F.A.Q.

Why am I topping up so much at the moment? - A Winter FAQ

• 16 December 2019
  • 11 replies
Why am I topping up so much at the moment? - A Winter FAQ
Userlevel 5
Badge

It’s that time of the year again - Santa Claus, Rudolf and the gang, Jack Frost, and growing concerns that you’re topping up too much.

Here’s a bunch of links that are going to help you get through the cold months ahead!

Why am I topping up more during the winter? Find out here

What can I do if I don’t have the money to top up? Find out here

What can I do if I struggle to keep up with my energy usage? Find out here

How can I save up for the winter next year? Find out here

How do I get the Warm Home Discount? Find out here

What is the charge coming out of my account every day? Find out here

Anything we’ve missed? Stick a comment below and we’ll get you some further info for you!

11 replies

I’m new to boost .this week I have had to top up £36 already .is this a normal amount .seems quite high to me especially if it’s going to be the same every week 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hey @Sally75,

I’ve moved your query here to help you  find some answers.

Check out the links above for further advice and tips on how to cut down your costs and energy usage.

Thanks,

Bradley 

I have no gas. No emergency number to speak to anyone and a disabled child in the house and it is freezing I am on the priority register.  Engineer fitted new meter and said would have keep coming back to top up and no one been and now gas is off. THIS NEEDS SORTING ASAP

Userlevel 1

I’m new to boost .this week I have had to top up £36 already .is this a normal amount .seems quite high to me especially if it’s going to be the same every week 

You're on a variable boost tariff. They don't fully explain that at the time of signing up. Check the small print in your welcome pack.

Userlevel 1

I have no gas. No emergency number to speak to anyone and a disabled child in the house and it is freezing I am on the priority register.  Engineer fitted new meter and said would have keep coming back to top up and no one been and now gas is off. THIS NEEDS SORTING ASAP

The engineer hasn't linked your meter to boost. There's no contact number at the weekend because during the weekend they promise not to cut you off. I think you might need to phone national grid and ask them.

They put an old style meter in last week and it doesn’t stay on at weekends. Engineer just been and put credit on and will have to ring boost in the morning to sort all this out 

Since having a smart meter pay as you go my costs have risen sharply how do i get this taken out would not recommend this meter at all 65p standing charge a day is ludicrous times are difficult for families without using over 50 to 60 a week on gas and electricity 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hey @Claire4r,

I’ve added your comment to this existing topic thread as you may find some really useful info here to help with cutting costs.

Thanks,

Bradley 

My costs are so high with a smart meter worst thing i have done topping up over 50 a week

Userlevel 1

Ok so my first top up was 19th feb £20 and In

the 18 days I have been with boost I have topped up £140, way much more than my last provider, anyone else found this happening to them

Thanks lisa

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hey @Lisa sykes 

I’ve moved your query here as there is some really good advice on ways to cut down your costs over the winter period we’ve just had. This may also explain why you’ve been topping up more than usual.

Hope this helps,

Bradley