News

APP UPDATE - View your Smart PAYG balance online

APP UPDATE - View your Smart PAYG balance online
Userlevel 5
Badge

Updated on 28/06/21

Since the launch of the new app, we’ve had a lot of feedback from customers that the ability to view your balance online was missed.

It was really helpful for those that can’t easily access the meters, those unable to read their In-Home Displays very well, or those that are away from home a lot.

We’ve listened to all these helpful comments, and have implemented the ability to view your balance on the app once again!

This should show just below your top up numbers, like the picture below. It’ll give you a snapshot as of midnight, just as the previous app did.

RAC5wUPUkbp_oD8koWBb65-qyAbWIjh5qJk8vryz0LmexZiuSJMw3b3gbzXlUQrEZHAs8u9-fdSOc-3NwgMs3RsTVDQNsUYoc7P2k9RFoPTj-eI2X7a1nHFPLnprUc3kYFl_FvI

You can also access Smart PAYG via a browser here, but the app balance feature isn’t available on the browser currently.

My energy balance on PAYG Smart FAQs

Will I be able to see my balance in the new Boost Top-up app?

Yes, but it might take up to 3 days to show after downloading the app for the first time. Your balance will be updated each day after midnight. That said, if your meters aren't communicating with us frequently, your balance might not show at all – or be out of date.

Why isn’t the balance showing on my app?

It could be that you don’t have the latest version of the Boost Top-up app. You need to download it (App Store or Google Play) and use it to top-up – your balance will then show after midnight. 

One thing to note is that your balance might take up to 3 days to show after downloading the latest version.

There’s also a chance that you can’t see your balance because the connection between us and your smart meters has dropped out, and we’re not receiving data. This might happen on some meters as we experience a few teething problems with the new app.  But rest assured, we're looking to fix them as soon as possible. You can find more about this in our troubleshooting FAQs section (below). 

Why isn’t my balance showing on the browser version of the Boost Top-up app?

The balance feature isn’t available in your internet browser yet, but it’s something we hope to add in the future.  Download the app (App Store or Google Play) or read on for alternative ways to view your balance. 

How do I view my balance on my meter or In Home Display (IHD)?

If you have a SMETS1 smart meter (the one with a keypad), press 7 on the meter’s keypad to see your balance. You can also press 5 on your meter to see how much debt you have left.

For SMETS2 smart meters (which has 2 buttons on the electricity meter and 3 buttons on the gas), such as our Aclara electricity or Flonidan gas smart meter, your balance will always display on your IHD home screen and on the screen of the meter itself. 

How do I change the default view of my IHD so it shows my balance?

Press the Menu button in the bottom right of the screen and select Settings. You can change the view of your home screen by selecting Home Screen. This will give you 4 different layouts to choose from. Use the left and right arrows to scroll through the options, including one which shows your balance.

Why is my IHD balance different from my app balance? 

The app balance gets updated once a day after midnight. If you've used energy since midnight or if you've topped up since the time your energy balance updated on your app, then your app balance will be out of date. 

If your meter isn’t communicating with us, then your balance won't update in the app. But the IHD will communicate from your meter throughout the day to stay up to date.

Can I check the balance directly on my meter?

This depends on the type of meter you have. A SMETS1 (the one with a keypad) or a SMETS2 (which has 2 buttons on the electricity meter and 3 buttons on the gas).

If you have a SMETS1

• Press 7 on the meter to see your credit

• Press 5 to check your debt balance

If you have a SMETS2

• You’ll always see how much credit you have on your In-Home Display (IHD) screen, rather than on the meter itself

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS1 meter

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

A SMETS1 meter has a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it’ll just have the 2 red and blue buttons, but no keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my meter or IHD?

It’s normal for smart meters to lose signal from time to time, just like mobile phones. This means it might take longer than usual for your top-up to show up as energy credit. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to see your top-ups on your meter, but you can always add them manually too. Read on for more info. 

How do I top up my SMETS1 meters manually?

After making a payment, it takes up to 30 minutes (for electricity) and 60 minutes (for gas) for the money to show on your meter. If it doesn’t, you can give it a little push.

For this, you’ll need the 20-digit code on your PayPoint receipt. This is why it’s always best to keep your receipts safe.

• Press on your gas or electricity meter

• Enter the code from your receipt

• Tap B to confirm and it’s all done!

If you top up online or via your app, PayPoint will either email them to you or send them via text.

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on, so make sure all gas appliances are off before trying to reconnect. If the meter has disconnected, you can reconnect it by pressing AAB (SMETS1) or holding and B at the same time (SMETS2).

Why did my SMETS1 meter cut out without using emergency credit first? 

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD

When your balance drops below £5, your IHD will flash and tell you that you can activate the emergency credit. If you don’t, it’ll then flash again when your balance is below 50p:

• Navigate to the main menu

• Click on Account

• Press the  emergency credit button

(You’ll find more detailed information on what to do in your IHD booklet.)

