What to do when I’m Moving home - ask your questions here!

• 12 January 2018
  • 45 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Updated on 09/12/21 by Tim_Boost:

There’s a great Boost Answers guide on what to do when you’ve moving out of/into a house supplied by Boost. Check it out here

What about our FAQ for landlords, here:

That said there’s always going to be exceptions or questions that need answering. Share them below and one of our users should be able to help.

45 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @emmab8975, I’ve moved your post over to here for a bit more info (the link in Tim’s main post is really helpful).

In short, you’ll need to call us on the day you move in, so we can get a new account set up in your name, and wipe any outstanding debt on the meters. The number is 0330 102 7517, and they’re available 8am - 8pm Monday - Friday, and 9am - 5pm Saturdays.

Thanks,

Ed

We are moving house on the 12th of June 2020. We currently have a smart meter fitted in the property we are leaving, and want the Gas & Electric disconnected on that date, and any refundable balance, refunded.

We don’t know if you can provide the same service, at the house we are going to move to, and can’t get hold of anyone to talk to????

Please advise asap?

Richard

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

You’ll find all the info your need in this thread, @Bladerunner, best of luck with the move! 

:blush:

Hi there

Im moving home and was told that the metre can be removed when I leave as it’s a rented property 

can you help 

thanks 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Lukekaren 

There’s a guide on moving home to do’s at the top of this topic. There’s also a topic on this here

Heads up that you won’t need / you won’t be able to remove the meter when you move out. We’ll just close your account on the date you’ve left, and we’ll open an account for the next day, either for the new tenant or landlord/estate agent. 

If you’re currently a Boost customer and you’re moving to a new home, please let us know by calling 0330 102 7517.

We’ll ask for the following information to close your account: 

• The date you moved (or are due to move) out of the property.
  • Your new address or forwarding details.
  • Your new phone number.

If possible, it would also help us to know:

• The name/s of who’s moving in.
  • Their phone number and email address.
  • The name and address of the landlord, if you don't own your old home.

I’m moving house in the 23rd and not sure who my provider will be in the new house.

What happens to the boost account on my current address will the new owners need to ring boost to set up an account so they can get electricity and gas.

do I need to make you aware that I’m moving and a new owner will be using the gas and electric.

im not sure if boost will be my supplier in my new home until everything is sorted 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Jim-93 

I’ve moved your post over to this topic, as it’s a pretty common moving home question. See this guide for all the info you need on moving home. 

A few spoilers:

• Just call us when you’ve moved out: 0330 303 5063
  • New tenants need to call us when they’ve moved in. 
  • Start a switch to Boost (if you want) once you’re in the new place here

Good luck with the move!

Good night. I have bought my first house and it comes with boost energy. I can’t make the electricity meter to work, I have recharged it with 100 pounds and still doesn’t work… When I try to introduce the code it says rejected every time. I have both cards, for electricity and gas. 
Here you have some pictures with the readings of my meter so you can help me, please. I have been a day without electricity and I have some health issues.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Gorgelace - I’m so sorry to hear the electricity supply was off - I’m very much hoping you’ve contacted our Support team by now to get this sorted. If not, please call us on: 0330 102 7517.

It does look like the meter is in a prepayment setting, and therefore needs credit and reconnecting (by pressing, A, A, B on the keypad) to get back on supply.

The fact that the top up you made isn’t going onto the meter remotely or after typing in that VEND code tells me the card you have isn’t linked up. As mentioned, this needs to be amended by our Support team. 

Please come back and let us know what happened in the end?   

Hi, I’ve just moved into a new property this week and my electric has been cut off before I’ve had chance to change provider or shop around. I’ve been on hold for over 50 minutes waiting to speak to a advisor to try and get the energy back on I have no idea about pay as you go or smart meters as I’ve always payed quarterly. Does anyone have any idea of how this can be fixed ASAP as my battery is running low and I need to speak to someone to sort it. Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Leoniebordaen and thanks for posting this question. 

I’ve taken this info from this moving home guide linked to at the top:

Moving in

Please call us on 0330 102 7517 and we’ll get you set up with a new card and key. We will also give you a payment code to top up with until your new payment card reaches you.

It’s not a good idea to use the same payment card or key as the last person, because there may be a standing charge (daily payment) charge on the account, especially if no-one’s been living in the property for a while.  

I’m really sorry to hear about those long wait times, @Leoniebordaen - due to the bank holiday, lots of customers were ringing us yesterday. This lead to long call queues, in those cases I would recommended using the IVR to request a call back, so you're not left hanging. Either way we’re in a much better position today to take that call!

Userlevel 1

Hi I moved on the 08/04/22, I have boost suppling my old property, and i have been trying to cancel my account, boost have said that due to high demand they cannot supply my new property ( currently dual fuel with E.D.F ) my issue is that i feel like I’m going around in circles and while this is happening the credit is running out on the old property and obvioulsy daily charges dont stop. Any help would be amazing, Thanks in advance.  Tony.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Tony1969.

Great to hear you’ve already been in touch with our Support Team following your move. As you’re no longer liable for any standing charges at your previous address the team should be able to close your account and get a final statement issued. It might be worth checking the status of this account closure with the team via our webchat which you can find here.

As you mention trying to request a switch back to Boost at your new address, unfortunately due to the current energy market conditions a switch of suppliers isn’t recommended at the moment. You’ll still be protected by the same Ofgem price cap with any energy supplier so we’d recommend getting in touch with EDF to get an account set-up with them at your new address.

I hope this helps explain things.

Userlevel 1

thank you for getting back to me Jess, the problem is I havnt been in touch with anyone, I keep getting asked to use the webchat, but it is always mad busy, or i just keep getting diverted, is there a number I can call to make sure this move is put into place please, many thanks, Tony.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Of course, @Tony1969.

You can reach the team on 0330 102 7517, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm or Saturday, 9am to 2pm.

Hope this helps. 👍

Userlevel 1

Thanks Jess your a star.

Tony.