We all spend more on energy in autumn and winter, start preparing now!

• 25 July 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
**UPDATED on 16/07/2019**

Winter will be here before we know it and it’s good to be prepared. We know we all spend more on our energy during this period, the graph below shows the amount an average PAYG customer is likely to be topping up per month over a year.

You can see there is a pretty big difference between summer and winter, which is not surprising given the amount of extra energy we use to keep warm!

Will I be topping up more?
Yes absolutely, more energy usage, means you will need to top up more than in summer (see graph above). There are a number of changes that take place in autumn and winter meaning that almost everyone's costs will go up.

Some examples are:
- It starts getting darker earlier in the evening, meaning everyone has their lights on longer.
- Colder temperatures warrant turning the heating on, which uses gas or electricity.
- Again, lower outdoor temperatures mean water starts off at a lower temperature. This means it takes more energy (and costs more) to heat it to the desired temperature for your heating/the shower/washing up etc.
- Worse weather sees us all spending more time on average indoors, meaning more time with appliances on (watching TV, on the computer, playing video games, cooking more hot meals, listening to music and generally entertaining ourselves indoors).

What can you do to prepare?
Using your summer top ups like a piggy bank. This topic here highlights that by topping up just a little bit more than you need to during summer, means you build up some credit ready for the winter. 🐷

Find out what the most expensive household appliance is here 💡

PAYG+ customers can also set up ‘scheduled’ and ‘rolling’ top ups to keep them from dropping below £0. This Boost Answers page outlines how. 📱

Is there anymore support available to me this winter?
We work with loads of organisations to ensure we can support you, should you need some extra help and advice. This section of the forum has loads of great support content available to you!

Let's help each other out with some energy saving tips below...

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
hey @Tim_Boost just a quick question - assuming boost is running the warm home discount scheme this year - when will boost open the application window? I ask as a few other suppliers have now opened theirs and have seen in various Facebook groups people asking to know when will boost open.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
We haven't got a date for it just yet @mattj3135!

If you follow this lnk, you can pre-register:
https://www.boostpower.co.uk/help/topics/payments-and-statements/payments/how-do-i-get-the-warm-home-discount.html

This means you'll get an email notifying you when applications open!
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
thanks @Nancy_Boost I'm Registered for it already 🙂
I have recently bought a property that has the misfortune to have boost prepayment PAYG+ meter/account on it.
The property is totally run down with broken non functional boiler, very few electric lights on and no one living at the property.
I topped the account up with £90, only 6 days ago for basic supply to be available and hope that should be sufficient for atleast a month. However, got an email from boost in 6 days saying credit is about to get over and asking for top up again.

What sort of rip off is this? Can some on explain how an unoccupied property with non functional heating and electrics rack up such a consumption pattern in 6 days.

To top this, boost call centre is a joke. Have been on call for past 30 minutes and my estimated wait time is 200 minutes further. Absolutely disgusting. What is your justification of such long wait times and not having enough staff to attend the calls. Can someone explain this please?
I am having same problem. I have been with boost about 15 months. I asked to swap suppliers last week and boost have blocked me moving because they are trying to swap me to OVO Energy without my permission or any notification
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
@Rodders1969 - That's really odd to hear that you're supposedly being changed to OVO. They're our parent company, and only supply credit customers. I don't think this can be correct. Please drop the Facebook team a message with your account number, full name and DoB so they can look into this for you.

Cheers,
Nancy
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
What sort of rip off is this? Can some on explain how an unoccupied property with non functional heating and electrics rack up such a consumption pattern in 6 days.

To top this, boost call centre is a joke. Have been on call for past 30 minutes and my estimated wait time is 200 minutes further. Absolutely disgusting. What is your justification of such long wait times and not having enough staff to attend the calls. Can someone explain this please?

Sorry to hear about this, @amit. We've been really busy in the last few weeks after inheriting Economy Energy's customers. Call queues are back down to normal now and it should only take a few minutes to speak to someone. It sounds like either there's debt loaded onto the meters, or a standing charge built up while the property has been unoccupied. We can clear this for you when setting up a new account in your name, but you'd need to call the team in order to do this.
Userlevel 1
I have just moved from boost to another energy supply my bills have halfed in the matter of days I was getting nowhere when id phoned numerous times to be told all different kinds of stories there customer service is a shambles there prices are day light robbery if you can change supplies I strongly advise it before the prices go up in April ...