pinned F.A.Q.

Switching to Boost with smart meters - FAQ

• 28 May 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

How long have I got to change my mind?
You have a 14 day cooling off period from the date you sign up with us online or with our Care Team over the phone.

When will I receive my tariff details?
You should receive a welcome pack via email or in the post within five working days of signing up.

Will credit be transferred from my previous supplier?
Credit can’t be transferred between suppliers, so if you have a smart meter, you’ll need to request a refund for any remaining credit from your previous supplier. For this reason, we’d recommend doing small top ups as you get close to the switch over date, to avoid waiting for a large amount of credit to be refunded.

When will I receive my new top up cards?
You’ll receive the new cards within five working days of your supply switching to us. Please note: This can be up to five working days AFTER your supply has switched over to us.

My meters are saying credit mode even though I’m Pay As You Go?
The night before your meters switch over to us, they’ll be switched to ‘credit’ mode, as your previous supplier will lose connection to them. It can take up to 72 hours for us to connect to the meters, so during this time, you’ll be in a credit mode to avoid going off supply. When we connect to the meters, any usage during this period will be taken off straight away.

I’ve just got one card, but I have both gas and electricity with Boost?
This means you’ve signed up to PAYG+, allowing you to top up using the app. In this mode, both the gas and electricity will share a balance, meaning you only need one card to top up with. Here’s a page with a bit more info on the differences.

I want to be able to use the app, how do I upgrade to PAYG+?
If you signed up on the standard method, this means you top up at the shop using two separate cards, one for gas and one for electricity. Further info can be found here. If you’d prefer to be able to top up using the app, or you’re signed up to PAYG+ and want to switch to Standard, just let us know. Send us an email to hello@boostpower.co.uk and we’ll get the meter mode changed remotely. Alternatively, you could get in touch via Facebook or Twitter, or call us on 0330 102 7517.

Why doesn’t my In Home Display (IHD) show my balance anymore?
There are 2 possible reasons for this.
  • You are on PAYG+. As you can use the app to see your balance, the balance will no longer show on your IHD.
  • It is in credit mode. As mentioned earlier, during the 72 hour period before we connect to your meter, you will be in a credit mode. This will show on your IHD, and will update to show your balance when connection is gained.
I haven’t got an In Home Display (IHD), will I get one from Boost?
Once you’re on supply with us, you can request a brand new IHD from our Care Team. Just get in touch via the methods above, and we can get one sent in the post to you.

Can I pay for my energy monthly instead of topping up?
We’re unable to change you to a pay monthly tariff if you’re already on Pay As You Go. There are a number of different options you can choose with PAYG+ that can make it feel a little more like a pay monthly tariff, including automatic top ups and rolling top ups. Further info on how to do this can be found here.

I’ve chosen PAYG+, but I can’t get into my app?
It can take up to 72 hours from the switch over date before your app is up and running. When it’s ready, you’ll receive an email, inviting you to set up a password. Follow the instructions and you’ll be able to log in. If it’s been over 72 hours, or you’ve received an email advising your balance is low, get in contact with us on 0330 102 7517 between 8am - 6pm and we’ll investigate. Remember, you can still use the top up card at any PayPoint in the meantime.

I’ve received my card, I can’t log in yet but I made a top up at the shop just to be safe. Why can’t I see my credit anywhere?
Don’t fret - it’s not disappeared! Your balance is available on your app home screen, so if you haven’t set up your online account, you won’t be able to see it just yet. It’ll be ready and waiting once you do log in, though.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Wwould definitely change to boost for my gas but only if I can top up using the app.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi @Nicks,

If you've got smart meters (that we're compatible with) or can have them installed, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this!

It's worth noting noting that Boost, cannot offer gas only plans, so we'd also need your electricity supply to be able to do this.

Thanks,
Userlevel 1
only need gas as already boost customer for electricity
Userlevel 4
Badge
That's great, @Nicks, just get in touch with the team and we can sort out a transfer over.

Once you're on supply with us, we can then get an appointment booked to install a smart gas meter, and add it to your online account!

You can get in touch with us at hello@boostpower.co.uk, or via our Facebook or Twitter pages: https://www.facebook.com/boostpoweruk/ or https://twitter.com/boostpoweruk.

Cheers,
Ed