It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and with that comes… decorations!
We know many of you will be gearing up to deck your homes out with delightful lights and festive fir trees. But home much is this going to cost over the festive period?
We’ve got some figures for you!
- The average string of fairy lights has 100 bulbs on it. This uses 40W.
- Households usually have around 5 strings of lights up.
- We’re basing this calculation on a 30 day period.
- On average, lights are left on for 6 hours a day.
- Our average cost per kWh of electricity is 17p.
This would make the monthly cost £8.94
If you have 200 lights on a string, or 10 strings of 100, you can double this to £17.88
A large feature on the roof or in the garden (like the ones pictured below) with 3W bulbs would cost roughly £2.67 to run for 6 hours a day for 30 days. You can add that onto the total for each one of these on the roof!
With this in mind, is anyone thinking twice about lights? Time to dust off the baubles instead?