Solved

PAYG+ and my In Home Display (IHD) - why doesn't my credit balance show?

• 20 January 2018
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 3
**UPDATED on 15/07/2019**

Hello,

After speaking to a customer service representative regarding the PAYG+.

Does anyone know why you cannot view your balance on the IHD when on PAYG+?

As far as I know, being a new customer, you cannot access your realtime balance when you are on PAYG+. I understand that the app/online account is supposed to predict your usage but it would be nice to be able to see your balance or have it updated more frequently, like every four hours etc.
icon

Best answer by Tim_Boost 23 January 2018, 13:30

Hi @jas720848

PAYG+ takes all of the prepayment features away from your meters (and the In Home Display (IHD) which links with them) and puts them online instead. So your meters and IHD are in a kind of 'credit' setting.

To get a real time balance on the meters and IHD, you might prefer Smart PAYG Standard

Tim
View original

22 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @jas720848

PAYG+ takes all of the prepayment features away from your meters (and the In Home Display (IHD) which links with them) and puts them online instead. So your meters and IHD are in a kind of 'credit' setting.

To get a real time balance on the meters and IHD, you might prefer Smart PAYG Standard

Tim
Userlevel 3
Hello Tim,

Thank you for the reply.

Is Boost going to look at increasing the frequency of updates to the online balance?

My issue being, when you go into friendly/emergency credit you need to know your balance in order to clear it. With the updates only happening once a day, this makes this process a guessing game.

Also, say you are on holiday and you get an alert for your balance, more frequent updates would make it easier to manage your balance when you are away from home and ensure your supply never goes off.

Updates every four hours would be perfect.

Thanks,

Jason
It's certainly something we're keen to do in the future, @jas720848 - but there's no plans to have regular updates rolled out just yet.

One way to make sure your balance doesn't get too low is to set up rolling or auto top ups. You can choose a date and the frequency of top ups (similar to a Direct Debit) and you can also arrange for a top up to automatically happen when your balance hits a certain point (£5 for example). Check out more info on this here - https://www.boostpower.co.uk/help/topics/payg/smart-payg/how-do-i-schedule-a-top-up-with-smart-payg.html.

Emma
Userlevel 3
Hello Emma,

Thanks for the reply.

It is a shame that more regular updates are not on the books at the moment.

At this moment in time I am torn as what to do with respects of our energy supply.

If I switch to normal PAYG with yourselves, I get the realtime balance but I loose the ability manage and top-up via the app and web.

If I switch to another supplier, most do not have an actual proper app and some don't allow web top-up.

With regards to the auto top-up, this is something that is of no use or appeal to us at the moment.

For the lack of a better analogy, this smart PAYG seems a bit dumb. Ovo and then yourselves having being doing PAYG for smart meters for quite a few years now. Being one of the first energy companies to do so, I would have thought that your PAYG would have been a bit more refined and contain features that others didn't.

Sorry for sounding a little negative. Obviously my opinion is my own and may or may not represent that of other boost customers.

I would just love to see a true smart PAYG that contains all the right features to allow us to easily manage our energy needs in a way that is easy and also insightful.

Kind regards,

Jason
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi @jas720848

youve raised some great points and it would be good to see what new and exciting developments are within the new app currently being developed.

I have no idea whether any of your suggestions will be within this new app, but Boost are recruiting users to Help test it, have you checked out the topic and signed up for this? https://forum.boostpower.co.uk/smart-payg-5/please-sign-up-below-to-try-a-brand-new-version-of-the-payg-app-151
Userlevel 3
Hi @jas720848

youve raised some great points and it would be good to see what new and exciting developments are within the new app currently being developed.

I have no idea whether any of your suggestions will be within this new app, but Boost are recruiting users to Help test it, have you checked out the topic and signed up for this? https://forum.boostpower.co.uk/smart-payg-5/please-sign-up-below-to-try-a-brand-new-version-of-the-payg-app-151

Hello @mattj3135,

Thanks for your suggestion, I did have a quick look at that post when I initially signed up.

I have now requested to become a beta tester. We will have to see what happens.

Thanks
Userlevel 1
I'm in the process of changing energy providers. I would rather be informed I'm over paying than insulting me with excuses it's winter so we will pay more.. We are not idiots.. Why has Ovo gone with boost. The clearly to BOOST the prices up. I'm switching I'm sure I'm not paying bill increases like this again. In less than a month more than £120 in fuel No way.. I'll use candles for light first and a paraffin heater. RIP off OVO and Boost your bank balance off another mug signing up to your outfit. All of those I verbally recommend have long switched. Guess they saw this price hike coming..
Userlevel 1
We know about the App but maybe we don't want the app we signed up to a quickly glance on the work top not an app on my phone. May I also point out my rate is fixed on my app but reads variable on my account.. Maybe we are all owed money ?????
We know about the App but maybe we don't want the app we signed up to a quickly glance on the work top not an app on my phone. May I also point out my rate is fixed on my app but reads variable on my account.. Maybe we are all owed money ?????

Hi @Jane

All of our Pay as you go tariffs are variable rather than fixed. We stopped offering PAYG fixed prices back in November, after we received feedback from our prepayment customers, stating that they'd prefer not to be tied into a contract with leaving fees.

Thanks,
Emily
Userlevel 3
Badge
How do you get a In house display? Do you offer one? We have never been offered one
We can certainly request an In Home Display (IHD) for you, @Clarkesgang

Send us a PM on Facebook with your full name, DoB and account number so we can get one posted out to you.

https://www.facebook.com/boostpoweruk

Emma
Userlevel 3
Badge
Thank you Emma 👍
Userlevel 1
I am a PAYG+ customer and had the smart meter fitted on 1st May. I am still waiting for it all to sync up but wanted to know if my smart meter will display the credit or current balance I have left of my top up like my old meter used to? Right now it just shows today's total usage... Which isn't that helpful to me as a payg customer.

Also for my IHD, I have the new one? The IHD3-CAD and I understand that that will show my total usage etc but was wondering if when I top up and it's all synced together it would show my balance? I.e £40 counting down to 0?
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hey @StolenLemming,

I've moved your post over to this thread where you should find the info you need. Do comment any further questions below.

Nancy
Hi,

My smart meter is showing wrong balance comparing to online account. Also, the 'usage wheel' stuck on red. Does anyone know how to solve this please?
I have topped up on the app but how do u tell my meter I stopped up
Both of my Meyers are saying vend mode and my HD display unit isn't showing my balance or how much i have used and also my boost app is saying that it is inactive and i don't know why i can't check my balance of how much i have got left
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I have topped up on the app but how do u tell my meter I stopped up

Take a look at the best answer for more info on this, @Tracey2019!

Both of my Meyers are saying vend mode and my HD display unit isn't showing my balance or how much i have used and also my boost app is saying that it is inactive and i don't know why i can't check my balance of how much i have got left

If your account is saying inactive, @Nadine woodward, it may be that your account has been closed. Send the team a message on Facebook with your name, DoB, full address and email so they can look into this.
Can anyone explain why the amount on my apt is different from that on the smart meter. I thought the smart meter was suppose to display the balance remaining on the account🤔
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I've moved your post here, @Jemmarie, all the info you need is above ☺
Where can I find how much electric I have on my account
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
PAYG+ takes all of the prepayment features away from your meters (and the In Home Display (IHD) which links with them) and puts them online instead.

Hi @7362907 - I've moved your post on here. As @Tim_Boost mentioned, you can find your balance online (or on the app).