Solved

Unexpected debt now added to meters - anyone else had this experience?

• 6 February 2018
  • 21 replies

Was with Ovo before Boost took over and had a few teething problems with smart meter not connecting to electric or gas meter... had an engineer come out and replace the faulty meter but I was also told that the engineer was advised to fit a meter booster aerial which he didn’t fit and it resulted in this situation, after ringing up about a few queries I was then told I was £160ish in debt... not once have I ever ran out of credit, I add £50 per top up and then to find out that your in debt I think is out of order as this isn’t my fault... this is the energy providers problem... with this issue I feel completely let down and I’m now looking to change my duel fuel provider... has anyone else suffered the same problems
icon

Best answer by Nancy_Boost 7 February 2018, 17:00

Hey @Lee-13,

It sounds like your meters weren't in communication with us, if this is the case we wouldn't have been able to charge for your usage so you won't have needed to top up.

Now that we've added an aerial, it sounds like we're able to charge you normally. But any energy used when we couldn't will need to be paid for. We can break this down into smaller amounts if you don't want to pay it off all at once. I'd advise calling the team to discuss this on 0330 102 7517.

Let me know if you have any more questions,
Nancy
View original

21 replies

Hi. I was with Ovo energy and got switched over to Boost. I use my phone to top up etc. All of a sudden my phone is showing a debt. There's no explanation of the debt and in all my years at my address I have never accrued a debt so where has it come from? It can't be the extra energy you use on a weekend etc(when your account goes into a minus) because as soon as you top up it takes the full amount back from you. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi @Nance. thanks for posting.

Mm this does sound strange. I'm guessing it might be to do with adding a debt to the account as Boost might not have charged you for your usage.

Sorry i can't help you further! Please do let us know how you get on.
Well thank you for at least endeavouring to reply. I will call customer care soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
No sweat @Nance. they'll be best placed to resolve this for you.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
How strange. Call the team and get them to look into it for you. I've not experienced this so can't give any other advice sorry.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Is this sorted @Nance. ?

It sounds like what happens when you haven't been charged for gas or electricity for a while - it will get added as a debt with a small daily repayment. Should have been contacted about it though.

Let us know what you find out when you contact the Care team!

Tim
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hey @Lee-13,

It sounds like your meters weren't in communication with us, if this is the case we wouldn't have been able to charge for your usage so you won't have needed to top up.

Now that we've added an aerial, it sounds like we're able to charge you normally. But any energy used when we couldn't will need to be paid for. We can break this down into smaller amounts if you don't want to pay it off all at once. I'd advise calling the team to discuss this on 0330 102 7517.

Let me know if you have any more questions,
Nancy
Userlevel 1
Our meters stopped communicating with each other and we got hit with £280 for gas and have to pay £1 a day on top of our usage. Now it’s a choice to eat for 7 days a week or starve a couple of days to pay off the debt that’s been thrust on us, benefit payments I receive are very little and don’t go far
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi @Peter169 thanks for posting.

sorry to hear this, have you explained your situation to Boost?

Given the difficulty you will face with the rate of repayment at £1 a day, my advice is to call the customer care team at your earliest opportunity explaining your situation and asking to reduce your daily repayment rate, it may be worth asking to speak to the Extra Care team also.

Are you meters now communicating correctly?
Userlevel 1
I have got the same problem, I never had problems with ovo but since boost took over I got hit with £280odds for gas while both smart meters are paygo and their making me pay it back £1 a day
Userlevel 1
Hi Matt,
Yes the meters are in touch with each other now but the home display doesn’t show anything, I will give them another call and hopefully I don’t get the last person who answered as he sounded in a hurry and wanting to end the call, that the impression I got anyway, anyhoo still shocking how we’re made to pay hefty for errors on their side
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Thanks for replying @Peter169 I'm sure when you reach out to Boost they will be able to help you with this.

its good that your meters are communicating again; whilst I appreciate your frustration at having the large debt, I and Boost do expect all customers to pay for the energy they use.
when customers are aware of the meters not communicating with the system, Boost advise customers to top up as normal to cover the costs of the energy they have used so that when the meters reconnect you are not met with a huge bill.

As before i strongly encourage you to discuss the repayment terms of this debt when you reach out to the team.
Userlevel 1
Hi again, I called and what felt like an eternity I got payment reduced to 50p a day and we were never notified that the meters weren’t communicating it was when the debt just appeared on my app that prompted me to call and that was when I got expanded what happened and may I add it was when boost took over from ovo they stopped communicating, I was with ovo for over a year with no problems at all, now I dread looking at the app incase they’ve stopped again as the hub display only lights up there’s no info there was supposed to be a new one on way but been waiting three weeks now
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
It sounds like your meter also lost communication with us @Peter169. We would have calculated what was used during the times the meters lost communication and added this a debt balance to your account.

