F.A.Q.

Warm Home Discount FAQ

• 26 June 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
What is the Warm Home Discount?

The Warm Home Discount (WHD), is a government scheme that gives customers extra help to those who struggle with the cost of their energy. It’s a regulated process by Ofgem and if you’re eligible you’ll receive a one-off payment of £140.

Am I eligible?

There are two groups the WHD scheme is divided into, the Core group and Broader group.

Core Group - The Core Group is for customers who are in receipt of the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit. You’ll automatically receive this payment, and have a confirmation letter from the DWP (Department of Working Pensions) to let you know you don’t need to apply for this.

If you’re on supply with Boost on the on a certain date (this is to be confirmed later on in the year) then it’ll be us that makes this payment to you. If you weren’t with us, then your previous supplier will issue this payment to you. You’ll need to contact them for further details on how you’ll receive this.

Broader Group - Broader group customers will need to submit an application each year that they’re with us. We have a detailed list of what meets our eligibility criteria on our website here.

If you’re eligible, you can submit an application on our website in the Autumn.

When can I submit my application?

We open our application window in the Autumn, but you can add yourself to our pre-register.

What’s the difference between pre-register and applications?

You can register your interest on our pre-register here, this will let us know that you’d like to apply for the WHD. We’ll then send you an email to let you know when it’s time to submit your application.

Can I have it on both my gas and electric?

Last year, we gave customers the option to select which fuel they’d prefer to have their credit added to during the application process. If this wasn't select it would automatically be applied to the electric and could not be changed after. We’re hoping to be able to offer this again this year!

When will I receive the payment?

In recent years our final payment date has been the 31st March. We expect this to be the same again this year, however this will be confirmed when we open up our applications.

How do Boost pay my WHD?

It depends on what meters you have, to how you receive the payment.

Smart Meters

With smart meters we can access them remotely, which means we’ll automatically add the payment to either your PAYG+ all online account, or to your electricity and/or gas meter.

You’ll receive an email to let you know we’ve done this, and also view the payment in your top up history.

Traditional Meters

Electricity - Payments being made to customers with electricity traditional meters, will receive a letter in the post advising them we’ve sent a “special action" to apply the credit to their key.

You’ll need to top up at the same PayPoint for the next 3-5 top ups (all to be done on different days) this will then pull the message through onto your key, and apply to the meter when you insert the key.

Gas - Adding WHD to a gas traditional meter is very similar. Except we’ll send the payment to the last PayPoint you topped up at. We’ll let you know when it’s ready and all you need to do is head to the shop with you card.

The cashier will then perform a 0 Vend, some customers may be familiar with the process, but for those who aren’t this is what they do:
  • Retailer inserts customers Boost or OVO Energy Card into the PayPoint terminal
  • Selects the amount of top up (£0.00) and presses confirm
  • Retailer removes card and hands receipt and card to customer
  • Please then check your receipt displays message received or message acknowledged
If they experience any issues they need to call the PayPoint Helpline on 0800 310 0000.

I’ve switched away, will I still get the payment?

Core Group - You’ll receive this payment regardless of who’s you’re supplier. It’ll just depend on who’s the supplier on the specific date (TBC) as to who makes this payment to you.

Broader Group - If you apply for the Warm Home Discount, you're accepted through Boost and then decided to switch to another energy supplier before we make the payment, your application will be cancelled automatically.

Why have I been asked to send extra documents?

Ofgem ask all suppliers to collect evidence from 5-10% of their customers. Our customers are selected at random and we always ask customers for these documents way in advance before the payment date. We also recommend sending in photocopies and not original documents into us.

If the documents aren’t received within the time frame given, then the application will be withdrawn and a payment won’t be made.

4 replies

I applied for the warm home discount and haven't had a conformation e mail... do I need to phone and speak to someone...
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
We haven't opened this years Warm Home Discount applications yet, @Debbieg, take a look at this topic for more info! 🙂
No sorry I didn't make it clear I meant I applied last year for this year...I received the 140 for last year... and I believe for this year you will be paying out soon...😀
Userlevel 4
Badge
That's right, @Debbieg, the application window often opens September/October time, so you'll be able to apply soon!

You will need to apply again this year, applications don't carry over year to year, as your circumstances may change.

Thanks,
Ed