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter:

• Press the 7 on the keypad

• You’ll see a message saying EC OFFER – tap A to accept the emergency credit or B to ignore

• Then tap B to confirm

• By pressing 7 you’ll see whether the credit has been activated – it’ll tell you EC SELECTED

Troubleshooting issues with PAYG Smart and your SMETS2 meter

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

You can tell if you’ve got a SMETS1 meter, as it will have a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it will just have the 2 red and blue buttons, keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my SMETS2 meter or IHD?

Smart meters can stop communicating with us for a number of reasons. If your top-up hasn't appeared on your meter, follow the instructions below to add your credit manually.. 

How do I top up my SMETS2 meters manually?

There are 2 ways:

1. Using your IHD – this is the easiest and fastest way:

• Tap the menu icon at the bottom right of the screen

• Press Top-Up

• Choose the fuel you want to top up

• Press OK

• Enter your PayPoint code

• Tap OK

• The IHD will then confirm that your money has been added to your meter

2. Using your meter

For electricity:

• Press A on your meter until you see Enter Top Up Code

• Press and hold A to begin typing 

• Enter your code using the A and B buttons to navigate through the digits

• Press and hold B when complete

• The meter will show you one of these messages: Top Up accepted or Invalid

• Press A to continue

For gas:

• Press C on your gas meter to enter the menu

• Using and B, scroll to Prepayment and press C

• Tap A and B until you see New Payment

• Press to select it

• Use A and B to enter your code

• Tap C again

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on. If the meter has disconnected, you should be asked to press any button following a top-up to trigger a reconnection.

Why did my SMETS2 meter cut out straight away without warning? Where is my emergency credit?

1. Activate your emergency credit using your IHD:

If your balance drops below £5, the IHD will tell you that your emergency credit is available:

• Press the menu button

• Tap E-Credit

• Select the fuel you want emergency credit for (gas or electricity)

• Press OK

• The IHD will confirm your request

• You’ll see Emergency credit in use next to the fuel you’ve added it to

2. Activate your emergency credit using your meter

For electricity:

If your balance goes below £0, your meter will say EMC available:

• Press A to cancel or B to activate it

• You should now see 2 emergency credit balances. The first is how much emergency credit you have left and the second shows how much has already been accepted

• If you select the emergency credit, you’ll see an EC sign on the display at the bottom-right corner

For gas:

• Press any button on your gas meter to wake up the screen

• If you have any emergency credit available, you’ll see an EC logo on the screen, next to the signal bar icon

• Press C to enter the menu and B to scroll to Prepayment

• Tap C to enter

• Press B to scroll down to the Emerg. Credit option, then C to enter

• If the status says Available, press C to accept the £5 emergency credit (you should hear a beep sound and the status should change to In-Use)

• You can check your emergency credit balance by going through the same menu options until you see Limit and Remaining

108 replies

Userlevel 2

Doesn’t work! 

ive deleted and reinstalled several times. 
logged out and back in again and I still can’t view it. My IHD doesn’t work as in a second floor flat and too far from the meters. Can’t view the balance on the meters as they’re outside and I’m an agrophobic! Even ur customer service advisers have no idea. Awaiting a call back, which hasn’t come! I’ve never had a problem with boost/ovo and been with you for years. But I’m already looking up other suppliers to change to. Yes, I will pay more, but it’s a service that I need. 

so so disappointed 

Userlevel 1

Hi @Cls and thanks for letting us know this. 

It sounds as if the issues might due to a weak signal strength if the meters are far away from your flat. This will mean that the balance won’t update every day as scheduled. I think it’s best if you contact the team here for further help, as a smart meter health check may be required. You can find out how to do this check here. Once completed, you can forward this to our team on Facebook messenger or by phone: 0330 102 7517.

Thanks,

Alice

Userlevel 3

My app on my iPhone updated a week ago, says in the info on the App Store I should be able to view a snapshot of balance and I can’t view it at all, I have tried going to the website as linked above and still the same exact problem I cannot see a balance for either electric or gas 

Userlevel 2

It sounds as if the issues might due to a weak signal strength if the meters are far away from your flat. This will mean that the balance won’t update every day as scheduled. I think it’s best if you contact the team here for further help, as a smart meter health check may be required. You can find out how to do this check here. Once completed, you can forward this to our team on Facebook messenger or by phone: 0330 102 7517.

