Solved

Standing charge seems high - what's yours per month?

• 18 January 2018
  • 33 replies

Hi, I'm paying £16+ a month Standing Charge on my smart meter, is this about right? What is everyone else paying?
Cheers Caz
icon

Best answer by mattj3135 18 January 2018, 12:41

Hi @cazel thanks for posting!

In short - this is correct for those with Smart PAYG+ with duel fuel and the single wallet. My standing charges for December total £16.74.

You can check the tariff you're on including the daily standing charge within the app under the account details section.

@Smiter @Aadil @Debbie g How about you folks - whats your take on this?

*Update - 11/07/2019 - Information correct*
View original

33 replies

Is it true that, for Gas + Electricity, the annual standing charges come to just over £200 per year ? I work from home, and am currently charged business rates with NO standing charges at all. Can Boost do this for self-employed people who work from home ?
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hey @PiperBob,

That’s right. It’s round about £200. Standing charges go towards covering the cost of the pipes and power lines that carry gas and electricity to your home. Standing charges are part of our prices (along with our unit rates) and currently, we don't offer any plans without them.

Hope this helps!
Lucy
Userlevel 1
So what are the standing charges for people with pay monthly?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
So what are the standing charges for people with pay monthly?

It varies depending on the region, Gavin, but they'll be a similar amount. Check them out in out in your region here: http://ovoener.gy/Quote.

Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi @cazel thanks for posting!

In short - this is correct for those with Smart PAYG+ with duel fuel and the single wallet. My standing charges for December total £16.74.

You can check the tariff you're on including the daily standing charge within the app under the account details section.

@Smiter @Aadil @Debbie g How about you folks - whats your take on this?

*Update - 11/07/2019 - Information correct*
Userlevel 4
Badge
My standing charges show as 54p per day over the dual account.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Yeah £16.74 here too. That's inline with most suppliers I think.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Thought so! Thank you @Aadil @Smiter

hope this helps @cazel
Userlevel 1
I actually find this standing charge 'offensive'. Why? Well basically,
Prepay meters do exactly what it say's on the tin. You pay for your fuel before you use it. You can only use what credit you have on your meter, The utility companies have no need to send reminders about outstanding bills. No need to charge the user with late payments on their quarterly bill. The utility company has the money in their bank account even before it has been used.
SO WHY............Do prepay customers continue to be penalized with these ridiculous 'standing charge' prices? If anything, prepay customers should be rewarded for paying their money upfront. I'm sorry BOOST, but as much as the 26p per day may be the 'going rate'. Make a stand & show your customers exactly how appreciative you are of their custom.
Yes i do take into consideration just how much it costs to transfer the fuel to each of your customers but it cost's exactly the same to supply those who are not on a prepay meter. So why sting us prepay customers so much?
Anyway. Ive got that off my chest so a big 'hello' to you all on my first post to this forum 😉
Userlevel 3
Ours is 60p a day and I too find it ridiculous. Like a PP said PAYG fuel is just that. I'm topping up that much I am thinking of changing back to my old supplier
Userlevel 3
Badge
Ours is £16.38 per month Whyyyyyyy you would if thought prepay would be cheaper as there is no dept to try and collect and suppliers get their money upfront 😔 penalised for paying upfront
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hey @Gazza667 and @Clarkesgang,

Definitely don't want anyone to feel like they're being penalised. Standing charges cover the costs of supplying properties with gas and electricity, maintaining the national grids and repairs. Everyone that uses energy in their property needs this, whether you pay monthly or as you go, which is why we ask everyone to contribute.

Nancy
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Good to see you all getting involved in the forum @Gazza667 @Lillie711 @Clarkesgang

Just wanted to step in on this standing charge convo - this is a charge for the pipes and cables, and it isn't something that goes to your energy supplier. The charge is applied to all energy users, prepayment and credit customers alike.

Tim
Userlevel 4
Get a tesla power wall and say good bye supplyer pay for itself in a few years
Can someone tell me why my standing charge is £9 and is that normal? I topped up £10 yesterday and I got an email from boost stating that I better top up soon? When I looked at my account I had £4? I'm a bit confused to say the least .
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Can someone tell me why my standing charge is £9 and is that normal?

@Ladyemmadx a standing charge will be about £0.27 per meter per day. Sometimes a bit higher or lower depending on your region.
Userlevel 2
My standing charge is almost £18 per month I have never had a standing charge with any other energy supplier. I am not saving any money at all if anything I am paying more
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hi @Janeclark,

All suppliers charge a standing charge. They cover the transportation costs of gas and electricity and the maintenance of the national grids.

In the interests of being transparent with our pricing, we choose to distinguish between standing charges and unit rates, so customers have a clear idea of what they're paying for. Some suppliers choose to incorporate their standing charges into their unit rates instead, which can result in higher costs overall if you're a moderate to high user.

The best way to compare suppliers is to look at the unit rates and standing charges. Bear in mind that you'll pay a standing change once a day for 365 days in a year, but your yearly usage of gas and electricity will be much more than this. An average household in the UK is estimated to use 3,000KWh of electricity and 12,500KWh of gas a year.

Cheers
Userlevel 2
If I did it was never as much as £18 per month i paid weekly always on a tuesday and was maybe 50pence per week
As I am away from home a lot I have found that I am paying significantly more in standing charges than actual energy usage per month with Boost. For that reason, I have decided to move to a company called Ebico on their Zero Energy plan. No standing charges and still pre-pay. Yes the energy charges are more, but at least I will only pay for what I use!
Hi @Janeclark,

All suppliers charge a standing charge.

Not strictly true! Ebico Zero and Solarplicity Fair Market Price 2018 do not have standing charges, however the energy prices are higher.

Good if you are not always at home like me.
Userlevel 2
When I was a Scottish power customer the standing charge was weekly and nowhere near £5 per week. I am not working due to health reasons and I am going to struggle this year last winter I was topping up £180 per month which I find shocking compared to maybe £60 roughly during warmer months. I use energy efficient light bulbs I switch all sockets off when not in use. I don't use the kettle I use washing machine and tumble drier at night.
Userlevel 2
I would be much cheaper without the prepayment meters as I know I would pay a set amount every month I feel £180 is a lot it's only myself and 2 children at home
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hi @Janeclark

Just to clarify, on a "credit meter" (where you pay by Direct Debit or upon receipt of the bill), you would still have a unit rate per KWh and a standing charge per day.

The amount of the Direct Debit would aim to cover your usage, but it can go up or down if your usage fluctuates too. It's not strictly a set amount per month.

Thanks
Userlevel 2
Im sure I wouldn't be £180 per month like last year im already ovet £90 per momth have been the past 2 months dont use much during the day I use the washing machine at night. The way your company works the standing charge is very noticeable I think that's why it seems so much. Still not using that much gas less than a £1 per day and I use £5 every day my heat and hot water are gas and my cooker