Tutorial

Haven't got a payment card yet? Generate your own bar code!

• 2 November 2020
  • 6 replies
Haven't got a payment card yet? Generate your own bar code!
Userlevel 4

Don’t know why I didn’t think of this before, still waiting for my prepay card and barcode to be sorted, however worked out why not just generate your own one? Well it works even tested a barcode app on Android phone and it works, it’s just your prepay card number in a barcode.

https://barcode.tec-it.com/en

Just put your registered card number into this (without spaces or dashes, just numbers!) and you can save the barcode to your phone or print it and use it to top up with :-)

Use this at your own risk, always double check the number and always keep your receipt with the VEND code on!

Hope this helps

Regards

Nick

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @AztecUK 

This is a fantastic post, a brilliant thing to have for people to get help with creating a barcode whilst waiting for that physical code. And this topic is what community powered support is all about. Member of the month alert!!!

I’m going to convert this topic into an article and jazz it up a bit with some special features, to help others find it!

Dear Boost,

Since taking on our second home in January 2021 we have two very long numbers for topping up our Boost smart meters which I think are both first generation.

Is there any cards available with the a barcode or anything similar?   

Some shops think you have passed them something very unsavoury when passing the sheet over with the long numbers for them to type in manually.  Some shop staff seem to struggle with what to do in this instance without a card.   Generally Co-Op staff are competent though and helpful.  

Also, I have my suspicions that we might had the odd occasion when topping up the meter has not topped up because of communication issues.  Is there anywhere to check on the meter when it was last topped up?

Regards,

David

Userlevel 3
Badge

A great question to ask about the best ways to get topped up, @davidbrock54.

As you mention having smart meters installed it’s worth checking out the Boost app. As long as your meters are in communication the app allows you to top-up without the need to visit a Paypoint, you can also check the previous top-ups you’ve made here too. You can find out more about making the most of the app features here:

If you’d rather continue topping-up via a Paypoint there’s a way you can generate your own Barcode which you can show the cashier instead - check out the advice given in the top post as we’ve moved your comment over to a great user-created guide to this process.

In terms of the smart meter communication issues you’ve mentioned, this can be a tricky one. If there’s been a top-up made which you suspect hasn’t been reflected on your balance it’s worth checking in with our Support Team (by calling 0330 102 7517 on a landline or 0117 332 3728 from a mobile) who can confirm your historic top-ups. Any ‘pending’ payments should be refunded within 5 days if they don’t appear on your meter balance. You are also able to check the actual balance on the meter via the In-Home Display or the meter screen and add your top-ups manually if needed. Check out these relevant FAQs on our app guide:

Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter? How can I tell the difference?

A SMETS1 meter has a meter keypad with numbers, and a red and blue A and B button. 

If you have a SMETS2 smart meter, it’ll just have the 2 red and blue buttons, but no keypad. 

Why isn’t my top up showing on my meter or IHD?

It’s normal for smart meters to lose signal from time to time, just like mobile phones. This means it might take longer than usual for your top-up to show up as energy credit. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to see your top-ups on your meter, but you can always add them manually too. Read on for more info. 

How do I top up my SMETS1 meters manually?

After making a payment, it takes up to 30 minutes (for electricity) and 60 minutes (for gas) for the money to show on your meter. If it doesn’t, you can give it a little push.

For this, you’ll need the 20-digit code on your PayPoint receipt. This is why it’s always best to keep your receipts safe.

• Press on your gas or electricity meter

• Enter the code from your receipt

• Tap B to confirm and it’s all done!

If you top up online or via your app, PayPoint will either email them to you or send them via text.

If you’ve lost power and your top-up takes your balance above £0, your meter will start doing safety checks. If it detects gas, the power won’t switch on, so make sure all gas appliances are off before trying to reconnect. If the meter has disconnected, you can reconnect it by pressing AAB (SMETS1) or holding and B at the same time (SMETS2).

Hope this info is helpful - let us know if you’ve got any further questions. We’re always happy to help here where we can! :slight_smile:

Userlevel 2

2 weeks ago I  phoned to say that I  had been using my old economy energy cards because my boost cards hadn't been sent out. It was only a letter from boost that reminded me that  I hadn't  chased up not getting them. They told me they would send out bar codes which would work in the same way as the cards. They sent a new electric card number via the messaging system on my smart meter. About a week later I still hadn't received the new bar codes and I  phoned again and was told that they had been requested.  On Tuesday they still hadn't arrived and I  was starting to panic because I hadn't received my new gas card number. I  phoned again and explained that I  was still waiting for the bar codes and hadn't received my new gas card number. The lady put me on hold and was able send me my new gas card number and was able to help me put it on the ap. She also told me it normally takes 5 days which was Tuesday and please could I give it another day. Owing to work commitments I've given it 2 days and still no paper bar codes. Please can someone tell me when I  can expect to receive  these.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Denise Bowman and thanks for your post. I’ve moved it to this great topic as I think it will help. 

If you’ve got your PAN numbers (which are shown on the Boost top up app) you can create your own barcode using the instructions in this topic. 

Don’t know why I didn’t think of this before, still waiting for my prepay card and barcode to be sorted, however worked out why not just generate your own one? Well it works even tested a barcode app on Android phone and it works, it’s just your prepay card number in a barcode.

https://barcode.tec-it.com/en

Just put your registered card number into this (without spaces or dashes, just numbers!) and you can save the barcode to your phone or print it and use it to top up with :-)

Use this at your own risk, always double check the number and always keep your receipt with the VEND code on!

I’m sorry that we can’t advise you on why this letter hasn’t arrived from the Boost Support team. They might be better placed to answer this account specific question on live chat

But the power’s in your hands to top up even without these paper barcodes. Use those instructions to create your own barcode, or top up directly on the app. :)

Userlevel 2

Tim I've taken a look at this but don't understand it. I  will phone on my next day off as I  find Web sites confusing.