Thank u Alice. But as I said, I already know it’s weak signal strength! Finally after 3 days and no phone call back, I can finally view my balance on the app. I absolutely hate that I can’t view my usages. You have gone backwards with this app and I’m going to be leaving a trustpilot review based on this and the lack of customer service and knowledge. You have gone from being a fantastic provider to ones that I changed from many years ago 

Userlevel 2

My app on my iPhone updated a week ago, says in the info on the App Store I should be able to view a snapshot of balance and I can’t view it at all, I have tried going to the website as linked above and still the same exact problem I cannot see a balance for either electric or gas 

@Jammie82uk mine took three days before it finally showed on the app. The customer service team had no idea and couldn’t help. Hopefully it will show up on yours soon. I hate the new app. Can’t see you usage anymore. I really liked seeing how much I was using each day. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@Jammie82uk did you see the advice above your comment from Alice? Copied here:

What’s the signal of your meters like do you know? Any issues or delays with PAYG balance updates in the past? 

Must be frustrating, hopefully this shows up like it did for @Cls…..

Userlevel 3

What’s the signal of your meters like do you know? Any issues or delays with PAYG balance updates in the past? 

Must be frustrating, hopefully this shows up like it did for @Cls…..

Maybe you could read my comment again @Tim_Boost surprisingly I don’t have an issue with the IHD I live in a 3 bed house and the IHD is on the other side of the wall to the meter, everything displays ok on the IHD, it’s the updated app on my phone that I have had over a week that is not displaying the balance like the screenshots above suggest it should 

Userlevel 2

Must be frustrating, hopefully this shows up like it did for 

Userlevel 2

Are there any plans to reintroduce the usage breakdowns for those of us in flats who can’t get our IHD close enough to get a signal! 

Since the launch of the new app, we’ve had a lot of feedback from customers that the ability to view your balance online was missed.

It was really helpful for those that can’t easily access the meters, those unable to read their In-Home Displays very well, or those that are away from home a lot.

We’ve listened to all these helpful comments, and have implemented the ability to view your balance online once again!

This should show just below your top up numbers, like the picture below. It’ll give you a snapshot as of midnight, just as the previous app did.

RAC5wUPUkbp_oD8koWBb65-qyAbWIjh5qJk8vryz0LmexZiuSJMw3b3gbzXlUQrEZHAs8u9-fdSOc-3NwgMs3RsTVDQNsUYoc7P2k9RFoPTj-eI2X7a1nHFPLnprUc3kYFl_FvI

Some customers are getting the update automatically and seeing it straight away, but if you still can’t see it, try deleting the app, and re-installing. Make sure to choose the ‘Boost Top Up’ app, and once re-downloaded, it should appear.

b-ByqKpi7pCRyf8MIhihu3Y9uqWnPnaqSR4k4MSvgfRVjA7jHSnC4DS_gPpN1sRh6CEhY2Glwp5dKjIiP-VFJl4r2bJ_XLuf3eAfvcs_fLnTweFfGd1GJrh5q9fszj8o7-eiSB4

You can also access Smart PAYG via a browser here.

I still cannot see my balance after updating the app, and deleting it, nor can I see the balance on the in house metre. 
please advise! 

Help anyone how do i see my balance on this new app as i dont have the inhouse display yet as its being sent to me 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Jammie82uk - when I said ‘signal with the meters’ I was referring to the actual smart meters on the wall. If there’s a signal issue which means they don’t send us readings to update your balance, your balance won’t update on the app. It should be pointed out that if that happens, your meter won’t go off supply either. That’s a possible reason. Has the balance still not updated on the app since your post?

Hi @Amymoo and thanks for posting. 

If you have a ‘Secure Liberty’ smart meter (an S1 model) the credit balance is displayed on the meter screen. Just press any button to wake it up. If you have an Aclara (S2 model), the balance is only available on an IHD, or via the app.

If you’re concerned about not being able to see this balance, or if you don’t have an In Home Display (IHD), give us a call ASAP: 0330 102 7517 

Make sure you have the latest version of the app, @Plbells - it should be on the home page i.e

FYI on this app balance: as the balance is updated at midnight, if you install the app today it won't be visible until after midnight tonight

Userlevel 1

Alice_Boost wrote:

It sounds as if the issues might due to a weak signal strength if the meters are far away from your flat. This will mean that the balance won’t update every day as scheduled. I think it’s best if you contact the team here for further help, as a smart meter health check may be required. You can find out how to do this check here. Once completed, you can forward this to our team on Facebook messenger or by phone: 0330 102 7517.

Well Alice Boost I have exactly the same issue as everyone else where I cannot see the balance on the new app despite having it updated on the old app. My IHD displays updated information correctly, so It would appear rather than blaming customers for them being too far away from the meter or weak signal strength, maybe just maybe boost should take ownership of the issue properly and investigate the issues their end, as before the new app was installed I would have daily updates without issue. I can also confirm my meters are still exactly where they were, they haven't been covered in lead or been moved to Outer Mongolia.

Userlevel 1

Well I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app for the last 3 days. Its no good blaming weak signal strength or anything like that as the old app updated every day so perhaps there is a fault with the new app? 

