Solved

Why am I topping up so much now?

• 28 January 2018
  • 29 replies

Userlevel 3
I'm actually fed up of topping up!! When I was with BG I NEVER topped up so much. I want to leave this supplier
icon

Best answer by mattj3135 28 January 2018, 21:35

Hey @Lillie711 thanks for posting.

have you checked out this topic which covers what to do if you feel you're paying more than you should be: https://forum.boostpower.co.uk/traditional-payg-4/i-feel-like-i-m-topping-up-more-than-usual-why-would-this-happen-71
View original

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hey @Lillie711 thanks for posting.

have you checked out this topic which covers what to do if you feel you're paying more than you should be: https://forum.boostpower.co.uk/traditional-payg-4/i-feel-like-i-m-topping-up-more-than-usual-why-would-this-happen-71
Userlevel 3
Badge
Have to admit we have been topping up more since moving from OVO to BOOST will be looking for a new supplier if things do not improve 😕
Userlevel 3
I'm just going to switch back to British Gas.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Have to admit we have been topping up more since moving from OVO to BOOST will be looking for a new supplier if things do not improve 😕

Hi Clarkesgang

It is odd in regards to the comments around people feeling like they are topping up more now they are with Boost. Around the time we moved everyone over to Boost, the weather definitely took a turn for the worst and we started to come into winter, so we'd kind of expect all energy users to start consuming more energy, therefore the amount you are topping up would increase.

Give it a couple more months, we will start to head into spring and you'll find your top ups start going further again as you'll be using less energy. It's worth noting too that our actual unit rates and standing charges didn't change when we moved you to Boost, in some areas, they even went down so it would be worth checking the rates you are on to double check that.

As I mentioned the only thing that would have changed from October onwards is the amount of energy you are actually using which is what we'd expect all customers to see heading into winter.

It would be good to hear from you if you don't think your rates are correct, as that's something we can investigate further if we need to. It would also be good to confirm if you felt the same last winter, i.e were topping up more during the colder months then too?

Darran
Userlevel 3
Badge
I do understand all that and this winter has been colder. But compared to last year when we were with OVO and taking Into account energy price increase we seem to be topping up more

The Increase per month seems to be a bit higher than expected, my neighbours have not seen the same increase, granted they are with a different supplier but pay as they go through an app
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
I do understand all that and this winter has been colder. But compared to last year when we were with OVO and taking Into account energy price increase we seem to be topping up more

The Increase per month seems to be a bit higher than expected, my neighbours have not seen the same increase, granted they are with a different supplier but pay as they go through an app

The best thing I can suggest to reassure you is for you to make a comparison of your OVO and Boost rates as this will highlight that there haven’t been any prices changes since the rebrand. 🙂

Lucy
Userlevel 2
hate this switch to 'boost'
I shall be moving, my top ups are +£15-20 a week more since the switch...
and I am out all day ?????
Userlevel 2
I'm just going to switch back to British Gas.

me too . good call 🙂
Userlevel 2
im the same, my top ups are ridiculous, i can top up 35 pounds and within a couple of days i'm under ten pound and topping up again, i tppped up 200 pounds in september and thought if i kept topping up 20 pound a week it would see me through winter, didn't last two minutes and i'm put all day and my partner work a away! i spend 175 per month it's a joke, i'm switching asap!! total rip off
Userlevel 4
I'm surprised you haven't popped up @Tim_Boost @Lucy_Boost Reading your script ,, or doesn't it give you the answers. Or you took my advice and doing so homework 😂 It means more to use your bleeding us dry and the numbers don't lie humans do
Userlevel 4
Now there deleting my comments and sending me messages I quote """"""Lucy_Boost 20 hours agoHey Anthony,

Just wanted to pop you a quick PM to advise any spam posted on our OVO Forum page will be removed. Please bear this in mind when you post comments so that you ensure you’re keeping in line with the forum house rules and helping other users with their queries and sharing your knowledge in a positive and beneficial way.