Lucy
Had meters fitted 18months ago. Found out in May that the gas one is not taking money. Made appt no engineer showed up!! Now have a bill for over 700 quid. Not happy no one there to speak to today but they can send an email to say disconnect tomorrow!!!!!
Ccustomer service shambles
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Jbess,

I've moved your question to this existing topic as I feel it best answers it. Take a look at the best answer by @Nancy_Boost above!

Hope this helps you and gets you moving in the right direction.

Cheers,

I recieved an email in September over a year after having my metres.... 

"there's a problem with your online account, which means you have only been charged for one metres usage. And unfortunately a debt has built up on your account." 

Firstly don't fob me off with the rise due to the weather as Im an adult with a brain and can see the weather changes. However this is England please don't make out we've had beaming sunshine all the way through. I have tried to contact you guys to know what this fault of yours is..... Also asked what this debt is now thanks to you that's guilt up. No one has told me. 

As a consumer customer I am going to report you by the end of the day to trading standards. You have an obligation to give me the answers I'm asking. If you have noticed a fault on your metres that you installed over a year ago this debt is not my responsibility. However your charging me for this. I am topping up double now what I did last month. 

1.i want to know what the fault is that you found without even visiting my home. 

2.i want to know the amount of the debt you've suddenly after 1 yr imagined up. As for me I top up use what I have and top up again no debt from my behalf. 

3.i want to know what your going to do to compensate me for the time and hassle you have now caused me. I used these metres for over a year you cannot up prices without giving me a reason or notice. It is supposed to be a single top up online which covers my gas and electricity. Contact me back immediately 

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Vikki117 I’ve moved your topic over here, Nancy's response gives some insight into what’s happened here.

Every situation is different, however, so it’s worth speaking to us to get the answers you need.

I’d recommend calling us on 0330 102 7517, so we can get this sorted as soon as possible, but if you’d prefer, you could send us a message to our Facebook or Twitter pages.

Funny because I'm on the phone to that number on hold as we speak. 44min now. No one can tell me what the debt is..... They are saying the metres weren't communicating to each other. How ever because I rang up that's how they noticed. Rubbish because I only rang up after receiving the email to say there was a problem.

So katya is the advisor who has had me on hold for 51min now. Trying to tell me what my debt is,..... Still unknown still cannot find an answer for this.

However Katya has been kind enough in a recorded conversation to tell me my metres wasn't communicating to each other, reason normally are because bad signal on areas, or metres need resetting however Katya just said this wasn't the fault and the fault was at their end...... So thank u Katya you have just made it certain now that due to a fault with Boost and Ovo at your end there is a fault and now I am not liable to pay the debt due to your errors. Although I am still no clearer to finding out the actual debt or problem. 

Seems to me that as a business who is still expected to give customer service boost and Ovo combined are not at all clear as to what is going on in their business. So I as a guess would say all this rubbish about metres not communicating to each other is happening way too much frkm the issues being addressed on this forum. I as a consumer would like to know what Boost is going to do about this...... I can't speak for others but I can tell you Katya has just told me that it's a fault at Boost end and not mine. So I think giving a few Newspapers and Which best buy aswell as some trading standards people a call is needed. Seems your robbing people at the moment if I'm honest. Trying to trick people into paying for more for your own mess ups. Dual fuel I specifically remember asking on the app why I can't see separate gas and electric. I was told its all combined now. So Boost you've made a huge mistake yourselves. Not your customers.... 

Example guys.... If ur in a store and u leave and the store forgot to scan something you leave with that item free of charge....... The store don't chase down your address and issue you a bill. Its the stores error. You didn't steal anything or borrow. Boost please tell me how your different. You make a mistake and don't charge something you don't have the right to go back and all of a sudden issue a huge bill 

So after going through to managers jazelle who was just as bad as Katya. Apparently my gas metre hasn't been "installed" since August 2017?????? Funny its in my kitchen cupboard and I'm sure I've been using my heating and cooker. So when I asked how they didn't notice a fault for the last 2yrs. Jazelle told me it's my fault I haven't called them since August 2017. I kindly said why would I call when everything is working what does she want me to do call and say happy birthday or merry Xmas.... Anyway. Whatever debt is about to come is still unknown. But from what she saying its basically going to be from August 2017 to September 2019.  However as Katya so kindly told me the fault is on their side. So I'd definitely be arguing this one and refusing to pay. Absolutely the worse customer service I've ever encountered. I'm so glad the calls are recorded and il have this as my back up..... So thanks guys for reffering me to call customer service they were a great help.....