CBBarrie 

They arent far away one is in my kitchen and the other down the bottom of stairs i dont have an in house display so it cant be the signal!! 

I cant get the new update on my app so i still dont no how much credit i have but thanks for the reply

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone - Am I right in thinking I need to have my smart metre thingy plugged in to be able to get view my balance on my app?  (I’ve had it stuck in a drawer for months as this wasn’t necessary with the previous app).

How on earth can you call this app an upgrade - its a joke!

Userlevel 1

Similar issue here, no balance in app, uninstalled and reinstalled, meter lights are green

IHD arrived about three weeks ago, called about five times to get it setup, was told on the last call to wait between 7 and 10 days and it will start working, doubt that will ever work

I'm just making random top ups now. 

Thinking this may be a good time to change supplier as not being able to see how much credit you have is daft 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi all, 

I’m just making sure I have the latest advice here for customers who aren’t able to see the balance on their app. Bear with me, I understand this might well be frustrating and I’m here to help as best I can. 

Userlevel 2

I do feel bad for the Boost customer service agents and forum admin, trying to sell that this is an app upgrade when it's clearly a huge backwards step but they can't admit it.

This new app is dreadful, there is nothing extra that can be done on this app however, they have taken away all functionality of the old app.

This seems to me to be a case of making a more basic app to force customers to do the donkey work of submitting meter readings, calculating their own usage, monitoring their own limits and topping up the emergency credit manually. 

Its the equivalent of going to the hairdresser's, paying them full price for a new hair cut and them taking the payment and handing you the scissors and telling you to cut your own hair to how you like it.

If Boost want feedback, ensure all of the things you have removed from the old app are introduced to the new one. It's preposterous to get rid of a fully functional app and replace it with something with not even a quarter of the same functions.

I am fully waiting for the Boost staff to jump on the post desperately trying to sell the fantastic abilities of this new app trying incredibly hard to please their bosses.

I'm sorry, everyone knows a lemon when they see one.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for this feedback, @Laydee - It’s clear that you prefer the functions of the PAYG+ app that aren’t present for Smart PAYG. I get that, I understand that, I can empathise. Low balance notifications, scheduled topics, these were great features. 

The Smart PAYG app doesn’t have everything that PAYG+ has, but it’s different in ways that some will prefer. For example the ‘Joint credit pot’ for gas and leccy. This ruffled lots of feathers of customers who wanted the ability to split out and prioritise. For more details on what today’s Smart PAYG app can offer, see here

I’d also like to offer help to anyone who isn’t able to see their smart meter balance on their Smart PAYG app, but who have confirmed with Customer Support that they have a smart meter that is communicating well. If you have the latest version of the app, and a smart meter that’s communicating well, sending readings at least every day, you should see a midnight snapshot of your balance on the app. If you don’t, but those other criteria are met, send me a private message (PM) with your account number, name and full address and I’ll pass on your info. 

Thanks,

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the response Tim.

Past midnight, still no values showing on the app.

This new app is in no way better than the other. If the whole point of this new app is to split the pot of gas and electric, then why couldn't this just be done on the old app.

As I said, you don't need to try and sell this awful app to me. Dress it up however you like, its still awful.

I have a smart meter, it's giving accurate readings, I have a smart phone and it works well. I have the new Boost Power app, missing most of the general features it should and what it does say it offers, it doesn't work.

Ill have to top up today as I have no idea what any of my balances are and Boost are keen to keep us in the dark. Now we have no way of knowing our balance, and without an in house display, no way of knowing our usage.  For all we know, Boost are charging us £20 a day for no reason and there's no way of us checking. Sounds legit doesn't it 🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 1

Similar issue here, no balance in app, uninstalled and reinstalled, meter lights are green

IHD arrived about three weeks ago, called about five times to get it setup, was told on the last call to wait between 7 and 10 days and it will start working, doubt that will ever work

I'm just making random top ups now. 

Thinking this may be a good time to change supplier as not being able to see how much credit you have is daft 

My app on my phone has now started displaying my balance now, happier now, in home display, still isn't working, can live with that though at the moment 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for confirming, @paulwavertree - I think the delay with this balance showing is due to you having an S2 smart meter. We’ve discovered that some customers with these latest smart meters see a delay of up to 3 days once the latest version of the app has been installed. FYI @Laydee can you let us know if it’s now showing for you as well? If it is, you’ll likely also be effected by this 3 day delay….. How annoying but hopefully it’s showing now!

Userlevel 1

I have been waiting since Friday to get my ihd paired and working. Called Friday to get it paired and she said it was done and will take 24 hours to show. After 36 hours it still wasn't paired/working. Called again and they said it didn't work and so paired it again and said to wait 10 hours. Guess what... Still not working !😡

I can’t see my balance either have ordered a smart meter will take up to 3 weeks! Please add this to my app it’s worse now I’m considering moving if this don’t get changed