Solved

How can someone else switch my energy to a different supplier without my permission?

• 28 May 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
A few weeks ago Boost Power emailed me to say they were sorry I was leaving. So I emailed back telling them that I wasn't leaving and had no idea what they were talking about.
Long story short......
It turns out Shell Energy had applied to take over my supply in mistake for a neighbour. After almost 3 weeks and hours on the phone to Shell Energy to get this put right, it's finally being settled. Although I won't be back with Boost Power fully until 11th June.
My question is...... How can another energy company take over someone's supply without prior permission from the account holder? Wouldn't Boost Power check with me first before allowing the transfer to go ahead?
What if a request like this was made mischievously by someone to cause inconvenience and frustration to a neighbour?
This surely cannot be correct? Although Shell Energy won't be charging me for any use, I want reimbursement for the cost of the phone calls I've had to make to them, also some sort of compensation for all of the time I have had to put in to sorting something out that was not of my doing.
Do you think I have any chance of a claim against them?
Gazza
icon

Best answer by Emily_Boost 29 May 2019, 12:37

Hey @Gazza667

Really sorry to hear of the trouble this has caused.

We can't speak on behalf of other suppliers, but when you sign up with us we look up your address in a national database that includes your current energy details (such as your meter type, your current/previous suppliers etc...)
Sometimes the details in the list are wrong or bits are missing (especially if your property is a flat or a new build) and we may try to take over the wrong supply by mistake.

Another reason can be if the person who's signing up has signed up the incorrect address, unfortunately this is an industry wide process, and can happen to anyone. However, we all have things in place to avoid and resolve these issues should the come up!

Not everyone who chooses to switch away from us will get in touch to let us know, and as prepayment customers aren't in a contract with us we don't uphold any exit fees so customers are free to switch at any point. We wouldn't put a stop to a customers switch unless they asked us to, or if we have a reason, such as a large debt amount.

If like you said, a request was made mischievously by someone to cause inconvenience, then we wouldn't initially know this was the case, but we'd send the property a Loss notification like your received this time. On the letter/email we do advise if this isn't something you've requested we can put things in place to stopping the switch going ahead. For example we can put an objection on your account, and a block/hold to stop a supplier continuing to apply.

You can find more details about an E.T (Erroneous Transfer) on our website here.

With regards to claiming reimbursement from Shell, this is something I'd encourage you to discuss with them. I should imagine this will be dependent on the circumstances.

I hope this all gets sorted for you soon!
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Hey @Gazza667

We can't speak on behalf of other suppliers, but when you sign up with us we look up your address in a national database that includes your current energy details (such as your meter type, your current/previous suppliers etc...)
Sometimes the details in the list are wrong or bits are missing (especially if your property is a flat or a new build) and we may try to take over the wrong supply by mistake.

Another reason can be if the person who's signing up has signed up the incorrect address, unfortunately this is an industry wide process, and can happen to anyone. However, we all have things in place to avoid and resolve these issues should the come up!

Not everyone who chooses to switch away from us will get in touch to let us know, and as prepayment customers aren't in a contract with us we don't uphold any exit fees so customers are free to switch at any point. We wouldn't put a stop to a customers switch unless they asked us to, or if we have a reason, such as a large debt amount.

If like you said, a request was made mischievously by someone to cause inconvenience, then we wouldn't initially know this was the case, but we'd send the property a Loss notification like your received this time. On the letter/email we do advise if this isn't something you've requested we can put things in place to stopping the switch going ahead. For example we can put an objection on your account, and a block/hold to stop a supplier continuing to apply.

You can find more details about an E.T (Erroneous Transfer) on our website here.

With regards to claiming reimbursement from Shell, this is something I'd encourage you to discuss with them. I should imagine this will be dependent on the circumstances.

Userlevel 1
Hey @Gazza667

Hi.
Thanks for your reply. I do understand that being a prepay customer does hold some limitations. Especially in a HMO. I do still have credit on my account with yourselves and have noticed it being used on a daily basis. So hopefully there won't be any debt once this is all sorted.
Thanks for explaining things. I'm going to approach Shell Energy in writing and enclose my phone bill so they see howuch it has cost. Then see what, if anything, they come up with.
Gazza
Userlevel 3
Badge
You're welcome @Gazza667.

It's likely your account is still being charged a daily standing charge. This will be deduced off your usage you've used within this time.

As you won't need to pay Shell anything, what you can do to avoid a debt amount when you return to us, is continue to top up your averagely week amount on your online account/app. Any credit on there will be deduced off the final balance owed.

I hope you get this resolved with them soon!

Cheers 🙂