a thing we know about. Just bear in mind this is topping up your meter balance, and in theory any credit in your account is able to be refunded. That said, confidence that we’re not going to take payments from this bank account at random is essential, so I’ll come back here when I have an update on this. 

It's a farce. I called to pair my ihd on Saturday was told it was all done and it could take 24 hours to show my usage on the ihd. It's now Monday evening and still blank. I'm sick of trying to get through on the phone now. 

The old app was great. Did everything that was needed. Now it's gone and they have forced this rubbish new app on us and then try calling it payg smart. If this is the smart version then I would hate to see the dumb version 

Userlevel 1

I've called about 8 times regarding the IHD and get told 7 - 10 days

The phone support and email support isn't helping, the app is broken

I'm going to move as I don't have time in my life to waste trying to sort this out when I shouldn't need to

I'm currently checking my balance on the meters themselves and topping up using the app that shows my balance from last month 

Userlevel 2

@Tim_Boost regardless of what this is. It was taken without my knowledge or consent! Its theft! How dare any company think its ok to behave like this! I suggest someone needs to call me ASAP to discuss this... do not fob me off with a generic response...