Cheers,
Lucy"""""" wow 😳 I thought I was being positive and beneficial we talking about the way we are being exploited
Userlevel 1
I seem to be having to add credit every day, i understand that its been colder my gas uauage seems reasonable but electric is through the roof, i have topped up ovet £700 since january..is this normal?
Userlevel 1
I should add i have solar panels aswell!!!
Userlevel 1
I was told it would be cheaper to switch and I did I have not found it cheaper at all in fact it's more expensive and I won't be staying I will be looking for another provider
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Now there deleting my comments and sending me messages I quote """"""Lucy_Boost 20 hours agoHey Anthony,

Just wanted to pop you a quick PM to advise any spam posted on our OVO Forum page will be removed. Please bear this in mind when you post comments so that you ensure you’re keeping in line with the forum house rules and helping other users with their queries and sharing your knowledge in a positive and beneficial way.

Cheers,
Lucy

I stand by what I said, Anthony. The forum is a space for customers to interact with one another in a positive and helpful way. Spamming the forum page will not be tolerated and any comments deemed to be spam will be hidden.

Lucy
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi @joanne85 , @Leafoz.lf and @Jauty1

Winter is a much more expensive time of year for top ups as you are using a lot more energy, in some cases without realising, like your kettle taking longer to boil as the water starts off colder and the same with your shower, washing machine etc. All these little things add up when the temperature is a lot colder.

Here is a link to a topic that might help. However we are always happy to support you in looking at your usage, if you have genuine concerns that you might be topping up a lot more than you should be during this time of year.

@Leafoz.lf , it would be good to know you are able to track the amount of energy your solar panels are generating? As we see less light during winter, it may be the panels are not generating quite enough to cover your usage, hence the increase in how often you are needing to top up.

Just send one of the team a PM or DM over on our Facebook page or Twitter with your details and we can take a look into this for you.

https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy/
https://twitter.com/OVOEnergy

Darran
Userlevel 1
seem to be during so much electric.since change our.
need to speak to someone about this matter
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I've moved your post here, @cath1962, the topics above will give you a lot of information that may be useful.

Topping up more over winter is expected as you use more energy so we hope the info provided here is useful.

Our resident superuser @Sophie1983 may be able to offer some hints and tips to help with your usage!

If you'd like to speak to our team, you can reach them on: 0330 102 7517 - they're available Monday-Friday 8am-6pm and Saturday 9am-1pm.

Thanks!
i am the same I didn't even know who energy went bust and I was moved over to boost which I wasn't even informed of now I am topping up three times that amount I used to top up I'm not using my gas but yet on my smart metre at the money is going down straight away I'm putting 30 to £35 per week on electric and 30 to 35 lb a week on gas which I'm not even using is there something that can be done about this
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hey @caroline1976, please check out the info above, @Darran_Boost post will give you some insight into your query.
I am topping up way to much on my smart meter I was promised warm home credit never got it at all
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hi @caroline1976

We can't promise that everyone will receive the Warm Home Discount. We have a limited number of payments to give out, and your application being accepted depends on meeting a number of criteria.

If you didn't hear back from us, we'd be happy to check what happened with your application. Call the team on 0330 102 7517 or drop us a message on Facebook with your account number, full name and DoB: m.me/boostpoweruk

Thanks
Userlevel 1
I’m topping up minimum of £30 a week there is only 3 of us in the house , there was no one in the weekend so nothing used so I thought I know you have a standing charge surely not £3 a day I’m paying on average £120 a month surely this can’t be right , yes before you say do this do that I have we’ve got a brand new boiler up to date washing machine etc etc when heating is used it’s only n 19 on thermostat, I’m seriously thinking of going back to e.on as I never paid this much
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Nanasam53, sorry to hear you're struggling to keep up with the energy costs.

It sounds like you're appliances are all good and efficient, but the high costs may be to do with your usage habits.

I'd recommend contacting the Centre for Sustainable Energy (CSE) who can give free advice on energy consumption, to see if there's a particular habit that may be causing higher usage.

Here's a link to their website: https://www.cse.org.uk/.

Thanks,
Ed
Userlevel 1
Hi @Nanasam53, sorry to hear you're struggling to keep up with the energy costs.

It sounds like you're appliances are all good and efficient, but the high costs may be to do with your usage habits.

I'd recommend contacting the Centre for Sustainable Energy (CSE) who can give free advice on energy consumption, to see if there's a particular habit that may be causing higher usage.

Here's a link to their website: https://www.cse.org.uk/.

Thanks,
Ed