F.A.Q.

Landlord FAQ

• 25 June 2019
  • 2 replies
Landlord FAQ
Userlevel 4
Badge
It can be tricky when dealing with energy supplies and accounts when tenants move in and out of a property, however we've popped a couple of the common queries/issues together to help make the process a little easier for you and get you moving in the right direction!

My tenants have moved out, how do I set up an account for my new tenants?

Unfortunately we can’t set up an account in your new tenants name upon your request. We can put the account into your name whilst you are financially liable for the property and then as soon as the tenants are liable we’ll need them to contact us to accept liability and set up an account in their name.

Please call our Customer Care team as they will get you all set up, they will advise you of the current rates and get you a new key/card sorted if you need one so you can start topping up. Contact information at the bottom!

Lots more information on the home moving process here.

How do I top up?

If you have traditional meters, your tenant may have left you a key and a card behind, you’ll be able to use them to top up, please keep hold of them.
In all scenarios regardless of the meter type, to ensure you’re not paying off a debt that is not yours please contact our team to set up an account in your name.

Please call our Customer Care team as advised above so they can get you all set up correctly. Contact information at the bottom!

I don’t want prepayment meters, why did you put them in and how do I get them changed?

There a two scenarios where we would install prepayment meters, in exchange for credit meters, upon the customer's request and if there was a large debit balance not being repaid on the account.

Unfortunately we can’t change Pay as you go meters to Pay monthly meters. Boost Power only supply PAYG customers and our partner company OVO have continued to supply Pay Monthly customers only. More info about this here.

If you’d like to change to Pay monthly, another larger supplier may be able to do this for you. You’d need to switch over to them as a Pay as you go customer and then have the meters changed. I’d recommend checking with other suppliers if they can do this for you before switching.

Smart Meters!

Whatever you think of smart meters, they can be extremely in these situations, not just for better service and top up methods for pay as you go customers, but also for landlords and tenants when switching ownership and keeping the property on supply.

Smart meters provide accurate meter reading and usage history, so this makes sure there's no overlap between dates and accounts. Also, having a smart meter opens up a couple of different methods of topping up depending on your preference and your tenants. But, where the meters are most helpful, is that we can communicate with them directly, meaning we can assist you right there and then!

More on smart meters here!

How do I get in contact?

You can reach our Customer Care team on 0330 102 7517, between 8am - 8pm, Monday to Friday and between 9am - 1pm on Saturdays. For other queries and issues, you can reach out to us via our Facebook page and Twitter or you can pop us an email at: hello@boostpower.co.uk.

2 replies

I am landlord of a property and the tenants have left. There are smart meters fitted to the gas and also the electric but I don’t know how to use them and I don’t know how to find out if there is any credit on the meters…...help!!

Userlevel 4
Badge

@ChrisDiplock here’s an F.A.Q which should give you all the info you need on what to do!